Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Omnicrom posted:

The Leomon in V-Tamer also survived. He also evolved all the way to Ultimate, so good for him.

There’s probably rights issues similar to UlforceVeedramon Future Mode but boy I would love to see Regulumon show up in something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Omnicrom posted:

He also evolved all the way to Ultimate, so good for him.
This didn't save Adventure Leomon unfortunately.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Great episode. Jokes aside, it's a killer episode if you're a Leomon fan.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Seeing obscure as gently caress Armor Digimon getting murked gives me life. Especially when I looked up what Bullmon is made from.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Going to be honest. The cargo being TK has been the first time this shows thrown me for a loop but oh BOY that was a moment.

Also "I have two hands, stupid." was great.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ConanThe3rd posted:

Going to be honest. The cargo being TK has been the first time this shows thrown me for a loop but oh BOY that was a moment.

There was a moment where I thought "Leomon has two hands to punch you, dipshit" and then Leomon did just that and said what I was thinking. I bust out laughing at that. :allears:

Also, the fight choreography for this episode was pretty good, and only makes the 'fight' against Nidhoggmon look even worse by comparison.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I want to see the kids back in Tokyo grab all the food/supplies they can before they inevitably go back.

Also, is that the real TK? Since we last saw him a few moments ago on the balcony?

As for Kairi, are they bringing the cat? Is the cat gonna become a digimon or something

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Anyone know who it was that voiced Minotaurumon? He sounded extremely familiar.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Andrew_1985 posted:

I want to see the kids back in Tokyo grab all the food/supplies they can before they inevitably go back.

Have the kids all go back with knives just like Sora.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, is that the real TK? Since we last saw him a few moments ago on the balcony?ing

You gotta admit, Devimon is nothing but efficient. Only a few minutes in the Net and they've already captured the kid and put him in storage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

Agreed on both. The Takeru twist was the first time I didn't expect what happened, me and my group of friends thought that'd definitely be Patamon, and then it was the opposite. And the two hands thing was hilarious because my group of friends was all "going for a fist fight's unfair, he only has one hand!" and then that's exactly how Leomon wins. Hilarious.

Andrew_1985 posted:

As for Kairi, are they bringing the cat? Is the cat gonna become a digimon or something

Taichi's family had a cat in the original Adventure too.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Anyone know who it was that voiced Minotaurumon? He sounded extremely familiar.

Houki Katsuhisa. So we had Sanji vs Jimbei this week.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blaze Dragon posted:

Taichi's family had a cat in the original Adventure too.
The cat beat the poo poo out of Koromon too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Cat is my favorite Digimon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile I managed to guess what was in the box based on episode summaries and dialogue in the show.

The episode summaries explicitly state that Takeru was going to end up in the Digital World by at least next episode, after all he has to or else he can't exactly be carried off by Velgrmon and be rescued by Angemon (who is going to die and turn into an egg and be carted off according to episode summaries, it really is going to be nice when the show stops having to speedrun chunks of Adventure 99 out of obligation and finally decides what IT wants to be). Meanwhile in the episode itself Minotaurmon talks about Taichi and Yamato in terms of not having orders for "the others", implying there are some things he DOES have orders for, and the fact the episode was being extremely coy about what was actually the holy digimon associated cargo made be guess it was Takeru halfway through. Also the show pointedly showed Hikari in the real world segment but not Takeru. Framing and all that.

Relatedly could the show do something with Takeru and Hikari sooner rather than later? The show's pacing has finally started grating at little on me and I'm usually a patient person for anime. Still, the fact it'll be at the minimum episode 23 to finally be rid of Devimon is frustrating, doubly so because I'm not even sure they'll kill him until even later (though hopefully not much later). I really hope they either do something with him that's interesting or ditch him soon, he was not actually a very good villain in 99, he's so far been characterized as nearly the same which makes me sad, and being beholden to him purely out of nostalgia would suck. Basically the sooner we finish chasing the Holy Digimon the better because that'll finally be the show's sink-or-swim moment where they can't lean on "hey remember Digimon Adventure?" anymore, and because I actually do have enough faith in the production to believe it'll come out all the better for it once all the "Have to be there" moments that don't have to be there are finally checked off the list.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Houki Katsuhisa. So we had Sanji vs Jimbei this week.

Thank you! That was going to bug me for a while.

