Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really liked it. The show feels like someone mashed two different shows together to get a story told, but the Sherlocky police parts are actually quite good. They also never do the cheap rear end-pull of obscuring details to make the detective look smart late, everything they deduce is properly laid out from what you see happening.

I'd honestly love to see them ditch the more supernatural elements and just make a straight show about the RPD, because the cast is a good solid pseudo-Section 9.

On the subject of Netflix anime, Sirius the Jager's also well worth a watch if you want to see werewolf-vs-vampire action in the 1910's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the subject of Netflix anime, Sirius the Jager's also well worth a watch if you want to see werewolf-vs-vampire action in the 1910's.

I remember starting that one; the cast was pretty good, the action was rad, the plot was incredibly stupid in an entertaining way. I was just kinda annoyed that nobody except the hero seemed allowed to have any action scenes, ever. They seemed too cool for hanging around with protagonist man #2351.

Do they ever get any sweet action stuff?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Is B: The Beginning any good? There was a pretty sweet AMV in the Akross Con contest this past year that used it.

It's a slightly less good Darker Then Black.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pootybutt posted:

It's a slightly less good Darker Then Black.

I'm assuming you mean season 1, because that statement has a completely different meaning if you are talking about season 2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Aico and B were like the initial wave of Netflix anime, and they were pretty legit watchable, until Sword Guy ruined the streak. At this point Netflix is just another part of the seasonal anim ecosystem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does the Darker Than Black manga make it any clearer how the two seasons relate to each other, or actually follow Hei's story to completion instead of getting distracted with random new characters?

e: apparently S2 was written by someone else while the manga is also a sequel, written by the original author, and simply replaces S2. literally an entire season-length Bones ending -- no wonder it sucked so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darker than black s2 was alright. a few plot threads were pretty random and some characters from s1 got screwed over but i liked a lot of the new characters and there were some pretty charming character beats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does the Darker Than Black manga make it any clearer how the two seasons relate to each other, or actually follow Hei's story to completion instead of getting distracted with random new characters?

e: apparently S2 was written by someone else while the manga is also a sequel, written by the original author, and simply replaces S2. literally an entire season-length Bones ending -- no wonder it sucked so much

Well that and the focus on the underage girl pulling a rifle out of her chest :yikes:.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it comes out of her necklace in a magical girl transformation sequence, no need to handwring so hard

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

FYI, there are OVAs that are supposed to link the two seasons together. At least I heard it explains the whole Yin Situation. I didn't watch them myself, so I can't say anything about their quality or if they actually do a good job of making some of the plot stuff in season 2 less confusing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the darker than black OVAs rule and do a decent job bridging the two series yeah

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm assuming you mean season 1, because that statement has a completely different meaning if you are talking about season 2.

Yeah s1 def, you can p much draw a straight line from it to later fare like B the Beginning and Sirius the Jaeger or even Tokyo Ghoul, urban noir-ish self-serious shows about mutants getting by in the underworld w equal parts mean streak ultraviolence and an occasionally loopy sense of humor.

I went back and watched a handful of the s1 eps I remembered most a few weeks ago and DtB is good. Certain moments, like the intro to ep5 where you meet Mr. Smith, or the pivotal moments in Hwang's focus arc are executed w real Capitol P Panache, and the fantastic ost is constantly elevating the proceedings. The s1 oav is my fave of all of em cuz it's p much straight comedy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pootybutt posted:

Yeah s1 def, you can p much draw a straight line from it to later fare like B the Beginning and Sirius the Jaeger or even Tokyo Ghoul, urban noir-ish self-serious shows about mutants getting by in the underworld w equal parts mean streak ultraviolence and an occasionally loopy sense of humor.

i mean i think a lot of that energy just comes from Devilman when you get right down to it

it's a frustrating sub-genre because I really do like the aesthetic but so many of those shows don't really seem to have anything to say beyond "drat, isn't this cool." occasionally you get something like Parasyte which focuses all the ultraviolence and interwoven conspiracies into a central point but for every one of those you have a dozen of Zetman or Gantz w/e

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2020

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean i think a lot of that energy just comes from Devilman when you get right down to it

it's a frustrating sub-genre because I really do like the aesthetic but so many of those shows don't really seem to have anything to say beyond "drat, isn't this cool." occasionally you get something like Parasyte which focuses all the ultraviolence and interwoven conspiracies into a central point but for every one of those you have a dozen of Zetman or Gantz w/e

Haha most def, I feel you. It's not a flavor I'm a big fan of either, like I never got much into B or Sirius. The subgenre gets a bit too selfserious for my tastes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished s1 of B: The Beginning.

Pretty good overall. The ending theme loving slaps, and it has some of the best representations of faster-than-sight fighting I've ever seen. But the story seemed super muddled, like it was two completely different anime frankenstein'd together. It just didn't feel like there was enough overlap between Keith's and Koku's stories. But, hey. I'll still probably watch season 2 when it comes out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

Just finished s1 of B: The Beginning.

Pretty good overall. The ending theme loving slaps, and it has some of the best representations of faster-than-sight fighting I've ever seen. But the story seemed super muddled, like it was two completely different anime frankenstein'd together. It just didn't feel like there was enough overlap between Keith's and Koku's stories. But, hey. I'll still probably watch season 2 when it comes out.

