Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
In no particular order

- Nami asking the crew for help in Arlong Park
- I wanna live
- entering the new world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

All the ones mentioned so far are great but 3 lines I haven't seen mentioned and I really like:

1. "Even if there's smoke billowing, we can still see the sky, we can still see the ocean, IT AIN'T LIKE IT'S HELL HERE!"
2. "Why does it always have to be you saving me?" (Luffy to Bon Clay)
3. "I couldn't save a single bro!"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
1.) Bon Clay's goodbye
Best ending to best arc. Incredibly affecting and earned.

2.) Zoro v Kaku
The best and funniest fight scene in a series full of them. It's just so good.

3.) Nothing at all
The chapter leading up to this with Kuma is so good. It's magical and scary and comes out of nowhere.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i love seeing all of your takes, and i love the diversity between the three, along with seeing the major ones we all seem to share to some extent

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hmm, that's a tough one. There are so many good moments.

1. "When does a man truly die?"
2. The death of Merry Go
3. Brook smashing the portrait of Mother Carmel

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
1. "Help me! Sogeking!" vs Perona
This is frequently overlooked but it's the payoff to Usopp's entire character arc up to that point and it owns unbelievably. Usopp is so cool.

2. Luffy meets Blackbeard for the first time
This scene is incredible as a character introduction for a villain, maybe one of the best ever. On the first read through, it's framed as an interaction with a random drunk moron at first - it's only towards the end of the scene that the vibe gets dark. Blackbeard begins talking about "the road to the top" to Luffy directly in a very knowing sense, stares Luffy down, rants at him - and Luffy does not say a single word. He listens to Blackbeard and then he spins on his heel and walks away. Zoro obviously senses exactly what Luffy is sensing, and both of them refuse to elaborate to Nami about what just happened.

Luffy and Zoro totally just realized that they would one day have to outright kill this guy. No more to be said to him. They're pirates. This scene establishes an incredible amount about both Blackbeard and Luffy using a relatively tiny amount of language. It's sublime.

3. Nami asks Luffy for help vs Arlong
Doesn't need explanation

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tolth posted:

This scene is incredible as a character introduction for a villain, maybe one of the best ever. On the first read through, it's framed as an interaction with a random drunk moron at first - it's only towards the end of the scene that the vibe gets dark. Blackbeard begins talking about "the road to the top" to Luffy directly in a very knowing sense, stares Luffy down, rants at him - and Luffy does not say a single word. He listens to Blackbeard and then he spins on his heel and walks away. Zoro obviously senses exactly what Luffy is sensing, and both of them refuse to elaborate to Nami about what just happened.

Luffy and Zoro totally just realized that they would one day have to outright kill this guy. No more to be said to him. They're pirates. This scene establishes an incredible amount about both Blackbeard and Luffy using a relatively tiny amount of language. It's sublime.

yeah it wasn't one of my three but there's no denying that this is one of the GOAT panels

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
If I had to narrow it down to three

1. Enel-face
It can't get any better than the original, though there have been many good ones since!

2. Nothing at all
You all know the story

3. Raizo is safe!
This one legitimately floored me when I read it and I'm sure I was making a face similar to many of the Strawhats as they learned the truth.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

- Bon Clay's goodbye poem
- Fisher Tiger refusing human blood
- The end of Big Mom's flashback, wondering where Mother went and why everyone keeps leaving her after eating an orphanage, zooming in on her huge mouth

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

In the interests of keeping things fresh, I'll choose three that haven't been mentioned yet:

1) Luffy punches the celestial dragon
Sabaody up to this point did a really good job of introducing the concept of the celestials and explaining what they mean for the world of One Piece. I remember finding the slave auction all kinds of hosed up on my first read-through of the manga - I couldn't believe Oda was willing to go that far in a Shonen Jump series. Having already shown a buster call and an admiral's power in prior arcs, dangling the threat of both at the same time made the question "will Luffy actually hit this guy?!" very real. But then, of course, our boy just goes ahead and does it in the most impactful way imaginable and it felt GOOD. Plus the anime's interpretation makes it even better somehow!!! Every time I turn on the news at the moment that scene is running through my head.

2) Jimbei returns the ceremonial cup
I think this is my favourite moment of recent years and in a weird way I think it legitimised and "explained" haki in a way the series hadn't managed yet - without even showing any black limbs or power waves or anything like that. Sheer strength of will and belief overcoming an embodiment of life/death itself. The best crew-joining moment any Strawhat has had.

3) "He laughed."
I mean, come on. We waited over 20 years for this moment and Oda hit it clean out of the park. It's perfect. I think about it all the time and it just builds even more hype for the moment we've all been waiting for since Luffy got onto that lovely little wooden boat in Chapter 1.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
1) I want to live
2) Nami asking for help at Arlong Park
3)Nothing happened

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bon chan's death
zoro tells luffy usopp can't come back
kin'emon cuts kaido's attack in half

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Luffy punching the celestial dragon less for the emotional weight of what we knew he was doing and more for kidd and law wondering what insane poo poo this insane captain was going to do. like its normalised for the reader and that reminds you that actually they do a lot of insane poo poo
usopp declaring war on the world government/i wanna live
luffy pushing the zombie in the ground

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Luffy vs Usopp
Kakakuri being exposed eating donuts in his tiny house
Luffy no-selling the Love-Love Beam

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Jose posted:

Luffy punching the celestial dragon less for the emotional weight of what we knew he was doing and more for kidd and law wondering what insane poo poo this insane captain was going to do. like its normalised for the reader and that reminds you that actually they do a lot of insane poo poo
usopp declaring war on the world government/i wanna live
luffy pushing the zombie in the ground

The anime did that moment so well. It's a shame the nonsense it became not long after that.