I honestly didn't think Angemon was going to show up next week, but the digiegg for Patamon would show up and blind Velgrmon with magical holy angel light. Angemon showing up, dying, and saying "Hey Takeru I'm your partner Digimon, the species you learned about 20 minutes ago" wouldn't really emotionally resonate the way Adventure 99 did it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This episode was great.

I'm kind of shocked to see Velgemon in this continuity, but I suppose it has some non-Frontier ways to evolve as well?

"I have two hands" was amazing. I wasn't really thinking about what was going to be in the box, but it being Takeru didn't shock me.

I really like Devimon's voice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really curious if they're taking Angemon's power to create the Armor Evolutions. The two that are showing up, if the other is Sagittarimon, are both Hope related. Though amusingly, they made sure to remove the crest from Bullmon's cape.

This was just a fun romp

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I honeslty kinda wonder if the MIA Digidestend Digimon aren't going to be misued somehow into being part of this Devimon's (for lack of a better term) Daemon Corps

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 12, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Folder Continent Report, this time for Entmon. As always, more in the replies.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1315557760629706753

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
One other thing I thought was cool in this episode: neither Taichi nor Yamato had their Digimon evolve past Adult. I'm glad to see that the early Perfects are going to be instant win buttons

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I spent the entire episode weighing the odds on whether Minotaurmon was the Adult version or the Perfect version.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Looks like we got a new ImperialDramon figure coming and it looks rather snazzy, even transforms between Dragon and Fighter modes

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Here's a neat promo video for said figure.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/statu...anuary.24646%2F

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is just never getting released, is it?
https://twitter.com/digimon_games/status/1316740618778017793

EDIT: Happier game news,
https://twitter.com/digimon_games/status/1316770813845135360

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2020

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Oh word, I was planning to pick that up!

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Not surprised at all that the pandemic screwed things up for them. What does surprise me is no more news till spring. That’s at least another six months of radio silence. C’mon man I’ll take even one single new screenshot. Please.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Not surprised at all that the pandemic screwed things up for them. What does surprise me is no more news till spring. That’s at least another six months of radio silence. C’mon man I’ll take even one single new screenshot. Please.

You will have the three screenshots and you will like them

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Ah Digimon Cyber Sleuth. The game Franchise that makes you realize that Digimon as a franchise works far to well with SMT-esque stuff. Which makes me wonder why they didn't go full referential and give us a D-Reaper monster! If your gonna make some eldrtrich inhuman poo poo like the Eaters, why not go all in.

Then again, the D-Reaper is already bad enough its own terms in Digimon Tamers. Any interaction with an Eater would probably create something even worse in the aftermath.

All jokes aside, Digimon is one those weird franchises that refuses to die and very much seems to revel in trying out new story ideas. Also it really loves using the cute mascot characters to distract you from the inventual gut punch.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
This just reminded me that I haven't started the Hacker's Memory side of that bundle yet, maybe I can give that a go and make it last to the next Digimon Survive screenshot release.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I hate that so many designers for Digimon think "mature" means "huge tits", because the franchise could super easily slide into mature themes instead of chasing after the horny nerd demo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

I hate that so many designers for Digimon think "mature" means "huge tits", because the franchise could super easily slide into mature themes instead of chasing after the horny nerd demo.

It has done it several times. Tamers aimed at the same demographic but had a lot that wasn't meant to be understood by them, including a whole manga backstory specifically meant for an adult audience. Savers aimed at a teen demographic rather than children. Every game since Re:Digitize is specifically meant for the adult side of the fanbase.

Ignore Tri and Last Evolution, those are bad examples, but even they had some interesting stuff that went for the right kind of mature instead of just being stupid edgy or pointlesly depressing.

Modern Digimon is fully aware it can and must go for the adult demographic, it isn't just "huge tits" and pure fanservice (which has been part of Digimon since day one either way, though it has definitely gotten worse with time)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There is no "manga backstory" for Tamers, it's all just a short story Konaka did.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have thoughts. Thoughts about Digimon!

Watching the Last Evolution movie made me nostalgic so I went back to see some of the episodes in the original two series. I actually started watching Digimon during 02, in the midst of the BlackWarGreymon arc (I think the first episode I watched was when they're all in that giant house fighting the spider-lady slightly before she creates BWGM.) So 02 is actually more nostalgic to me than the original Adventure series. But since both of those were big ratings draws for Fox at the time, I quickly caught up on both series on weekdays, while watching 02 as it aired new episodes on weekends.

