Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the "Benedictions Of The Emperor" part of the new Uplifting Primer/Munitorum Manual compilation new content or is it just the blue pages from the back of the Primer?

Because I found my Primer and I'm wondering if I should bother with the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Exchanged Steven Fry's Mythos (it's good but it's "get from the library" good not "burn a credit" good) in favor of Dredge Runners and am EXTREME HYPE FOR MORE CRIME.

:peanut:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can someone recommend me a good Skaven POV novel? Bonus: one with no dwarves, I can't stand the WHFB dwarves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

aphid_licker posted:

Can someone recommend me a good Skaven POV novel? Bonus: one with no dwarves, I can't stand the WHFB dwarves.

I mean that's gonna be difficult because outside of Orcs and other Skaven the Skaven only really fight Dwarfs on a regular basis. There's supposed to be an Age of Sigmar young adult novel that features a Skaven who lives among the surface dwellers but is still a psychotic nutjob.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Don't like dwarfs? Oh. That's goin' in the book.

Some of the best parts in the Gotreks novels is Thanquol scheming and the other skaven that show up.

He has a solo book series but I haven't read them.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've been thinking of doing a sort of joke comic about the Dark Eldar, and I need a national anthem for Commoragh.

My first choice was the Kars 4 Kids jingle, but the tv show The Good Place already used that. Any suggestions?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've been thinking of doing a sort of joke comic about the Dark Eldar, and I need a national anthem for Commoragh.

My first choice was the Kars 4 Kids jingle, but the tv show The Good Place already used that. Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rsEs4HWXeY

:shrug:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Guyver posted:

Don't like dwarfs? Oh. That's goin' in the book.

Some of the best parts in the Gotreks novels is Thanquol scheming and the other skaven that show up.

He has a solo book series but I haven't read them.

Yeah I just found the solo book and I think I'll give it a try.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

nvm, I figured it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ&t=13s

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah I just found the solo book and I think I'll give it a try.

There's dwarfs in the third book, so you should read the first two of the series.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

There's dwarfs in the third book, so you should read the first two of the series.

Tanks <3

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I dipped my toe into the AOS world yesterday by reading the Gates of Azyr novella, and starting the War Storm book. So far it's pretty good! Like, sure, some of it is cheesy, but I was actually impressed with how well written the action in Gates of Azyr was. And even though Vandus and Khul are kind of generic hero and villain right now, I'm intrigued. So far, recommended.

Khul is helped by the fact he is a pretty smart Khorne Lord.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

from Brothers of the Snake, a listing of things space marines don't understand:

- the purpose of soft, cozy beds
- mingling
- how to be good detectives

in short, I love this book and would pay a billion dollars to be able to read more Inquisitor / Space Marine team up stories. or just any story where regular people have to interact with 'em, I love this so much

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Noticed a fun detail while listening to Angel Exterminatus: In his vision of the past, Kroeger kills some random footsoldier named Olivier Persson...heh.
I recall some perpetual in another book saying that Oll was the oldest of the converted perpetuals, but 30 thousand years is quite a helping.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Y'all, this book is even better than the thread said it was. drat.

Brotherhood of the Snake by Dan Abnett.

How often do I get to call a book perfect?

This is a Warhammer 40k novel so excellent that I will be recommending it to people who have no interest in the setting - it stands alone as a chronicle of an order of supernatural warrior-knights who defend their stars fiercely from all kinds of alien threats.

The book is organized into a series of short stories that build up into a novella that caps off an intense finale, full of action and character development and incredible world-building. They enter around Priad, one warrior-knight who goes from a new soldier to a squad leader, and how he handles the threats internal and external - and oh, but the theme of brotherhood is intense here.

This book also highlights one of my favorite things about the setting: despite the high-tech nature of it, with starships and space marines and all that entails, it's very low-tech. Worlds may be connected but isolated. For example, one world when it falls under a threat it doesn't recognize, does something it hasn't done in so long it's become myth: it uses a ritual to summon help, and when the space marines arrive, they barely recognize them as anything but gods.

In another story a squad of space marines is sent to witness a coronation on one planet, and it's thrown into stark relief how alien they are from regular people - the people they're sworn to protect.

Then, ah, the characters! Priad the humble, Petrok the brilliant librarian, and others. The author has a way of making the space marines different without making them flamboyant - they're all cut from the same mold of ultra-violent, ultra-dedicated knights who would die before breaking an oath - but they have their own lives. Not to mention how the space marines' organization itself is fleshed out - they come from a water world that hosts giant sea serpents that they hunt, and that colors their legends and rituals. They bring flasks of salt water everywhere to consecrate the planets they fight on.

All of this works with taut prose that makes the action sing and the character work speak. And it has one of my favorite non-comedic depictions of orks.

If you like military sci-fi, or hell, sci-fi at all, please read this book. You don't need to know anything about 40k to enjoy it and it's just - it's fun, it has pathos, it's satisfying. Highly recommended, and one of the best from the Black Library.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished Fury of Magnus. It was great, much better than Sons of the Selenar. There is a ton of stuff I want to talk about, but I won't because of spoilers. Let's just say:

Magnus did nothing wrong....until he did.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ugh, yet another SM book to add to my list. I just wanna get through Belisarius Cawl, the last Eisenhorn book, and the Ravenor books first!

