Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Elfgames posted:

fake edit: nobody voted for the digimon that's an entire galaxy?

Grace Novamon is number 9 on the list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Frankly I’m disappointed that people didn’t vote for Shakamon, the Buddha Digimon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He'd yell at Omegamon and blast him over the horizon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pretty much every Digimon is the strongest Digimon if you go by their profiles

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I guess the logic is that you can always trust regular Omnimon to pull a brand new form out of its rear end whenever the situation requires it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Pretty much every Digimon is the strongest Digimon if you go by their profiles

Those profiles are about as reliable as Pokedex entries. If anything, they're even less accurate since the power of a Digimon wildly varies between series.

Still, this poll is ridiculously biased towards popularity when ZeedMilleniummon doesn't even make the top five when Omegamon does twice (three times if you include Paladin Mode).

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 1, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm surprised Susanoomon beat out Dukemon, but I guess in a way he's Frontier Omegamon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

I feel like Millenniumon's forms get a bit overinflated by the fandom.

Maybe for base Millenniumon, but ZeedMillenniumon I'd say definitely lives up to the hype

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://digimon.net/reference/index.php?tab=levelTab&level=9

The thing is done

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not super familiar with Xros Wars, but most of the Death Generals being Perfect kind of threw me for a loop.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 2, 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah that was always weird to me. I guess it doesn’t matter in Xros where evolution doesn’t necessarily mean growing in power, but at that point why not just introduce them as ultimates? Apollomon already was anyway.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I'm not super familiar with Xros Wars, but most of the Death Generals being Perfect kind of threw me for a loop.

Yeah that was always weird to me. I guess it doesn’t matter in Xros where evolution doesn’t necessarily mean growing in power, but at that point why not just introduce them as ultimates? Apollomon already was anyway.

Olegmon and Dorbick are Ultimates as well, which is a random collection of Death Generals to be at that level. Besides that Sparrowmon being a Child Digimon also stood out as a little weird to me, and that Damemon and Tuwarmon are both Adults feels wrong as well since I'd have pitched Tuwarmon as a Perfect but whatever.

Honestly, though, the majority of them more or less line up how you'd assume they would or remain in line with how they'd already be delineated or are accorded by some acceptable semblance of logic. Tactimon is an Ultimate since the XW manga said he, Lilithmon, and Blastmon were Ultimates. Beelzebumon is an Ultimate, so Baalmon can reasonably be called a Perfect. Mervamon is a more mature form of an existing Ultimate so she's also an Ultimate (I still REALLY hate her design though). Metal Greymon is a perfect in general so XW Metal Greymon is also a perfect and since he evolved to Z-Greymon that makes him an Ultimate I guess.

These lines of reasoning make sense, but only hold assuming you overlook that retrofitting levels doesn't really work with Xros Wars because firstly XW paid no attention to them in its run time and in how it framed its fights so doing a retrofit like that is going to be a little bit wonky, and related to that secondly XW was kind of miserable at actually building and framing fights in general or making the protagonists look consistently strong.

Still, if a couple of the better designs show up in the next Digimon Story game I won't mind at all.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 2, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Yeah that definitely doesn't feel right, same with Sparrowmon as a Child stage

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah looking through now some of the death generals are ultimate, including NeoVandemon. One weird thing is that Ballistamon is adult and his evolution is perfect, but Sparrowmon is child level and RaptorSparrowmon is ultimate.
Also Arresterdramon Superior Mode being a perfect is lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I would not be surprised at all if there ended up being errors with some of these

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's kind of important to remember that none of these matter for Xros Wars itself, where levels didn't exist, and that forcing levels onto those Digimon was always going to cause internal errors.

That said Shoutmon X4B being a Perfect and therefore weaker than one of its materials is hilarious, and I definitely disagree with some of these, like Starmon for some reason being Child when the rest of the Digimon that got XW redesigns keep their original levels.

Also here's a full table in English, courtesy of Wikimon. Note that it has one error: it says Damemon is a Child, Damemon is actually an Adult.

Also some of the attributes make no sense to me. Dorulumon should be Data, Virus is weirdly aggresive for a Garurumon and a good guy at that. Shoutmon being Data is another weird one, he's definitely a Vaccine in every way. But also this hasn't mattered in ages, whatever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's kind of important to remember that none of these matter for Xros Wars itself, where levels didn't exist, and that forcing levels onto those Digimon was always going to cause internal errors.

That said Shoutmon X4B being a Perfect and therefore weaker than one of its materials is hilarious, and I definitely disagree with some of these, like Starmon for some reason being Child when the rest of the Digimon that got XW redesigns keep their original levels.

Also here's a full table in English, courtesy of Wikimon. Note that it has one error: it says Damemon is a Child, Damemon is actually an Adult.

Also some of the attributes make no sense to me. Dorulumon should be Data, Virus is weirdly aggresive for a Garurumon and a good guy at that. Shoutmon being Data is another weird one, he's definitely a Vaccine in every way. But also this hasn't mattered in ages, whatever.

It kinda makes sense. Dorulumon was originally a member of the Bagramon Army and all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Also Arresterdramon Superior Mode being a perfect is lol

Funny thing is that's one of the ones with precedent. He was a perfect-class on the card they released as a promo for the old card game. Of course Z-Greymon was also a perfect in the card game so they can't even keep their inconsistent consistencies consistent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway I imagine they wanted the core components of Shoutmon X3 to be Vaccine-Data-Virus.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway I imagine they wanted the core components of Shoutmon X3 to be Vaccine-Data-Virus.

