Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We also have Smartkeys in a bunch of our doors so we can easily have one key for the whole house and rekey it ourselves if needed when someone loses a key without a lot of hassle. I recognize it's not a good lock, but both our front and back door are oldass doors with big glass panels, so I agree with OSU_Matthew that it's kind of pointless to go high end on a lock when someone who wants to get in is just going to crack out a glass panel in two seconds anyway. If someone walks up and tests the door it's locked, if someone really wants to get in they can just go around the back of the house and they'll have as much time as they need to break the lock (or saw through the hinges or whatever) regardless. Unless your lock is already the weakest point of your security system it doesn't make sense to overdo it?

Honestly our best home security features are 1/ the fact you have to go three flights of stairs to reach the door while across the street is ground level and 2/ everyone is trapped at home so we're all here anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

falz posted:

Was going to suggest just making sure they're all terminated properly, and connect to a 1ge switch. not the cheapest, but i've never had Netgear unmanaged gig switches do me wrong. They probably still come in nice steel cases too. These ones are $30-$40 or so depending on how many ports:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/GS105v5_GS108v4_DS.pdf

Also, if you wall mount it in the garage, point the ports DOWN so they don't get filled with sawdust or whatever is happening in your garage.

Thanks I'll check those out. I was going to get a cheap tester as it appears the previous owner changed up the ethernet jack in the basement so it's actually a phone jack, so I'll need to mess around with that and make sure it's terminated properly.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Are expandable water hoses worth a drat? I need some water hoses for my front and back yard, and I don't mind putting in the work to coil them up the proper way if it'll last longer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^fyi keys wear out over time, you want an original unused copy of a key to do rekeying with, otherwise you run into problems like that

I mean, I’m sure it is relative to high end bolts. From googling it appears the first generation smartkey bolts were more unreliable and had issues that were addressed in second generation. I put mine in several years ago and they’ve been great ever since.

I like it because it’s affordable, relatively decent, easy to install, easy to re-key. I don’t really see any justification in a high end lock when they’re all pretty much the same relative ease to bypass, whether it’s picking or a crowbar or a brick through the window. Better to spend money on a security system to notify you when it’s set to armed, or structural upgrades to deter brute force attacks.

I hear you, it's just that I'd pay for a better lockset to have it not feel and operate like poo poo. They're all security theater when you have like.....windows and sliding glass doors. And vinyl siding with drywall inside.

A kwikset regular locket is easy and cheap to rekey to begin with. And at the point of the "security" added, why even bother? Put on keypad dedabolts if you really have such a huge need to re-key. That seems nuts to me, but if you actually have such a high incidence of that just stop using keys.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Having done it once when I locked myself out, it's amazing how quickly a modern cordless drill can drill out a lock. I was able to do it in under a minute.

Anyone willing to look suspicious picking a lock could drill it out much easier.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Crossposting cause I'm bad at forums:

Bondematt posted:

On a scale of Ah! to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!, where does this fall?

https://imgur.com/a/oGZu33o

Also how long has mounting a ceiling fan this way been against code in Socal?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jesus christ.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
:stare:

That's uh, one way to do it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bioshuffle posted:

Are expandable water hoses worth a drat? I need some water hoses for my front and back yard, and I don't mind putting in the work to coil them up the proper way if it'll last longer.

As I understand it, the main upside is that they don't take up much space in the garbage when you go to use them for a second time and they're completely broken

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

I liked ours very much but they did eventually get leaks and were retired. You would do well do prepare a basket in a shady spot to hold it.

Now we have an all stainless hose and it's heavy and obnoxious and I miss the expandable hoses.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bondematt posted:

Crossposting cause I'm bad at forums:

Hopefully nobody was underneath during what I can only assume was a spectacular failure :stonklol:

You need a ceiling joist brace:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JJLLdyFH0

It just slides up in the hole and twists apart to brace against the joists, then you just mount your new fan to that. Otherwise you wind up with load bearing drywall :grovertoot:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hopefully nobody was underneath during what I can only assume was a spectacular failure :stonklol:

Thankfully it didn't fail in use, I went to replace the old dead fan this evening. Took down the fan and wondered why they boarded over the fan box. Didn't dawn on me until I was unscrewing the mount and got the distinctive feel of a nut turning free on the other side. It actually held up at least 20 years like that!

Just grabbed one of those brace boxes and a drywall saw to make a cleaner hole. Gonna go ahead and assume all the other fans are the same way, since they are all the same model...

I swear this house was built well and then grovered over the next 30 years before we bought it. My current favorite is a bathroom fan that vents directly into the attic. There's even a vent mounted to the roof, someone replaced the fan just didn't want to run the like 3 feet of vent hose.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

If you buy a cheap one it will break almost immediately. If you buy a decent one it should last at least a few years.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I got the black Flex hose branded one from Home Depot years ago and it’s been a good backup that I can store in a bin.

