Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, "What did you do in the great World War II?" -- you won't have to say, "Well, I shaved snatch in Louisiana."

nah that sounds p cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well it sounds like it implies we're gonna have another ww1 and 2 so there can be a "great ww2" and a lovely one in the next 30 years. Taking bets on which is which

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stravag posted:

Well it sounds like it implies we're gonna have another ww1 and 2 so there can be a "great ww2" and a lovely one in the next 30 years. Taking bets on which is which

The Great World Wars are man vs the planet. We are currently losing the opening foray, but we'll definitely kill this bitch eventually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Great War’s sequel was World War II.

By extension, we are in World Depression II.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 26, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
World War Depression

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Milo and POTUS posted:

World War Depression

I think you just described a lot of people's mental state. Or at least mine, very well.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Milo and POTUS posted:

World War Depression

Honestly every thread title in this entire forum should be this.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Remember in the film Fight Club where Brad Pitt is going on about how they have no great war, no great depression?

MUST BE REAL FUCKIN' NICE, BRO

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I can't watch Fight Club anymore without an irrational urge to slap the entitlement out of the entire cast.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

rndmnmbr posted:

I can't watch Fight Club anymore without an irrational urge to slap the entitlement out of the entire cast.

Palahniuk is a slightly better behaved Garth Ennis. The Fight Club 2 comic is proof there's not much of a firewall between them.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Everyone will be free from tyranny if we wipe out *checks notes* credit card debt!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TK-42-1 posted:

Honestly every thread title in this entire forum should be this.

I smell a gang tag.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Palahniuk is a slightly better behaved Garth Ennis. The Fight Club 2 comic is proof there's not much of a firewall between them.

Apparently there was not only a Fight Club 2 comic miniseries, but a Fight Club 3 comic miniseries. Good god.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dick Burglar posted:

Apparently there was not only a Fight Club 2 comic miniseries, but a Fight Club 3 comic miniseries. Good god.

Just read the synopsis of Fight Club 2 and....wow. Palahniuk was really a one trick pony, basically nothing in there is new.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't think you are supposed to like most of Palahniuk's protagonists, to be honest. His books are usually about crazy, disturbed people doing insane poo poo.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

therobit posted:

I don't think you are supposed to like most of Palahniuk's protagonists, to be honest.

We all need heroes, and what else am I supposed to do with this new pool filter?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just read the synopsis of Fight Club 2 and....wow. Palahniuk was really a one trick pony, basically nothing in there is new.

Most of his books are really similar.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wasn’t fight club sort of a story about how modern American fascism would look, but then around 2016 Chuck basically just decided that instead of it being a bad thing it was actually good and started hanging out with fascists?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Invisible Monsters was good and honestly I liked it better than Fight Club. No way any reputable director is taking that project on. Supposedly Survivor was going to be a movie but then 9/11 happened and a film about a crazed religious figure's plan to slam an airplane into the ground was no longer considered acceptable.

But yeah, Palahniuk's books can be funny but they're mostly shock humor with the same sarcastic narrator character with the serial number filed off.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wild T posted:

Invisible Monsters was good and honestly I liked it better than Fight Club. No way any reputable director is taking that project on. Supposedly Survivor was going to be a movie but then 9/11 happened and a film about a crazed religious figure's plan to slam an airplane into the ground was no longer considered acceptable.

But yeah, Palahniuk's books can be funny but they're mostly shock humor with the same sarcastic narrator character with the serial number filed off.

Survivor is still the most interesting books of his that I've read, but it's probably been 8-10 years or more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yesterday someone asked if there were any trump voters left on this site and someone mentioned maybe in GiP/tfr and I don’t think I have ever :lmao:ed harder or longer.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yesterday someone asked if there were any trump voters left on this site and someone mentioned maybe in GiP/tfr and I don’t think I have ever :lmao:ed harder or longer.

I think some small part of the reputation comes from people who got hounded out of the rest of SA and took refuge in TFR and GiP. These are both smaller subs with more isolated (from the rest of SAF) posters. Once they were accepted, some awful posters stuck around without outing themselves as assholes for quite some time.

I've seen that change in both subs though. Even Aran/PCOS Bill was something of an anomaly by the time he really started to remove the veil. I feel there is far more engagement between any posters and the forums at large than there used to be, like we have more of a "vision" of what we are and who we want to be.

... or maybe I'm talking out the side of my neck. Right thread for it anyways!

I do kinda wonder how the IDR thing would have played out now, rather than how it did then.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Wasn’t fight club sort of a story about how modern American fascism would look, but then around 2016 Chuck basically just decided that instead of it being a bad thing it was actually good and started hanging out with fascists?

The book is pretty grim and the messianic aspects read way more as damaged dude starts a cult and not as an actual prescription for society. Like, instead of beating himself up and framing his boss, the narrator puts an IED in his boss's computer screen and blows his face off. Fincher really wanted to make it a commentary on masculine angst and along the way made it come across as way more inspiring than Palahniuk intended, and I get the impression that Palahniuk liked that interpretation and decided to roll with it.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

madeintaipei posted:

I think some small part of the reputation comes from people who got hounded out of the rest of SA and took refuge in TFR and GiP. These are both smaller subs with more isolated (from the rest of SAF) posters. Once they were accepted, some awful posters stuck around without outing themselves as assholes for quite some time.

