Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If Rikke and Leo were born immediately after the Heroes in 584 they'd both be at most 21 when A Little Hatred kicks off in 605. Rikke would have been six when Shivers went West for Far Country. There's plenty of room to retcon his relationship with Rikke. Maybe he worked for Calder in Uffrith, maybe Calder sent him West on one last job, maybe he worked for Calder off and on, etc.

Finree says Leo was conceived during the Battle of Osrung and she certainly doesn't mention already having kids during her POV chapters. He also, presumably, is around the same age as Rikke since they grew up together.

Savine, being conceived during The Last Argument of Kings (577) is 28. Orso is somewhere between 27 and 24 depending on the birth order. When Jezal and Terez roll through Sipani in Best Served Cold (579), Terez is said to be pregnant with her third child.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

So i'm about 2/3 ish through BtwH now Glotka just leaving the city surprised me. Hes spent the entire book here protecting it so to suddenly just dip was an interesting choice. I hope the chief native dude somehow comes out ok. Logically hes boned but narratively it would be weird if he doesnt at least get mentioned again.

Also, the prince is dead, gently caress the prince. I hope west, pike and Cathil hang out with the cool club for while still. The revelation that cathil and pike were lying about their relationship was a good one as well.

Ferro continues to own. Lots of suggestions that the first mages little fellowship is for a bad reason and hes a nega-gandalf.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Lmao i can appreciate anyone who lets their heros be poo poo at sex

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

You may want to pick up Sharp Ends, which features short stories that start before the first trilogy and end after the the standalones. If you don't read ahead you'll get some extra insights without spoilers. Khadia's story after Dagoska falls is included in the short story Hell.

For those who are all caught up, I just noticed that Salem Rews gets the chronologically first line of the universe in Sharp Ends. He's clearly the main character and everything else is just window dressing.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You may want to pick up Sharp Ends, which features short stories that start before the first trilogy and end after the the standalones. If you don't read ahead you'll get some extra insights without spoilers. Khadia's story after Dagoska falls is included in the short story Hell.

For those who are all caught up, I just noticed that Salem Rews gets the chronologically first line of the universe in Sharp Ends. He's clearly the main character and everything else is just window dressing.

Currently i have gardens of the moon which i picked up at the same time as BtwH and LAoK as my planned read after this trilogy so we'll see how that goes :haw:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I don’t think he gained the name “Steepfield” until after the events of the original trilogy. He held a shield at the Fenris/Logan duel, and since that was 30 years ago and he’s maybe in his 50s now he had to be young. In The Heroes he obviously wasn’t much of a name because one of the themes is “most of the old heroes are dead” and it would be surprising if someone like Craw wouldn’t know him, and he wouldn’t have been mentioned or rounded up by Black Dow to either fight or be killed.

My theory is that he gained his “Steepfield” name during the battle of the Heroes (the final charge by the Union, on a real steep hill). The fun theory would be that he was the one who killed Whirrun of Bly (putting a spear through his back while he was fighting Gorst is pretty in character for him) but I don’t think that’s actually what happened, since they would have been on the same team and I don’t think he’d get much credibility for bragging about it. I do think he served under Cairm Ironhead though, and probably betrayed and murdered him.

There's a line in TTWP where somebody says "Steepfield? *He* was the guy who held the pass in the High Places?" or something like that - I figured that was his naming battle, and it was something that happened totally offscreen since I can't recall any battles it would fit with.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Notahippie posted:

There's a line in TTWP where somebody says "Steepfield? *He* was the guy who held the pass in the High Places?" or something like that - I figured that was his naming battle, and it was something that happened totally offscreen since I can't recall any battles it would fit with.

I do not remember that, anyone who just finished the book want to post that line?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Finished book 2 and about to start book 3. I've accidentally seen a Jezal spoiler in the blurb of another book. I have a feeling, I don't know where it comes from that Ferro is going to end up in a fight with Bethod in which either Ferro or both of them will die. Theres been too many "vengence is pointless" explicit callouts for someone not to lose someone they care about in the pursuit of vengence. If I was forced to guess I'd say Glotka dies doing something selfless but I have no idea where his plot is gonna go really.

eta: It seems so telegraphed that Quai is gonna betray Bayaz that I'm starting to suspect some kind of double-bluff instead at this point.

