Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Yowza, That’s a lot of features for a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Are snowmobile helmets similarly tested/rated?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Well, its DOT for what that is worth, but not ece. it feels solid enough handling it to trust my noggin with it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Really wish ski-doo would ship internationally. :sigh:

builds character posted:

Are snowmobile helmets similarly tested/rated?

Even if they weren't, when the weather gets lovely enough I'd take a drop in crash protection if it meant being able to see better.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Supradog posted:

So I got the BRP/ski-doo oxygen helmet. It has actual ear muffs inside that you can dismantle to insert a Sena/cardo speaker, magnetic power cable for the heated visor and a proper glove friendly internal sun shade that's in a heated area in the helmet, so it's not foggy when you drop it down.
https://youtu.be/q7xBqerXgJQ

"Just like our snowmobiles, it has tons of characteristics" - sold, I love characteristics. How many, exactly, does it have?

edit: because I can't seem to control the snark today, could someone have told this guy to NOT let his two-year-old cut his hair before they shot this video?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The snowmobile/scooter world is a strange intersection between totally utilitarian rein herders/ semi sensible snow tourers/weeded up gnarly dudes that do at least 3 loops at any jump.. Brps products fall into all those spheres since the market Vs motorcycles is relatively tiny. I think his look is a total marketing intersection that doesn't offend any of those too much.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
LEGALLY speaking, since they're not rated crashing with one count as crashing with no helmet on.

In an EU country, anyway.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went riding in low 50s temps today and while I stayed warm I felt like an astronaut. Insulated gloves, all three layers of jacket, and track pants under my riding jeans.

I felt clumsy and awkward but it may be better than sweating myself to death in 90+ summer weather.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I found a good deal on a Cardo Scala Rider G4. Anybody here have experience with them? I only want to talk to my riding buddy and listen to music occasionally, I have no interest in phone calls or navigation stuff.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I found a good deal on a Cardo Scala Rider G4. Anybody here have experience with them? I only want to talk to my riding buddy and listen to music occasionally, I have no interest in phone calls or navigation stuff.

pretty much all headsets are decent if you stay within sight of each other. I've used sena's smh5 and SRL as well as cardo's packtalk bold or w/e and all found them more or less the same with regards to sound quality while wearing earplugs

my current set up is a smh5 for talking while wearing airpod pros for noise cancellation and listening to music / podcasts / w/e and I prefer that the most

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You don't need an expensive headset if you just want to listen to the radio or talk to the passenger. There are $50 noname units on Amazon that will do the job just fine. the top tier brand will get your better speakers, better microphone, and an ability to actually connect over a long distance. The mesh network is designed for large groups and that's what you pay a premium for. It's literally twice as much over the regular comm set

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

F9 mentioned the best advice is just "get whatever people you ride with have" and think I agree. Though if it's just 1 on 1 riding not in a group then it's fairly easy to pair between disparate systems on any decent headset these days IIRC.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The guy listing this Scala G4 I’m looking at is asking $125, and the one friend who I ride with is going to split the cost with me. So it’ll be only ~$70 apiece anyway, and less if I talk him down since it’s 10 years old. I doubt I'll have a passenger for quite a while, so I do want something with a good half mile of range, which I believe this has. My sticking point is going to be how well it pairs with newer iPhones and streams music.

Apparently this model has an FM radio, so I can listen to NPR and community radio :v:

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 28, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just use mine to play the Top Gun theme as I brapp down the highway.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Martytoof posted:

F9 mentioned the best advice is just "get whatever people you ride with have" and think I agree. Though if it's just 1 on 1 riding not in a group then it's fairly easy to pair between disparate systems on any decent headset these days IIRC.

It’s not truly universal. There’s still enough incompatibility to stop that. But paying more is likely to get you closer to that goal.

But it seems like it’s a “weakest link” situation, a $300 intercom pairing with. $30 unit is might have issues because the $30 one is a bit poo poo. Meanwhile two identical $30 ones are likely to work flawlessly.

