Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

It's still pretty sad. Especially since the Titans weren't nearly as unopposed as some other factions who did a similar "Eh, get something cheap" approach, and those .

Like, the next time the EFSF settled on a Mobile Suit that fell behind the curve, it was the reliable Jegan. The Leo's terrible, but it's heavily modular, and nobody else had Mobile Suits anyway. And the Graze is actually pretty good.

The Hi-Zack... sucks. A lot. You'd be better off in a OYW vintage GM, despite seven years of Mobile Suit development. Sure, the Hi-Zack was a little faster, somewhat more mobile, and it had an ALEX style panoramic cockpit, but you had to choose between a beam saber or a beam rifle (while the GM could have both), the armor was lighter, and you didn't have vulcans as a last ditch backup weapon.

Even the areas (other than cockpit design) where it had an edge over GMs were outperformed by high end suits from most of a decade earlier like the GM Command, the Sniper Custom, the Gelgoog, and the ever-reliable Sniper II.

It's a deeply weird suit in the context of later shows, and even without them, it's kind of narratively weak. It's harder for the Titans to feel like bad guy Feddies when they're the ones in Zakus.

The Hi-Zack makes way more sense with it's original sourcebook origin(that they're literally just upgraded surplus Zaku II units) than the later one that's the current explanation(brand new unit that happened to be mostly designed by former Zeon MS designers and thus looks a lot like a Zaku)

Of course even then it's still a worse unit than the Act Zaku which is not only much older than the Hi-Zack(and yet can use both a beam saber and a beam rifle) but was adopted as a Federation Mass Production unit too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Feel like our point of reference in regards to the Hizack vs. OYW suits is that it was maybe about on par with the Galbaldy beta, which is federation version of a design that was rejected in favor of the Gelgoog.

edit: honestly I was wondering if there was some bit of lost lore about them being heavily refitted Zaku IIs, like how a lot of GM IIs were refitted original GMs.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 28, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Feel like our point of reference in regards to the Hizack vs. OYW suits is that it was maybe about on par with the Galbaldy beta, which is federation version of a design that was rejected in favor of the Gelgoog.

edit: honestly I was wondering if there was some bit of lost lore about them being heavily refitted Zaku IIs, like how a lot of GM IIs were refitted original GMs.

And GM III's too(I vaguely recall reading that some Nemo's got upgraded into GM III as well cause apparently the Nemo and the GM II were mostly identical internally*)

*which makes sense considering Nemo means No One

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Nemo is just Anaheim flexing their reach by reselling GMs to the AEUG with a new coat of paint for plausible deniability reasons. At least the Nemos were more than up to snuff rather than the refurbished 0079 GMs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly when it comes to grunt suits "is capable of firing a beam rifle" and "is capable of moving relatively smoothly and quickly" is all you need when it comes to mass production. More weaponry is of limited effectiveness unless you're dealing with completely insane poo poo like funnels or unless the enemy is deploying something with an I-Field and both of those are so relatively rare it isn't worth considering. (Not to mention they MP'd the F91 anyway and VSRBs are basically a fantastic catch-all weapon.)

I really never got the impression from Crossbones that the F91 was mass produced, so much as it was produced in limited numbers. Then again, I'd say the say about the Victory Gundam and X; two other units that are regularly referred to as being mass produced. We just never see enough of any of them for it to seem like actual mass production on the scale of hundreds, or even thousands, rather than maybe a few dozen. The X is especially weird in that regard, because the Flash System requires a Newtype pilot, so there'd be literally no point to mass producing them unless the Bit Mobile Suit variants were counted as X's too.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean the thing is beyond the ease of use I'm not even sure about how much better the Hizack is than said leftover OYW junk.

That said them not having any real enemies meaning they were going to cheap the gently caress out on equipment is the realistic and disappointingly mundane answer.

The Titans are a fascist organization, so they spout off about power constantly; it makes far more sense for them to have the shiniest toys and shows of strength at all times, regardless of the strength of any enemies than to almost immediately fall back on cheaping out when they have no perceived enemies. Not to mention that fascism thrives on creating a new outsider to point the citizenry towards anyway.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

fascists may care about making shows of strength but they are perfectly okay being all bark and no bite, so it makes perfect sense they'd be just as incompetent and corrupt as every other form of government, if not more so since they reward being an insecure macho rear end in a top hat on the outside

Burns
May 10, 2008

The Titans couldnt even do facism properly, lol.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Nazis had the fanciest field uniforms in all of the WW2. To the point where their regular field uniforms looked better than other military's dress uniforms. Of course, Nazi field uniforms were also more complicated and more expensive to make than other army's dress uniforms, which was a huge waste of resources. Looking crisp offers no combat advantage in the Russian mud. In this way, the Hi-Zack fails as well. Because at least it should look cooler than the typical Zeon officer's Zaku. But it doesn't, the Hi-Zack doesn't come close to the visuals of stuff like the Tri-Stars' Zakus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/pussyronin/status/1310655530285903878?s=20

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

newtype powers come from hotboxing your mobile suit

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

golden bubble posted:

The Nazis had the fanciest field uniforms in all of the WW2. To the point where their regular field uniforms looked better than other military's dress uniforms. Of course, Nazi field uniforms were also more complicated and more expensive to make than other army's dress uniforms, which was a huge waste of resources.

