Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Someone else can chime in, but the dewalt tablesaw is pretty much the best contractor saw out there. The fence adjustment mechanism is awesome. Can take a dado too.

Next step up would be the small sawstop IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is the one I was using until recently. It's fine.

you had it stuck in a table though right, or were you using the extendo-rail?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

you had it stuck in a table though right, or were you using the extendo-rail?

I had it in a table, yeah, but that only provided outfeed space. There were no wings on that part of the table.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

B-Nasty posted:

What, exactly, are you spraying?

A shitload of Bonide stuff. Most of it is organic, except for one or two things.

In the next few weeks I’ll be spraying all of these several times...

Bonide Revitalize Bio-Fungicide
Bonide Infuse
Bonide Copper Fungicide
Bonide Neem Oil (need to test this stuff before I apply it for real)

... followed by this once all the leaves on my trees have fallen off and they’ve gone dormant.

Bonide All Seasons Spray Oil

I maaaaay add one or two other things to the mix if I need to, but those are all the things I know I’ll be spraying right now.

stealie72 posted:

This. Using a sprayer outside, you are mostly worried about breathing in droplets of the stuff. Unless you are using something super nasty, in which case you should not be asking random DIY fans on the internet for advice, the p100 is going to take care of you.

Okay but which P100? There are like 10 different P100 things on that 3M list. Do I need the white-and-magenta one, the yellow-and-magenta one, the green-and-magenta one, the “olive”-and-magenta one, or the OTHER yellow-and-magenta one?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

A shitload of Bonide stuff. Most of it is organic, except for one or two things.

Organic doesn't mean poo poo about whether it's harmful or not.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I always use the organic vapor/acid gas ones and they are probably overkill but they aren’t much more expensive and just as (un)comfortable as the others.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay but which P100? There are like 10 different P100 things on that 3M list. Do I need the white-and-magenta one, the yellow-and-magenta one, the green-and-magenta one, the “olive”-and-magenta one, or the OTHER yellow-and-magenta one?

Organic Vapor/P100 cart, should be magenta/black.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
I recently lost access to a hammer drill and need to buy one for myself. The project at the moment is just drilling some 1/4" holes into brick, which I'm sure literally any hammer drill could accomplish, but I feel stupid spending $50-$100 on a basic corded hammer drill that would be good for this purpose only.

For $70 I can get a no name 1.5" SDS drill with a case and a few bits.

For $120 I can get a reburb Bosch 1" SDS-Plus

Thoughts?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I recently lost access to a hammer drill and need to buy one for myself. The project at the moment is just drilling some 1/4" holes into brick, which I'm sure literally any hammer drill could accomplish, but I feel stupid spending $50-$100 on a basic corded hammer drill that would be good for this purpose only.

Thoughts?

When has underbuying a tool ever paid off?

Deep down, you know what you must do

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Organic Vapor/P100 cart, should be magenta/black.

Cool, thanks. :)

On another note, are any of these good sanders for a tight space (less than 4” wide)?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Corner-Cat-Finish-Sander-Tool-Only-P401/206354299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-P450/206955207

I want to get the Ryobi 6A corded 3”x18” belt sander and save some cash, but with all that tool bulk on the side it looks like it won’t fit in the space I need. I may have to grab a cordless one on eBay for cheaper than Home Depot.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

On another note, are any of these good sanders for a tight space (less than 4” wide)?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Corner-Cat-Finish-Sander-Tool-Only-P401/206354299

I want to get the Ryobi 6A corded 3”x18” belt sander and save some cash, but with all that tool bulk on the side it looks like it won’t fit in the space I need. I may have to grab a cordless one on eBay for cheaper than Home Depot.

