Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know Lego isn't German, but there's something about American Indians in Germany: https://indiancountrytoday.com/archive/germany-s-obsession-with-american-indians-is-touching-and-occasionally-surreal-11svYURPGEKcX1JAFPUP4g

It wouldn't surprise me if the Indian sets had something to do with that "aggressive fondness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I was a kid in the 80ies and here in Germany Cowboys and Indians was (and still is I guess) a totally harmless semi-fantasy setting kids play with just like dinosaurs, ninjas or how they pretend to be princesses.
It's a romanticized version of the real thing and I don't see anything bad in it to be honest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me at least it seems like a pretty tasteful set and the type of thing Lego should do more of. Certainly preferable to any sort of "Cowboys vs Indians" theme. Are the native american CMFs they have done recently questionable? I think they are great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think the issue was more about how the figures in that old set were bright red instead of standard Lego yellow.

The set is also literally named “Red Indians”.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 29, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They aren't though. They are brownish red. You can see bright red in the canoe and especially the Lego logo. But either way, considering all of the crazy racist products of the olden days, toys that are meant to depict domestic native life seem like, good?

Edit: as far as the titles go, Yeah maybe they didn't age that gracefully, but we are talking 40-50 years ago. It's not like it's malicious.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 29, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It doesn’t have to be malicious to still be problematic. If every Lego person you’ve made in the past has been yellow but suddenly the Native American figures in your new set are red for some reason, well...

To Lego’s credit though, it looks like any Native American characters made from the 90’s onward have either been flesh-colored or just plain generic yellow.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't remember those minifigures at all! They look like Playmobil figures which were popular in my area in the mid-seventies.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
King Kahuka from the Islanders series is probably the most problematic minifig of all tbh. There isn't anything malicious about the Wild West sets, the issue I would say it really doesn't give any historical context beyond the romanticized view of the frontier. It leaves a lot unsaid, that nowadays requires bears explanation about the actual relationship between "Cowboys and Indians"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Americans should be more sensitive to it what with the whole history of genocide and forcing the survivors onto plots of land the white people didn't want (and forcing them to move again when plots turned out to be valuable).

But Lego isn't a US company so maybe that changes the optics. :iiam:

If they put out a native american or first nations series that celebrated their culture that might work better, but even then I think it's something corporations operating in north america should steer away from because then you get into the anti-appropriation crowd stirred up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think it may be kinda similar to the handling of Nazi themes here in Germany. We are a lot stricter and more critical of depictions of Nazis and Nazi related imagery in media because of what happened in our country. In other countries laws and regulations are way more lenient about that.

Likewise, our handling and depiction of themes involving Native Americans is differerent and more romanticized because this particular issue is further removed from us.

To be clear: I don't mean to draw any political conclusions or weigh these topics against each other, I just want to give an example of possible effect of geographical distance on perception of certain themes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Literally A Person posted:

:allears:OFFICIAL LEGO TOILET:allears:

Lego LOVES toilets. I appreciate their commitment to putting them everywhere. The toilet and chamber pots in Barracuda Bay, oh my.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

King Kahuka from the Islanders series is probably the most problematic minifig of all tbh. There isn't anything malicious about the Wild West sets, the issue I would say it really doesn't give any historical context beyond the romanticized view of the frontier. It leaves a lot unsaid, that nowadays requires bears explanation about the actual relationship between "Cowboys and Indians"

If anything, Lego was fairly smart thoughtful with regards to Wild West - the conflict in the first series was between the cowboys and robbers, and the second series was literally just Native Americans and, uh, snakes?

Now sure, you could combine the two series and get that conflict, but they never endorsed it.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 29, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The natives vs snakes wars were millennia of history and we just gloss over it like nothing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not as popular as the emu wars.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The some or other con exclusive black widow set is up on amazon. Mostly getting it to have another Sheriff Hopper minifig.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dogen posted:

The some or other con exclusive black widow set is up on amazon. Mostly getting it to have another Sheriff Hopper minifig.

Got a link?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I forgot about that big dumbass hollow tree stump piece, LEGO seemed to think that was a worthy centerpiece for a little while.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Don't forget the technic ones

Most of the 90s and 00s technics sets were scaled or designed to fit these.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The_Doctor posted:

Got a link?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DVVKDF4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spookydonut posted:

Don't forget the technic ones

Most of the 90s and 00s technics sets were scaled or designed to fit these.