Has anyone read and _good_ 40k Horror books? I just realized they have their own category on the BL page, but I've never heard any of them recommended.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

During Psychic Awakening they had a decent horror short story on Warhammer community about a squad of guard that find a derelict ship. Flayed Ones murdered everyone.

Can't find it now though.

D-Pad posted:

Magnus did nothing wrong....until he did.
I'm sensing a pattern.

Also guess I need to read Brotherhood of the Snake now.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 29, 2020

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I bought a used copy of Brotherhood of the Snake last year based on the thread OP, and it's been sitting on my shelf. Thanks for giving me a reason to go pull it down and read it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StrixNebulosa posted:

Y'all, this book is even better than the thread said it was. drat.

Brotherhood of the Snake by Dan Abnett.
Funnily enough, Abnett has mentioned not really thinking that he got Space Marines right in that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Funnily enough, Abnett has mentioned not really thinking that he got Space Marines right in that.

Huh. Has any author really gotten them?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It would be cool if they made them weirder but idk how that works when you already have 100 books with them as viewpoint characters where they're just kinda boring, uptight, pouty dudes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Has anyone read and _good_ 40k Horror books? I just realized they have their own category on the BL page, but I've never heard any of them recommended.

I don't know if you mean the category specifically, but Requiem Infernal is a 40k horror book (small "h") and it's pretty drat good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think it was just a comment on how he felt like he had learned to handle them slightly better later on. I think he's probably over-thinking his flaws to be fair, because he is a spectacularly nice guy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I think it was just a comment on how he felt like he had learned to handle them slightly better later on. I think he's probably over-thinking his flaws to be fair, because he is a spectacularly nice guy.

Yeah, that makes sense. To be clear I disagree with Abnett because Brothers of the Snake is amazing, but it's fascinating to see why/how authors critique themselves...and also to know if there are any Abnett-approved space marine takes, so to speak. I remember reading somewhere in this thread that folks think Ian Watson's Space Marine was excellently weird.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Helsreach.

quote:

Take a child, allow it to develop without ever understanding the frailties of human weakness, and force it to grow through the ingesting nothing but the virtues of obedience, loyalty, and combat prowess. Surround it in ceramite. Arm it with fire. Tell it that it answers to no authority beyond its equally powerful, equally unrestrained brothers.

That is a Space Marine. Not a human trained to be a weapon, but a weapon with a human soul."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I gotta get back to reading Helsreach, I don't remember why I stopped.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only real downside to Helsreach is that the Orks don't get much in the way of characterization. They're primarily an obstacle for the Black Templars rather than characters themselves. It works for the narrative but it doesn't do the Orks much justice as a faction.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only real downside to Helsreach is that the Orks don't get much in the way of characterization. They're primarily an obstacle for the Black Templars rather than characters themselves. It works for the narrative but it doesn't do the Orks much justice as a faction.

I mean, the same can be said for Brothers of the Snake. It sure has orks in it, and they're described, but the camera is firmly on the marines.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Make sure you check out the Helsreach the movie series on youtube where Richard Boylan takes clips from the audiobook and gives it very light animation, though he got more detailed by the end. It was good enough that I think he's making real animation for GW now though I've lost track of all that. Back when it was new the latest episodes would get posted throughout the warham threads.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Did I miss it or did he not animate "Engine kill."?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arbite posted:

He missed a bunch of powerful scenes at the tail end of it. I think he was rushing to get through it though tbh I can't blame him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arbite posted:

He did. It's in the final episode.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Demiurge4 posted:

He missed a bunch of powerful scenes at the tail end of it. I think he was rushing to get through it though tbh I can't blame him.

Yeah the one thing I really wish he'd have done was the last conversation between Nero and Grimaldus, where Nero pimp slaps Grimaldus. I thought it was a good echo back to when he got smacked by Helbrecht at the start of the book.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, ADB is the go-to for Chaos Marines, but I think everyone has struggled to reconcile the bombastic Codex versions of Imperial Marines with characterising them. (Especially in 40k - The HH ones have had some good ones, but typically again, usually Traitors)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. To be clear I disagree with Abnett because Brothers of the Snake is amazing, but it's fascinating to see why/how authors critique themselves...and also to know if there are any Abnett-approved space marine takes, so to speak. I remember reading somewhere in this thread that folks think Ian Watson's Space Marine was excellently weird.
IIRC he says that in one of the prefaces to a Sabbat Worlds short story, so check those anthologies out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

wrath of iron by chris wraight and the released 2/3rds of david guymer's iron hands trilogy do a good job of adding a lot of interesting character to a chapter that is usually just grim and dark and cyborgs

aphid_licker posted:

It would be cool if they made them weirder but idk how that works when you already have 100 books with them as viewpoint characters where they're just kinda boring, uptight, pouty dudes

this is why i really like kardan stronos, especially in the voice of mars, he's loving weird

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 30, 2020

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The primary antagonist in Helsreach is Imposter Syndrome, which is why it's one of my favourites. And They Shall Know No Fear - nobody ever said They Shall Know No Self Doubt.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Helsreach is good and has one of my all time favorite passages where he just talks about all the poo poo he personally reviews for the upcoming defense.

Throne, what numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Telsa Cola posted:

Helsreach is good and has one of my all time favorite passages where he just talks about all the poo poo he personally reviews for the upcoming defense.

Throne, what numbers.

And I endure this for nine days.

NINE.

DAYS.