Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd like to read Elizabeth Hand's novels. Any recs on where to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I saw Waking the Moon at a secondhand book store once but did not buy it but thought about buying it. Wikipedia says that the American edition is missing a hundred pages, though, so be sure to steer clear of that.

Edit: Wikipedia also has a note saying that the author prefers that one, so maybe get it specifically? My work computer won't let me see the Usenet thread cited.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I saw Waking the Moon at a secondhand book store once but did not buy it but thought about buying it. Wikipedia says that the American edition is missing a hundred pages, though, so be sure to steer clear of that.

Edit: Wikipedia also has a note saying that the author prefers that one, so maybe get it specifically? My work computer won't let me see the Usenet thread cited.

I'll check that out, thanks! I'm working from ebooks - I went from "eh I'll get a kindle I guess" to "KINDLES ONLY THEY RULE" instantly

e:

quote:

It was Liz's choice to cut the novel and it is about 120 page shorter.

I read the UK too but she told me that most of the cuts came from the
first 2-300 pages.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 24, 2020

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

xcheopis posted:

For non-fiction, The Earth Moved by Amy Stewart is quite good.

Thank you for this. It led me to another Amy Stewart book that I ended up getting for her - Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

this is such a wonderful book

It's been a long time since I've read Kosinski, and I never got around to reading The Painted Bird, but I found a lot of his books -- Steps, Cockpit, Passion Play, Pinball -- fascinating when I was younger. That was before I learned about the weirdness in his personal life, which puts his constant obsession with disguise, deception, and control in a different light.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm looking for books for someone currently in a psych ward. She'd like:

- Sci fi or fantasy preferred
- Something engrossing and long that she can really dive into
- No strong themes of suicide or abuse
- Prefers female protagonists and possibly themes of feminism - even better if the author is female
- YA is fine, but not if it's sappy romance
- Recent books preferred, but not so new I can't get a paperback copy within a day or two

Her most recent favorite series is the Winternight trilogy (The Bear and the Nightingale, The Girl in the Tower, Winter of the Witch). Graphic novels are good too - she really likes Saga and Bone.

Thanks!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I just read T. Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon)'s A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking, which was fun if not particularly deep -- might be suitable.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I just finished Six of Crows and its sequel, Crooked Kingdom, and enjoyed the hell out of both. The mixture of magic and solid heist stuff was fantastic.

Can anybody suggest anything similar? It doesn't necessarily have to have a fantasy component since I'd imagine that "magical heist book" might be a narrow category. I just really love heist poo poo. Those two books were a lot like a long episode of Leverage.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Farten Barfen posted:

I just finished Six of Crows and its sequel, Crooked Kingdom, and enjoyed the hell out of both. The mixture of magic and solid heist stuff was fantastic.

Can anybody suggest anything similar? It doesn't necessarily have to have a fantasy component since I'd imagine that "magical heist book" might be a narrow category. I just really love heist poo poo. Those two books were a lot like a long episode of Leverage.
Well, as far as magical heists go, probably the two most popular series that do that would be the Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch (straight-up fantasy) and Daniel Faust by Craig Schaefer (modern-day urban fantasy).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Rotten Red Rod posted:

- Prefers female protagonists and possibly themes of feminism - even better if the author is female
- Recent books preferred, but not so new I can't get a paperback copy within a day or two

Her most recent favorite series is the Winternight trilogy (The Bear and the Nightingale, The Girl in the Tower, Winter of the Witch). Graphic novels are good too - she really likes Saga and Bone.

Thanks!

Le Guin all the way. Whatever you can get your hands on is fine.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Stringent posted:

Le Guin all the way. Whatever you can get your hands on is fine.

Tehanu may not be, given the request...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sarern posted:

Tehanu may not be, given the request...

Funny, I had it in the back of my mind that might be the best one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thanks!

Wheel of Time might be a good option as it's just an incredibly long dive with lots of female characters and themes of feminism, but there are some dark themes (PTSD, abuse, some sexual violence).

Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion is about a female paladin (basically her 1st edition paladin character). Again, female author, female protag, but some definite themes of abuse.

For something *light*, I'd recommend the Murderbot series by Martha Wells -- female writer, gender nonspecific protagonist, themes of social anxiety.

Anything by Leguin is gonna be an obvious pick, you can go with her SF stuff as well as Earthsea.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 28, 2020

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Starsight by Brandon Sanderson

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Looking for a non-fiction rec, and it’s really specific. Is there a book that explores or argues for/against making art as religious expression? Not the history of art in religion, but about the philosophy behind it. For example, maybe something about how painting or music is an act of piety, or if art is/isn’t something intrinsically spiritual. Really anything around these sorts of ideas. Thanks.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Any ideas for books like Pattern Recognition / the Blue Ant trilogy by William Gibson? I’ve read his other books but I’m after something less sci fi. Genre agnostic (eg could be thriller, detective, action whatever) - more interested in something focusing on trends, micro cultures, information and the internet, etc - a similar vibe. Any ideas? I know Gibson is kind of his own thing.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 6, 2020

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Any suggestions for non-fiction books on the prison-industrial complex? I’m feeling woefully underinformed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blamestorm posted:

Any ideas for books like Pattern Recognition / the Blue Ant trilogy by William Gibson? I’ve read his other books but I’m after something less sci fi. Genre agnostic (eg could be thriller, detective, action whatever) - more interested in something focusing on trends, micro cultures, information and the internet, etc - a similar vibe. Any ideas? I know Gibson is kind of his own thing.