Something like that corner cat is going to be your best bet for tight spaces. If that won't fit, you're going to have to hand sand. I don't know what you're trying to do, but "belt sander" and "tight spaces" usually aren't in the same sentence. Belt sanders are for quickly removing lots of material when you can easily move them around.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

more falafel please posted:

Something like that corner cat is going to be your best bet for tight spaces. If that won't fit, you're going to have to hand sand. I don't know what you're trying to do, but "belt sander" and "tight spaces" usually aren't in the same sentence. Belt sanders are for quickly removing lots of material when you can easily move them around.

And on closer inspection it looks like the cordless belt sander has the same size problem as the corded one, so yeah I guess you’re right. Corner cat sander it is then!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Try a paint scraper first?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Thoughts?

I'd probably go with the Bosch if my budget didn't allow for high end brand new. We've got a few Bosch rotary hammer drill s at work. They're quite good. Get some GOOD bits with it too. Don't cheap out on the bits or you'll probably regret it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Mambold posted:

Try a paint scraper first?

Can you elaborate?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

Can you elaborate?

I have no idea what surface you're trying to take down whether indoors, outdoors, whatever; but a sharp scraper is narrow and efficient.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Another option for tight spaces is an oscillating multi-tool with a sanding attachment.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-...35-01/305884644

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Another option for tight spaces is an oscillating multi-tool with a sanding attachment.

:eyepop:
ohhh I didn't know such a tool existed. I could use this for all kinds of things. I wonder if WEN makes one for $20 like the rotary tools.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

For $100 you can probably get a Ryobi cordless Multitool.. might fit.. battery might make it too big. I love my Oscilating multi tool it's baller.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
For $100, I'd recommend the Rockwell version.

It's not a tool you're going to use every day, but when you use it, it is the EXACT tool you need.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Also, for plunge cutting with the oscillating multi-tool, the Bosch blades are worth the money, regardless the tool brand you buy.

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
ohhh I didn't know such a tool existed. I could use this for all kinds of things. I wonder if WEN makes one for $20 like the rotary tools.

The WEN version is $40.

https://smile.amazon.com/WEN-2312-Variable-Multifunction-Oscillating/dp/B005UKGKYK/

But, there's a Harbor Freight coupon to get one for $20.

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/VARIABLE+SPEED+MULTIFUNCTION+POWER+TOOL

tater_salad posted:

For $100 you can probably get a Ryobi cordless Multitool.. might fit.. battery might make it too big. I love my Oscilating multi tool it's baller.

Eh, I just pulled the first result from Home Depot.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Also, for plunge cutting with the oscillating multi-tool, the Bosch blades are worth the money, regardless the tool brand you buy.

Word of warning on this one, that there are two types of blade, quick change and.. not quick change, and some tools (mine for instance) can only take quick change blades. any tool that takes non-quick-change (full circle) can also take quick-change (partial circle), though.

The Bosch ones I see around are the full-circle kind.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:heysexy:
Now thats the stuff

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I have a Fein multimaster, and it is an amazing tool. Sure, you don't use it most days, but holy hell an oscillating multi-tool can get you out of a hell of a lot of jams, or do things that almost no other tool could do.

Definitely worth having one in the arsenal.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Figured I'd share my experience with DeWalt's 3 year tool warranty. Second time dealing with them, first was a 20V battery that failed a while back, after about 1.5 years of use. Called, gave info off battery and told the CSR I had a receipt (I do, but they did not verify anything more than the serial off the pack). They sent me a new battery, and told me to recycle the old one.

Fast forward to the end of this September, my 20V string trimmer purchased in late 2018 quit with no warning. I set up a return through their website and printed a free UPS shipping label. They did take a card # but told me it wouldn't be charged without calling me first (in the case that the tool was not warranty eligible due to abuse or whatever, then it's $55 to repair).

