Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Happy Thread posted:

Huge contractor sized garbage bags are great for selectively quarantining different groceries or shipping boxes within in your house for a few days at least. With those, you don't risk losing track of time or mixing batches together. You can put respirators and face shields in there too, and they'll be safely stored and you'll know when it was used.

If you shop once a month, you tend to build up huge shopping lists of long-term storage stuff as well as fresh stuff. You'll spend less time in the store if you snap a photo of your typed shopping list, and set it to your lock screen. Go to share -> use as wallpaper -> lock screen then zoom it all the way out.

If it's a grocery list, pre-sort the list. For the best walking route I go in order of 1. fruit/vegatable produce, 2. non-food supplies, 3. long-term food stuff, 4. refrigerated stuff, and 5. frozen stuff. Shop in that order to avoid your stuff getting too warm by the time it gets into the freezer.

Have alcohol spray or at least peroxide spray ready to go at your front door for the frozen stuff, because soap and water will thaw it even worse if you try to wash it. Moving your trash can to your front door BEFORE you leave, for while you sort groceries/boxes/envelopes, is a good way to track indoors less before you do laundry (your shoes should have already been off step one as well). Alcohol spray doesn't hurt phones and is the best way to disinfect them.

I can hold my breath for over a minute now while navigating crowds and hazardous situations, whether exerting myself or not. Extra layer of protection

a respectable effort post for the cyberpunk future we’re living through :awesomelon:

thank you Happy Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Giga Gaia posted:

when i was searching for surgical masks my favorite thing was reading the reviews and noticing every 1 star rating was just racism. "great masks, fit perfectly. bought them to help with covid. only downside? MADE IN CHINA!!"
Lmao China exerting their soft power again

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lmao China exerting their soft power again

it was also great when early on when wuhan was successfully containing the spread and no one would believe those red chinese would report accurately. including on this very forum lol. meanwhile southern us states still sometimes report hundreds of 'lost' cases from last april lol

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Google Butt posted:

I'm just hoping viral load correlating to less severe symptoms is real and that my half mask results in a low viral load cause lol

external exposure = viral inoculum

current internal measurement = viral load

:viggo:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Giga Gaia posted:

it was also great when early on when wuhan was successfully containing the spread and no one would believe those red chinese would report accurately. including on this very forum lol
Remembering those pictures of funeral urns which proved China was covering up hundreds and thousands of deaths

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol like most all PPE is made in China now bc we’re a failed state

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Computer Serf posted:

external exposure = viral inoculum

current internal measurement = viral load

:viggo:

its simply not possible to measure my current internal load

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My wife and I each without telling the other, ordered N95s from China in January. I bought 2, she bought a box of 10. Mine turned out to be fake as hell (a cloth mask with speed holes and a paper filter insert), and the amazon listing promptly removed "n95" from their title once the demand surge wore down, but I have the e-mails to prove it. The 10 my wife bought were real ones that came with proper industrial instructions. She really pulled through, real make or break moment for the rest of the year.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

😔

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Giga Gaia posted:

stockpile ethanol and drink it. its the only way

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow!

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Google Butt posted:

Rah and snoo, buy half masks it'll save you money in the long run, seal better and has a built in social distancing radius

I halfheartedly tried to order a half mask today, but all of the ones I found had large exhale ports. I know someone on here would zip tie some cloth over the port, but the way most of these are made it doesn’t seem feasible.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I just can't live without seeing other people's spit holes!!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pump Jockey posted:

I halfheartedly tried to order a half mask today, but all of the ones I found had large exhale ports. I know someone on here would zip tie some cloth over the port, but the way most of these are made it doesn’t seem feasible.

Calosha says exhale ports are no worse than cloth or surgical

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Pump Jockey posted:

I wear a cheap rear end surgical mask over my half mask that just tucks over the north honeywell half mask's exhaust port, and under the filters. Originally I was just using doubled up T-shirt ziptied over the out valve, but was told I needed the exhaust valve "visibly" covered. It's not that bad, just looks like a chin diaper lmao.

Just buy one of the north honeywells with the circular exhaust valve, not one of the 3m ones. Much easier to deal with.

Google Butt has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Oct 12, 2020

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

snoo posted:

I've been hearing a lot of "we gotta do halloween for the KIDS so they can feel NORMAL" :cripes:

And that’s just Halloween — the “do anything and everything necessary to make Christmas magical for the kids” sentiment is completely out of control during a normal year, I don’t even want to know what the January/February fallout from Christmas 2020 is going to be like.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

if you were naughty this year, you get covid for christmas. if you were good you also get covid.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Pump Jockey posted:

Most places you'd go won't know the difference. No one gives a poo poo anymore whether something's safe, they care if it's up to social expectations only. A respirator won't be no matter what, so you'll stand out and people will get away. People either won't know or care about the exhalation valve part of it, or they'll be masked up enough themselves to deal with non-mask wearers. No one even bothers the many people I see with exposed exhalation valves sticking way out on their n95s, so they won't bother you for a half-face one where it's more obscure.

If it's a matter of wanting to be responsible enough not to breathe on anyone, even the maskless chuds around you, at least be assured that the exhalation valve stops a whole lot more droplets than no-mask would. I think there was a study on it.

