Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vandar posted:

There's also the fact that Jet Alone was nuclear powered and all it would take was one fight with an Angel going the wrong way for bad poo poo to happen.

I feel like that's a non-issue given how many worse things can go wrong with an Eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Why was NERV worried about Giant Robo or whatever? Could it have beaten an angel? Were they worried The Patriots would stop funding them despite The Patriots knowing the giant robot didn't stand a chance?

The ways in which it wouldn't have worked would have raised some serious questions about their cover story for the Evas.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive said it before, but there are multiple Angels that Jet Alone or multiple Jet Alones could have handled. Sabotaging the project was entirely to keep funding and derail any possible alternative to the Evas, not because it would have revealed a secret truth given that the developers of Jet Alone were also working on an artificial AT field.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
An artificial AT Field would never have been a thing. There's nothing in the Eva setting that implies they have anything close to functioning energy field technologies without using giant lobotomized cyborgs to project giant soul walls.

Jet Alone was never going to work. What was one going to do with Sahaqueil? Walk towards the impact zone menacingly and die along with the city?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 6, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

An artificial AT Field would never have been a thing. There's nothing in the Eva setting that implies they have anything close to functioning energy field technologies without using giant lobotomized cyborgs to protect giant soul walls.

Jet Alone was never going to work. What was one going to do with Sahaqueil? Walk towards the impact zone menacingly and die along with the city?

The "we almost have an artificial AT field!" seemed like the usual defense contractor brag.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not saying an artificial AT field is possible or not, merely that military contractors were aware of it and its properties enough to discuss it openly in that regard.

I also didn't say it could defeat all the angels, it patently couldn't within what is shown during the series run, but there are multiple angels it could have taken out which is a real issue for Gendo "Please Don't Look in My Basement" Ikari

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
All that shows is that they know the phrase "AT Field" exists. Given how much of the Evangelions' technology is wrapped up in double-secret bullshit locked away on a Magi hard drive, there's absolutely no way they knew the principals on which it operates (since that gives the game away on what the Evas are made out of). It's bluster trying to sell a product that would have gotten everyone killed almost immediately upon deployment as whatever dumbass weapon the JA fired bounced uselessly off an Angel's AT Field, followed by it promptly being exploded into a nuclear fireball.

No one at NERV was afraid of Jet Alone actually making the Evas obsolete. The entire press conference is just Ritsuko rolling her eyes.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 6, 2020

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sure like the stupid pink worm thing with the tentacles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RIP acid dripping angel, only one killed by convential ballistics weaponry

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
NERV plants rumors that the AT Field is somehow related to autism, leading to years of confusion and unethical experimentation by the military-industrial complex.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
The pilots don't even know what the AT field is until very late

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The pilots don't even know what the AT field is until very late
You can usually chalk that up to "Gendo and Lorenz hid parts of the Dead Sea Scrolls and..." :techno:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You don't have to chalk that up to anything, really. It makes sense. NERV keeps knowledge about the Evangelions on a need to know basis and unless you're directly working on them, you don't need to know. Hell, Misato doesn't even know much about them and I'd bet information's probably very compartmentalized even among the mechanical staff. You can count how many people at NERV who know the full picture on one hand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

You don't have to chalk that up to anything, really. It makes sense. NERV keeps knowledge about the Evangelions on a need to know basis and unless you're directly working on them, you don't need to know. Hell, Misato doesn't even know much about them and I'd bet information's probably very compartmentalized even among the mechanical staff. You can count how many people at NERV who know the full picture on one hand.

One guy on the lower third tier of NERV HQ's command bridge, that real weirdo with the cork board and string mind map, he put the whole puzzle together in his spare time, but all he managed to do was go "So wait, he's doing this just to gently caress his dead wife again?" before he was killed instantly as SEELE troops blasted through the wall with a demo charge and began gunning down his co-workers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There's no Chairman Keel, you gotta be kidding me, I got boxes full of Keel! All right, so I start marching my way down to Maya in H.R. and I knock on her door and I say, "Maaaya, Maaaya! I gotta talk to you about Keel!" And when I open the door, what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office. There is no Maya in H.R. Kaji, half the employees in this underground pyramid have been made up. This office is a goddamn ghost town.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Kind of want to see a spin off now where it's all Jet Alone saving the day. NERV is bankrupt. Gendo just watches JA on the news. The kids lead normal lives and cheer Jet Alone on during its battles etc. A wholesome story of Tokyo 3 supporting their robot hero.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

redsniper posted:

Kind of want to see a spin off now where it's all Jet Alone saving the day. NERV is bankrupt. Gendo just watches JA on the news. The kids lead normal lives and cheer Jet Alone on during its battles etc. A wholesome story of Tokyo 3 supporting their robot hero.

