Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Relentless posted:

With as effective as they are, why not?

No point in taking chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/20/925782187/rush-limbaugh-says-his-lung-cancer-is-terminal-going-in-wrong-direction

Welp, this was bound to happen I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Did you just miss the last 10 posts in this thread or...?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Maybe we should do something more concrete.

Send him cigars. I hear he loves them.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Maybe we should do something more concrete.

Send him cigars. I hear he loves them.

I would contribute to a goon project that sends Rush a giant congratulations wreath and some extra-cancery cigars.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BiggerBoat posted:

Did you just miss the last 10 posts in this thread or...?

My mistake.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I would contribute to a goon project that sends Rush a giant congratulations wreath and some extra-cancery cigars.

Same. I'd get on it, but between being back at work and :effort:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So...uhhh...speaking of news about inappropriate conduct with minors, apparently the new Borat movie shows Giuliani really revved up to interview what he thinks is a 15 year old reporter

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/21/rudy-giuliani-faces-questions-after-compromising-scene-in-new-borat-film

quote:

In the film, released on Friday, the former New York mayor and current personal attorney to Donald Trump is seen reaching into his trousers and apparently touching his genitals while reclining on a bed in the presence of the actor playing Borat’s daughter, who is posing as a TV journalist.

Following an obsequious interview for a fake conservative news programme, the pair retreat at her suggestion for a drink to the bedroom of a hotel suite, which is rigged with concealed cameras.

After she removes his microphone, Giuliani, 76, can be seen lying back on the bed, fiddling with his untucked shirt and reaching into his trousers. They are then interrupted by Borat who runs in and says: “She’s 15. She’s too old for you.”

Best as I can tell, the actress (who is 24) is clearly introduced as being 15 so, even giving Rudy the benefit of the doubt that he had an uncomfortable shift or something going on, how do FOX and Rush explain away the agreement to an under aged drink?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A real shrewd thing the Cohen team seems to have pulled here is planting her as a journalist. This means she probably got consent to be recorded from Rudy, opening the door to the hidden cams in the bedroom.

I don't know the details of recording consent laws though, so I might be completely off-base.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

In Virginia a conversation can be legally recorded as long as one party agrees. The other doesn't have to be informed.

That's how Lewinsky got recorded by Linda Tripp.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

So if she was introduced as 15, Giuliani has had to have done this before, right? I couldn't imagine someone having this situation arise and just think "Well, I've never gone full pedo before and this might be my last and only opportunity so whelp!"

Goddamn maybe Q is right but just got the parties mixed up. I guess we kind of assumed/knew that already though but I never thought the proof might be this blatant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It looks like he didn't know she was supposed to be underage. It's still super embarrassing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

tek79 posted:

So if she was introduced as 15, Giuliani has had to have done this before, right? I couldn't imagine someone having this situation arise and just think "Well, I've never gone full pedo before and this might be my last and only opportunity so whelp!"

Goddamn maybe Q is right but just got the parties mixed up. I guess we kind of assumed/knew that already though but I never thought the proof might be this blatant.

It has nothing to do with party. Abuse of minors is about the people who don’t consider the effect of their actions on others, and how institutions circle the wagons around the powerful. Those two factors happen to line up in conservative institutions, but they’re hardly exclusive

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It looks like he didn't know she was supposed to be underage. It's still super embarrassing.

I'm hearing he did and also hearing he didn't. Both from people who claim to have seen the film so I don't know. Still super hosed up though and would be enough to bury any democrat. Oddly, there's no mention of this on CNN front page but bet your rear end if Borat had gotten Eric Holder or someone FIX would have a huge headline.

Also

According to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, Trump has given 10 times as many interviews to Fox as he has to any outlet since he became president. Here's Knoller's count:

Fox News (all platforms): 115
Wall Street Journal: 10
NBC/CNBC: 9
Washington Post: 8
Reuters: 8
New York Times: 8
ABC: 7
CBS: 7 (including Tuesday's "60 Minutes" interview)
Associated Press: 2
CNN: 0

That's still almost a 2-1 ratio of FOX versus every other channel combined. But no one is being fair to him.