Thriller Bark is my #1 favorite arc so no surprise all my favorite moments are from there, in no particular order:

Luffy pushing the zombie back in.

Nothing happened.

Its embarassing as a human being.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wanna live and Usopp screaming I'm sorry are two of my favourites. Third choice could be any number of things tbh, but I'll go with Luffy punching the celestial dragon.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1311954075362250757

oda's healthy thank god, and its only a two week break

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I want to live.
Brook vs. Big Mom, specifically "young lady"
Luffy punching the celestial dragon

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

1. Riding the Knock Up Stream. Nothing else in the story has really given me that same feeling of grand adventure and it's a bit of a shame. The closest thing I can think of is the journey to Fishman Island.
2. Blackbeard's speech at Jaya
3. The whole scene with Fisher Tiger and Koala
4. God Ussop

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 2, 2020

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You criminal

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Cheating a little to list moments that I like and also haven't been mentioned. No particular order:

-Cricket and co. seeing Luffy's shadow in the clouds
-Merry sailing to the Enies Lobby on their own to save the crew and and go on more adventures
-Brooke breaking the picture frame

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man it's hard to just do three.

1: "Raizo is safe." Just phenomenal, what absolute lads the minks are.

2: "OF COURSE I WILL!!!" This is usually the first moment when you realise One Piece ain't loving around.

3: "A girl named Russian" A short and sweet flashback that shows what a fantastic writer Oda is to make us care about a weird underling in like two chapters.

After this is probably Robin's stuff, as well as the madman Brooke is in Whole Cake, no wonder he's my favourite character.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Fisher and Koala
Ring the golden bell - despite your feelings of Skypeia, Luffy making that bell ring and fulfilling Kalgara’s promise to Norland centuries later is just drat perfect
“Umi e!” From Ussop hearing Merry to the funeral, breaks my heart
More impactful moments have been mentioned by others, but I want to give a runner’s up to Luffy intercepting Doffy from stomping Law - the shot of the small Luffy standing against the giant to protect the defenseless is pure distilled One Piece

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
1. "A man's dream.. will never die!!" is maybe my favorite manga panel, let alone where it sits in one piece

2. Luffy ringing the golden bell.. everything in this arc makes me emotional, it's all so heartbreaking. and he finally does it :cry:

3. Luffy painting a Jolly Roger on Laboon so he stops ramming reverse mountain. Binks Sake of course comes immediately after bc of how hard this one had already hit me. I love the whale with my life

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
3: Three way tie between Robin refusing to do the Pirate Voltron, Luffy not remembering the Buggy Ball, and Luffy's "Gum Gum Human Shield". The humor in this series has always gotten me, especially with Buggy and Robin.

2: GOD USOPP!

1: Dadan staying behind with Ace to fight against Bluejam. While I'm curious to find out about who Luffy's bio-mom is, his mother will always be Dadan to me!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I liked vivi's farewell because it meant vivi was gone

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I liked vivi's farewell because it meant vivi was gone

:chloe:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Bleck posted:

yeah it wasn't one of my three but there's no denying that this is one of the GOAT panels

this is my computer background lol

thank you for all the posts guys, i genuinely enjoy reading them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
drat how could i forget luffy giving foxy a new flag

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

thank you for all the posts guys, i genuinely enjoy reading them
Thanks for the idea! The past few days have been rough for One Piece fans I think, this thread has been a nice feel-good ray of light today. :)

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
*on YouTube tearing up to all these scenes everyone is bringing up* shoulda been a top 5, or at least a top 3 in romance dawn/ top 3 new world moments

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I wanted to post relatively serious moments, but Buggy's face after Luffy says "no" is my favourite gag, top tier stuff.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
"Young lady, what kind of fool plans to die?" is pretty up there for me.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

answer?: he liked bird cage lol...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Shadowlyger posted:

"Young lady, what kind of fool plans to die?" is pretty up there for me.
I love the moments were Brook dunks on Big Mom by saying casual or goofy things to her face. Calling her young lady, asking to see her panties, and after Franky ran over her face, he doffed his hat at her and gave almost a cheerful greeting.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tolth posted:

1. "Help me! Sogeking!" vs Perona
This is frequently overlooked but it's the payoff to Usopp's entire character arc up to that point and it owns unbelievably. Usopp is so cool.

I watch this at the gym sometimes and it really hypes me up

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

How many times has Usopp defeated an enemy that nobody else could handle because of their devil fruit? What a hero.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my three best scenes are drawn from a list of like 100 and it's the last 3 i've thought about.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

How many times has Usopp defeated an enemy that nobody else could handle because of their devil fruit? What a hero.
Usopp has the same mental superpowers as Reigen from Mob Psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Worst part of this "name your top3" is I keep wanting to change my answers as I read others' posts.

Green Intern posted:

Luffy+Usopp Vs Mr3+MsGoldenweek is great. I hope Luffy gets more tag-team battles. Like Luffy+Nami Vs Cracker.