I’ve not done enough testing to confirm. But like F9 says, “buy what your friends have” even if it’s a $30 pile of garbage. You’re going to be the odd one out not talking if you’re the idiot with the $300 unit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As the idiot with the $300 unit I strongly push those for just that reason :q:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

The Bell MX-9 Adv MIPS was well received (and mentioned positively in an early F9 video).

gently caress I hate this helmet because the liner has a sweatband thing that breaks loose from its Velcro’d position and bunches up inside the helmet causing massive instant pressure headaches, and is guaranteed to happen 35 minutes into any ride no matter how I have it setup from the start.

I also scuffed it like immediately so I couldn’t really return it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If anyone wants a 10C Evo, the rvautoparts has them for $300 brand new. Bought 3 units for my group, it's good stuff. Compatible with any 10C unit mounting and speakers, plugs right in the old socket. Battery life is twice as long, 1 hour and 45 minutes with the camera rolling and music playing. That brings it down to 40% charge, and then unit shuts off camera/recording to preserve battery life. That 40% is good for another 7 hours of music and intercom.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

That’s pretty good all things considered. Is that 1:45 at 4K?

Still mildly annoyed with Sena though. Making mesh2.0 backwards incompatible with previous units (but admittedly backporting support w/ firmware updates), and not making it obvious caused an hour of gas-station frustration.

And the headphone jack on my mount failed after maybe 4hrs of use, and gently caress paying £60 for what amounts to some plastic, switches, and wire.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 30, 2020

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I've been out of the street errand and commute thing for a while. I have my nerd-gray aerostich that's like 12 years old and is fine, I still wear it everywhere. But is there more normal looking gear these days that's decently protective? I suppose there's leather jacket & riding jeans thing but I remember those jeans always being uncomfortable and still looking dorky as hell.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Infinotize posted:

I've been out of the street errand and commute thing for a while. I have my nerd-gray aerostich that's like 12 years old and is fine, I still wear it everywhere. But is there more normal looking gear these days that's decently protective? I suppose there's leather jacket & riding jeans thing but I remember those jeans always being uncomfortable and still looking dorky as hell.

Someone recently debuted jeans that have the aramid woven in, but I couldnt get them here so I cant say how great it really is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infinotize posted:

I have my nerd-gray aerostich ... riding jeans ... looking dorky as hell.

I mean, really?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I mean, really?

He's trying to shed the dork image, man. If you're trying to avoid looking like a dadbiker, switching from a 'stich to jeans that look like you're wearing adult diapers isn't exactly an upgrade.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

Someone recently debuted jeans that have the aramid woven in, but I couldnt get them here so I cant say how great it really is.

They've been doing that for a while but you still need the full-weave on impact and friction zones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

He's trying to shed the dork image, man. If you're trying to avoid looking like a dadbiker, switching from a 'stich to jeans that look like you're wearing adult diapers isn't exactly an upgrade.

Galaxy brain: actually wear adult diapers so you can ride longer. You’re in the company of nascar drivers and astronauts. Can’t be all bad

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

I have these. They seem fine. They’re pretty baggy, so maybe that helps hide the armor?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Knox and PandoMoto both make aramid base layers, letting you wear whatever you want on top.

A few companies have come and gone making “business casual” apparel, Aether comes to mind.

Otherwise, it’s jeans and leather.

Check out UrbanRider, a lot of the gear there is aimed towards looks more than protection.

SEKCobra posted:

It’s half as effective as aramid lined jeans. Probably good for a commute, but I wouldn’t wear it for any spirited riding.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Horse Clocks posted:

Knox and PandoMoto both make aramid base layers, letting you wear whatever you want on top.

A few companies have come and gone making “business casual” apparel, Aether comes to mind.

Otherwise, it’s jeans and leather.

Check out UrbanRider, a lot of the gear there is aimed towards looks more than protection.

It’s half as effective as aramid lined jeans. Probably good for a commute, but I wouldn’t wear it for any spirited riding.

I was looking for something to use on my city commute which i can also comfortably wear at work.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

I have these. They seem fine. They’re pretty baggy, so maybe that helps hide the armor?