I, too, would like to see Hideaki Anno's Shin Godzilla vs. Megalon.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I, too, would like to see Hideaki Anno's Shin Godzilla vs. Megalon.

This but extremely unironically

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

This but extremely unironically

did it sound like i was being ironic? i already like regular Godzilla vs. Megalon well enough

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Julias posted:

Jet AIone, Jet AItwo, Jet AIthree...

The Jet AIs

Blood Pattern: Blue means there's a high concentration of midichlorians in the subject and must be destroyed at all costs

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

redsniper posted:

And then everyone shits themselves when Zeruel obliterates it in one attack.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nine-gear crow posted:

One guy on the lower third tier of NERV HQ's command bridge, that real weirdo with the cork board and string mind map, he put the whole puzzle together in his spare time, but all he managed to do was go "So wait, he's doing this just to gently caress his dead wife again?" before he was killed instantly as SEELE troops hit him again with the flamethrower

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How many Eva fanfics try to make JetAlone not complete rear end?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Eva fanfics

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

One guy on the lower third tier of NERV HQ's command bridge, that real weirdo with the cork board and string mind map, he put the whole puzzle together in his spare time, but all he managed to do was go "So wait, he's doing this just to gently caress his dead wife again?" before he was killed instantly as SEELE troops blasted through the wall with a demo charge and began gunning down his co-workers.

I can't remember, was it plausible (or even eventually stated) that Yui intended to get sucked into Unit 01, or was that just a whoopsie?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'd consent to be a giant purple robot myself

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't remember, was it plausible (or even eventually stated) that Yui intended to get sucked into Unit 01, or was that just a whoopsie?
DEATH(true)² makes it so it suggests Yui knew the deep contact experiment would place her in the Eva.

(That whole conversation about needing to ensure Shinji has a future/knowing that SEELE is after her )

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Fuyutsuki says as much in EoE, I think.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, their final conversation a minute before she gets merged into Unit 01 is basically full of doublespeak of him asking her one last time if she’s absolutely sure that she still wants to go through with it, and her affirming her decision.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

How many Eva fanfics try to make JetAlone not complete rear end?

I remember this big eva fanfic (well big back in the day) had an alternate ending where instead of the Eva series it was the Jet Alone Primes from the PS2 game that showed up

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Glad I popped in here to see the blu-ray news. in in in in

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just finished watching this for the first time in like 15 years. It was better than I remembered, but at the same time it was also worse than I remembered. Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
it’s a really slow start imo. the angel battles are cool but the meat and the potatoes is like 12 episodes in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

star eater posted:

it’s a really slow start imo. the angel battles are cool but the meat and the potatoes is like 12 episodes in.

idk, the initial 'Shinji finds a home' arc is pretty strong.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

(all spoiler tags in this post refer to ep 6 of Gunbuster)

I finally watched Gunbuster this week, and obviously as a mecha anime directed by Anno there were lots of similarities to Evangelion ranging from expected to unexpected:

Protagonist is too scared to do anything a lot of the time
Incredible control room aesthetics
Lots of nearly 0/nearly 100 percentages being read off
The enemy cannot be communicated with and does not resemble life as we know it
Fan service
Somewhat idiosyncratic music choices during action scenes
Large portions of the last episode are barely animated
He loving named a character Jung Freud and she's a fiery redhead!
Use of archaic we/wo katakana in place of e/o on the Exelion ship as in the rebuild titles
15 year time skip (sort of)

