Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Neodoomium posted:

She still has a plate in her jaw, which is why she started training specifically for bodybuilding competitions.

Make her impervious to jawbreakers then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neodoomium posted:

She still has a plate in her jaw, which is why she started training specifically for bodybuilding competitions.

I don't follow the correlation?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
In real life that makes you more vulnerable to injury so I assume she’s sticking to non-contact sports

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

King Bahamut posted:

In real life that makes you more vulnerable to injury so I assume she’s sticking to non-contact sports

Oh, I understood it as she's still wrestling, perhaps just part-time, but now also bodybuilding.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is there still a Fight Island casual chat thread?

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is there still a Fight Island casual chat thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907107

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Thanks!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what about Fight Island ranked chat

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

what about Fight Island ranked chat

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942315

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lol.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Does the young boy / dojo system in Japan have its roots in the sumo schools?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Nystral posted:

Does the young boy / dojo system in Japan have its roots in the sumo schools?
Yup, 100%.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Did anything remotely interesting happen at the Rebellion/Insurrexion UK PPVs of the early 2000s? They were basically just locally-broadcast house shows, right?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Answers Me posted:

Did anything remotely interesting happen at the Rebellion/Insurrexion UK PPVs of the early 2000s? They were basically just locally-broadcast house shows, right?

Only "interesting" thing i remember from any of these shows was the top rope breaking during a taker/hhh match.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Answers Me posted:

I feel like the most you got was maybe a European Title change if you were lucky, usually involving Bulldog or Regal. Otherwise, yeah, it was just the exact same you would see at a house show: same matches, same spots, same heel promos about rain and fish and chips... Maybe on occasion you'd have Vince come out and remark that the next PM will be "OF PAKISTANI EXTRACTION!!!" or something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I do remember a UK show from maybe 1998 where Jacqueline was being held up on someone's shoulders and someone else ripped her shirt off, leaving her topless and unable to get down for a stupidly long time. It's been decades since I've seen it.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I do remember a UK show from maybe 1998 where Jacqueline was being held up on someone's shoulders and someone else ripped her shirt off, leaving her topless and unable to get down for a stupidly long time. It's been decades since I've seen it.

Oh yeah this happened and i was watching that show with my parents in the room because of course this poo poo happens when people who don't like wrestling are in the room.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Haha, yeah, that would be Capital Carnage I think? Also the show with Vince's PAKISTANI EXTRACTION comment. Awful show, and from what I've heard practically spot-for-spot what was on all the house shows at the time, just with an added Corporation promo and a special guest appearance from Vinnie Jones. It says a lot when the highlight is Gerry Brisco (the guest referee for the main event) sending Jones to the back with a red card.

I wonder how all the parents felt about the nudity, since despite the horrendous subject matter the Attitude Era was probably still most popular with kids over here. If there was any guff over it, they sure didn't learn their lesson just over a year later when they pissed off Channel 4/pre-Ofcom with Miss Kitty and Mae Young getting their breasts out.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 2, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Haha, yeah, that would be Capital Carnage I think? Also the show with Vince's PAKISTANI EXTRACTION comment. Awful show, and from what I've heard practically spot-for-spot what was on all the house shows at the time, just with an added Corporation promo and a special guest appearance from Vinnie Jones. It says a lot when the highlight is Gerry Brisco (the guest referee for the main event) sending Jones to the back with a red card.

I wonder how all the parents felt about the nudity, since despite the horrendous subject matter the Attitude Era was probably still most popular with kids over here. If there was any guff over it, they sure didn't learn their lesson just over a year later when they pissed off Channel 4/pre-Ofcom with Miss Kitty and Mae Young getting their breasts out.

RAW used to be on delay here in Canuckistan because some kids at a Winnipeg got caught doing the crotch chop and the Outrage Brigade lost their poo poo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has a wrestling team ever put up their ability to team together in a match? I've always thought that'd be a great way to get a small taste of a Career vs. Title kind of match or break up a team you want to push as singles without having someone turn on the other.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MJeff posted:

Has a wrestling team ever put up their ability to team together in a match? I've always thought that'd be a great way to get a small taste of a Career vs. Title kind of match or break up a team you want to push as singles without having someone turn on the other.

WWE just did it in a match between the Iiconics and Riott Squad. The Iiconics lost so had to break up.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

Dragon Gate is made up of a bunch of factions and they’ll do big matches where the losing faction must break up. It’s a great stip, it always adds a ton of drama.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Big Bidness posted:

Dragon Gate is made up of a bunch of factions and they’ll do big matches where the losing faction must break up. It’s a great stip, it always adds a ton of drama.

I heard DG also does "you must join this faction if you lose" stips, that's pretty cool and creative too.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MJeff posted:

I heard DG also does "you must join this faction if you lose" stips, that's pretty cool and creative too.

