Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I blame poor presentation in the anime for that. The official art for Nidhoggmon looks great.

You’re right. It does look much better in that art.

Speaking of Nidhoggmon, it’s been revealed as one of the hidden mons on the nature spirit evo chart. If all the hidden ones end up being new that’d be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

You’re right. It does look much better in that art.

Speaking of Nidhoggmon, it’s been revealed as one of the hidden mons on the nature spirit evo chart. If all the hidden ones end up being new that’d be rad.

No way. There's two left and one's after the full Gaomon line so it's definitely MirageGaogamon Burst Mode. Wind Guardians has a similar thing with two Super Ultimate Digimon where one's blatantly Ravemon Burst Mode since it comes after the full Falcomon line.

The other hidden Super Ultimate in both may be something new though, hard to say.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s really weird that Parasaurmon is Virus.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

No way. There's two left and one's after the full Gaomon line so it's definitely MirageGaogamon Burst Mode. Wind Guardians has a similar thing with two Super Ultimate Digimon where one's blatantly Ravemon Burst Mode since it comes after the full Falcomon line.

The other hidden Super Ultimate in both may be something new though, hard to say.

That’s fair. I forgot most of the other hidden ones were super ultimate. There is one other hidden mega after Kimeramon in nightmare soldiers though. Millenniumon maybe?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

It’s really weird that Parasaurmon is Virus.

Not much more than Airdramon being Vaccine. I like it when they break conventional aesthetics for the types. Like Gallant/Dukemon staying pure Virus.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 6, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Folder Continent Reports are back with Wind Guardians. As usual, more in the replies.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1313491718633914372

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What does vaccine/data/virus mean in universe? I know it was a mechanic in the card game but I don’t think any of the shows mentioned it (as a kid I watched 1, 2, Tamers, and some of Frontier).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

wuggles posted:

What does vaccine/data/virus mean in universe? I know it was a mechanic in the card game but I don’t think any of the shows mentioned it (as a kid I watched 1, 2, Tamers, and some of Frontier).
Gryffindor/Ravenclaw/Slytherin :j:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

wuggles posted:

Vaccine: programs that protect the peace in the Digital World and destroy Viruses.
Data: neutral programs that don't affect the Digital World either way
Virus: programs that endanger the Digital World

It hardly matters in most cases. Adventure and Tamers do point them out though, in Adventure with SkullGreymon being a Virus (though Gennai points out that that in itself is not evil, rather what was wrong was how the evolution happened) and in Tamers with Takato specifically wanting Guilmon to be a Virus, and then Jenrya pointing out that Megidramon is a logical end-point for Guilmon as a Virus.

Ultimately it's a weird thing that stuck from the early days when it was genuinely really important for the lore (earlier DRB profiles show this, and V-Tamer puts a heavy emphasis on how Virus Digimon are evil by nature while the rest are good instead) and it mostly exists now for type advantages in some games like Cyber Sleuth.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Which I'm glad for because nuts to alignment and birth being tied together.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

...and then Jenrya pointing out that Megidramon is a logical end-point for Guilmon as a Virus.

And not even that really, in context he was surprised and dismayed by Megidramon. It was more "I knew that Guilmon was a virus, but I didn't expect him to become something like that…"

At this point attribute is mostly vestigial. If it shows up as something relevant these days it is mostly in the games like Cyber Sleuth. Digimon still get attributes because Digimon have attributes, but it doesn't really mean much of anything. Heck, many digimon have appeared with multiple different attributes depending on media. There was even one game (D-project? I think?) where every usable digimon came in all three attributes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Generally they still follow the general themes that Vaccines are heroic, Data are more sedate, and Viruses are at least vicious and aggressive in some way. Which is why Parasaurmon being Virus is unusual.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Bee posted:

Tbf it does make a bit more sense for computer programs to be unable to change how they act. I am glad theyve toned down the importance of it

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Generally they still follow the general themes that Vaccines are heroic, Data are more sedate, and Viruses are at least vicious and aggressive in some way. Which is why Parasaurmon being Virus is unusual.

There’s always been exceptions like that. Shakomon, Koemon, Betamon, most of the virus type armors, etc. But I do get what you mean. It might be because the line uses poison, or because it culminates in Entmon who is... yeah.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

There’s always been exceptions like that. Shakomon, Koemon, Betamon, most of the virus type armors, etc. But I do get what you mean. It might be because the line uses poison, or because it culminates in Entmon who is... yeah.

