Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vier posted:

Ha sorry to confirm I need the handle/crank that sits on that bolt, not the bolt itself!

Hit up the 3d printing thread and ask for a favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Rutibex posted:

You've got a woodshop, use it!

Haha I thought of that but there is just not enough clearance between the bolt and the rest of the machine, it stops about 1cm short of the bed.

If I could get some type of extender to get the clearance above the bed then I would give it a go making the rest.

It looks to be called a Long Threaded Spindle, I will look into the 3d printing idea.

Vier fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 20, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
What are you trying to do? Replace a broken handle (16 in the diagram)? The D slot on a 3d printed part will wear out quick (speaking from experience).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

So a while ago, before I had any idea what I was doing, I inherited a 12" Ryobi drill press. I used it a little, but it's mostly sat on the floor. Now that I'm doing more woodworking, I want to get it back up and running smoothly.

It runs, but the handle for the speed adjustment is broken off:

While it's running, I can turn the "speed adjust hub" and adjust the speed between about 1300 RPM and 2800 RPM, but the manual recommends dropping the speed down to 500 for a 1 5/8" hole in wood. (Side note: is it really not recommended to use Forstner bits bigger than that?) I'm not sure I could get it that low with a handle, but I'm willing to try it.

I guess my question is: how can I get the snapped off threaded part of the handle out? I can probably fashion a handle with a bolt or threaded rod and a shop-made knob. Alternatively, how could I drill and tap another hole in the hub there so I could put a handle in somewhere else? I know basically nothing about metalworking, but I have woodworking tools.

Also, what sort of other maintenance should I do on a drill press that's been sitting mostly idle for probably about a decade? What do I need to lubricate, and with what lubricants?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

JEEVES420 posted:

What are you trying to do? Replace a broken handle (16 in the diagram)? The D slot on a 3d printed part will wear out quick (speaking from experience).

This is true, but sometimes it will wear slowly enough that printing ten of them still solves the problem.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can I get a recommendation for safety glasses (for weed whacking and such) that can be worn over glasses? I guess I can just resort to wearing contacts, but I'd love a pair that can be slipped over my glasses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have these, which work for one of my pairs of glasses but not the other. It depends on the size of the lenses and how thick the over-the-ear bits are, I think.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bioshuffle posted:

Can I get a recommendation for safety glasses (for weed whacking and such) that can be worn over glasses? I guess I can just resort to wearing contacts, but I'd love a pair that can be slipped over my glasses.

I've used these which are comfortable:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RSM598/
but I recently switched to the :10bux: dewalt goggles which are cheaper and seem to work fine with my glasses:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A12J3GI/

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Speaking of ppe, I love my 3m earmuffs for hearing pro, but if I wear safety glasses with them the arms get pressed into my head and the ear cups get pushed out, letting in more noise. I don't want to choose between my ears and eyes (I'd choose eyes), so are there eye pro that can be worn with muffs comfortably? Are ear plugs the only solution?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

I've been using one of those Covid-19 face shields.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

NomNomNom posted:

Speaking of ppe, I love my 3m earmuffs for hearing pro, but if I wear safety glasses with them the arms get pressed into my head and the ear cups get pushed out, letting in more noise. I don't want to choose between my ears and eyes (I'd choose eyes), so are there eye pro that can be worn with muffs comfortably? Are ear plugs the only solution?

Use safety goggles that use an elastic strap, instead of ones with rigid over-ear arms.

...now I'm wondering if I should get a set of sport glasses with elastic straps. They'd probably fit into my goggles better than regular glasses would.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Bioshuffle posted:

Seconding safety goggles instead of glasses. The elastic strap is more comfortable than putting ear pieces ontop of your glasses' ear pieces, and they seal all the way around your eyes which keeps little bits of hay and grass from flying into your eyeballs while mowing, weed wacking, leaf blowing, etc.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Rutibex posted:

I've been using one of those Covid-19 face shields.

Great suggestion! This worked perfect for what I needed to do (spray round up weed killer), but I do not believe the face shields are rated for impact resistance at all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

Great suggestion! This worked perfect for what I needed to do (spray round up weed killer), but I do not believe the face shields are rated for impact resistance at all.

Yeah, its stops woodchips and sawdust from getting into my face. But I wouldn't trust it for anything bigger than a woodchip as far as impact resistance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

3M makes Z87-rated face shields, but they're still meant to be worn with Z87 safety glasses as well.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

NomNomNom posted:

One solution is also to get gel seals for the ear defenders - MSA has a pack of gel seals for their ones that are much more comfortable than the standard ones and seal better around glasses.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Re: Earpro - Mighty Plugs are absolutely fantastic. I hate foam earplugs because one ear never quite seals right and they can be uncomfortable, but mighty plugs are beeswax and fiber, so you just roll it around your fingers to warm it up, and you get a custom fit seal every time. Earwax comes off relatively well, so I tend to just re-use them until they get kinda gross.

I especially love them for cutting out wind and road noise on the motorcycle

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I hate foam earplugs because one ear never quite seals right and they can be uncomfortable, but mighty plugs are beeswax and fiber, so you just roll it around your fingers to warm it up, and you get a custom fit seal every time.

This is how you're suppoed to put in foam earplugs too. You should also be doing it with your alternate hand and lifting the top of your ear to make sure you open the ear canal to get them seated properly.

Most people simply don't know how to use foam ear plugs.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/content/earplug.html

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

OSU_Matthew posted:

Re: Earpro - Mighty Plugs are absolutely fantastic. I hate foam earplugs because one ear never quite seals right and they can be uncomfortable, but mighty plugs are beeswax and fiber, so you just roll it around your fingers to warm it up, and you get a custom fit seal every time. Earwax comes off relatively well, so I tend to just re-use them until they get kinda gross.