The other major comparison that came to mind was Starship Troopers. I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie (obviously this came before the movie), but it seemed very similar: Humanity encounters aliens while in deep space, aliens defend themselves, humans loving genocide them. I don't think the motives of the initial expedition are laid bare, given everything else it could be assumed they were conquerors rather than explorers. Similarly, the aliens, while clearly an advanced spacefaring race, are reduced to nothing but monsters. It's not clear what side the creators take here though- it's not openly satirical like the Starship Troopers movie was, but they keep mentioning that there are *billions* of enemies in the final battle and humanity destroys the better part of the galaxy, possible home to innumerable undiscovered civilizations, so I think they want the viewer to think about that. So in that way it's like Eva in that it dresses up some seriously dark themes in gung-ho shonen mecha tropes. I haven't gotten around to watching the Gunbuster Science episodes, but they seem like an interesting point of unintentional similarity, given that the Starship Troopers movie did a lot of exposition via faux news/educational broadcasts. Anyway, watch it if you haven't, it's only 6 eps and as a late 80s OVA of course it's beautiful.

donut fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 11, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finished the death true movie. Going to watch EoE this week.
I’m happy I watched the death true movie, it refreshed my memory a lot. I didn’t exactly binge this series and it’s sometimes so slow it lost my attention.
It’s a good summary.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

donut posted:

The other major comparison that came to mind was Starship Troopers. I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie (obviously this came before the movie), but it seemed very similar: Humanity encounters aliens while in deep space, aliens defend themselves, humans loving genocide them. I don't think the motives of the initial expedition are laid bare, given everything else it could be assumed they were conquerors rather than explorers. Similarly, the aliens, while clearly an advanced spacefaring race, are reduced to nothing but monsters. It's not clear what side the creators take here though- it's not openly satirical like the Starship Troopers movie was, but they keep mentioning that there are *billions* of enemies in the final battle and humanity destroys the better part of the galaxy, possible home to innumerable undiscovered civilizations, so I think they want the viewer to think about that. So in that way it's like Eva in that it dresses up some seriously dark themes in gung-ho shonen mecha tropes. I haven't gotten around to watching the Gunbuster Science episodes, but they seem like an interesting point of unintentional similarity, given that the Starship Troopers movie did a lot of exposition via faux news/educational broadcasts. Anyway, watch it if you haven't, it's only 6 eps and as a late 80s OVA of course it's beautiful.

I'm basically of the same opinion.

The show starts by parodying of sports anime Aim for the Ace, but rather than practicing to become a tennis player Noriko is practicing to become a soldier. Noriko's peppy, wanting to prove herself to everyone (but especially her oneesama!) attitude leads her to power through her war trauma, save the day by jumping onto an enemy spear, wipe out an enemy fleet as pop music plays, and ultimately participate in a massive fleet battle modeled off of World War 2 films that ends with her heroically making a sacrifice to wipe out a species.

I think the underlying point is that the sort of sublimation-of-the-self present in deniably gay sports anime is ultimately the same sublimation-of-the-self present in more obviously nationalist shows.

The Gunbuster Science episodes are very Would You Like to Know More. I kind of doubt that was a direct reference, but Starship Troopers was definitely tapping into the same sentiment.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 11, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the Daikon III animation features a Powered Suit from Starship Troopers that Anno was specifically tasked with animating, and he's famously well-read both in general, and particularly re: 60s/70s anglophone sci-fi (Evangelion is littered with references to stories from that era and cultural context)

it's been years since i saw Gunbuster so I don't have much to say re: interpretation but it's a safe bet it at least has something to say on the topic

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Now that I've watched the science episodes (they were shorter than I expected!), there are definitely some pretty overt references to other properties.

Warp navigation, for example, is half Star Trek, half Dune.

Edit: I may have this backwards, Cetacean Ops may actually have been a Gunbuster homage? Wild. https://forgottentrek.com/where-do-i-find-the-dolphins/

donut fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are actually a lot of anime references in TNG background stuff because a few of the staff were huge anime nerds. Off the top of my head, aside from the dolphin thing, there are multiple background references to Dirty Pair, Urusei Yatsura gets nodded to a couple times, and the alien that stabs picard in the chest as a cadet is called a Nausicaan.