This time I avoided any English dubs and went for episodes of the original Japanese. It's watchable that way, without all the cheesy lines added for humor or to avoid any moments of silence in the localization. The first thing I noticed is how cheap the animation is. The evolutions are all recycled, sure, but more than that every major attack is also reuse animation, just recontextualized against different backgrounds. I work in TV animation which is still a hotbed of reuse animation, made easier now that we can just pull the animation out of a library. But there's also more ability to vary things up now, changing eye directions or head tilts to hide just how much is recycled. Digimon can't do any of that so everything is incredibly repetitive. I'm guessing this was more to do with scheduling than the money not being there. They had a product to sell so there was a rush to market for the animated series, and you can't churn out 52 half hours each season without cutting corners.

Early episodes in both seasons are also real boring slogs. They're necessary for introducing each new evolution, but don't have much rewatch value. The best episodes all come mid-season, where the formula of action happening in the digital world is broken by an intrusion into the real world. As a kid I can remember being fascinated with the episodes involving modern day Japan. It was as alien a place as the digital world, with the character struggling to figure out the hideously complex Tokyo subway system, and traveling from place to place with a degree of freedom a kid in the West would never be allowed. Add their magic monsters to the mix, and it becomes like a undercover superhero show, with the child protagonists the only one who can stand up against a threat the adults are powerless against. I think this is the main appeal of Digimon compared to a show like Pokemon; There are real stakes. And while the Pokemon world is full of adults who are more powerful than the children, but just never happen to be in the right place at the right time, Digimon places its juvenile protagonists as the only ones who can defeat the evil.

The ending of 02 seems to comment on that fact by making the main villain an embittered adult desperately seeking an entrance to the digital world. Oikawa is somewhat wasted potential what with being controlled by a season 1 throwback. It probably would have been more effective if he was a man who had been seduced by the Dark Ocean preying on his despair. Then the series could have contrasted him with the 02 children's run-ins with the Dark Ocean, showing how they resisted it while he was taken in because of his loneliness. Then you'd get the importance of friendship and camaraderie as the final theme. And, uh, maybe his despair could take the form of a monster so there'd still be an enemy to fight. Instead he's just a puppet, and not fully responsible for any of his deeds.

Generally I'd say the best episodes of my partial rewatch were episode 21 of season 1 (yay Hosoda) and episode and episode 38 of season 2 (the Christmas episode, that also does foreshadowing). Good character moments in both of those, which is really what redeems the series in between all the lackluster fight animation.

Oh, and the music in the Japanese version is good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 20 thoughts: I am now really interested in episodes 21 and 22, it was a point of curiosity that the titles to both were completely unconnected to their summaries and now the preview for episode 21 suggests that they're teasing a middle semi-evolution step between Perfect and Ultimate, and I'm way more interested in that than in anything to do with Devimon and Patamon's egg.

More broadly it might also explain structurally why they brought in Perfects super early with no restrictions or anything on them. There's also the somewhat amusing possibility that the entire reason why the sacred digimon are so important is because they and their partners can provide power ups. Weirdly this seems to even be internally consistent with the series so far considering both of Omegamon's appearances. If the mid 20s are for Armed Perfects or whatever and mid-late 30s bring in the Ultimates maybe after episode 50 they'll just give everyone Super Ultimate forms.

Or they'll do something completely different with their 5 cour show. Either way, I'm now much more interested in the upcoming couple of episodes than I was when the summaries dropped. PS: Please kill Devimon soon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was strange that they translated the title as Armed Evolution

Very curious how that plays out.

Also Angemon is the de/buff champion

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

PS: Please kill Devimon soon.

Digimon Thread - DEvimon needs to die already.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Kind of loving how Leomon just off-screened Megadramon. No big deal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's about time other things died around him instead of the other way around :unsmigghh:

Also, so nice to see you again(!), Sora's mom, kinda wish we left you and your flower aranging nonsense back in the old contiunity but here we are, I guess!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 18, 2020

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Episode 20 was really cool. I’m excited to see what’s coming next. Poor Angemon, he looked beat to poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, I just got Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete for the Switch

I know there's some way to bust the farming and XP grind- what was it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Burkion posted:

So, I just got Digimon Cyber Sleuth Complete for the Switch

I know there's some way to bust the farming and XP grind- what was it again?

Put it in sleep mode with the game on when not playing.
Other than that PlatinumNumemon and tactician USBs. You can get the USBs by building 1000 yen projects, saving right before it finishes and save scumming.