Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Declan MacManus posted:

garcia has to actually book fights if he wants to fight on the world stage for real for real so this will be a good litmus test to see if he’s actually anything

it’s gonna be interesting to see the lightweight division turn into a series of eliminator bouts to decide who has the honor of getting mowed down by loma; teofimo is probably the odds on favorite to come out on top but we’ll probably have a better idea of whether or not garcia is the real deal (physically i think he might be the most talented of the bunch)

And it starts this Saturday with Lomachenko/Lopez
:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

So hype for Loma/lopez

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m still really hype for Loma but after watching those ESPN Blood Sweat and Tears videos I feel like Loma is going to destroy Lopez, mostly because Lopez’s father seems like an incredible dumbass rear end in a top hat

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jump King posted:

I’m still really hype for Loma but after watching those ESPN Blood Sweat and Tears videos I feel like Loma is going to destroy Lopez, mostly because Lopez’s father seems like an incredible dumbass rear end in a top hat

i mean loma will probably destroy lopez because loma’s been the p4p #1 since... forever and his resume reads like the bad guy in a boxing anime whereas lopez (no disrespect to tatil, nakatani, or commey here) hasn’t faced anyone in the same ballpark

i think it’ll be close for a few rounds but ultimately loma just pulls away and never lets him back in

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eh, I think if you look at their recent lightweight accomplishments specifically, beating Commey and Nakatani is about on the level of beating Campbell and Crolla, but yes Loma has obviously been on the p4p watch since he turned pro. I’ve watched a lot of Lopez though and he’s simply a very talented fighter who had just such a natural understanding of how to fight that I think this is a possible win for him if he approaches it right. His fathers attitude makes me really doubt they’ll approach it right.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

What's a reasonable estimate for the fight to start? With a 10 PM start time and 2 fights on the undercard would 11:30-12:00 be a good guess?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

College Rockout posted:

What's a reasonable estimate for the fight to start? With a 10 PM start time and 2 fights on the undercard would 11:30-12:00 be a good guess?

Yeah that’s probably safe.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jump King posted:

Eh, I think if you look at their recent lightweight accomplishments specifically, beating Commey and Nakatani is about on the level of beating Campbell and Crolla, but yes Loma has obviously been on the p4p watch since he turned pro. I’ve watched a lot of Lopez though and he’s simply a very talented fighter who had just such a natural understanding of how to fight that I think this is a possible win for him if he approaches it right. His fathers attitude makes me really doubt they’ll approach it right.

don’t get me wrong, i think lopez is great and no doubt belongs here (they didn’t just gift him the ibf belt after all), i just think lomachenko is one of the best to ever do it and there’s nothing that’s gonna prepare you to fight someone like that (i will look real dumb when lopez knocks him out)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I don't think Lomachenko is going to make Lopez look like a total bobo but I can't escape the Felix Trinidad-Fernando Vargas parallels

Edit: But at the same time I thought Mayweather-Maidana II was going to end up like Roy Jones - Antonio Tarver II so maybe don't listen to me.
Maybe Mayweather-Canelo? I'm just naming tenuously connected fights now?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 16, 2020

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My prediction is it looks a lot like Mayweather-Canelo. Seems like this fight has all the same dynamics where Lopez is young, powerful, and still very green.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:siren: There's a new weight division :siren:

The WBC are allegedly going to create a division at 224lbs and drop Cruiserweight to 190

This is very stupid

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jump King posted:

:siren: There's a new weight division :siren:

The WBC are allegedly going to create a division at 224lbs and drop Cruiserweight to 190

This is very stupid

it is! especially considering that logically you’d just make it heavyweight and then bump the 224+ to super heavyweight but that’s not good branding

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Where is the Loma v Lomez discussion thread?

Am I blind?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

BrotherJayne posted:

Where is the Loma v Lomez discussion thread?

Am I blind?

I think we talk about it here

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

talk about it here, some people are hanging out in a discord voice call if you want to join

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jump King posted:

talk about it here, some people are hanging out in a discord voice call if you want to join

drat wish I was sober

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

BrotherJayne posted:

drat wish I was sober

It's 10x cooler if you're drunk.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Berlanga is loving insane

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
15 for 15 cans squashed

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The SituAsian posted:

It's 10x cooler if you're drunk.

there is nothing I enjoy more than being high as balls watchin' a boxer push some poo poo in with pink gloves

Lord have mercy xD

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

christ, 1st round again

BrotherJayne posted:

drat wish I was sober

its ok nobody else is

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah the one guy was out of his league but pink gloves and theme is dope and that was a nasty cut to open in 90 fucken seconds

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah the one guy was out of his league but pink gloves and theme is dope and that was a nasty cut to open in 90 fucken seconds

Great stoppage too

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Berlanga, 🥵

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Do any of you guys like to yell "LOMAAAA" in a boston accent how they used to yell "NOMAAAAAR?"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No way these guys go ten rounds

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nice to see a good looking card on "free" tv. Saucedo just keeps using the Hajime no Ippo strategy of blocking punches with his face.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do any of you guys like to yell "LOMAAAA" in a boston accent how they used to yell "NOMAAAAAR?"

All the time. You name a time. Yss

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GalacticAcid posted:

No way these guys go ten rounds

They’d both die

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ready for the robot

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think they might go 10 boys

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jermaine Taylor in that graphic made me smirk, then I remembered Jermaine Taylor.

What happened with the whole shooting his cousin thing?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Slipped and fell? That looked a lil like a down. Either Barboza's punches have no oomph behind them or Saucedo is cheating by padding the inside of his face with concrete. :stare: He just keeps taking shots.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Saucedo looks good when he gets in close, he was getting better angles and tiring barboza out inside in 6. But he’s probably down 5-1 or 4-2

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I like this instant replay rule. That was a knockdown and now scored as such.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

ccubed posted:

x2. That was nice to see

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ccubed posted:

Yeah. And I think Barboza is trying to bait out rabbit punches. He’s worn out and doesn’t look like he did in the first 5

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ccubed posted:

They got that right for sure, but I see this going horribly wrong pretty soon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BrotherJayne posted:

Great stoppage too

Yeah at first I was like drat that was quick but he was done. Any more time and the poor dude is just forgetting cousins

Jiro posted:

Nice to see a good looking card on "free" tv. Saucedo just keeps using the Hajime no Ippo strategy of blocking punches with his face.

He could have turned this around after 6-7 but he really likes being punched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat salute to both of them, shocked this went the distance