I have the K52s, wore them once, need to sell them. They are definitely dad jeans (no offense, just not my thing)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have some Bowtex leggings that have armor and wear under whatever normal pants I want but have the full protection and are still pretty breathable and comfortable. I got them to commute to work in but not look weird or have to hassle with changing. They are euro though so getting them shipped to me in the states was probably harder than it should have been.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those Bowtex leggings look really appealing, though I'm wondering how much less bulky it actually feels wearing those under my regular daywear jeans vs my motorcycle specific jeans.

I'm pretty sure these are what I have: https://resurgencegear.com/shop-men/heritage-jeans.html -- that is to say, I know that's the brand, just don't remember which specific model.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

Those Bowtex leggings look really appealing, though I'm wondering how much less bulky it actually feels wearing those under my regular daywear jeans vs my motorcycle specific jeans.

I'm pretty sure these are what I have: https://resurgencegear.com/shop-men/heritage-jeans.html -- that is to say, I know that's the brand, just don't remember which specific model.

I wear them under my normal fancy selvege jeans just fine and comfortable enough to have no issues wearing all day. I also wear them under my normal chinos and stuff as well no problem. I haven't had motorcycle jeans before so I couldn't say that comparison, but the dyneema leggings feel just like wearing long johns really.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a pair of the Scorpion jeans, and while they are comfortable, they look stupid off the bike. They're maybe a little too long for me, but when I'm on the bike the kneepads are in the right place, so I know the fit is fine from waist to knees. Off the bike standing up, I look like a fuckin blue michelin man and the top of the kneepads falls down to hit just below my patella. I've given up on ever looking normal while wearing riding gear, but I don't ever ride anywhere that it matters. Honestly if I was riding to meet friends for dinner or go to a show or something, I'd probably just wear street clothes and my leather jacket and be extra cautious. But pretty much all my socialization involves beer, so I don't ride to social things. At my office, I can easily change into work clothes, too.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

I have the K52s, wore them once, need to sell them. They are definitely dad jeans (no offense, just not my thing)

Oh actually those are the ones I have, I always forget which is which. I’m not too into the style either, but it’s better than just jeans. I don’t think they are bad as you describe but I’ve also never looked in a mirror with them on.

I ordered some Alpinestars leather pants the other day, but they are a little too small. I ordered size 46, exchanging for 50. Hopefully it’s not too big. The 46 was nowhere close to being able to zip up around my calves which is why I went for 50 instead.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Are there any good options for wearing armor above my normal jeans? I would like something for commuting that is straightforward to put on and take off.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Klim Hardanger, Aerostitch, Rukka <thing>, Joe Rocket <thing>

I have a Hardanger, it is great for commuting. Wore it over a suit once.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

SEKCobra posted:

I was looking for something to use on my city commute which i can also comfortably wear at work.

I wear these for riding to work / wearing at work:

https://tobaccomotorwear.com/collections/pants/products/copy-of-journeymen-olive-canvas-protective-riding-jeans

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SEKCobra posted:

Are there any good options for wearing armor above my normal jeans? I would like something for commuting that is straightforward to put on and take off.

I've had a pair of gen 1 rev'it airwave trousers almost as long as I've been riding, they're really easy to get on and off because the legs zip open almost all the way up to the crotch.

Unfortunately subsequent revisions have the zipper only go up to just below the knee... similar long-zip armoured textile overtrousers definitely still exist, but I couldn't tell you a brand to look for :/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Horse Clocks posted:

Klim Hardanger, Aerostitch, Rukka <thing>, Joe Rocket <thing>

I have a Hardanger, it is great for commuting. Wore it over a suit once.

Oh I only need something for my legs, I only ride using a jacket, helmet and gloves at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

After a year and ~5k miles, this is what the shifter side of my SMX 6s looks like:

How much of this is poor technique, and how much is poor boot construction?

I wore that gray spot through the faux-leather pretty quick, and as soon as I noticed I made an effort to stick my foot farther forward for shifts. But the wear on the rubber pad that's chewed through the stitching and torn is new this month. These are size 11.5 (I don't have short feet) and I haven't adjusted the shifter at all from stock. If this is a fluke of boot design, fine, but I'm not really looking to wear through boots faster than I wear through tires.