Pocky In My Pocket fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 14, 2020

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Finished book 2 and about to start book 3. I've accidentally seen a Jezal spoiler in the blurb of another book. I have a feeling, I don't know where it comes from that Ferro is going to end up in a fight with Bethod in which either Ferro or both of them will die. Theres been too many "vengence is pointless" explicit callouts for someone not to lose someone they care about in the pursuit of vengence. If I was forced to guess I'd say Glotka dies doing something selfless but I have no idea where his plot is gonna go really.

eta: It seems so telegraphed that Quai is gonna betray Bayaz that I'm starting to suspect some kind of double-bluff instead at this point.

I love this. It's like a Let's Play for a novel, but more entertaining :allears:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I do not remember that, anyone who just finished the book want to post that line?

It's when Leo and Stour are planning the rebellion/invasion.

quote:

But all Stour gave Leo was another dose of the side-eye. “Once you’ve heard one song of victory you’ve heard ’em all. Swap the names out and it’s the same spears shaken and horns blown and bodies carpeting the glen and all that poo poo. You see my friend Clover down there?” And he pointed out that balding bastard, the one who’d had the girl beside him with all the belts. “That fat fool used to be Jonas Steepfield.”

“Steepfield?” Leo frowned. “The one who held the pass at Grey Breaks? The one who killed Cairm Ironhead?”

“Aye. That one. He had all the glory a man could ask for. Now look at the fucker.”

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Any other reference to the Grey Breaks? Could just be an area Joe made for this book, but if it’s mentioned in another book maybe that could help piece Clover’s story together more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Any other reference to the Grey Breaks? Could just be an area Joe made for this book, but if it’s mentioned in another book maybe that could help piece Clover’s story together more.

I don’t see anything in the Heroes and the wiki doesn’t have anything extra so I think that’s it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I guess the only real question is whether he killed Ironhead “fairly” or not. My sense is that Leo wouldn’t know about it (or be impressed) if he stabbed him in the back, so I would guess he lost his duel to someone else.

Could be Dow maybe? I can’t think of anyone else who would be around at that time who was a big name, though he easily could have lost to just some nobody. Him and Shivers seem pretty friendly these days, though since Shivers has put his old self behind him maybe he beat Clover after he changed his life, which is why he let him live.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Pretty sure he loses in the circle after his glorious battle, so he probably fought Ironhead as fairly as it gets in battle (although Ironhead would be getting older by then while Clover would be up and coming). Then he gets to be a fancy named man for a while before something, probably picking fights or being prickly over honor, gets him into a losing duel. Dow was dead before all this, Ironhead dies sometime after Heroes and before Red country in the offscreen Northern consolidation wars.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Yuru Sulfur recognized Clover in the last book but clover didn't recognize him so that may or may not actually be a clue, who knows.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It would make sense for him to recognize Northern notables as Bayez Inc. took over as the North's hegemon under Scale and Calder.

I think Clover exists because Abercrombie wanted to keep writing a Curdon Craw type but the timeline didn't allow for it to be Curdon Craw.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 17, 2020

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

It would make sense for him to recognize Northern notables as Bayez Inc. took over as the North's hegemon under Scale and Calder.

I think Clover exists because Abercrombie wanted to keep writing a Curdon Craw type but the timeline didn't allow for it to be Curdon Craw.

Clover is basically if Craw wasn't such a straight edge.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I just finished that last one and hoooo boy that was a wild ride. I spent a good portion of the book growing to dislike Leo and Savine more and more, and the payoff at the end was lovely. Can't wait to see what the next book brings!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Finished Last Arguement of Kings. Overall i really enjoyed it. Though it felt, to me, like the trilogy as a whole had more of a sanderson-avalance than i've ever felt from sandersons books.