You say that, but Entmon is a Perfect, same as Tropiamon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Omnicrom posted:

Which is a shame, we have way too few Plant Ultimates that aren't either sexy ladies or also puppet/machine Digimon, like the only ones are Algomon Ultimate, XuanWumon, El Doradimon, and Bacchusmon

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Omnicrom posted:

Oh, I didn’t notice. Well then, who knows.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The Bee posted:

:actually: It doesn't work like that, does it? Baby digimon are free type and usually every one of them has evolution options for every alignment.

Although I get you really meant "alignment and species".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I watched that Last Evolution movie. Not bad! There is a meta-inconsistency between the role of the movie as a nostalgia property and the theme of the movie and it's view of nostalgia. But it's the same problem that movies like Toy Story 3 has, where you need to give up your childhood, but wait, please don't, we have merch to sell!

I liked the cameos from the 02 cast. I didn't like Sora being sidelined, even if she did get a short film explaining why she's not a bigger part of this movie. Nothing is less exciting that seeing somebody stand in a dark room and say a few lines but otherwise have no bearing on the plot.

I also felt they could have been a bit more creative with the imagery in the dark void segments. Digimon and weird void places have a history, from the 01 and 02 finales, but this was not one of the more interesting weird voids.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/habumon/status/1314256591017787392?s=21

Survive still exists, maybe

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Translation of the above:
https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1314268993600073728

It's not dead, at least.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
You think it may have anything to do with the fact that, since it's releasing after this August, it has to be compatible with the PS5's boost mode? It never seemed like it was too technically impressive, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem.

Looking forward to the update, at least. My bet's on another delay, but we'll see.

Edit: With the Will cites this translation for Habu's tweet. A bit different from the other one. Not sure which is more correct.

https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/1314262367778353152

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 8, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New episode summaries:

Ep19- Howl, Jyuoken
Script: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Sora Takenouchi, Koushiro Izumi, Mimi Tachikawa, and Jou Kido are blown back to the real Shibuya, Tokyo by Devimon. Taichi Yagami and Yamato Ishida are left stranded in the desert when they come upon a giant Valvemon. The Valvemon is transporting something, and the transportation force is led by Minotaurmon. Minotaurmon orders a storm of Troopmon to attack Taichi's group but Leomon, leader of the resistance, and his gang save them and rescue them from the desert. According to Leomon, his resistance was trying to steal the cargo that Valvemon was transporting. The cargo apparently has something to do with the holy Digimon...

Ep20- The Seventh Child's Awakening
Script: Masashi Sogo
Yamato's brother Takeru is in the Digital World, but he is kidnapped by Velgrmon. Taichi and Yamato pursue them desperately with their Digimon partners and finally save Takeru. But they only have a brief moment to celebrate. Velgrmon's vicious attack heads for Taichi and Yamato. Just when this situation with no escape closes in on them, a single bright light flies towards them.

Ep21- The Counter Update (Armed Evolution)
A mysterious enemy, SkullKnightmon, suddenly appears and steals the digiegg of the holy Digimon. Taichi, Yamato, and Takeru chase after SkullKnightmon and reach a threatening-looking tower surrounded by a black swamp. In it was a large hole that the holy Digimon made in order to rush to Takeru. This place was where the holy Digimon were captured, in other words, their destination. A giant Digimon in the shape of a water tiger, Splashmon, appears out of the swamp and attack them.

Ep22- The Unyielding Blue Sagittarius
Script: Toshiaki Satou
Taichi and the others continue their chase after SkullKnightmon in order to get back the stolen digiegg of the holy Digimon. After defeating the guard, Splashmon, they enter the castle that's built on top of ElDoradimon who is soaking itself in the swamp's miasma. SkullKnightmon is trying to bring the holy Digimon into darkness and make it work for them, so he drops the digiegg into the well of the miasma. Devimon's shadow appears behind him. Meanwhile, back in the real world, Devimon's allies have taken control of giant tankers and are closing in to use them for an impending attack.

Ep23- Devimon, Messenger of Darkness
Script: Kenji Konuta

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

New episode summaries:

Ep19- Howl, Jyuoken
Sora Takenouchi, Koushiro Izumi, Mimi Tachikawa, and Jou Kido are blown back to the real Shibuya, Tokyo by Devimon. Taichi Yagami and Yamato Ishida are left stranded in the desert when they come upon a giant Valvemon. The Valvemon is transporting something, and the transportation force is led by Minotaurmon. Minotaurmon orders a storm of Troopmon to attack Taichi's group but Leomon, leader of the resistance, and his gang save them and rescue them from the desert. According to Leomon, his resistance was trying to steal the cargo that Valvemon was transporting. The cargo apparently has something to do with the holy Digimon...

Ep20- The Seventh Child's Awakening
Script: Masashi Sogo
Yamato's brother Takeru is in the Digital World, but he is kidnapped by Velgrmon. Taichi and Yamato pursue them desperately with their Digimon partners and finally save Takeru. But they only have a brief moment to celebrate. Velgrmon's vicious attack heads for Taichi and Yamato. Just when this situation with no escape closes in on them, a single bright light flies towards them.

