Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

human people i think you mean

I have a similar thing where I can't tell any of the pets they are The Best in comparison to anyone else. So Henry is the Best Puppy in the House, and Bean the budgie is the Best Small Parrot, and Pookie is the Best Large Parrot.

I'd just hate for them to feel judged against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Oh I know that from bitter experience - she's not allowed even LOOK biteley at my walls now. I put her down on the mantelpiece just for the picture, but for the next 20 or so years she's going to be kept well away from them. She literally has form for biting the corners off of walls just for shits n giggles.

When Hannah came to live with me the first thing my parents did is replace all the baseboard and doors he chewed up.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

When Hannah came to live with me the first thing my parents did is replace all the baseboard and doors he chewed up.

Jesus, she has to be actively prevented from eating the windows/doors/ walls/furniture. She 100% does it on purpose to get attention too, which makes it harder. I got her an absolute shitload of wooden kids toys from Germany (so non-toxic) to give her loads of thing to mangle safely, but she just knows she gets a bigger reaction from biting a hole in the wall, or in the kettle or something. She's so smart and so dumb at the same time,

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pookah posted:

I have a similar thing where I can't tell any of the pets they are The Best in comparison to anyone else. So Henry is the Best Puppy in the House, and Bean the budgie is the Best Small Parrot, and Pookie is the Best Large Parrot.

I'd just hate for them to feel judged against each other.

My youngest sister used to do this when she was little. "Please can you take me to the park? You're my favourite sister with blonde hair." I'm the only one of us who is blonde. I'm also fourteen years older than her so it usually worked on me, too.

More recently, I was on a voice conference and Sera decided this was the perfect time to sing to my toes and I uttered the words, "you're the worst, I love you," which was apparently very funny to the other people on the call.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hey, Serra! You've actually lost a few grams! Looking good!

wai...uhhh...nevermind...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RoboRodent posted:

My youngest sister used to do this when she was little. "Please can you take me to the park? You're my favourite sister with blonde hair." I'm the only one of us who is blonde. I'm also fourteen years older than her so it usually worked on me, too.

More recently, I was on a voice conference and Sera decided this was the perfect time to sing to my toes and I uttered the words, "you're the worst, I love you," which was apparently very funny to the other people on the call.

alex has for sure become a regular fixture of my so’s various zooms

to wit:

Captain Log posted:

BORB STATUS RETAINED

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

alex has for sure become a regular fixture of my so’s various zooms

to wit:

BORB STATUS RETAINED

In the down-scaled thumbnail, he looks like a hummingbird.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RoboRodent posted:

Apparently when I was a very small girl I told my mother she was "the worst mummy I EVER HAD!"
And was deeply offended when she rolled around the place laughing.

(Also lol at Cpt. Log's Serra continuing to be a portly pudden of a girl :3:)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

:orb:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well, we figure it's time. this little girl is hopefully going to be alex's new friend/girlfriend. her name will be grace.

:baby:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mediaphage posted:

well, we figure it's time. this little girl is hopefully going to be alex's new friend/girlfriend. her name will be grace.

:baby:

ohmygosh :kimchi:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alex, you nest robber :yikes:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's a woman where I am, outside, with a small parrot on her shoulder and attached to her sweatshirt with a chain on its foot. Do any of you do this to tether your birds when outside with them?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

By the foot? Man, that's like how people leash falcons and hawks. Never seen it on a parrot.

I guess it's not the worst, though I'd worry about a chain being too heavy for a bird.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Tethered outside, sure. By the leg? Eh, maybe not so great; there's a decent chance that the sudden yank on the tether could dislocate the leg. The preferred option is a line attached to a vest.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A chain sounds weird as hell. But if it's trained for it, I don't see the harm.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I've only seen larger birds (cockatoos, greys) attached to perches or other stationary objects by the leg. Smaller birds or birds on the go usually get attached by a vest or harness.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there's a little company here that makes cute little leather setups that strap a birb to your shoulder. a number of people i've seen have trained their birbs (especially tiels) to sit quietly on their shoulder as they walk around outside. it's not something i'm interested in doing because i frankly can't handle the idea of something bad happening to alex. also, i'd be kinda worried about what might happen if the birb got really upset and struggled to fly away. i haven't heard any negative stories about them, really, though.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

By the leg isn't really safe for little birds. Bones are too delicate- I'd want to use a vest for sure.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

there's a little company here that makes cute little leather setups that strap a birb to your shoulder. a number of people i've seen have trained their birbs (especially tiels) to sit quietly on their shoulder as they walk around outside. it's not something i'm interested in doing because i frankly can't handle the idea of something bad happening to alex. also, i'd be kinda worried about what might happen if the birb got really upset and struggled to fly away. i haven't heard any negative stories about them, really, though.