Now just this year the little valve arm broke off so I can’t turn it off anymore without an attachment but whatever.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hello Goons,

My wife would like me to replace the white picket fence that is falling down in our yard with "farm fencing' that looks just like this:

To me, this looks like 4X4 pressure treated posts with the tops cut at an angle and some kind of 6 inch wide "rough" boards for the fencing material. I looked at Lowe's Depot and didn't see anything like those boards. Does anyone know what they are called and where I can find them?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

daslog posted:

Hello Goons,

My wife would like me to replace the white picket fence that is falling down in our yard with "farm fencing' that looks just like this:

To me, this looks like 4X4 pressure treated posts with the tops cut at an angle and some kind of 6 inch wide "rough" boards for the fencing material. I looked at Lowe's Depot and didn't see anything like those boards. Does anyone know what they are called and where I can find them?

I had one put in at my old house, it's literally called an 'x board fence' (x being the number of boards). If you have a dog or something you might also want to consider running a metal wire mesh behind the boards when you do the install. For mine they just used normal pressure treated pine but they also offered cedar and oak, so really whatever boards you could find. I suspect the 'roughness' in that photo comes from age, but I bet you could easily get some unsurfaced oak fence boards from a local lumber mill or farm supply store.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2020

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

Bioshuffle posted:

My dad had one and accidentally left the water on with the nozzle thing closed and went away for a long weekend. The side of the hose ruptured and sprayed water directly at their windows, went through the sealing, and flooded their kitchen and basement. Not exactly a common issue, and was their fault for leaving the water on; but they did regret going cheap on the hose.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

why would both faucets in my master bathroom take a long time to get hot water when the shower in the same room gets hot quickly?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

why would both faucets in my master bathroom take a long time to get hot water when the shower in the same room gets hot quickly?

They're piped differently, perhaps pex home runs and a smaller/lower flow line than the shower. Could also be that you have a tankless water heater and the flow of the faucets isn't quite enough to have it start immediately.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

They're piped differently, perhaps pex home runs and a smaller/lower flow line than the shower. Could also be that you have a tankless water heater and the flow of the faucets isn't quite enough to have it start immediately.

I have a standard water heater out in the garage, and all the pipe is pvc as far as i know. if that's just the nature of things, david suzuki, then whatever, but it's a pain in the butt for shaving

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Bioshuffle posted:

I like mine but it's very true that their lifespan may be limited as others have described. We bought one Aquajoe brand and two...something-or-other from Home Depot. The Aquajoe had a bad leak out of the box and the Home Depot ones are still fine after seven months in the sun being used a couple times a week. We store them coiled nicely in hose pots.

In other news:

HycoCam posted:

If you haven't tried the jar of rubbing alcohol trick--give it a try. You can catch a dozen bugs in seconds and there is never an odor versus spraying them with stuff that is going to get on your walls/ceilings/etc. or trying to gently pick them up with a tissue and flushing them--your fingers still end up smelling and it wastes a lot of flushes...

This worked extremely well! Most of them did in fact just kind of flop into the open jar. Thanks for the tip!

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Sirotan posted:

I need the locksmith goon to come back and remind me what kind of exterior lock set I need to buy, because I feel like there was a brand recommendation but now I can't find it. (I did see what types NOT to buy.) Baldwins seem to be coming up in a lot of my searches.

<snip>

I am not sure if it is too contemporary for my house/door. My door right now only has a knob, no dead bolt, but there is a mortise lock stike plate in the jamb. Initially I thought this meant my door was not original, but I took a closer look at it just now and it feels like the mortise itself has been filled with a patch or epoxy or something ages ago. I plan to get the door off its hinges this weekend and prep it for new paint so I guess I will find out if they did a good or bad job patching this.

anyway plz post your front doors so I can get some inspiration

Baldwin is fine, but they had a bad back order issue a few months ago and I don't order enough from them to know whether it cleared up. Like, three months.

Emtek is the brand I usually recommend, widely available and very few stock issues. Order fulfillment is around 2-3 weeks though at the moment which is unusually long.

If you can't just swap the hardware because you need changes to how the door is prepared, talk to a locksmith and have them order it and install unless you are very handy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tezer posted:

Baldwin is fine, but they had a bad back order issue a few months ago and I don't order enough from them to know whether it cleared up. Like, three months.

Emtek is the brand I usually recommend, widely available and very few stock issues. Order fulfillment is around 2-3 weeks though at the moment which is unusually long.

If you can't just swap the hardware because you need changes to how the door is prepared, talk to a locksmith and have them order it and install unless you are very handy.

Thanks! At least on Build.com, seems like a lot of Baldwin stuff is in stock and Emtek has a status of "made to order", so I might end up with Baldwin. There is currently only a knob there so I'll need to drill a hole for the deadbolt. Luckily I am very handy so the biggest challenge will likely just be deciding what to do with the existing mortise strike plate and associated holes in the jamb. I am almost disappointed that someone filled in the mortise because getting a modern mortise lockset would have been kinda neat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

GPM vs volume in the pipes? If you run the shower at the same time as the faucets do they get hot quicker?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Deviant posted:

Bath line is either better insulated than faucets, or has a higher flow rate than sink to so standing water flushes more quickly and draws from the hot water heater faster?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

Bath line is either better insulated than faucets, or has a higher flow rate than sink to so standing water flushes more quickly and draws from the hot water heater faster?