EDIT:

Also, just checked and Borat/Giuliani is nowhere on FOX News' front page

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 21, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Sacha Baron Cohen is terribly useful as some kind of activist or expose journalist or whatever. Like even if Rudy or someone else fully fell for it and really did do the thing Cohen is selling he's such an over the top act operating in bad faith that it becomes easy for Guilliani to just claim he knew it was bullshit and it was dishonestly edited. That may or may not be true but when your counter point is Borat its not going to go very far.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Sacha Baron Cohen is terribly useful as some kind of activist or expose journalist or whatever. Like even if Rudy or someone else fully fell for it and really did do the thing Cohen is selling he's such an over the top act operating in bad faith that it becomes easy for Guilliani to just claim he knew it was bullshit and it was dishonestly edited. That may or may not be true but when your counter point is Borat its not going to go very far.

I think the point is that Rudy even being part of a tawdry spectacle like that hotel room scene removes any last shred of credibility from him and helps defuse any impact of ginned up hard drive BS with anyone other than people who were already rabid Trump fans.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Fox news is not news, it is explicitly right-wing propaganda.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

They have been able to beat back several libel claims and other challenges by saying that most of their output is entertainment and that no reasonable person would take what Hannity says seriously.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm hearing he did and also hearing he didn't. Both from people who claim to have seen the film so I don't know. Still super hosed up though and would be enough to bury any democrat. Oddly, there's no mention of this on CNN front page but bet your rear end if Borat had gotten Eric Holder or someone FIX would have a huge headline.

Also

According to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, Trump has given 10 times as many interviews to Fox as he has to any outlet since he became president. Here's Knoller's count:

Fox News (all platforms): 115
Wall Street Journal: 10
NBC/CNBC: 9
Washington Post: 8
Reuters: 8
New York Times: 8
ABC: 7
CBS: 7 (including Tuesday's "60 Minutes" interview)
Associated Press: 2
CNN: 0

That's still almost a 2-1 ratio of FOX versus every other channel combined. But no one is being fair to him.

EDIT:

Lol CNN.

As for Rudy, I'm guessing Rudy forgot that he's not in Eastern Europe anymore and they don't send hookers to collect kompromat to their guests as a matter of course over here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
https://twitter.com/andresintheory/status/1319077022803595264

"Sure we did some genocide, but it was all for a reason you know."

Also a lot of people in the comments saying "Obviously he doesn't support genocide!" and I guess they are technically correct, blithe dismissal of genocide isn't really support.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

who is that?

this is the trouble with 'without comment'.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

They have been able to beat back several libel claims and other challenges by saying that most of their output is entertainment and that no reasonable person would take what Hannity says seriously.

I still don't get how that works for an argument.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

who is that?

this is the trouble with 'without comment'.

Matthew Yglesias, one of the guys who founded Vox.

Trying to reach common ground with the far right seems to be his thing, in that clip he's on Ben Shapiro's show essentially saying "Sure we did some bad things when we enacted Manifest Destiny, but it was all for a good cause right? And expanding immigration and having a bigger welfare state can help Make America Great Again!"

He also wrote a book saying we need to have one billion people in America to defeat China, and went on Glenn Beck's show to talk about it.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Twelve by Pies posted:

He also wrote a book saying we need to have one billion people in America to defeat China, and went on Glenn Beck's show to talk about it.

Rig the economy to benefit the people who aren't having kids anymore, cut all social safety nets for young families, then demand that they breed to fight against the Chinese Menace. Saying that we live in a dystopia is cliché by this point, but this is much less Hunger Games and more like those weird 60's novels with sex cults and psychic babies and poo poo. The same amount of logic applies.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Twelve by Pies posted:

Matthew Yglesias, one of the guys who founded Vox.

Trying to reach common ground with the far right seems to be his thing, in that clip he's on Ben Shapiro's show essentially saying "Sure we did some bad things when we enacted Manifest Destiny, but it was all for a good cause right? And expanding immigration and having a bigger welfare state can help Make America Great Again!"

pretty loving ridiculous that he's basically channeling Mussolini's 8 million banyonets comment

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Holy poo poo. You might be right. Maybe I should start a thread about it.

;)

Twelve by Pies posted:

https://twitter.com/andresintheory/status/1319077022803595264

"Sure we did some genocide, but it was all for a reason you know."

Also a lot of people in the comments saying "Obviously he doesn't support genocide!" and I guess they are technically correct, blithe dismissal of genocide isn't really support.