I went ahead and bought a new string trimmer cause I figured it would take a while, and we're still mid-season here in The South. Last week I came home to a brand new string trimmer from DeWalt on my front porch. Not even two weeks turnaround, I shoulda held off on the new one.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Is there a specific name for this tool? For precision nail/staple removal

Can't hit on it with the search terms I'm trying

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nosre posted:

If it's not piranha, it should be.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nosre posted:

Still poking, but looks like it’s an upholstery tool and they’re still in business:

https://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/products.php

E: Got it— No.121 Tack and Staple Remover

https://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/product_detail.php?p_id=1024

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

drat, nice work! I'm in the EU but some UK places carry that exact one so I'll try that route.

Thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Little bit of epoxy to fix a crack in a plastic handle retainer:

And I've got another dumb german saw. And it's....blue?

Had no idea that was a thing. And yes, it's german not japanese. Looks like Makita bought Dolmar GmbH, the makers of the first chainsaw ever. This one appears to be late 90s and is old enough model that the molds say made in west germany. I sharpened the couple of chains I got with it and took it out for a test run. Cuts really nice. And more importantly it's an appropriately sized/weight limbing saw. Doing limbing work with the MS440 in the background is miserable - even with the "short" (25") bar on it.

Best part, got it for $100.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Nosre posted:

CS Osborne No. 121

edit: Upholstery Staple & Tack Remover

double edit, I didn't keep reading :downs:

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 12, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OSU_Matthew posted:

Still poking, but looks like it’s an upholstery tool and they’re still in business:

https://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/products.php

E: Got it— No.121 Tack and Staple Remover

https://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/product_detail.php?p_id=1024

Does anyone know what this from the description means:

quote:

Used for grooving out drawers, so when re-glued they will stick.
I have never heard the phrase ‘grooving out’ about drawers, and the part about sticking when reglued doesn’t help much. Every trade has its own fun vocabulary I guess.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Hi team, I'm looking for some recommmendations for the the AI: Secret Santa thread I'll be posting up in a couple of weeks.

I'd like suggestions for quality/useful/fun tools etc that are commonly available around the $20US price range. This way I can provide a good list of sugesstions for people to make the chosing process a little easier.

Have at it!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does anyone know what this from the description means:

I have never heard the phrase ‘grooving out’ about drawers, and the part about sticking when reglued doesn’t help much. Every trade has its own fun vocabulary I guess.

Scraping glue from rabbits? Not that I thought you should glue drawer bottoms but I dunno.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nosre posted:

I'm 98% sure I know what video this screenshot is from.

Yep!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am just an average homeowner looking for a level. Will I regret buying a 24 inch level instead of the 12? I know longer level will be more accurate, but is that too long to be useful in most situations? (hanging up shelves, pictures, etc etc etc)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I am just an average homeowner looking for a level. Will I regret buying a 24 inch level instead of the 12? I know longer level will be more accurate, but is that too long to be useful in most situations? (hanging up shelves, pictures, etc etc etc)

IMO the only reason to go for a smaller level is so you can fit it in tighter spaces, e.g. within a doorway. So I'd say use that as your guide for your upper limit, and otherwise buy the biggest one you can reasonably afford.

Very long levels get a bit awkward to hold steady with one hand, but I'm talking 6ft and usually you're using those vertically.

I tend to use a 6-7ft level for vertical stuff, 3-4ft for most things, and ~1ft when the others are too big. (sorry I don't know what the actual numbers are)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A torpedo level might be more of what you're after. I use mine for most simple homeowner tasks.

I also have a 36" level for more advanced stuff, but for pictures and stuff the torpedo does fine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

A torpedo level might be more of what you're after. I use mine for most simple homeowner tasks.

I also have a 36" level for more advanced stuff, but for pictures and stuff the torpedo does fine.

The answer is this. I own a torpedo, a 2 foot, and a 4 foot. I got the 2 foot because it was on sale for like $4 at Ace and never, ever use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stealie72 posted:

The answer is this. I own a torpedo, a 2 foot, and a 4 foot. I got the 2 foot because it was on sale for like $4 at Ace and never, ever use it.

Turns out "torpedo" is the term for the smallest one I have, yeah.