I'm just imagining having Pookie leather-strapped to my shoulder and her getting pissed off about something and her eating my whole ear because she can't reach the thing she hates so she'll just eat whatever she can reach. That would be fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

Wandy the Ancient would sit on my shoulder while I puttered around outside. Two bad things happened that made me stop -

- I was sitting with my room mate and Wandy decided to go explore the grass. She was about a yard away, we didn't think anything of it. Out of loving nowhere, an angry dove dive bombed her. They locked up and started rolling across the grass, but before I had time to respond my best buddy/room mate leapt towards them and open hand slapped the dove across the yard. Wandy was fine, but it happened infinitely faster than I'd ever imagined possible.

Later, we would hear Wandy start screaming bloody murder in the living room and run out to see what was wrong. The rear end in a top hat dove would be mean mugging her from a window.

- I was briefly living at my mother's while between apartments. She had this little super lovely fenced in patio area that went up over my head. I'm 5'11 for what it's worth. Wandy somehow got majorly startled and went upwards, clipped wings and all. She made it over the fence and into the neighbor's enclosure. She was clinging to the brick, looking confused.

That second one ended her outside adventures. poo poo happens and cockatiels are not big enough to handle a large bird.

Edit : Wandy the Ancient right after she unexpectedly came into my life. This was the moment I knew she was going to fit right in -

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 11, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

By the leg isn't really safe for little birds. Bones are too delicate- I'd want to use a vest for sure.

agree, and i think thats what the little company here makes. i’m not gonna judge someone that has trained their bird like this but i can’t bring myself to do it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
For obvious reasons, I am no longer even possibly considering entertaining the notion of bringing my budgies back outside, lol.

STILL can't believe I got Pesto back after that scare in May.

Also I love Wandy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

For obvious reasons, I am no longer even possibly considering entertaining the notion of bringing my budgies back outside, lol.

Also I love Wandy.

most stressful thing ive read on the forums in forever

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also I love Wandy.

Wandy was a very, very good bird.

She was also old enough that she was content to sit in place for hours while I did stuff. Serra would get to basically live outside of her cage IF she wasn't always trying to bumble into things she shouldn't.

Wandy was also very scritch motivated -

My God, this picture was 2008. :stare:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

“yis yis brocco pls”

*shred mode activated*

Captain Log posted:

Wandy was a very, very good bird.

She was also old enough that she was content to sit in place for hours while I did stuff. Serra would get to basically live outside of her cage IF she wasn't always trying to bumble into things she shouldn't.

Wandy was also very scritch motivated -

My God, this picture was 2008. :stare:

ahhhhhh

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

mediaphage posted:

“yis yis brocco pls”

*shred mode activated*

ahhhhhh

Broccoli on broccoli murder. Tragic :negative:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

mediaphage posted:

“yis yis brocco pls”

*shred mode activated*

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so grace has all her feathers now!

she’s third from left (mom and dad are on the left, her three brothers on the right)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh her colours! She's so pretty!

I want to meet all those birds. Linnies are so cute.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

so grace has all her feathers now!

she’s third from left (mom and dad are on the left, her three brothers on the right)

She's gorgeous!

And her brother has such a ROUND face

Nokanoh
Jan 24, 2014
https://bit.ly/3j1FFqu

Parrot playing cards in normal and extinct editions. Fun art!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

She's gorgeous!

i know, he’s clearly fluffed up and trying to nap, and it made me laugh

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Oh her colours! She's so pretty!

I want to meet all those birds. Linnies are so cute.

not to mention, properly raised and socialized, you really won’t meet friendlier chickens. they’re suuuper social and easily won over with a little food.

semi-relatedly:

in the last few months, alex has developed a new behaviour; often he’ll fly out while i’m cooking and land on my shoulder in a fit of fomobirbitis. my so will come get him, and alex now expects this so when the hand approaches he’ll make his dissatisfied grunting sounds and repeatedly headbutt my cheek in an attempt to emotionally manipulate me into keeping him on my shoulder.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 14, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

in the last few months, alex has developed a new behaviour; often he’ll fly out while i’m cooking and land on my shoulder in a fit of fomobirbitis. my so will come get him, and alex now expects this so when the hand approaches he’ll make his dissatisfied grunting sounds and repeatedly headbutt my cheek in an attempt to emotionally manipulate me into keeping him on my shoulder.

I have a similar ongoing problem where Sera really wants to watch me cook and/or do dishes, and Ozzy is very much against me cooking in general but definitely not with Sera so close while I chop veggies, and it turns into constantly trying to coax Sera to watch from the top of the fridge or something while Ozzy yells about it.

I don't have a solution.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I have a similar ongoing problem where Sera really wants to watch me cook and/or do dishes, and Ozzy is very much against me cooking in general but definitely not with Sera so close while I chop veggies, and it turns into constantly trying to coax Sera to watch from the top of the fridge or something while Ozzy yells about it.

I don't have a solution.

that’s unfortunate. have you tried putting a perch and treats up there while you cook?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

that’s unfortunate. have you tried putting a perch and treats up there while you cook?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :shrug:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Pookah posted:

She's gorgeous!

BORB :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another one for the "cute but probably heart attack inducing for bird owners" file.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

man, at least give the bird a proper perch for grip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

More bird enamel pins on kickstarter, linking here because oh my goodness those cockatiels!