Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Someone pointed out that this makes Whitebeard look like Big Show and I can't stop seeing that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah I see this manga is by The One Piece Getter

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
the weird part about boichi is like every other of the corner of the internet i read loves his hyper-detailed art for some reason????

his more cartoony art is p good, but eesh

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
yeah I don't really like his art and I especially don't think it's a very good fit for One Piece

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh wait, this is fuckin' Boichi? They let him do One Piece again?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Is Oda letting Nami and Usopp fight again

Do I dare dream

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s about time, I don’t think they’ve gotten a fight yet since Luffy and Zoro have been bogarting that poo poo since the New World started.

thinking about it, was it that overfocused pre-skip? Like actual fights and not offscreen slaughters like Zoro vs Drum Kingdom? I feel like Luffy and Zoro got more but usually not that much more than the rest of the crew once Nami got her Clima Tact.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Usopp fights are my favourites. IMO we haven't had a good one since Usopp vs. Perona, back in Thriller Bark.

I can't remember Nami having a proper fight since Kalifa in Enies Lobby. It feels like ever since then she's been relegated to crowd control/support roles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Page One and Ulti vs Nami and Usopp will be interesting as the former seem to be all about close combat and their Dino strength as far as we've seen while the latter two are the ones who're best at fighting indirectly.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm really hoping we get the fight at all. I'm crossing my fingers that we've mostly gotten clashes and one-hit defeats is because Oda is trying to rush things along because of something super special going on with Chapter 1,000.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh wait, this is fuckin' Boichi? They let him do One Piece again?

Yup
Seems like boichis getting pretty popular.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No Wave posted:

It just seems irresponsible to go out to sea with 4% body fat...
Gather up all of your friends
It's time to ship out Binks's tren

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
oh weird, i really liked the art in that ace special. i mean, i vastly prefer odas, but its cool to see one piece in different directions from time to time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

euphemism posted:

the weird part about boichi is like every other of the corner of the internet i read loves his hyper-detailed art for some reason????

his more cartoony art is p good, but eesh

One of the downsides of his hyper-detailed art is that it makes his ultra-stylised female character designs look even creepier.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jassa posted:

Usopp fights are my favourites. IMO we haven't had a good one since Usopp vs. Perona, back in Thriller Bark.

I can't remember Nami having a proper fight since Kalifa in Enies Lobby. It feels like ever since then she's been relegated to crowd control/support roles.
His fight against Sugar was slightly unconventional, but really really good. It was a good sniper battle- just one shot- but the stakes were incredibly high (she just needed to touch Luffy and basically everything would be over), and the shot he had to make was elaborate enough to be impressive as it unfolded. And the climax was amazing.

tbp posted:

oh weird, i really liked the art in that ace special. i mean, i vastly prefer odas, but its cool to see one piece in different directions from time to time.
Yeah, same. It's different, but I actually quite like the feeling of seeing the One Piece world in a completely different way.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm really hoping we get the fight at all. I'm crossing my fingers that we've mostly gotten clashes and one-hit defeats is because Oda is trying to rush things along because of something super special going on with Chapter 1,000.

In a better world they'd take the opportunity to flesh out some of the fights in the anime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oda wants to get to 1000 by the end of the year and we have exactly 12 Sundays left in 2020. This week was 991, so that's 9 chapters. That gives him one break week a month, and I'm assuming the magazine's gonna be off for Christmas/New Year's for one of those weeks.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
well there's rumors that there's a 2 week break because viz is saying the next chapter comes on the 16th of october now, so i dunno about that anymore

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Yeah the two week break is real, oda coulda snuck it in the last issue without but now it’s early January no matter what

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Spanish Matlock posted:

In a better world they'd take the opportunity to flesh out some of the fights in the anime

did someone say flesh

To be clear, I don't hate this art style. It's not bad. It just makes me uncomfortable at times.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

^^ I love them all

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That Chopper one is amazing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Those are dope oddium. Thanks for sharing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

These are great, happen to know who made them?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think it's the vinutun person from the watermark

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That Zoro one is an absolute masterpiece.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here they are in higher resolution

https://twitter.com/vinutun/status/1296501194773405696?s=20

https://twitter.com/vinutun/status/1298773953385820160?s=20

https://twitter.com/vinutun/status/1301264577510940674?s=20

And a comparison of the real advertisements they're based on

https://twitter.com/vinutun/status/1309631658782490624?s=20

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I hadn’t seen the Chopper one before. That rules.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really like the wording on that one especially, “He’s Past The Point of No Return” is definitely something Oda would be proud of.

bondster
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1311276001478008832?s=21

Assuming this is true (this is the unofficial twitter account) then drat get well Oda :(

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Pray for oda, that his tar lungs find a way to continue working for us

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What's the longest Hiatus One piece has ever had?

It's kind of crazy how manga release schedules work. Seems like it would be much better to have seasons or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thoren posted:

What's the longest Hiatus One piece has ever had?

I think that one month period before the first post-timeskip chapter.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

*whispers* covid??/

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Funky Valentine posted:

I think that one month period before the first post-timeskip chapter.

That was such a long month.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

these are so cool

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lpzie posted:

*whispers* covid??/

Honestly this kind of rumor mongering doesn't really help anybody, nor is it productive. In the end, Oda wasn't feeling well, so he and the staff decided to let him get a couple of weeks rest to get better. Which is fine by me, given that he's slowly killing himself from overworking as a mangaka and could use some downtime here and there.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

also its just insanely far more likely the guy that smokes a ton of cigarettes, the sticks made of cancer and overworks himself ludicrously is just maybe not in the best of health generally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

tbp posted:

also its just insanely far more likely the guy that smokes a ton of cigarettes, the sticks made of cancer and overworks himself ludicrously is just maybe not in the best of health generally
Yeah! I switched to chewing tobacco for Covid.

I don't think I solved the problem quite the way you wanted me to...