Personally I do cover mine with a paper towel plus rubber band, just because it does have a design that allows that. Our other one I bought does not, though.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/bEEcaBH.mp4

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm certainly not going to judge if disinfecting your groceries makes you feel safer but social distancing, hand washing and mask usage are still the simplest and most effective tools in your kit.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

snoo posted:

I've been hearing a lot of "we gotta do halloween for the KIDS so they can feel NORMAL" :cripes:

cheeselung is the new normal :smugdon:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

TraderStav posted:

Not taking the bait GB. Of course she does not want to get our family sick, as stated above, it is seeming to her that with the right precautions it is a small risk. We risk getting it by going to Costco, so it stands to reason that if you're in triple the PPE the risk profile is not that much different.

Which goes to my original question, has there been anything that shows that even with all the PPE, the aerosol travelling through ventilation makes it somewhat useless?

I remember reading an article that doctors and nurses in full PPE were getting it in their eyes from virus containing aerosols. Here's one report on something similar

https://www.ajmc.com/view/covid19-may-be-transmitted-through-the-eye-report-finds

quote:

A new report published by JAMA Ophthalmology found preliminary data may suggest severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), might be transmitted through the eye.

Previously, the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) observed that some reports suggest “the virus can cause conjunctivitis and possibly be transmitted by aerosol contact with conjunctiva.” The AAO also reported that there is a low risk of spreading COVID-19 through tears.

Crying kids can low-key spread covid-19 and if you're not wearing googles the aerosol can get in your eyes

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Volcott posted:

I'm certainly not going to judge if disinfecting your groceries makes you feel safer but social distancing, hand washing and mask usage are still the simplest and most effective tools in your kit.

Stop trying to stop me from gargling hand sanitizer.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Maybe the government should just distribute surgical masks for free and make them freely available I dunno just spitballing here

the other week i saw a box of surgical masks attached to a pole near the front door of the bus. nice! free masks for unmasked bus riders

then i thought about how many people probably shoved their hand into that box, touching ten different masks with their covid fingers

lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ah this 28 day thing is doing wonders for my paranoia as I handle about 20 recently used phones per day at work. If Australia was as hosed as the US I'd absolutely refuse to do this job.

Probably will still die though.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Volcott posted:

I've never done any of those other things

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Volcott posted:

how about

all of them

:vince:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

facetoucher cat posted:

I remember reading an article that doctors and nurses in full PPE were getting it in their eyes from virus containing aerosols. Here's one report on something similar

https://www.ajmc.com/view/covid19-may-be-transmitted-through-the-eye-report-finds

Crying kids can low-key spread covid-19 and if you're not wearing googles the aerosol can get in your eyes

How does that work if you're wearing a face shield? Does some of the aerosol disperse in the air outside of the cone of trajectory and come in from the sides? Or the aerosol is in the air and eventually distributes around? I'm picturing the doctor getting sneezed on or whatever without a shield is pretty direct, but imagine the there's an indirect vector as well once it's out there.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

lol

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Rah! posted:

how about

all of them

:vince:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/seanfeucht/status/1315455479037014016?s=19

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

lmao hell yeah

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
If we were serious about keeping teachers safe we’d at very least gear them like they work in a covid ward since they do but the only goal is freeing up parents to go back to work so lol if you’re a teacher and feel any responsibility to your job. Your job is fine with your students getting lifelong disabilities from covid and with you dying. I mean, I think everybody else’s job is cool with that too. Jobs are bad and we shouldn’t have to do them.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

If we were serious about keeping teachers safe we’d at very least gear them like they work in a covid ward since they do but the only goal is freeing up parents to go back to work so lol if you’re a teacher and feel any responsibility to your job. Your job is fine with your students getting lifelong disabilities from covid and with you dying. I mean, I think everybody else’s job is cool with that too. Jobs are bad and we shouldn’t have to do them.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

TraderStav posted:

How does that work if you're wearing a face shield? Does some of the aerosol disperse in the air outside of the cone of trajectory and come in from the sides? Or the aerosol is in the air and eventually distributes around? I'm picturing the doctor getting sneezed on or whatever without a shield is pretty direct, but imagine the there's an indirect vector as well once it's out there.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.03.20167395v1

quote:

Background - There currently is substantial controversy about the role played by SARS-CoV-2 in aerosols in disease transmission, due in part to detections of viral RNA but failures to isolate viable virus from clinically generated aerosols. Methods - Air samples were collected in the room of two COVID-19 patients, one of whom had an active respiratory infection with a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab positive for SARS-CoV-2 by RT-qPCR. By using VIVAS air samplers that operate on a gentle water-vapor condensation principle, material was collected from room air and subjected to RT-qPCR and virus culture. The genomes of the SARS-CoV-2 collected from the air and of virus isolated in cell culture from air sampling and from a NP swab from a newly admitted patient in the room were sequenced. Findings - Viable virus was isolated from air samples collected 2 to 4.8m away from the patients. The genome sequence of the SARS-CoV-2 strain isolated from the material collected by the air samplers was identical to that isolated from the NP swab from the patient with an active infection. Estimates of viable viral concentrations ranged from 6 to 74 TCID50 units/L of air. Interpretation - Patients with respiratory manifestations of COVID-19 produce aerosols in the absence of aerosol-generating procedures that contain viable SARS-CoV-2, and these aerosols may serve as a source of transmission of the virus.

Because the virus is in the air, as they wrote about in this paper, the air will just go around the mask, into your face, and if it carries virus aerosols then...

Also the always popular restaurant air conditioning and bus infections

bus

restaurant

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Hmm. Seems bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/JIUX6n0.mp4