Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Here we go.
Finally a new project on my table:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Scut posted:

Considering how many of these you have, I would suggest trying something new on each successive one you paint. Number them and maybe keep notes to help remember what worked and what was a dead end.

He's well on his way to one hell of a wargaming project.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Here we go.
Finally a new project on my table:

Oh hell yeah! What sort of price is that kit going for?

I'm getting ready to paint my 1/35 Fliege capsule kit. I added some bits to gussy it up as well as make the hatch rim look more fleshed out (it was meant to have a closed hatch originally). I'm thinking of a kinda spacey paint scheme where the front is a dark purple grey and the rear would be lighter colour, running with an idea that it will be more visible to lance-mates trailing behind.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

mllaneza posted:

He's well on his way to one hell of a wargaming project.

Sorta? Mechatop is a game I might play at some point. But really, I think it would be cool to have a tachikoma-like squadron of these on a diorama on the wall.

.................. I'm printing another 10 right now.

I'm going to need to decide how far i'm willing to go. They are QUITE tiny, so there's a wide forgiveness for lack of detail.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nerobro posted:

Sorta? Mechatop is a game I might play at some point. But really, I think it would be cool to have a tachikoma-like squadron of these on a diorama on the wall.

I'm going to need to decide how far i'm willing to go. They are QUITE tiny, so there's a wide forgiveness for lack of detail.

I'm not gonna argue with the diorama !

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nerobro posted:

Looking at the mat for scale they look ballpark comparable to Battletech miniatures. You'll probably get a lot of mileage out of replacing the antenna with wire at that size, and a thin styrene rod would do the headlights pretty well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Looking at the mat for scale they look ballpark comparable to Battletech miniatures. You'll probably get a lot of mileage out of replacing the antenna with wire at that size, and a thin styrene rod would do the headlights pretty well.

You're not wrong. They are about the same size as "bigger" mechs. 1.5mm copper wire arrived yesterday, to replace the nasty antennas. And some 2mm styrene to replace the sensor heads. I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track. I also picked up some more paint, so I can get the proper variety of colors.

mllaneza posted:

I'm not gonna argue with the diorama !

I've got a whole lot of felt and cardboard... Things are gonna happen along that line.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Scut posted:

Oh hell yeah! What sort of price is that kit going for?
A bit less than 30€. somewhat on the high side, but not quite what I'd consider excessive.
The truck is fairly large, so even though it's 1:72 it's going to rival some of my 1:35 models in scale.
The kit also includes die-cut masks for the windows, which I didn't expect but is just such a frustration-saver down the road.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So here's a question. I'm planning on including a 1/60... Snowman in a build. I will probably make the base in resin, but like, do people have any advice on making it actually look made out of snow? should I just get some of those snow microbeads or whatever and some PVA glue and dunk the thing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
we are coming up on Christmas so non-asbestos fake snow sold by the bag should be in stores that sell holiday crap

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

everythingWasBees posted:

So here's a question. I'm planning on including a 1/60... Snowman in a build. I will probably make the base in resin, but like, do people have any advice on making it actually look made out of snow? should I just get some of those snow microbeads or whatever and some PVA glue and dunk the thing?

Baking soda makes for good looking fake snow, but people say that it will decay over a long time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It yellows a bit over time. I've found that mixing it about 1:4 with pollyfilla powder/spackle works pretty well for making it tough, and a little bit of PVA with the water when mixing that helps a lot too. If you want to go extra nuts you can paint on PVA, dunk in extra baking powder for the texture, and then get this stuff and spray it over the top to get that sparkling effect that real snow has when the light catches it right.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yeah I would rather something that wouldn't decay

My local shop has woodland scenics snow and I was wondering if I could just like basically flock a basic snowman shape in that

I'm putting the snowman in a robot so I don't need a super big amount of snow for scenic usage just need to sprinkle a little in the cockpit

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 14, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My local shop has woodland scenics snow and I was wondering if I could just like basically flock a basic snowman shape in that

I'm putting the snowman in a robot so I don't need a super big amount of snow for scenic usage just need to sprinkle a little in the cockpit

I'd probably try something suggested in this thread, then if it doesn't come out well just paint the fucker yellow.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

I'd try this:

I've used it for a Hoth diorama and it turned out really well. I guess you could build the snowman shape with some cork or putty and then slap the snow microballons with some PVA glue.

The pot is not too big, not as big as the ones used for railroad dioramas.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Reminder that AK interactive tried to make money off the Holocaust

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I am not 100% sure if that would be caused by the baking soda or the PVA glue TBH. It lasts for a reasonably long time before you are likely to see problems, and you can always give it another layer of baking soda if you need to.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Big Willy Style posted:

They're such a weird company, but honestly I think it's down to Mig, the original guy that spawned off AK from his own company, and the business partners he attracts all being terminally edgy tone-deaf shitbros. There's no malice there, just a bunch of completely oblivious morons.

Like, they used to put scantily clad cheesecake photos in their mags for some reason. Cause nothing goes together like building and painting a Vought F4U Corsair with pics of a half-naked russian mail order bride.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cause nothing goes together like building and painting a Vought F4U Corsair with pics of a half-naked russian mail order bride.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have recommendations for particular model kits that are full of really good greeblies for kitbashing on original spaceship model builds?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Adam Savage recommends the Hasagawa 1/72 Anzio Annie railway gun kit. See here for details.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

This is classy, compared to the magazine model with her top off and belt-mags barely covering her tits.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Big Willy Style posted:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They're such a weird company, but honestly I think it's down to Mig, the original guy that spawned off AK from his own company, and the business partners he attracts all being terminally edgy tone-deaf shitbros. There's no malice there, just a bunch of completely oblivious morons.