Well, sure.

I mean, committing genocide without a reason would just be horrible.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This country won't have a billion people in my lifetime because we do nothing to support people who have children. If anything it's discouraged with the fact that we have no paid leave and even with unpaid leave it can still lead to people getting fired down the road. People are having to work multiple jobs to make what one job used to make, because we are continuing to cut wages. That's not even getting into the fact that daycare costs people the kind of money that you would need yet another job to cover.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013
Nice to know half my ancestors were murdered, raped, chased from their homeland and occassionally enslaved "for a reason".

Anyway, I don't know why this jackass thinks we're going to be having more kids when birth rates were already declining and now the us is getting a double-whammy of pandemic and climate change.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't think he's necessarily saying "We need to have more kids" to get to the one billion, based on what he was saying on Shapiro's show it seems he's trying to say we need to reach the billion by expanding immigration and letting more people into the country. He's trying to get right wingers to accept immigration based on "It'll help America beat China!" but the problem with this is he seems ignorant of how incredibly racist the right is and there is no way they would accept this framing of the argument (since the right would rather take the "more whites need to have kids" route).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

I still don't get how that works for an argument.

The first element of defamation is that someone needs to have made a false statement purporting to be fact. As long as your most objectionable output is talking heads bullshitting and spouting their opinions there is very little to build a defamation case around.

Note that I am not a lawyer though and 100% butchering important details. Fox News also have the resources to beat back a steady drip of, mostly unsuccessful, defamation cases and random Joes do not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think he's necessarily saying "We need to have more kids" to get to the one billion, based on what he was saying on Shapiro's show it seems he's trying to say we need to reach the billion by expanding immigration and letting more people into the country. He's trying to get right wingers to accept immigration based on "It'll help America beat China!" but the problem with this is he seems ignorant of how incredibly racist the right is and there is no way they would accept this framing of the argument (since the right would rather take the "more whites need to have kids" route).
Yeah the right would see that as "we had to destroy the village to save it" logic

They think letting in immigrants is the same as letting America be conquered by foreign hoards

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Have the crabs warm up

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The real bitch of it is that Bill Mitchell lies so often and reflexively that this could be anything from genuine heart trouble to the heretofore undiscovered "explosive pancreas syndrome" and there's no way of knowing without a second perspective.

Either way, they can throw him in the same dumpster with Rush and charge people a nickel to piss in it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Good way to build mythoheroic explanation for why you were unable to stop the Dolchstoßlegende of Nov 3rd.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Where's that meme of Jeremy Clarkson going "OH NO!!!.... moving on!" when you need it?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

PT6A posted:

Where's that meme of Jeremy Clarkson going "OH NO!!!.... moving on!" when you need it?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I ran out of good podcasts so I flipped on some AM radio driving around this morning. Listened to a few minutes of Rush.

The topic was all about how the polls got it all wrong in 2016 (no specifics about state vs. national, electoral college etc.), and how everything is identical this year to 2016, and how no one with eyes who can see could possibly see Joe Biden winning, the guy who went nowhere in his previous presidential runs. No discussion of how Trump is an incumbent and this election might be a referendum upon his performance.

Shy voters who won't cop to voting Trump because they're afraid of getting doxxed and retaliated against, or because they think the polls are a dishonest extension of the DEMOCRAT PARTY.

Rush's voice is still recognizable but changed in some way by cancer or weight loss. It occasionally cracks or breaks and sounds hoarse.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Interesting, Mark Levin has been taking the opposite route, and is portraying Trump's reelection being in real jeopardy. He screams and complains about it, of course, but he's already pointing the finger to blame old people and suburb-dwellers if Trump goes down in flames. He started saying "okay, people, you need to pledge to bring a friend to the voting booth" about a month ago, and now he's begging his listeners to bring 10 or 12 people. He's a lot jumpier than some of his peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Interesting, Mark Levin has been taking the opposite route, and is portraying Trump's reelection being in real jeopardy. He screams and complains about it, of course, but he's already pointing the finger to blame old people and suburb-dwellers if Trump goes down in flames. He started saying "okay, people, you need to pledge to bring a friend to the voting booth" about a month ago, and now he's begging his listeners to bring 10 or 12 people. He's a lot jumpier than some of his peers.

Mark Levin's always been a bootlegger