Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have absolutely no idea what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I spent the better part of 2 days blitzing through the 60ish chapters from where the anime ended to catch up and I'm definitely in a bit of a state from it all.

I'm not sure I actually love the direction the series has gone but I cannot deny that it has been a compelling, if not riveting experience.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Squidster posted:

Are they performing the most metal fusion dance imaginable? Will Cinnabar be Phos's missing piece?

Well, Phos did promise to find Cinnabar a job only Cinnabar can do, so...

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
New Chapter
Phos is looking a little tired

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well they're ready to achieve enlightenment.

I like how everyone macabrely joked that Phos had fulfilled their promise to Cinnabarr by becoming the villain so that they could join the other gems, but no yeah that's exactly how Cinnabarr took it. That's rough.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Phos is looking very Adamant there. I guess he cracked because he recognizes them as a human.

Become human through sufficient suffering.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think Phos finally won guys.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Looks like Adamant finally found the perfect job for Phos his own Ganbatte!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's finally time to become Enlightened

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ahhhh!!!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It's also going on hiatus for a while :(

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Every time I think Phos has hit pinnacle suffering, it keeps getting worse. :smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Julias posted:

Naturally. It's going to take months of research to develop ways for Phos to suffer more.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yet again Phos and Cinnabar have been left behind :(

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Naturally. It's going to take months of research to develop ways for Phos to suffer more.

I definitely think the author is plotting the ending at this point and the hiatus is figuring out how to do it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this is the best manga in the world

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

poo poo loving hurts man

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sindai posted:

Demon's Souls counts as research, right? :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So hold on Phos SHOULDN'T be the only one left on Earth, because there's still the SEA population of slugs right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they never bothered to interact with the gems until the lunarians coerced them into it.

also, the 10k years is just how long phos will be left alone until they inherit adamant's power. afterward, the idea is that they pray away all of the lunarians which now includes the gems. you know, thus leaving phos alone for as long as they last without killing themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 25, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Julias posted:

For ten thousand years!!!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

goblin week posted:

For ten thousand years!!!

Sounds about right for 2020 to end.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, any idea how long this hiatus is suppose to be?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Until we all reach Enlightenment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, any idea how long this hiatus is suppose to be?
Does it matter when Phos has triumphed?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched this video essay and got all nostalgic for how good this series is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZR9yFa7Bx8

I’m almost unsure if I’d ever want a season 2 cause of how perfect the first was. The chance they wouldn’t be able to get some of the crew back and it just wouldn’t be quite as good. Maybe better to let it be the sort of self contained masterpiece it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I also rediscovered my other favourite Houseki video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8q7raJMAs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYmSS7jrQuc

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
There's an aillustrator who's done a bunch of really cool HnK AMV's who goes by Pirika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OThaIJRa31A

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

x

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That would be an incredible promo art for next season of Houseki no Kuni anime. :unsmigghh:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Holy moly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I sorta expect the manga to end at chapter 108 given how important that number is in regards to Buddhism and reincarnation so presumably the hiatus is the planning to get to and finish that number. And hopefully, once that's all sorted out, an S2 will be made to promote it and we can finally see our beloved Phos again and their suffering

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I sorta expect the manga to end at chapter 108 given how important that number is in regards to Buddhism and reincarnation so presumably the hiatus is the planning to get to and finish that number. And hopefully, once that's all sorted out, an S2 will be made to promote it and we can finally see our beloved Phos again and their suffering

That’d be smart. I’m really hoping the author manages to make that work with the story pace so it doesn’t end up like other manga that have been hamstrung by feeling they had to end at a predetermined chapter number.

Comics are so hard, you don’t get to finish a full draft like a novel and then go back to edit and fix the full story, it has to work from the get go... easy to write oneself into a corner

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-WGRKNdgw

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Starting the anime I had the lowest expectations ever for this franchise. Somehow it turned into one of the most interesting shows I have ever seen. The characters are just amazing.

I keep going back and rewatching the earlier episodes where Phos is more naive and headstrong.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My brain waiting for the haitus to be over

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The manga isn't all that high effort but every now and then it amazes me with shots like this.

And you know.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 29, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The manga isn’t crazy with detail but it is exceptionally well designed. This video essay really demonstrates just what a master the author is at composition:

Since Miura’s death, Houseki is now the number one manga I want to see completed that still has a good chance of finishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

The manga isn’t crazy with detail but it is exceptionally well designed. This video essay really demonstrates just what a master the author is at composition:

Since Miura’s death, Houseki is now the number one manga I want to see completed that still has a good chance of finishing.

Their hiatus hasn't been that long at least