Like, they used to put scantily clad cheesecake photos in their mags for some reason. Cause nothing goes together like building and painting a Vought F4U Corsair with pics of a half-naked russian mail order bride.

I agree with Bloody Hedgehog.

I think they are really good at creating new quality products focused to the more intensely dedicated modelers, while keeping them relatively affordable. They've also been able to thrive notably and make their products known all over the world.

And they are also completely tone-deaf, innapropiate and not the kind of people you'd want to be friends or being seen in public with them, lest you die of embarrasment. I've got one of their Weathering Magasines and I almost never use it despite the great quality of the paintjobs described just because it feels incredibly innapropiate to see some full-page scantily clad girl between models.

Edit: Typos

Sparq fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 15, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sparq posted:

I've got one of their Weathering Magasines and I almost never use it despite the great quality of thepainntjobs described just because it feels incredibly innapropiate to see some full-page scantily clad girl between models.

If you like their mag content minus the dumb poo poo, you should grab any of their FAQ books if you don't own them already. They're pricey, but probably the best all-encompassing modeling books out there. The "Aircraft Scale Modeling FAQ" in particular is a masterclass in air modeling.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you like their mag content minus the dumb poo poo, you should grab any of their FAQ books if you don't own them already. They're pricey, but probably the best all-encompassing modeling books out there. The "Aircraft Scale Modeling FAQ" in particular is a masterclass in air modeling.

Yep, I've got the FAQ 1 and 2 for military models and dioramas. They are good stuff devoid of cringy poo poo.

I'll have to get the FAQ you mention once I get into planes. Thanks!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is Mig the guy with the SS t-shirt?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Didnt the AK guy work for the Mig guy, stole his wife (the model in those magazines) and started his own company? I know that the woman died a while back from breast cancer.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Is Mig the guy with the SS t-shirt?

Not the exact guy, but he's in that same photo.

Molentik posted:

Didnt the AK guy work for the Mig guy, stole his wife (the model in those magazines) and started his own company? I know that the woman died a while back from breast cancer.

Yeah. And now Mig is selling his products with AK again, because money. Well, I guess until the time he cancels a business partnership again. He's had like 3 or 4 businesses already, which all go up in flames because of his relationships with his business partners. His "Ammo" business us the first one with staying power it seems. I've heard he's kind of a pain in the rear end to work for, and drives people away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Molentik posted:

lmao about everything besides the cancer there.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
*loving applies a layer of Dachau Ash weathering pigment to a panzer*

They're just strange guys

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

*loving applies a layer of Dachau Ash weathering pigment to a panzer*

They're just strange guys

This whole post makes me uncomfortable, in like four different directions.

I know this is tongue in cheek, and I found it funny, as well as uncomfortable.

The whole discussion is the same one that keeps the American white supremacist's out in public.

I'm quite ok with people doing something and not knowing it. But keeping on after being told "hey, that's... not good" means they're doing it with full knowlege. That isn't good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I honestly kind of forget that the rest of DIY exists most of the time, if you ask me what forum this thread is in I would probably guess A/T.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ensign Expendable posted:

I honestly kind of forget that the rest of DIY exists most of the time, if you ask me what forum this thread is in I would probably guess A/T.
That is actually very helpful feedback.

This is really ‘DIY & Hobbies’ and ‘Hobbies’ includes lots of things that don’t necessarily have a ton in common. There’s an astronomy thread, a numismatics thread, and an Amateur radio thread in here too-it’s not all house stuff. If there’s something that we do have in common I think it is a passion for our subject, and we’re trying to find some ways to get a bit more cross-pollination between some of the various megathread communities in this subforum.

That being said, if y’all just want to chill and make models and do your own thing, that’s totally fine too! And if you’d be happier in a different forum (A/T? Trad Games?) we can arrange that as well, but I think there’s a lot we can all learn from each other. Having done both, there’s not a huge amount difference between distressing furniture and painting models except scale-it’s about tricking the eye and adding the dirt in an all the right places so it looks correct in both.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Holy loving poo poo, this isn't TG? :aaaaa:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Looks like Mr Hobby is working on a water-based surfacer:

https://twitter.com/creoshobby_info/status/1316675670106230784

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
More progress on the Miata. Should have it buttoned up this weekend and then I'll tear into the Group C Toyota.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Nerobro posted:

The whole discussion is the same one that keeps the American white supremacist's out in public.

I'm quite ok with people doing something and not knowing it. But keeping on after being told "hey, that's... not good" means they're doing it with full knowlege. That isn't good.

100% agree with this. "theyre weird guys!" doesn't apply when they're advertising using footage from night and fog, amd explaining how to paint a drowned child's body with their products. that poo poo's over the line

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nerobro posted:

ill be 100% honest here as a queer left-wing jew the absolute rabid obsession with nazi poo poo within the milhist/scale modelling community in general makes me pretty uncomfortable a lot of the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanine posted:

ill be 100% honest here as a queer left-wing jew the absolute rabid obsession with nazi poo poo within the milhist/scale modelling community in general makes me pretty uncomfortable a lot of the time!

Setting aside the Nazi part, which is admittedly a big ask, some of their planes and tanks looked cool and I don’t begrudge anyone who has a couple on the shelf, especially if they have an assortment of stuff because they build what grabs their interest at a moment. Grandpa Midjack got shot down by the Germans twice and built a bunch of WWII airplane models afterwards, including a fair number of Nazi planes but he did US, UK, and Japanese stuff too. Someone who mostly or only builds Nazi stuff is suspect, and dickheads who wear SS t-shirts to their build meets can get hosed with a chainsaw.