I imagine it would be marginally better than when Cena was forced to join the Nexus

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I believe that is how xXx disbanded in TNA.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They broke up Team Canada the same way as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MJeff posted:

And that kids is how the nWo B-team was formed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also why John Cena is a punk for not... not just putting on the loving shirt, John.... :argh:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

Stardom did Tokyo Cyber Squad vs. Oedo Tai in a losing team must disband yesterday. They still had someone turn on tye other

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MJeff posted:

Pretty sure this is how they ended the Booker T/Goldust tag team.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Recently I noticed when discussing poorly received storylines (usually WWE ones) that posters will post "heat" as if it was an elongated yell, like so (just an example, lots of posts like this)

Dango Bango posted:

Counterpoint: HEEEEAAAAT
I know what the concept of heat is in wrestling, obviously. But is this specific (implied) intonation a reference to a specific person's pronunciation, or a shoot interview or something? I feel like too many people do this for it to be a coincidence.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It's playing off the exaggerated way Bryan Alvarez says it on his shows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was the original rant that kicked it off I think, it's a free show from Observer/F4W:

https://media001.f4wonline.com/free/062817wol.mp3

Heat discussion starts at 12:30, he starts ranting about 16 minutes, gets really into it starting from about 18:30.

After this he just started saying,"HEAAAAT!" as shorthand. Also, 3 years ago and it's already weird hearing people talk about a time when Enzo and Cass was a popular team.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

This was the original rant that kicked it off I think, it's a free show from Observer/F4W:

https://media001.f4wonline.com/free/062817wol.mp3

Heat discussion starts at 12:30, he starts ranting about 16 minutes, gets really into it starting from about 18:30.

After this he just started saying,"HEAAAAT!" as shorthand. Also, 3 years ago and it's already weird hearing people talk about a time when Enzo and Cass was a popular team.

And surprise pre-AEW Britt Baker appearance!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I made a joke in a different thread that how has me curious

How often has WWE used a Wrestlemania match as the inexplicable middle of a feud instead of the start or end?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler FEUD had the middle match at Wrestlemania and waited until the next PPV to have JR come back and Lawler win.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Triple H and Batista had their first match at Wrestlemania and then two more at following PPVs.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Tato posted:

The Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler FEUD had the middle match at Wrestlemania and waited until the next PPV to have JR come back and Lawler win.

I remember reading that because this was around the time where bookies started offering wrestling matches as "novelty bets", they used this opportunity to give Cole the surprise win so everyone backstage could make out with the profits. The booking of the match just beggared belief, it should've been an open and shut feel-good comedy match but they just swerved everyone for no reason.

Another reason I've seen floated out there is that the feud was actually doing good ratings and they wanted to prolong the feud based on that. Anyone got the scoops?

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had maybe done something with the anonymous GM storyline, but in the end it was just a classic example of WWE just booking pointless poo poo on the fly.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Neodoomium posted:

How often has WWE used a Wrestlemania match as the inexplicable middle of a feud instead of the start or end?

This year Edge/Orton: Royal Rumble/Raw stuff, then WM, then the greatest wrestling match of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Neodoomium posted:

Just from the first twenty years of stuff...

- WM3: Hogan vs. Andre led to a break, but the feud picked back up months later to set up Andre's title win and the WM4 tournament.

- WM4: The finals of the tournament set up Summerslam's main event of Hogan/Savage vs. Andre/Dibiase.

- WM5: Hogan vs. Savage continued thanks to the Zeus thing and didn't truly conclude until No Holds Barred: The Movie, the Match.

- WM7: British Bulldog vs. Warlord happened in some form in all 5 PPVs in 1991.

- WM7: Virgil vs. Dibiase ended with a countout so they could have Virgil win the Million Dollar Belt at Summerslam and Dibiase could win it back a few months after.

- WM7: Even though Hogan beat Slaughter for the belt, they filmed a post-show angle where Hogan returned to his dressing room to be greeted by a fireball to the face. The feud ended at Summerslam.

- WM8: Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair kept going on until Survivor Series.

- WM9: Undertaker finally got a real win over Giant Gonzalez at Summerslam.

- WM10: The whole thing was about building on the Bret vs. Owen feud, which went on until... man, I don't even remember.

- WM11: Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy was more about Undertaker feuding with the Corporation. That came to an end when he defeated Kama at Summerslam.

- WM13: Hart vs. Austin continued up until Owen accidentally injured Austin at Summerslam.

- WM13: Even though Ahmed Johnson and LOD beat the Nation of Domination, Ahmed simply could not get away from that feud until his self-injuring behavior drove him into obscurity.

- WM14: Undertaker vs. Kane. I mean, come on.

- WM16: Triple H became the first heel to win the main event of WM, meaning that Rock wouldn't get his top face coronation win until the next PPV.

- WM17: I'll be charitable and call Austin/Rock the "beginning" of the actual feud, but Vince vs. Shane was what WWF vs. WCW was partially framed as.

- WM18: Triple H vs. Jericho continued on into a Hell in a Cell match.

- WM19: Hogan vs. Vince kept going and going in the form of the Mr. America angle.

- WM19: Michael vs. Jericho's post-match had Jericho kick Michaels in the balls and the two kept feuding.

- WM20: Rock 'n' Sock vs. Evolution was just a high-profile bullet point in the Foley/Orton feud.

- WM20: Benoit continued to have matches against Triple H. Even when he dropped the belt to Orton, it was still about Triple H.