Ep21- The Counter Update (Armed Evolution)
A mysterious enemy, SkullKnightmon, suddenly appears and steals the digiegg of the holy Digimon. Taichi, Yamato, and Takeru chase after SkullKnightmon and reach a threatening-looking tower surrounded by a black swamp. In it was a large hole that the holy Digimon made in order to rush to Takeru. This place was where the holy Digimon were captured, in other words, their destination. A giant Digimon in the shape of a water tiger, Splashmon, appears out of the swamp and attack them.

Ep22- The Unyielding Blue Sagittarius
Script: Toshiaki Satou
Taichi and the others continue their chase after SkullKnightmon in order to get back the stolen digiegg of the holy Digimon. After defeating the guard, Splashmon, they enter the castle that's built on top of ElDoradimon who is soaking itself in the swamp's miasma. SkullKnightmon is trying to bring the holy Digimon into darkness and make it work for them, so he drops the digiegg into the well of the miasma. Devimon's shadow appears behind him. Meanwhile, back in the real world, Devimon's allies have taken control of giant tankers and are closing in to use them for an impending attack.

Ep23- Devimon, Messenger of Darkness
Script: Kenji Konuta

Some good Digimon showing up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Someone call Masaru he knows how to deal with tankers

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Velgrmon? Huh.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Guess that's why some of the Death Generals got listed as Perfects

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ya know, I'm glad Devimon remains the most intelligent villain

Oh can't kill these dickheads? Just dump them far, far, far away

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Omnicrom posted:

I have the sense that someone somewhere would actually like to use some of those designs again in something, so can you get on that? Thank you very much.

Basically if Zamielmon shows up 6 months from now in Adventure 20 to get thrashed by Rosemon in her debut I want it on record that I called it.

Oh hey, sooner than I expected.

Burkion posted:

Ya know, I'm glad Devimon remains the most intelligent villain

Gonna quibble with that "remains" bit considering Devimon in 99 did almost nothing during his tenure as villain, and especially not anything I'd call particularly intelligent. The one thing he repeatedly did was send Leomon with a Dark Gear, and that seems like it goes against him being "intelligent" because every single time he tried that Leomon got immediately repurified by the digivices. He also sent Ogremon out a lot, and seeing as Ogremon was completely ineffectual until his face turn (long after Devimon was dead) that also doesn't strike me as particularly smart. He also took the one opportunity where the kids were completely at his mercy to send most of them off to who knows where, ensuring their survival and continued resistance.

What I'm interested in are the titles. Is the title of episode 21 literally "The Counter Update"? And who is the "The Blue Sagittaurius?" The summary for 22 gives no indication as to what that refers to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xros Wars Digimon are expected after the update but goddamn Splashmon and SkullKnightmon? I can't say I'm not super excited for this, I love how the XW boys are now fully usable for the franchise and I hope we get more because I can't help but get hyped for what I thought impossible just a few weeks ago!

Also Frontier Digimon are unexpected despite games putting them in clearer levels. Velgrmon should be a Perfect with how those work, which makes sense.

I also want to know what the Blue Sagittarius is. I can't think of any Digimon that fits that, the closest Digimon would be Sagittarimon, obviously, who has very little blue. Also what Armed Evolution is referring to.
God, I can't wait.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Hoping for a return of Armor Digivolutions.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I also want to know what the Blue Sagittarius is. I can't think of any Digimon that fits that, the closest Digimon would be Sagittarimon, obviously, who has very little blue. Also what Armed Evolution is referring to. God, I can't wait.

He does, but...He is Veemon + The Digiegg of Hope, and Veemon is very blue.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Are the other four kids just not in these?!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine they'll be involved in the stuff Devimon's allies are doing in the real world.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/withthewill/status/1315072607729848320?s=21

Wh

Are they saying he won’t die this time?!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Am I misremembering or wasn’t there at least one season where Leomon didn’t die (apart from Appmon which to my knowledge didn’t have one that is)?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Am I misremembering or wasn’t there at least one season where Leomon didn’t die (apart from Appmon which to my knowledge didn’t have one that is)?

MadLeomon dies, and is then resurrected as a normal Leomon. That’s probably what you’re thinking of

Also, Appmon’s equivalent of Leomon dying was Oujamon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

One of the Xross ones I think, where they had multiple Leomons

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

One of the Xross ones I think, where they had multiple Leomons

No, XW anime and manga each just had the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

The Leomon in V-Tamer also survived. He also evolved all the way to Ultimate, so good for him.