The closest author to William Gibson is probably Charles Stross, but he's also his own thing and not precisely the same. Try his Accelerando which you should be able to find as a free download here: https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html

Idaholy Roller posted:

Any suggestions for non-fiction books on the prison-industrial complex? I’m feeling woefully underinformed.

https://newjimcrow.com/ might be a good place to start.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Blamestorm posted:

It's near-future SF, but Malka Older's Infomocracy might be up your alley. The main characters are poll-watchers and consultants working on the eve of a global election, with a lot of microcosmic politicking, information brokering and believable tech stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Idaholy Roller posted:

I haven't read Shane Bauer's American Prison, but I did read the article that he later expanded into the book, and it was good stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Blamestorm posted:

Greg Egan’s Quarantine is a detective novel about a corporation doing suspicious human tests of a hard sf nature. One of the more disturbing accounts of like, forced labour I’ve read as well. Recommend.

I thought Blackfish City by Sam Miller was kind of like a Gibson novel. Was hoping for Inuit futurism but it’s not that. It’s otherwise ok though.

Autonomous by Annalee Newitz is like, biotech hacker running from corporations all over North America while doing activism. It’s also just fine.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check em out!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Is there anything like King's On Writing for the art of songwriting? I know very little musical theory so something appropriate for laymen preferably. Alternatively a good autobiography of a musician that delves into their songwriting process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

Is there anything like King's On Writing for the art of songwriting? I know very little musical theory so something appropriate for laymen preferably. Alternatively a good autobiography of a musician that delves into their songwriting process.

Not exactly a 1:1 equivalent, but Paul Zollo's Songwriters On Songwriting has a variety of voices and personalities he interviews, from Bob Dylan to Frank Zappa to David Byrne. It's good for linear reading, or opening up to specific interview, and highlighting/making notes about specific ideas within the conversation.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Looking for something like Jane Austen, i.e something centered on women in the 19th c. anglophone world, with a focus on the working class rather than the landed gentry.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Looking for something like Jane Austen, i.e something centered on women in the 19th c. anglophone world, with a focus on the working class rather than the landed gentry.

Summer by Edith Wharton might be a little of what you're looking for, though it's a) sort of a deep cut and b) also an odd one, given that a lot of her other work is about navigating upper class NYC.

I might be off base, though; I haven't read any Wharton since grad school back in 2011, and the class was so existentially painful due to length and professor that I spent my evenings afterwards getting drunk out of my knickers to forget.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Summer by Edith Wharton might be a little of what you're looking for, though it's a) sort of a deep cut and b) also an odd one, given that a lot of her other work is about navigating upper class NYC.

I might be off base, though; I haven't read any Wharton since grad school back in 2011, and the class was so existentially painful due to length and professor that I spent my evenings afterwards getting drunk out of my knickers to forget.

Sounds like just the thing! Thanks pal.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I read a lot of everything and I just came off a big non-fiction binge so I need to unwind a bit with a little crazy. Are there any logical expansion points from Kafka? I re-visit his writings every few years and I'd like something similar.

Also, does anyone have good jumping off points for getting into the weirdness that was paladin press books? Looking for recommendations of the most bananas books they've published.

Thanks!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

knuthgrush posted:

I read a lot of everything and I just came off a big non-fiction binge so I need to unwind a bit with a little crazy. Are there any logical expansion points from Kafka? I re-visit his writings every few years and I'd like something similar.
Nabokov's Invitation to a Beheading and Bend Sinister are extremely Kafkaesque novels that he maintained he wrote before he had even heard of Kafka (EDIT: only for Invitation to a Beheading, but he also denied influence from Kafka on Bend Sinister). They're also really good.

knuthgrush posted:

Also, does anyone have good jumping off points for getting into the weirdness that was paladin press books? Looking for recommendations of the most bananas books they've published.
The only thing I know about them is that this book got them sued for facilitating several murders, but I assume that you also know that, but someone obviously has to post it and get it out of the way.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 16, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

knuthgrush posted:

I used to enjoy George Hayduke's various books on revenge. And Bradley Steiner's The Death Dealer's Manual is a classic for wannabe John Wicks everywhere.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

passion according to GH by Lispector, the class by Hermann Ungar

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks, fair goons! I've got these added to my short list.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
I’d like an easy, thrilling page turner, set in modern times to get me back into reading.

Something light, like Michael Crichton (which I’ve never read) or Stephen King (but just the thriller part, not paranormal and please not in New England).

Edit: looked at Neal Stephenson’s latest novel but it seems the last one is a sort of sequel to Reamde? and reamde was a bit of a mess and aged sort of badly

Later edit: didn’t Stephenson had a book centered on linguistics or intepreting an old language? I’d like something like that but I can’t find it

cosmin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 18, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's not quite modern any more by a couple decades but Pictures at 11 by Norman Spinrad is a fun and easy read.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cosmin posted:

Later edit: didn’t Stephenson had a book centered on linguistics or intepreting an old language? I’d like something like that but I can’t find it

Related: Max Barry's Lexicon is a lot of fun. Not language-related: Josh Bazell's Beat the Reaper.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just actually read Jurassic Park? It's set in late 80s/early 90s but it's pretty good.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

cosmin posted:

I’d like an easy, thrilling page turner, set in modern times to get me back into reading.
Something light, like Michael Crichton (which I’ve never read) or Stephen King (but just the thriller part, not paranormal and please not in New England).

I recently blew through the Andromeda Strain in most of a day and a night. It's a great page-turner.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for all your recommendations! Lexicon sounds right up my alley!

And I know at some point in time I will binge through Crichton, waiting for flights to start again as they seem like perfect airplane lecture

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Today's WaPo has a review of a book that sounds up your alley as well: https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...bf08_story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

cosmin posted:

Anathem and the time isolated monks who preserved knowledge across ages?