Worth noting along these lines that the German army supply lines were largely still horse drawn, and most of their non-armor vehicles were taken from France who surrendered without having used up any of their material. A huge portion of those French cars and trucks were sent to the East and were used to supply the attack on russia.

loving french.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

golden bubble posted:

The Nazis had the fanciest field uniforms in all of the WW2. To the point where their regular field uniforms looked better than other military's dress uniforms. Of course, Nazi field uniforms were also more complicated and more expensive to make than other army's dress uniforms, which was a huge waste of resources. Looking crisp offers no combat advantage in the Russian mud. In this way, the Hi-Zack fails as well. Because at least it should look cooler than the typical Zeon officer's Zaku. But it doesn't, the Hi-Zack doesn't come close to the visuals of stuff like the Tri-Stars' Zakus.

It's especially notable with how flashy Haman's mobile suits are.

The Titans were mostly talented pilots in crap Mobile Suits, which is the opposite of the general purpose of the Titans in the narrative. They're bullies and thugs, mostly oppressing unarmed colonists with a massive budget and unlimited power. But... still in Zakus.

Contrast with Haman, who has the most powerful MP suits in the UC... piloted by rookies so green they tend to kill themselves.

It feels like Zeta and ZZ were still trying to work out what the MP suits were supposed to do in the narrative, leaving some awkward decisions.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I remain astonished that the Doven Wolf was actually mass produced considering it has about as much dakka as the ZZ Gundam, and the ZZ Gundam is notoriously an overtuned nightmare of a machine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I'm about to embark on what's probably the nerdiest waste of time I've ever engaged in, basically every year the Homestar Runner website does a Fan Costumes video for the Halloween season where they showcase the best and(mostly) worst costumes fans have submitted with Strong Bad providing funny commentary, my idea for a submission is a little different, I'm going to try and recreate the cast of Homestar Runner as Gunpla in Gundam Breaker 3

And yes I'm aware this idea is probably a sign of early onset dementia and/or demonic possession

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Are we taking bets on which it is? Because I'll put :10bux: on Demonic Possession.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Homestar Runner is still going? Holy poo poo

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm about to embark on what's probably the nerdiest waste of time I've ever engaged in, basically every year the Homestar Runner website does a Fan Costumes video for the Halloween season where they showcase the best and(mostly) worst costumes fans have submitted with Strong Bad providing funny commentary, my idea for a submission is a little different, I'm going to try and recreate the cast of Homestar Runner as Gunpla in Gundam Breaker 3

And yes I'm aware this idea is probably a sign of early onset dementia and/or demonic possession

Yeah, I'm concerned you might think this is 2003 and Bush just gave his Mission Accomplished speech...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Homestar Runner is still going? Holy poo poo

Yup, though their output is a little low these days cause their main focus has been working on an HTML conversion of the site since Flash is dying

The real scary fact is that Neurotically Yours is still going

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, though their output is a little low these days cause their main focus has been working on an HTML conversion of the site since Flash is dying

The real scary fact is that Neurotically Yours is still going

This is like some spacejam.com poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Warmachine posted:

This is like some spacejam.com poo poo.

A bit, also this is harder than I thought it would be, partially cause one of my main choices to use for parts isn't in GB3, I mjght need to put some more thought into this idea...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah but it's not like megatokyo is still--

--ah poo poo it still is, huh?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

And of course Penny Arcade is still going too

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

If you take a very broad definition of still going.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the wild thing about homestar runner is it died for like a decade and then came back and was just as good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/BadTTRPGs/status/1310744760261328899?s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

the wild thing about homestar runner is it died for like a decade and then came back and was just as good

They also made another series for Disney that's basically Homestar without the Homestar cast. Two More Eggs. Trauncles is a standout.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I really liked re:Rise and want more like it, what are my options? Obviously including non-Gundam anime because, well, you know.

I've already watched everything else Gundam Build except Island Wars, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Overman King Gainer (and to a lesser extent, Xabungle) are already on the list.

Are any of the SD Gundam things good and available in english?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hell yeah:madmax:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

If I really liked re:Rise and want more like it, what are my options? Obviously including non-Gundam anime because, well, you know.

I've already watched everything else Gundam Build except Island Wars, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

What about it did you like specifically?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

It's especially notable with how flashy Haman's mobile suits are.

