Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly the timeline and memory of the society is really weird in general. Flashbacks show the introductions of quirks looking very similar to irl modern day, and yet so does the show's modern day. There have been nine one for all users, so even if we assume each only works for an average of ten years (realistically it's probably longer) then that's almost 100 years since quirks began at least. Did society barely progress at all in those 100 years?
That's explicitly said early on.

When quirks emerged society had a near x-men style apocalypse that nearly brought everything to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Honestly the timeline and memory of the society is really weird in general. Flashbacks show the introductions of quirks looking very similar to irl modern day, and yet so does the show's modern day. There have been nine one for all users, so even if we assume each only works for an average of ten years (realistically it's probably longer) then that's almost 100 years since quirks began at least. Did society barely progress at all in those 100 years?

i think there's a one-off line that said technological development stagnated because quirks just started filling in the gaps for everything

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I sincerely doubt the OFA users lived long lives with the exception of All Might.

Waging constant war against AFO at the peak of his power (both personal and organization-wise) can not have been good for your longevity.

Also yes, society (technology) hasn't really progressed because of quirks. Technology is developed around quirks, so scientific progress in other areas has been stymied, I think it's even stated in the early chapters. Unless you're talking about like, the social aspects of the MHA world.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Even then, the MHA has holograms and poo poo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I forgot about that line about stagnation, my bad. I do find it odd how similar their society is to ours despite presumably being several decades in the future.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised the author didn't instead go for something like "quirks showed up in the late 1800s" to show off some cool historical settings with quirk users.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Even then, the MHA has holograms and poo poo.

Yeah but so do we lol

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Honestly I forgot about that line about stagnation, my bad. I do find it odd how similar their society is to ours despite presumably being several decades in the future.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised the author didn't instead go for something like "quirks showed up in the late 1800s" to show off some cool historical settings with quirk users.

It may still come up yet, in the backstory scientists were lamenting that if Quirks hadn't appeared, humanity would already be colonizing the galaxy

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Most technological advancements were dedicated to understanding and controlling quirks. That's why regular people have normal cars and phones while heroes have access to jetpacks and robo-suits and villains are creating bio-weapons through genetic quirk research.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If nothing else, quirks appearing would dramatically slow down medical science in particular, because instead of being able to apply a generally universal set of rules to treating humans you'd suddenly have to deal with Mr. Glue For Blood or Half Hippo/Half Bird or Guy Who Explodes When Touched Too Hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Dr. Stone. It just split the cast again, leaving a lot of characters behind and out of the main action going for the next few arcs.

This reminds me of a few years back in One Piece where like half the Straw Hats just weren't around for like three years.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kanos posted:

If nothing else, quirks appearing would dramatically slow down medical science in particular, because instead of being able to apply a generally universal set of rules to treating humans you'd suddenly have to deal with Mr. Glue For Blood or Half Hippo/Half Bird or Guy Who Explodes When Touched Too Hard.

Guy Who's Quirk Is Literally Just "Insulin Does Not Work".

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Funky Valentine posted:

Guy Who's Quirk Is Literally Just "Insulin Does Not Work".

Given how genetic birth defects already have an impact on birth rates irl, there must have been some absolutely horrific poo poo going on when quirks started to first appear.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

i think there's a one-off line that said technological development stagnated because quirks just started filling in the gaps for everything

This explanation never made much sense to me because you don't ever see any quirk use outside Hero stuff.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

socialsecurity posted:

This explanation never made much sense to me because you don't ever see any quirk use outside Hero stuff.

Generally that's because non-hero quirks aren't nearly as flashy. The detective friend of All Might uses his quirk all the time for his job, as he's just a living lie detector. I'm assuming the various animal people in the police also use their increased physical capabilities to be more effective at their jobs. Ochako could've gotten a license to use her quirk to help her family with their construction business but was encouraged to follow her dream of being a hero by her good parents.

It's not that quirks filled in gaps though, it's they caused a literal century of torment or something so nobody had the ability to actually improve technology, instead they were scrambling to solve the problem of quirks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Given how genetic birth defects already have an impact on birth rates irl, there must have been some absolutely horrific poo poo going on when quirks started to first appear.

I am reminded of that Ultimate X-Men story with the kid whose power was that his body naturally secreted a gas that dissolved all organic matter within a one-kilometre radius except for himself.

