Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I think it's pretty common in Japan especially to order the curry, then specify the spicy level? You can see one of the Canary elves also ordered the keema like Chilchak, but only at a regular spice level.

It's definitely curry on Japanese terms, not Thai/Indian/etc. I know I've gone to a Lao curry place and was able to order anything and then request a spicy level (mild bc I'm very white)

e: lame snipe here's some gorgeous artwork from Kui Ryoko's blog:

look at those colors!! the shading!! drat!

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Dzhay posted:

I don't want to spice-shame the author, but if a Thai green curry is off the chart...

Japanese cuisine is way behind the curve when it comes to insane spiciness, especially compared to southeast asia and india

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dzhay posted:

Not generally, unless you make a specific request. "Spicy" isn't really an independent variable in most of these things anyway.

Some places will ask you for a numerical spice level from 1-10, and some of them have "hidden" spice levels that they'll do but aren't on the menu.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 15, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
curry places i go to have little spicyness icons indicating how spicy each curry is

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Yeah the chart is definitely as viewed through a Japanese lens. "please select your dish, and then your spicy level" is more common in Japan when it comes to serious curry joints. Japanese "curry" in general is quite mild and pretty far divorced from its origins, so when you go to a place that dishes it hot, they usually ask your preference because the domestic clientele typically has a different image of "curry."

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It's back, in pog form!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hoarders: dungeon edition complete with authentic reaction to seeing their stuff cleaned up

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Winged lion doing good work by contributing to the funny faces collection:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From what we know it seems the Winged Lion is technically speaking the truth here. In Chapter 46 Yaado says Derghal went to the surface because of the Winged Lion’s prophecy though, presumably one that goes like “If you go to the surface and tell them to defeat the mad sorcerer then eventually a hero will come”. But we don’t know what the Winged Lion’s true motivation is, and what its plans are after Thistle isn’t the dungeon lord anymore. I kinda want it to actually be completely benevolent as a reversal of expectations.
Chapter 46 is a good reread after this chapter by the way. In classic twisted wish logic Thistle’s wish for everyone to be safe ended up with everyone immortal, stuck in a tiny kingdom.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 15, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we've already seen it get the creepy satan goat eyes, right? henceforth, it's 100% evil

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The creepy Satan goat eyes in direct response to Marcille making an impossibly naďve wish that would require truly unlimited power to pull off, in fact!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
this made me crack up

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what if it's not evil and just wants to help people, but the people it helps inadvertently turn corrupted due to the power it provides

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a really long play by the Winged Lion.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rubellavator posted:

what if it's not evil and just wants to help people, but the people it helps inadvertently turn corrupted due to the power it provides

“THIS TIME it’ll be fine, no way 5 masters in a row go crazy.”

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like how Thistle treats the Lion like an annoying raccoon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I trust the lion.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I trust the lion to be delicious.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I trust the lion to be delicious.

amazing idea for the finale

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, I know that there were theories about it, but isn't Thistle calling Marcille half-elf the first time her lineage was brought up in the manga?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Is this the first confirmation that Marcille isn't a full elf?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

“This is such a good idea!” Applies to so many other panels this chapter...

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Was Thistle's comment the first official confirmation that Marcille is a half-elf? It seemed like a strong possibility given her whole obsession with death and longevity but I don't think it's ever been explicitly said before.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, I know that there were theories about it, but isn't Thistle calling Marcille half-elf the first time her lineage was brought up in the manga?

Squidster posted:

Is this the first confirmation that Marcille isn't a full elf?

I thought that was confirmed in the nightmare chapter where we learn her desire for learning ancient magic comes from her father's comparatively early death.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

copy posted:

I thought that was confirmed in the nightmare chapter where we learn her desire for learning ancient magic comes from her father's comparatively early death.

