Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

it should probably be legal to give children liquor if they're on an airplane tbh

I was apparently a world traveler as an infant. Supposedly on a transatlantic flight I while was throwing a tantrum a kindly old Irish woman told my mom in the thickest accent you’ve ever heard that the best way to settle a baby was to dip her finger in a shot of whiskey and rub it on the baby’s lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Smashburger at PHL has permanently settled my preference of layover hubs.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
even tortas fronteras cannot elevate ORD sufficiently

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

The Smashburger at PHX has permanently settled my preference of layover hubs.

they got that poo poo on the c gates in Denver too. Realtalk though Mo's in PDX is the best seafood you're likely to find in a domestic airport and Bambuza right next door is probably the best Vietnamese you'll find pretty much anywhere. My Mo's frequent diner card has like one space left before I get a free meal and I haven't been to Portland since the spring it's driving me nuts.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

How have i never idly browsed the aviation section on craigslist before

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

The Smashburger at PHX has permanently settled my preference of layover hubs.

I hike to the one in CLT. Although CLT also got a Shake Shack not long before the pandemic.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
This thread appropriate video came up in my recommendations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qStFDcZs5Og

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

When old f1 cars were called bath tubs full of gasoline, I don't think this is what they meant.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

When I worked at arinc, some dumbass 12yr old on a JFK to Rio flight drank a nasal spray trying to get drunk from it and he almost died despite being abeam SJU and landed like 15min later. Kids are dumb as gently caress

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'd vote one of the worst airports for food being SEA.

Everything is comically expensive, and the only slightly affordable options in the entire airport are Qdoba and McDonalds. Just before the pandemic, they opened a new food court that's actually local places, but as far as I can tell, half of the places there haven't reopened, and the ones that did are open about 15 minutes a day.

A couple years ago, they redid their central food court, and instead of putting in decent food, they simply replaced the overpriced seafood, italian, and asian restaurants with different chains serving the exact same food as the old tenants.

There's supposed to be a Subway opening, but since it's been "coming soon" for a bit over two years now (with zero work being done) I'm pretty sure it's a money laundering operation for the Russian mob or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Agreed on SEA having terrible options.

I had to grab a soda back in mid-March because it was early and I needed a caffeine fix because my McD iced coffee fell and spilled on the carpet outside my D Gate, so after doing my best to salvage the situation with my wad of napkins I sidled up to the nearest food vendor and grabbed a 20oz Mountain Dew.

Four bucks and change. The only reason I didn't say anything was that the clerk at the register had a pretty decent cough. And it's not like she sets the prices.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

karoshi posted:

This thread appropriate video came up in my recommendations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qStFDcZs5Og

That is a really nice vid about a craft process.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
PHL is loving garbage. Complete loving garbage.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Phanatic posted:

PHL is loving garbage. Complete loving garbage.

And the airport isn’t great either.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
For those who don't visit the chat thread or forget that this thread is actually in AI!

:siren: Annoying AI:Secret Santa Reminder :siren:

I’m going to keep bothering ya’ll until I get at least 50 signups.

There are a multitude of prizes to be won this year, including actual honest to god single malt scotch whisky.

Come along, celebrate our great forum and have some fun.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thomamelas posted:

I hike to the one in CLT. Although CLT also got a Shake Shack not long before the pandemic.

Hold up, what? Where?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Only food I remember in SEA was the delta lounge and the food was shockingly good. I remember it was some Thai food and was absolutely fantastic.

The bar was pretty good too.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

US airports just plain suck.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
PDX is the only good US airport. Easy to navigate, good shops, good food.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LibCrusher posted:

MSP is better than PDX by those criteria.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LibCrusher posted:

Also has a great carpet and F-15s

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Warbird posted:

Hold up, what? Where?

The Smashburger is in terminal A. And it's way the gently caress out there. Not terminal E out there but it's a bit of a hike. The Shake Shack is in D in the food court kind of area.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

The Smashburger is in terminal A. And it's way the gently caress out there. Not terminal E out there but it's a bit of a hike. The Shake Shack is in D in the food court kind of area.

A is the newest one, yes? It’s a been a minute since I’ve been through. Iirc D is where the Whiskey River place was with the amazing carpet.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Warbird posted:

A is the newest one, yes? It’s a been a minute since I’ve been through. Iirc D is where the Whiskey River place was with the amazing carpet.

A is the one for every airline who isn't American. I forget which terminals have been refurbed in what order.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Munin posted:

That is a really nice vid about a craft process.

See also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxvoDbZpoY8

for some really cool explanations of aerodynamic principles by the same guy, Mike Arnold, as he talks about why the AR-5 he designed and built is so fast (for its weight class).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

MSP is better than PDX by those criteria.

MSP was laid out by gophers and it shows, gate-to-gate is absurdly complicated

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

US airports just plain suck.

Whose airports don't suck? LHR sucks. FRA sucks. DEL sucks. GIG sucks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phanatic posted:

With the exception of *that one gate*, DCA is actually a really good airport for ~passenger experience~......it's just a terrible airport for pilots.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the exception of *that one gate*, DCA is actually a really good airport for ~passenger experience~......it's just a terrible airport for pilots.

And that one gate is in the process of being killed. And the &Pizza there isn't awful.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
DCA is poo poo!! Dark cramped warren of passages without enough food or places to sit. Gimme Dulles all day every day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

its crowded as gently caress and the catering sucks, and there's always long waits for takeoff, plus 35X is a portal to hell and then you get on a AA regional jet

Modern Asian airports are good. That's about it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the exception of *that one gate*,
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

DCA has no business being a hub of any kind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

CDG sucks so much it makes other airports retroactively better.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I like ALB because it has an observation deck that's before security so you can just walk in and watch the planes land and take off. My kid loved it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Phanatic posted:

AMS, HKG, SIN, SFO, RDU are my favs. DEN but only when connecting. MUC isn’t bad either.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
RDU (terminal 2 at least) is pretty good in the way that newer small airports tend to be: laid out logically, too small to be truly annoying, but plenty of space for modern needs. The food's really the only downside, there's plenty of decent options but no big-name standouts.

efb

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The Harvey milk terminal in sfo is amazing and should be the blueprint for all new airport terminals. It's beautiful, big and quiet. Plenty of room to spread out, good food options and whoever chose the art in that place did an excellent job.

Also want to shout out my home airport ABQ. It's one of the few terminals that almost perfectly encapsulates the region in which it resides. It's great at telling you that you're in the old southwest

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Kona (PHKO) is also adorable af

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Seoul international is just great. CLT is decent, the newer renovated terminals are quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

LibCrusher posted:

Good carpet too.

Phanatic posted:

Tegel was great on a quiet day.