It's almost definitely a higher flow rate. Could probably get hot water faster/nearly as fast as the shower with the aerator off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

It's almost definitely a higher flow rate. Could probably get hot water faster/nearly as fast as the shower with the aerator off.

The aerator is part of the faucet, correct? Because I have no love for these particular faucets, though I don't know how to disassemble them. They have a single lever with what feels like a set screw at the rear of the lever, and I haven't been able to get underneath the sink yet aside from to verify the lines

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

trying to decide between two fridges. basically my criteria are 33" wide, stainless steel with an ice maker. that limits it to a very small number

there's an LG one and a Samsung one. I know LG is a bit more reliable, however the depth is huge - 33.38 inches. the samsung depth is only 31.8. so about 1.5 inches, which doesn't seem like a ton, but I think it would look kind of awkward as I have a small, narrow kitchen.

my current fridge depth is 31.25, and the wall next to the fridge is 32. obviously it needs a bit of space in back, so my current one just BARELY sticks out which is really nice, because as you can see the width of the usable floor space is about 3.5 feet. the samsung would only go out an extra 1/2 inch, but the LG would go out an additional two inches, which seems like a lot. i think it's going to look pretty bad.

I feel like these deeper refrigerators are common because a lot of people have large L-shaped kitchens where the extra depth isn't going to be really noticeable or get in the way. Or the wall next to the fridge just comes out more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 14, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

get the fridge that matches the wall more closely lest you bang your elbow on it forever

source: the doorknob in my hallway that i only catch belt loops on when i'm ALREADY MAD ABOUT SOMETHING GODDAMMIT

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Thanks! At least on Build.com, seems like a lot of Baldwin stuff is in stock and Emtek has a status of "made to order", so I might end up with Baldwin. There is currently only a knob there so I'll need to drill a hole for the deadbolt. Luckily I am very handy so the biggest challenge will likely just be deciding what to do with the existing mortise strike plate and associated holes in the jamb. I am almost disappointed that someone filled in the mortise because getting a modern mortise lockset would have been kinda neat.

Made to order for Emtek is really just "assembled to order". It's not a big deal, but still longer than "in stock".

The delays we had with Baldwin were all split finish units which aren't ever stocked, so it sounds like you won't have the same issue.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Deviant posted:

get the fridge that matches the wall more closely lest you bang your elbow on it forever

source: the doorknob in my hallway that i only catch belt loops on when i'm ALREADY MAD ABOUT SOMETHING GODDAMMIT

right that's what I'm thinking, 33 inches is an uncommon width so the choices are kind of limited. 36 inches seems to be the standard.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Anyone have recommendations for whole house water filters? I'm considering Aqua Sana and Life Source Water, though the latter is like $6k so lol. If there are other options for filtering and de-mineralization/softener I'd love to hear about them. New house in California on city chlorinated water.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Aquila posted:

Anyone have recommendations for whole house water filters? I'm considering Aqua Sana and Life Source Water, though the latter is like $6k so lol. If there are other options for filtering and de-mineralization/softener I'd love to hear about them. New house in California on city chlorinated water.

Chew your water. :colbert:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Deviant posted:

this is too real for me lmao

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

as a child i thought my father was good at household handyman tasks because he and by extension his father had come from an earlier time, before the pervasiveness of computers, etc.

two hours of drywall repair in a quiet room later i realize that people learn these things by failing at them and that the world is held together with good intentions and duct tape.
i don't know why i'm putting that thought here, but there it is.

the point is that the hole in the wall is fixed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Very true. Speaking of, I'm ripping my bathroom up this weekend. :toot:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I have a lovely old bungalow that isnt fit for human habitation, its used just for storage. However the roof on it is in awful shape, you can see daylight through it and its a home to animals. The plan is to hopefully get some patch work done before winter sets in and I have 2 choices:

1. Throw a house sized tarp over the roof to last the winter, do actual work next spring.

2. Have a guy go up there and put down a roll on roof in Nov (upstate NY, snow etc)

Should I just go with option 1 and have a tarp thrown on it? WIll this last one winter? While I push for a patch job done sooner the roof is in such a state that I think if anyone looks at it they will find more problems that need immediate fixing, requiring more patch work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gaj posted:

I have a lovely old bungalow that isnt fit for human habitation, its used just for storage. However the roof on it is in awful shape, you can see daylight through it and its a home to animals. The plan is to hopefully get some patch work done before winter sets in and I have 2 choices:

1. Throw a house sized tarp over the roof to last the winter, do actual work next spring.

2. Have a guy go up there and put down a roll on roof in Nov (upstate NY, snow etc)

Should I just go with option 1 and have a tarp thrown on it? WIll this last one winter? While I push for a patch job done sooner the roof is in such a state that I think if anyone looks at it they will find more problems that need immediate fixing, requiring more patch work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

It will probably work unless there is some material change or degradation from last winter.

Pictures?