I especially love them for cutting out wind and road noise on the motorcycle

Not doubting their efficacy, but that website is something for sure

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NomNomNom posted:

Vindolanda posted:

One solution is also to get gel seals for the ear defenders - MSA has a pack of gel seals for their ones that are much more comfortable than the standard ones and seal better around glasses.

Also, they sell gel seals specifically with channels for eyepro.

https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does anyone know what this from the description means:

I have never heard the phrase ‘grooving out’ about drawers, and the part about sticking when reglued doesn’t help much. Every trade has its own fun vocabulary I guess.

If you're repairing a drawer and have it all pulled apart because the glue joints failed, you might need something to rip the old crufty bits out of the parts, like the groove the drawer bottom sits in.

Unless it's hide glue, glue won't stick to glue so you gotta get the old out before putting new in.

That's how I read the description anyhow!

phantum
Jan 3, 2014

I am not crazy, just a little strange at times...

MrPete posted:

If you're repairing a drawer and have it all pulled apart because the glue joints failed, you might need something to rip the old crufty bits out of the parts, like the groove the drawer bottom sits in.

Unless it's hide glue, glue won't stick to glue so you gotta get the old out before putting new in.

That's how I read the description anyhow!

Exactly this! Same with paint, or staining (Looking at you old weathered decks) Always strip/sand down before applying fresh glue/ paint. You can get paints/glues that say you don't need to, but they never seem to hold up too well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

This is how you're suppoed to put in foam earplugs too. You should also be doing it with your alternate hand and lifting the top of your ear to make sure you open the ear canal to get them seated properly.

Most people simply don't know how to use foam ear plugs.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/content/earplug.html

Right, I just have weird ears (I can wiggle them for a start), and one ear consistently just works loose any plugs that gets put on there. Plus I don’t find foam plugs are typically very comfortable for me. The mighty plugs are just fantastic for motorcycling and anything else I can’t throw my muffs on, and the custom fit is quite comfortable for extended periods of time.

For concerts and playing with an amp, I also really like Earasers. They block out a lot of the noise, but allow higher fidelity audio through

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The 10" Ryobi sliding compound miter saw is on sale again for $140. Great tool for the money.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-15-Amp-10-in-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-TSS103/306939218

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm trying to ignore that Saw.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Dear nerds, tomorrow begins the black Friday event for lie nielsen. Get hyped.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/veritas-seconds-event

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I'm trying to ignore that Saw.

May I also suggest you ignore this cool miter saw stand on sale for $129
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Universal-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

I just ordered it so I'm not doing Gollum squats on the ground when I cut stuff

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Dear nerds, tomorrow begins the black Friday event for lie nielsen. Get hyped.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/veritas-seconds-event

Thanks, brother!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

canyoneer posted:

May I also suggest you ignore this cool miter saw stand on sale for $129
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Universal-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-with-Mounting-Braces-AC9946/206992161

I just ordered it so I'm not doing Gollum squats on the ground when I cut stuff
Seconding this recommendation. Great stand, and that's a really solid price.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a stand which is nice because as I age hovering over a floor level saw sucks

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are there electric log splitters and are they decent? I’ve only ever used a gasoline one and it is awesome, but this would be up in the sticks and I don’t want to futz with maintaining an infrequently used small engine up there.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I think you are obligated to watch several hours of hypnotic log splitting videos on YouTube and then weld together a frankenmachine that will split your hand in half if you're a fraction of a second too slow.

Sorry, but that's the rule.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are there electric log splitters and are they decent? I’ve only ever used a gasoline one and it is awesome, but this would be up in the sticks and I don’t want to futz with maintaining an infrequently used small engine up there.

I looked into these in the spring and they seemed to have mixed reviews so I passed and just used my axe for the summer. If you find a decent one, post it up!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there a reason that manually operated hydraulic log splitters are out of the question? They seem very robust and unbreakable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the only manually operated backwoods log splitter you need

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, but that looks like more of a felling axe which has very clearly not been used in many years

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SpartanIvy posted:

Is there a reason that manually operated hydraulic log splitters are out of the question? They seem very robust and unbreakable.

I didn't know those existed! Like a portapower or car jack with a wedge on the end or something?

E: I googled-those look slow as hell. Maybe useful to crack something in half so you can whack off chunks with a maul?

Rutibex posted:

Don't doxx me who keeps posting pictures of me on the internet!!! Alcohol powered is my favorite kind of wood splitter, for sure.

I currently do it with a maul and stick to straight grain oak/beech/ash and it's easy enough. Some hickory came down in some recent storms that I'd like to use, but it seems to split about as well as live oak, which is to say the maul just bounces off. Doesn't help that I like nice long 20" logs for the fireplace.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 28, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I use a Fiskars super splitting axe. It's awesome and splits red oak with ease. Manual hydraulics are laughably slow. Electrics work ok, but have laughably low duty cycles. Either use a gas-powered or bring a maul, wedges, and an appetite for manual labor. A single piece of firewood can keep you warm all winter long... (Anyone want to fill in the old adage?)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
My dad has an electric log splitter, it works great. You just put the log on it, pull the handle, and a few seconds later it splits the log. Not the fastest thing ever but it certainly does the job.

I have no idea what the exact model is but it works just like this one: https://youtu.be/7cuHg8QiySM

You usually don’t need to wait for it to push all the way through, just the first split is often enough to just open the rest easily with your hands as you take it off.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I didn't know those existed! Like a portapower or car jack with a wedge on the end or something?
Yeah they're basically a bottle jack that pushes a log into a wedge and crack it in two. They're not particularly speedy, but they are very powerful and I imagine are as easy to maintain as a bottle jack.

Here's a random youtube of a guy using one from Harbor Freight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsY90e7tTbA