There's another season coming?! :stwoon:

Also I agree with everything you said about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's another season coming?! :stwoon:

Also I agree with everything you said about it.

It was confirmed for renewal just a few months after season one was released, but Netflix has been tight lipped on when it's actually coming out. :shrug:

Antron Qyzippa
Oct 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I'm retiring from anime. Gonna do like a Kurt Angel thing and quit WWF to wrestle on TNA Impact about it and read some other stuff.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Antron Qyzippa posted:

I'm retiring from anime. Gonna do like a Kurt Angel thing and quit WWF to wrestle on TNA Impact about it and read some other stuff.

Mashallah

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey everyone. I asked a friend about lighthearted slice-of-life stuff and he suggested K-On and Gakkou Gurashi. I've just finished the latter (Really enjoyed it even though it was a hilarious bait-and-switch on my friend's part) and I've just started to watch the former. Anyways, I've realized I really like this genre, where the focus is put on the interaction between the main cast. As someone whose experience with anime has always been stuff like Gundam, Yugioh or Inuyasha, it's been very fun to see storylines where there's basically no fighting (or at least, it's not central to the plot). Any recommendations?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you're okay with something a bit more dramatic, sound! euphonium is from the same director as k-on and largely everything out of it is great, including the movies and the tv seasons

there's also a place further than the universe

hidamari sketch is a very long one but it starts out pretty decent and gets continuously better as it goes on, and it has a very unique visual flair

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 15, 2020

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Azran posted:

Hey everyone. I asked a friend about lighthearted slice-of-life stuff and he suggested K-On and Gakkou Gurashi. I've just finished the latter (Really enjoyed it even though it was a hilarious bait-and-switch on my friend's part) and I've just started to watch the former. Anyways, I've realized I really like this genre, where the focus is put on the interaction between the main cast. As someone whose experience with anime has always been stuff like Gundam, Yugioh or Inuyasha, it's been very fun to see storylines where there's basically no fighting (or at least, it's not central to the plot). Any recommendations?

Azumanga Daioh is a pretty classic/time-honored one.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is by the same studio as K-On, and considered some of their best work.

I’d recommend Lucky Star, but I’m not sure if it holds up without my massive nostalgia for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lucky star is really good but it starts very shaky, the first few episodes are the weakest by a lot. after like episode 4 it pretty much gets its bearings and has lots of strong moments

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really azumanga daioh is the more poorly aged one considering it has about 8 gags about a young lesbian being sexually harassed by her male teacher. this is comedy.

Azran posted:

encouragement of climb is a short anime that really nails the characters, very breezy watch. yuru camp rules too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

Gamers is exactly what you're looking for. Just give it a few episodes to get started, because the first one's a deliberate fakeout.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think i'd describe ep 1 of gamers as a deliberate fakeout as much as just not very funny, while the episodes afterwards are fairly amusing on average but also increasingly detached from uh video game jokes unless you want to see a manga author try to make a very limp joke about his vague memories of the critical reception of tales of phantasia

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Azran posted:

Non Non Biyori is my personal favorite. really prettily directed pastoral comedy

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Acchi Kocchi is a personal favorite slice-of-life that tends to get overlooked. It's got some really great bits of animation, and in a rarity for the genre, there are actually boys (!) as part of the cast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i don't think i'd describe ep 1 of gamers as a deliberate fakeout as much as just not very funny, while the episodes afterwards are fairly amusing on average but also increasingly detached from uh video game jokes unless you want to see a manga author try to make a very limp joke about his vague memories of the critical reception of tales of phantasia

If you're actually watching it for game-related elements, you're really paying attention to the wrong part of the show tbh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean i'm not making a harsh critical judgment i just think it's kind of goofy that the show that advertises itself as about gamers is actively at its best when nobody is playing video games

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

Non Non Biyori is my personal favorite. really prettily directed pastoral comedy
It is indeed very good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i mean i'm not making a harsh critical judgment i just think it's kind of goofy that the show that advertises itself as about gamers is actively at its best when nobody is playing video games

Oh, I absolutely agree in that case. :hmmyes:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless especially if you want to watch something very relaxing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Azran posted:

I'll second the recommendations for Yuru Camp and Non Non Biyori in particular - they're both very cozy, pastoral light comedies with new seasons coming up in January - and I'll also throw New Game! on the pile if you're looking for a bit more of a work-com. The second season in particular is really great.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Azran posted:

I'll second Encouragement of Climb and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. Other ones I've enjoyed include Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys, and Yuru Yuri.

Also you can watch all of Wakakozake in the time it takes to watch one episode of a regular full length tv anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I also really enjoyed Girls Last Tour, though I don't think I can call it light-hearted given the setting, though it definitely has a lot of lighthearted and goofy moments throughout.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's a bit old and I'm not sure where you'd find it these days, but I remember enjoying Potemayo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Daily lives of high school boys is a treasure

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations! Lots of stuff to distract myself with during quarantine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Everything Burrito posted:

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless especially if you want to watch something very relaxing

Loved this show and it also has the nicest fictional high school I've ever seen

Also Laid Back Camp is a super comfy show about outdoor camping (duh) and cooking