These guys fit perfectly into the VW Camper (and maybe some of the others, I haven’t checked).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
One of the most egregiously overpriced sets I've ever seen, including the last would-be-comic-con-exclusive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Almost .20 per piece overpriced?? Never

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

One of the most egregiously overpriced sets I've ever seen, including the last would-be-comic-con-exclusive.

Yeah seriously, That and Bespin are both shockingly overpriced. I really don't like that Lego basically seems to have taken the perceived collectibility into account when pricing the MSRP.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
It's ok they're for scalpers

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Carbohydrates posted:

I still bought one just so I can finally get a ComicCon set.

E: They are all gone now

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

kensei posted:

I still bought one just so I can finally get a ComicCon set.

E: They are all gone now

I was considering getting one but just didn't like it enough after I saw it. The vehicle is blah and the Taskmaster minifigure is terrible.

Is the part being used for the vehicle mirrors a minifigure-scale paint roller?

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 29, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pzy posted:

It's ok they're for scalpers

I bought the Bespin one and built it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Any news on the Nebulon-B?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there a way to see all the titles this thread has had? I remember some of them being great.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there a way to see all the titles this thread has had? I remember some of them being great.

The best one was LEGOS MEGATHREAD, such a good troll.

Do people buy/sell at all in this thread? I got sucked back in hard after a few years break and bought ~150lb of bulk over the past few weeks and will be shooting out a steady stream of old school space sets as I go through it trying to recoup some money.

I've also got some partial sets that I probably won't bother rebuilding (6075-2 big yellow castle and 7181 UCS Tie Interceptor) that I'd like to move along after I figure out what all is missing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The speeder from the Mandalorian Battle Pack fits really well in the Razor Crest hold along with all the Mandalorians, in case anyone else wants to do what I've done and give Mando a squad

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Sloppy posted:

Do people buy/sell at all in this thread? I got sucked back in hard after a few years break and bought ~150lb of bulk over the past few weeks and will be shooting out a steady stream of old school space sets as I go through it trying to recoup some money.

I've also got some partial sets that I probably won't bother rebuilding (6075-2 big yellow castle and 7181 UCS Tie Interceptor) that I'd like to move along after I figure out what all is missing.
Yeah, people have wheel'd and deal'd itt, myself included. If it ever reaches a point of oversaturation, we can deal with it then (perhaps move it to the discord), but as it is, I haven't seen anybody here upset about it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Sloppy posted:

Depending on how "partial" that TIE set is, you may have piqued my interest there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of buying, could anyone help me identify whether there is a lego version of this set?

I’m a huge sucker for shunter trains, but I wasn’t able to find anything under that or diesel when searching. Trains are one of those things where I’d rather pay more for better wheels and couplers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of buying, could anyone help me identify whether there is a lego version of this set?

I’m a huge sucker for shunter trains, but I wasn’t able to find anything under that or diesel when searching. Trains are one of those things where I’d rather pay more for better wheels and couplers.

Closest is probably the cargo train? https://brickset.com/sets/60198-1/Cargo-Train

E: Been on my mind: With the Crocodile Locomotive being released this year aimed at older audiences, I'm curious if they'll be doing more train stuff like it in the future.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 30, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
40410 Charles Dickens GWP was available in store today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ExParrot posted:

Guess what I just found in my box collection, hidden away in my old BSB box...

Right out of the 70s, classic figures and all!

Are we going to talk about why that 4 year old has massive hands or blue eyeshadow?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

40410 Charles Dickens GWP was available in store today.

I'm guessing this is the black friday gift? I didn't see it in the calendar. Weird that they would be giving it out so early.

E: also lol at the new xmas set already backordered past Xmas. Sigh, gonna have to go into the store to get it, I guess. Ugh.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 30, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wonder why Legos online store constantly sells out of poo poo and you can just walk into their retail stores and buy anything. Like, I have never not been able to find a sold out set at my local Lego Stores. And it's always been like that even before the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Wonder why Legos online store constantly sells out of poo poo and you can just walk into their retail stores and buy anything. Like, I have never not been able to find a sold out set at my local Lego Stores. And it's always been like that even before the pandemic.

There aren't that many Lego stores. They are in population centers but, as an example, I have to drive 30 mins to get to the closest one. There are 3 others in the Bay Area and one near Sacramento. That's it, outside of the Socal Metro area. And CA is a big state. Nothing in the central valley from Bakersfield to Fresno. And it's like this all over the country.

I believe there is one in Honolulu. But not on any of the other islands and Maui is a pretty affluent island. And so on...