The Titans were mostly talented pilots in crap Mobile Suits, which is the opposite of the general purpose of the Titans in the narrative. They're bullies and thugs, mostly oppressing unarmed colonists with a massive budget and unlimited power. But... still in Zakus.

Contrast with Haman, who has the most powerful MP suits in the UC... piloted by rookies so green they tend to kill themselves.

It feels like Zeta and ZZ were still trying to work out what the MP suits were supposed to do in the narrative, leaving some awkward decisions.

The Titans are only in Hizacks at the start, really. They start busting out Marasais very early, and then the rest of the show is them rapidly climbing up the tech ladder with new and scary prototypes popping out on a constant basis.

Haman actually does a similar thing, what with Zeta Axis showing up with a bunch of trashheap Gazas and then busting out all the wacky ZZ Neo Zeon suits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wdarkk posted:

You ever watch Summer Wars (the Mamoru Hosoda movie)? That should scratch some of your itch.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kanos posted:

The Titans are only in Hizacks at the start, really. They start busting out Marasais very early, and then the rest of the show is them rapidly climbing up the tech ladder with new and scary prototypes popping out on a constant basis.

Haman actually does a similar thing, what with Zeta Axis showing up with a bunch of trashheap Gazas and then busting out all the wacky ZZ Neo Zeon suits.

The Titans get a lot of crazy prototypes and whatnot, but the Hizack is shown to be their main grunt suit by a pretty wide margin. IIRC it’s only around the time of Zedan or a little before that where the Marasai is actually replaces it in significant numbers, and even then the Hizacks are still around.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

What about it did you like specifically?

1. I feel like the tone hit my "easy viewing" sweetspot, where I definitely believed things would turn out ok but knew there was a possibility they wouldn't. Something like first Gundam I have to be in the right mood for.
2. I feel like the character development and themes fit together well. Like, I can see why Par would build a flying dragon gunpla and then be really reluctant to fly with it, and then build an improved model based on Cuadron. And Kazami's transformation from awful to cool was great.
3. This is probably pretty personal but I feel like I needed to hear what it was saying after the big plans I made last year to improve things for myself were 2020'd off a bridge into a flaming dumpster. Not exactly expecting this lightning to strike twice.

Darth Walrus posted:

You ever watch Summer Wars (the Mamoru Hosoda movie)? That should scratch some of your itch.

Oh shoot yeah, I've heard about that one. Putting it on the list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

And of course Penny Arcade is still going too

I don't think you can really ding Penny Arcade for still existing, considering they have actually expanded considerably beyond the webcomic rather than just merely plugging onwards indefinitely out of inertia as some have.

wdarkk posted:

Infinite Dendrobium is actually pretty decent and might scratch that itch.

wdarkk posted:

Your english-watching option here is the Doozy Bots unreleased pilot :v:.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think you can really ding Penny Arcade for still existing, considering they have actually expanded considerably beyond the webcomic rather than just merely plugging onwards indefinitely out of inertia as some have.

Infinite Dendrobium is actually pretty decent and might scratch that itch.

Did your phone just autocorrect Dendrogram into Dendrobium?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your english-watching option here is the Doozy Bots unreleased pilot :v:.

Maybe if I feel like watching Build Fighters Try again I could do that instead.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

wdarkk posted:

1. I feel like the tone hit my "easy viewing" sweetspot, where I definitely believed things would turn out ok but knew there was a possibility they wouldn't. Something like first Gundam I have to be in the right mood for.
2. I feel like the character development and themes fit together well. Like, I can see why Par would build a flying dragon gunpla and then be really reluctant to fly with it, and then build an improved model based on Cuadron. And Kazami's transformation from awful to cool was great.
3. This is probably pretty personal but I feel like I needed to hear what it was saying after the big plans I made last year to improve things for myself were 2020'd off a bridge into a flaming dumpster. Not exactly expecting this lightning to strike twice.

This is me waving my endless primary fandom flagrantly, but have you watched much Digimon? Digimon Universe Appli monsters is on Crunchyroll and it's really good and feels pretty close to Re:Rise.

Also there's Planet With, which I will never not recommend. Watch Planet With.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wdarkk posted:

Did your phone just autocorrect Dendrogram into Dendrobium?

No, I blame having this discussion in the Gundam thread :cripes:.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's weird, for some reason my phone seems to think Kamille is a woman's name.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Xarbala posted:

That's weird, for some reason my phone seems to think Kamille is a woman's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Well, it was nice knowing you, Xarbala.

...Wait, I just remembered how this works.

I would like to make it clear to any AEUG members reading this that I do not know Xarbala, and that my death would not lead to any kind of an impact on anyone's character arc commenting on the cycle of revenge.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 29, 2020