This is the first time it's been said outright but yeah, between her ears being more rounded than mainland elves and her whole baggage surrounding variable lifespans of other races it was clear she was a half-elf

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like the slow deevolution of thistle’s morality

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is also the curiosity with marcille's parents that both were court magicians if i remember correctly so its interesting that a human ended up with that position in an elven court likely

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jen X posted:

I like the slow deevolution of thistle’s morality

I see it as perhaps the inherently corrupting power of being Dungeon Master ( :haw: ). That people initially start off with benevolent intentions, like Thistle merely wanting to protect his kingdom, transforming over time into keeping the people prisoner. The demons probably act on these basic impulses and just apply the slightest push.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

RatHat posted:

Chapter 46 is a good reread after this chapter by the way. In classic twisted wish logic Thistle’s wish for everyone to be safe ended up with everyone immortal, stuck in a tiny kingdom.

It's worth a re-read just for all the Izutsumi faces

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Yo, all the Halloween costumes at the end are good but I dont know which I like more, the mimic or the mushroom.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Do you have any idea what kind of power multiple DM screens can hold?!?!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

What if the Dungeonmasters turn the "demons" into demons?

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Do you have any idea what kind of power multiple DM screens can hold?!?!

DM-less systems!?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Huzzah! posted:

Yo, all the Halloween costumes at the end are good but I dont know which I like more, the mimic or the mushroom.

Chilchak giving off strong dad vibe energy there.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Chilchak giving off strong dad vibe energy there.

That's cause he's married and has kids

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's nice to have confirmation that Marcille's theory was right, and that Thistle's spellbook contains something that can separate a soul from a body. That's one less thing to worry about when it comes to their plan of saving Farlyn.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm still thinking the demon is the equivalent of those people who stumble onto some article about permaculture or the like and then get really into the idea of living "sustainably" and eating "clean.

Doesn't even have to make him sincerely good. He could just be doing it so he can be smug and condescending towards other demons at demon parties or whatever.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Gonna get super into the tiny dungeon aesthetic

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Do we have confirmation on what happens when a demon escapes from a dungeon? That two-page spread with the goat demon is vivid, but didn't actually happen in the story, did it? Kabru and the elves mention another dungeon ("Utaya"?) where a terrible disaster occurred, but it isn't exactly clear what happened there. After devouring the captain's desires, the goat demon seems to have simply vanished. Given that demons only seem to be interested in desires, it seems odd that they would try to kill everyone once they gain enough power to escape.

I had more questions about the captain's story. How long does he spend as dungeon master? It seems like it was a long time, but after his desires are devoured by the goat, his allies find him. Why would they still be there if it had been a long time? Did they know he was dungeon master while he was dungeon master? Was he hiding from them? It didn't seem like he saw them or mentioned them while he was dungeon master, and yet it doesn't seem like he would treat his own allies as invaders of the dungeon. Why were they even sent to subjugate a dungeon that (originally) had such a weak demon and didn't even have a dungeon master. Something seems kind of off, although Kabru does mention the captain is a terrible storyteller and the captain mentions that Kabru's understanding of the events gets some details wrong.

The people in this thread who predicted Marcille was a half-elf 20 chapters ago are clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The disaster of Utaya - Kabru's hometown - was part of the life cycle of a dungeon. The process got explained by the canaries here:

Utaya got annihilated by the phase 5, where shitloads of powerful monsters poured out of the dungeon and started killing everyone because the dungeon got too fat. The canary chapters also introduce us to the idea that the dungeon sustains itself by feeding on the desires of everyone who enters, not just the dungeon lord, so the more profitable and crowded a dungeon becomes, the more likely that phase 5 scenario is going to happen.

The "demon breaks free, apocalypse" thing hasn't happened in the story that we've been told, but Misurn's story is at least confirmation that when demons get strong enough by consuming enough, they don't need to form contracts or ask permission to devour people, so it's plausible that a demon who gets strong enough and breaks free of a dungeon would pretty much just walk around having an all you can eat buffet on anyone in reach. As for the holes in Misurn's story, as you say, he's a terrible storyteller and Kabru seemed to barely be able to grasp what he was being told. It's also very possible that the elves aren't telling people the whole truth about dungeons, given that they seem very interested in keeping them under wraps and away from others with no discussion or compromise.