I guess, but the price to pay is that two out of three feel entirely meaningless (Ballistamon as Vaccine is fine).

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I would have assumed Shoutmon was Vaccine because he's a lead Digimon, but if they didn't want it to be Free attribute, there's logic in the Digimon whose defining feature is combining with a wide variety of other Digimon being the more neutral Data attribute rather than Vaccine or Virus.

Similarly, there's a lot of Digimon I would have assumed would be Ultimate that are Perfect, but this does work out for future use of Xros Wars Digimon because it's not a situation where all the noteworthy Digimon are Ultimates and can't be used in video games until the end.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Hey you know Troopmon? The evil looking monsters with faces made of gas masks?

No they aren't Virus type, why do you ask?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Type has always been a little fucky. Don't forget that MetalGreymon was originally a Virus before he got promoted to protagonist.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PMush Perfect posted:

Type has always been a little fucky. Don't forget that MetalGreymon was originally a Virus before he got promoted to protagonist.

To be fair, MetalGreymon's original lore was virus as all hell. He was a Greymon who, unable to evolve properly, instead modified itself with illicit cybernetics until its body couldn't take the strain and putrefied. That's almost more body horror than SkullGreymon.

Then he was promoted to protagonist and they explained it by saying that MetalGreymon from the Folder Continent were stronger than those from File Island and could handle it, keeping their orange hue and stripes in the process.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So there's Digimon lore that predates Digimon Adventure? I know the handheld pets were a bit earlier, but I didn't think it was that long.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Some Numbers posted:

So there's Digimon lore that predates Digimon Adventure? I know the handheld pets were a bit earlier, but I didn't think it was that long.

The v-pets, the manga V-Tamer, the card game, and the first Digimon World game all predate the anime

Edit: oh, the short film at the beginning of the movie where Greymon fights Parrotmon predates the show too, I think

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 3, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

thetoughestbean posted:

The v-pets, the manga V-Tamer, the card game, and the first Digimon World game all predate the anime

Edit: oh, the short film at the beginning of the movie where Greymon fights Parrotmon predates the show too, I think

yeah that was the pilot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

The first virtual pet arrived as early as 1997.

and the "short film" before the movie was originally a wholly separate movie before the dub forced them to be arc welded together.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Barely. Its first showing was the day before the first episode of Adventure aired.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IIRC It was made much earlier though, so you can see the difference in tone between the two.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fangz posted:

IIRC It was made much earlier though, so you can see the difference in tone between the two.

That's plausible, but the really early history of Digimon is, to my knowledge still not fully clear. I'd love to see a source to the contrary, but as of yet I haven't seen any hard evidence or interviews on the original plans for Digimon. You can tell well enough that SOMETHING changed in some way and somehow at some point just from what they put on screen, but I'm leery of saying anything definitive.

And if you've only ever seen the Americanized movie know that originally it was three separate movies that they Robotech'd together to get the feature-length. Of special note is that the editing they did on the third section more or less excised the original plot focus of that film. Still didn't actually make it any worse.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There were some interviews during the last big anniversary (I think?) with people who were involved in the creation of the early parts of the franchise on the WiZ, Bansai, and Toei sides, I think. I can’t recall where to find them though.

There was some stuff about the creation of Taichi and Digimon Adventure in an interview with the V-Tamer artist (who also designed Tai). Apparently the anime, the movie, and V-Tamer were all planned at the same time and Taichi was made to be the main character for all of them. The movie obviously ended up being a prequel to the anime, but it wasn’t made by the main adventure staff so it was basically it’s own thing from the production side of things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

That's plausible, but the really early history of Digimon is, to my knowledge still not fully clear. I'd love to see a source to the contrary, but as of yet I haven't seen any hard evidence or interviews on the original plans for Digimon. You can tell well enough that SOMETHING changed in some way and somehow at some point just from what they put on screen, but I'm leery of saying anything definitive.

And if you've only ever seen the Americanized movie know that originally it was three separate movies that they Robotech'd together to get the feature-length. Of special note is that the editing they did on the third section more or less excised the original plot focus of that film. Still didn't actually make it any worse.

Part of me still wants to learn film editing so I can make an alternate version of the American movie that chops out Movie 3 and replaces it with the dubbed version of Movie 4

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Part of me still wants to learn film editing so I can make an alternate version of the American movie that chops out Movie 3 and replaces it with the dubbed version of Movie 4

I’d watch it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m playing Cyber Sleuth on hard mode and I can’t believe it took be so long to realize how busted Jesmon can be. It has a move that makes it immune to damage until its next turn and counter any attack with a basic attack. This is in a game where bosses can get six moves for every one you get so you can just sit back and let that counter damage build up. Jesmon basically solo’d Great Challenge 7

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I would rather just have all the movies unedited, i dont see anything redeemable about combining 3 movies together into a rushed impossible to undersrand mess

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I’d watch it

It would make a lot more sense that's for sure

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

I would rather just have all the movies unedited, i dont see anything redeemable about combining 3 movies together into a rushed impossible to undersrand mess

It would be better that way, but in many respects this is basically a thought experiment about how they should have handled it back then

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m playing Cyber Sleuth on hard mode and I can’t believe it took be so long to realize how busted Jesmon can be. It has a move that makes it immune to damage until its next turn and counter any attack with a basic attack. This is in a game where bosses can get six moves for every one you get so you can just sit back and let that counter damage build up. Jesmon basically solo’d Great Challenge 7

Sounds like Digimon World 3 all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

It would be better that way, but in many respects this is basically a thought experiment about how they should have handled it back then

Not to exonerate Saban but maybe Toei just had thier balls on that one?