I was gutted when grim went to the mud, i always like the stoic ones. I'm hopeful that Dow gets to be the absolute motherfuxker hes proclamed to be now. I still want ferro and logen to cut a swath through the ghurkan empire

I'm looking forward to grabbing the next few book in the nearish future -though Gardens of the Moon is next on my to-read list

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Magitek posted:

I love this. It's like a Let's Play for a novel, but more entertaining :allears:

I'm bad at guesses :pseudo:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm bad at guesses :pseudo:

You caught on to Bayez before I did!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Finished Last Arguement of Kings. Overall i really enjoyed it. Though it felt, to me, like the trilogy as a whole had more of a sanderson-avalance than i've ever felt from sandersons books.

What does this mean? Who was your favorite character? Any that you didn't like then grew on you?

If you really liked the north stuff, the second book of the standalones is all about it. The first book takes place in the Italy of the world, back when it was Renaissance warring city states. And the third standalone is a western but with swords- part unforgiven, part deadwood

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Rat posted:

I just finished that last one and hoooo boy that was a wild ride. I spent a good portion of the book growing to dislike Leo and Savine more and more, and the payoff at the end was lovely. Can't wait to see what the next book brings!

Watching Leo gently caress his life up due to his own idiocy, pig-headedness and bigotry and then have that all pointed out to him at his lowest by Orso was one of the most cathartic things I've ever read.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 22, 2020

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I think my favorite bit was how Orso and Leo handled King Jappo. Orso gets Jappo to drop the facade and hammers out a deal; Leo can't stop staring at Jappo's happy trail and storms out flustered.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alikchi posted:

I think my favorite bit was how Orso and Leo handled King Jappo. Orso gets Jappo to drop the facade and hammers out a deal; Leo can't stop staring at Jappo's happy trail and storms out flustered.

And then, to cap it all off, angrily decides to invade Styria and take that disgusting pervert down a peg once he wins. You want to scream, for gently caress’s sake Leo, never gently caress with Monza. She will wreck your poo poo in a heartbeat.

Overall: I just finished re-listening to TTWP, and it just made me sad this time. Yes, Leo 100% brought that all this poo poo on himself, but it just seemed more tragic the second go-around. Leo’s the sort of guy who can be an inspiring leader, but the necessary fusion of administrator, politician, and capable military leader is something so few of the characters in the book series are able to balance. Off the top of my head, only Uthman, Monza, and Bethod were able to balance all 3 well enough to Accomplish Big Things, almost all of the other leaders fall well short in 1 or more areas (Rogont in military, Logan in politics, etc.). And after all this catastrophe goes down? The King and the nobles are both nearly broken as a military force, thousands of people are dead, Leo’s crippled, their baby probably has fetal alcohol/pearl dust, and for what? Nobody’s better off, except maybe Pike and Rikke. And now we get to see sad Ardee and Finree next book. :smith:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I don't think Finree really *does* sad. I can see mad though.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think Finree really *does* sad. I can see mad though.

idk, she already seemed pretty close to a complete breakdown when Leo was leaving and she was begging to come and help. Finding out that he lost horribly and is crippled for life might break her- or she’ll want vengeance against Orso. Hard to say. Maybe she’s the owl?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
I think Finree's time of relevance is safely at an end. I see no reason why her name would get mentioned in the 3rd book.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Fly Molo posted:

And then, to cap it all off, angrily decides to invade Styria and take that disgusting pervert down a peg once he wins. You want to scream, for gently caress’s sake Leo, never gently caress with Monza. She will wreck your poo poo in a heartbeat.

This is great also because it shows how he'd continue the failed policies of the closed council. Yeah good idea to go after Styria a 4th time dumbass. He hung out with the northmen too much and didn't learn any of the lessons of the older ones. Leo is Stour with some manners. Now that I think about it Leo got way more people killed than Stour ever did.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fly Molo posted:

Overall: I just finished re-listening to TTWP, and it just made me sad this time. Yes, Leo 100% brought that all this poo poo on himself, but it just seemed more tragic the second go-around. Leo’s the sort of guy who can be an inspiring leader, but the necessary fusion of administrator, politician, and capable military leader is something so few of the characters in the book series are able to balance. Off the top of my head, only Uthman, Monza, and Bethod were able to balance all 3 well enough to Accomplish Big Things, almost all of the other leaders fall well short in 1 or more areas (Rogont in military, Logan in politics, etc.). And after all this catastrophe goes down? The King and the nobles are both nearly broken as a military force, thousands of people are dead, Leo’s crippled, their baby probably has fetal alcohol/pearl dust, and for what? Nobody’s better off, except maybe Pike and Rikke. And now we get to see sad Ardee and Finree next book. :smith:

God, just imagine if Leo and Savine were content with being a power couple bringing prosperity to Angland while the rest of the Union goes to poo poo.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Fly Molo posted:

Leo’s the sort of guy who can be an inspiring leader, but the necessary fusion of administrator, politician, and capable military leader is something so few of the characters in the book series are able to balance. Off the top of my head, only Uthman, Monza, and Bethod were able to balance all 3 well enough to Accomplish Big Things, almost all of the other leaders fall well short in 1 or more areas (Rogont in military, Logan in politics, etc.). And after all this catastrophe goes down? The King and the nobles are both nearly broken as a military force, thousands of people are dead, Leo’s crippled, their baby probably has fetal alcohol/pearl dust, and for what? Nobody’s better off, except maybe Pike and Rikke. And now we get to see sad Ardee and Finree next book. :smith:

I've been re-reading The Heroes, and was reminded of Leo when Gorst was thinking that Jalenhorm would have made "an excellent lieutenant, a passable captain, a mediocre major and a dismal colonel". Leo might have had enough ability to succeed a rank or three higher than Jalenhorm, but was every bit as much over his head when trying to run an entire war.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Suxpool posted:

I think Finree's time of relevance is safely at an end. I see no reason why her name would get mentioned in the 3rd book.

If she wants revenge on Orso she might be able to have Gorst kill him. On the other hand, Bayaz is going to be pissed enough at her without adding to it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I can't picture her being out for Orso's blood. Finree is a pragmatic politician and Orso showed her son more mercy than he deserved. Meanwhile, she didn't revolt, she's capable and a known quantity in Angland. Seems like a win win to put her back in charge of Angland. It shows mercy and deference to the loyal nobility and she's more inclined than most to want to stay in Orso's good graces.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True... but yeah, that’s a good point, Finree could probably get Gorst to do just about anything for her. Maybe even rescue Leo from prison if it really came down to it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I dunno, given how Gorst acted in various scenes in this one, he seems to be more sober and taking his job duties seriously.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

But my lady I carried this scribe all the way from Adua!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Artonos posted:

Now that I think about it Leo got way more people killed than Stour ever did.

Easily, although I think it’s all going to pale in comparison to the body count in book 3. The Burners/Breakers being armed and cut loose, in opposition to Bayaz and his lack of “conscience, scruple or mercy” to quote Gorst, is probably where The Age of Madness is going to earn its moniker.

But my lady I carried this scribe all the way from Adua!
:golfclap:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
why has it never been mentioned whether or not any of the magi have progeny? it's so conspicuously absent i wonder if the implication isn't that the use of magic makes one unable to have children. or maybe their children and grandchildren and so on died so long ago they lost any connection they had to family. though you'd think at least one of them would put their kid on a throne somewhere if they weren't going to train them to be magi as well.

shenkt has kids but while he used to be an apprentice to bayaz there's never been any hint of magical ability.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Suxpool posted:

why has it never been mentioned whether or not any of the magi have progeny? it's so conspicuously absent i wonder if the implication isn't that the use of magic makes one unable to have children. or maybe their children and grandchildren and so on died so long ago they lost any connection they had to family. though you'd think at least one of them would put their kid on a throne somewhere if they weren't going to train them to be magi as well.

shenkt has kids but while he used to be an apprentice to bayaz there's never been any hint of magical ability.

Euz had kids, the maker had a child.l and shenkt has kids. That's all we ever hear of magic users having kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Vichan posted:

God, just imagine if Leo and Savine were content with being a power couple bringing prosperity to Angland while the rest of the Union goes to poo poo.

They weren't ever going to be content with that, if they weren't both completely avaricious power hungry assholes they'd never have gotten together in the first place. They're very sympathetic, but they're both utterly unprepared to do the right thing instead of the easy thing when it comes to money and power.