Wolverine (the only one who could get close to him because of his healing factor) killed him because it couldn't become public knowledge that there are mutants with powers like that, if it got out they would all get put into camps.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I got the impression that it was more about quirk-related crime and AFO than anything about technological/health impact what stopped society for a couple of centuries(???)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

lunar detritus posted:

I got the impression that it was more about quirk-related crime and AFO than anything about technological/health impact what stopped society for a couple of centuries(???)

AFO only held power in Japan, so AFO's reign wouldn't have stopped technology advancing in, say, America. The only global phenomenon we're aware of is the emergence of quirks.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Machia is like Bowser or that one guy off of Kill La Kill where their size is constantly inconsistent.

Not inconsistent - he's consistently been growing bigger throughout the series. The question is, can he stop growing or is his quirk just constant growth until he dies? I could definitely see AFO "saving" someone from that quirk and then weaponising it by gifting it to a faithful, quirkless disciple.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

jassa posted:

Not inconsistent - he's consistently been growing bigger throughout the series. The question is, can he stop growing or is his quirk just constant growth until he dies? I could definitely see AFO "saving" someone from that quirk and then weaponising it by gifting it to a faithful, quirkless disciple.

He's also shrunk, I think Gigantomachia's basic quirk is literally just the ability to grow as huge as necessary, and that quirk led to a robust body that allows him to host multiple other quirks physically, if at the cost of some amount of mental stability/capability.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mikl posted:

I am reminded of that Ultimate X-Men story with the kid whose power was that his body naturally secreted a gas that dissolved all organic matter within a one-kilometre radius except for himself.

Wolverine (the only one who could get close to him because of his healing factor) killed him because it couldn't become public knowledge that there are mutants with powers like that, if it got out they would all get put into camps.

Here's the story for anyone interested in reading it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/I71V6

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Kanos posted:

mha spinoff but it's a medical drama :pray:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rodney mullenkamp posted:

mha spinoff but it's a medical drama :pray:

basically dr mcninja

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's also shrunk, I think Gigantomachia's basic quirk is literally just the ability to grow as huge as necessary, and that quirk led to a robust body that allows him to host multiple other quirks physically, if at the cost of some amount of mental stability/capability.

When did he shrink?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jassa posted:

When did he shrink?

It was his first date in a while and she's just so pretty. He was kinda nervous.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Minimachia

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Re: Vigilantes- has there been any official color art of Queen Pop Step released?

Her wiki page has colors for civvie and vigilante outfits
Plus the usual information about hair and eye color (pink and blue respectively, although she has pink contacts)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

jassa posted:

When did he shrink?

He seemed smaller at the start of this current fight compared to where he ended up at the end of MvA.

Also I thought they mentioned that he got super huge during the off-screen fight with Gran Torino.

It also just feels weird to have his growth be endless, instead of triggered in opposition of force, the latter seems far more superhero comics to me. He still can’t control the growth but can over time shrink back down

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
yeah i dont think its implied at all that machia is "stuck" at this size. it wouldn't make a ton of sense, imo, that he's just NEVER had to get terribly big before

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Her wiki page has colors for civvie and vigilante outfits
Plus the usual information about hair and eye color (pink and blue respectively, although she has pink contacts)

Oh I was speaking about her recent bout as a pawn of the Queen Bee parasite. Thanks though!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

IIRC after Machia saved the League theres a bit where someone (maybe the doctor) mentions his quirk lets him enlarge based on his morale/motivation. It was kind of vague if they were referring to him but I'm certain now that they had to have been.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here's the story for anyone interested in reading it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/I71V6

That was a cool story.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh I was speaking about her recent bout as a pawn of the Queen Bee parasite. Thanks though!

I've been picturing her colors as similar to that of Anti-Aqua from Kingdom Hearts

Albeit with her hair still being pink

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vinylshadow posted:

I've been picturing her colors as similar to that of Anti-Aqua from Kingdom Hearts

Albeit with her hair still being pink

oh no, they're getting norted

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

oh no, they're getting norted

I mean, we joke, but given that AfO could bodyjack Tomura and the OfA spirits can control Deku's body...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm already half All For One!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm already half All For One!

All for some, one for others?

Not actually far from Shiggy I suppose.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 23, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

Who could this mysterious masked Tiger Bunny be!?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmbo this is what I'm here for

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol this chapter rules

"Life's no fun without a little stupid" indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rappa was knuckleduster's spiritual mentor and i am loving every second of this more than the last