I've seen that change in both subs though. Even Aran/PCOS Bill was something of an anomaly by the time he really started to remove the veil. I feel there is far more engagement between any posters and the forums at large than there used to be, like we have more of a "vision" of what we are and who we want to be.

... or maybe I'm talking out the side of my neck. Right thread for it anyways!

I do kinda wonder how the IDR thing would have played out now, rather than how it did then.

There was also a massive amount of homophobia and racism in TFR at one point. I remember in particular several people other than PCOS Bill saying that Trayvon Martin was a violent thug who deserved to die. I don't doubt things are better now though.

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 26, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

I've seen that change in both subs though. Even Aran/PCOS Bill was something of an anomaly by the time he really started to remove the veil.

Part of the reason TFR was a refuge for lovely posters is the fact that it basically didn’t have a mod for a couple of years so nothing got punished unless it got reported to an admin via PM in that era. It will also never really live down the pumpkin shotgun fiasco.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Part of the reason TFR was a refuge for lovely posters is the fact that it basically didn’t have a mod for a couple of years so nothing got punished unless it got reported to an admin via PM in that era. It will also never really live down the pumpkin shotgun fiasco.

Puckins guy got perma’d immediately at least, which is more than CSPAM can say about the attempted cow bomber.

Even when TFR didn’t have mods it was still better than 90 percent of gun forums. Most online gun forums are incredibly awful.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Yeah. LW really wasn't around for the last few years of his tenure, by his own admission.

I've seen a few posters I've missed from then come back to TFR recently, so that's a good sign.
Small and close-knit, but welcoming. Tender, Friendly Rambos. Trans, Firing Rifles. Something like that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whats the pumpkin incident?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Defenestrategy posted:

Bizarre posts by an autistic young-20s kid asking where to obtain hevi-shot brand buckshot to protect his "puckins" from Halloween vandals. Claims they fire paintball or pellet guns at houses and broke his dad's leg with them. Got roundly mocked and driven out of TFR, then shortly after shot his neighbor then himself with a shotgun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Defenestrategy posted:

Crazy person asked TFR for ammunition recommendations to defend his pumpkins (with some dumb misspelling) from vandals. Then did a murder-suicide.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stingwing posted:

There was also a massive amount of homophobia and racism in TFR at one point. I remember in particular several people other than PCOS Bill saying that Trayvon Martin was a violent thug who deserved to die. I don't doubt things are better now though.

SinistralRifleman (who you see on InRangeTV occasionally) got a perma recently for defending Kyle Rittenhouse.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

For the record many of PCOS Bill’s cheerleaders still post in TFR and haven’t changed their stripes at all. Just earlier today somebody pointed out in the AR thread that LaRue has bad politics and sells islamophobic Patriot fiction (Brad Thor specifically) on their website, and a couple people complained about people talking about politics and one person saying that arguing LaRue supports islamophobia because they sell a book must mean that their local bookworld is also islamophobic.

Cyrano is horny for both sides discourse so they get a safe haven to whine about politics anytime somebody says “sure you could buy LaRue but they’re openly garbage”

The TFR affiliated discord also has two moderators who still post in TFR and in the last month have gone on late night rants about wanting to kill any and all commies protesting near their homes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Gun oil is going to be the next brain damaging thing they find after lead.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Gun oil is going to be the next brain damaging thing they find after lead.

That's why you only use the finest Swiss Waffenfett. Everything but the squeal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Internet Wizard posted:

For the record many of PCOS Bill’s cheerleaders still post in TFR and haven’t changed their stripes at all. Just earlier today somebody pointed out in the AR thread that LaRue has bad politics and sells islamophobic Patriot fiction (Brad Thor specifically) on their website, and a couple people complained about people talking about politics and one person saying that arguing LaRue supports islamophobia because they sell a book must mean that their local bookworld is also islamophobic.

Cyrano is horny for both sides discourse so they get a safe haven to whine about politics anytime somebody says “sure you could buy LaRue but they’re openly garbage”

The TFR affiliated discord also has two moderators who still post in TFR and in the last month have gone on late night rants about wanting to kill any and all commies protesting near their homes.

Yeah as long as people like PCOS bill is still welcome in TFR, its not worth it. Better than most gun forums or not, mediocrity is not an excuse.

Internet Wizard posted:

:stare:

Y'know, I love poo poo like this, argued by people who scream about Freedoms, especially Freedom of belief, but if you have different political beliefs, death and concentration camps for you! Then they whine when you call them out on their genocidal views on Muslims/Jews/Blacks/etc.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 26, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Defenestrategy posted:

If you have archives, this is the original thread and this is TFR realizing what happened.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
I still remember when this thread was posted, where a TFR poster made a thread asking whether there were any other gay gun people there and the entire subforum completely lost its poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Barking Squirrel’s eventual meltdown was a sight to see.

What an rear end in a top hat. Maybe a former Marine, IIRC?

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Jesus Christ you aren't kidding

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:stare: "Well researched racism"