Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was a good episode.

Next week: Neo Devimon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So about those V-Tamer licensing issues...

Look, all I'm saying is there's a ghost of a chance for Regulumon.

Also LOL at Were Garurumon getting a Gundam backpack for his Perfect.5 form. I also point out seriously we're now 2 for 2 for the alt mode Perfects coming from the partners being poisoned by, and then overcoming the miasma. Curious if that carry that on. Attempting to do that in the future deliberately to power up might be an interesting way to get a dark evolution like Mugendramon.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 1, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
WereGarurumon, buddy, who the gently caress did you piss off, oh my God

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m beginning to wonder if the miasma isn’t some form of the X-Programme given how the Side Evolutions are taking from the X formes of Metal Greymon and Ware Garurumon. Maybe the holy Digimon were being tricked (or told, Poundland YHVH and all) into administering it and Devimon is a fallen holy digimon (Hence “old friend” and “salvation” to Patamon) that corrupted the x-programme to his own ends.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
DA:LEK talk got me curious so I gave it a watch. LMAO I can see why some people hate it so much.

It’s basically an incredible mixed bag of a movie that offers some decent character moments and pretty good animation but then ruins it all by going all-in on a bafflingly stupid thematic foundation/metaphor that basically says once you hit college you are now a complete and fully formed person with nothing left to learn so you need to stop watching cartoons and grow up you nerd! It’s basically calling Digimon fans out for still caring for the franchise as adults and is either asking them to put the franchise away or predicting they will do so on their own.

Also it makes this point in such a way that makes everything else about the movie stupider constantly.

For example why does Matt *have* to give up Gabumon? The movie presents it as if having a Digimon around (a metaphor for watching the show itself) is incompatible with a job or family and that trying to keep that connection going is in some way inherently immature. It even has a little scene showing this by having Matt leave Gabumon behind with TK for the day. But this conflict only exists because the themes and metaphors say it must. In reality everybody seems to already know what Digimon are and that the kids saved the world, so why wouldn’t Matt’s boss/teacher let him keep his Digimon in his cubicle or something? Hell, I’m pretty sure Izzy is doing that RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW! It’s a lovely character moment that only exists to make a lovely thematic point and boy howdy is DA:LEK full of these.

Which is too bad because aside from that I guess I didn’t hate it? It was a touch on the slow side but I really liked a lot of the little character bits and some of the animation (particularly the background art) on display was genuinely gorgeous. Unfortunately though that’s only so much of the movie. Oh well there’s still the reboot I guess.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 1, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The movie also fails under its own internal logic. The Digimon bond is supposed to break when the Chosen's future has been decided for them and they lose "infinite possibilities". But Taichi and Yamato still haven't figured out what they want to do with their lives. Meanwhile, Joe and Koushirou, who are actually people with JOBS, are well behind them?

It makes no drat sense.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

That’s because they are. They’re basically Vita game ports. I will also admit that the fanservice in the female characters is very overdone. Apparently, only women in the police force can have shirts that aren’t vacuum-sealed.

The most frustrating thing about this is how literally unnecessary it is, you'd expect a character like that to be the designated "Ms.Fanservice", but there's nothing of the sort and no character ever reacts or mentions she's a walking wardrobe malfunction, at most a couple of guys say she's pretty and that's that.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cyber Sleuth is more progressive than like 90% of video games just because of the early game side quest that discusses how it’s pretty hosed up that this virtual world doesn't have non-binary options for avatar creation. Though yeah, the character designer for the game does kinda suck imo.

That was cool, and it was a nice touch they bothered to have them use a male avatar with a female voice just for one battle quip, although it's also one of many examples that shows there were many writers on board and not enough communication. It's a plot point that there is no "avatar creation" at all and the cyber world forces you to use your real world appearance in it and the only way to alter it is using hacking tools.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

E: Cyber Sleuth also probably has the strongest female cast out of any Digimon property. Designs aside I think the game treats its characters pretty well and Nokia and Kyoko are definitely among the best characters in the series.

Agreed, I also add the character designs to the "lack of communication" problem. It was funny choosing the female MC and seeing Arata there with the rest of the cast like an opposite version of the "token girl" character in superhero groups.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

That was a good episode.

Next week: Neo Devimon!

Could we start distinguishing spoilers from the episode itself and from the preview of the next one? I really didn't want to know this :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Petiso posted:

Could we start distinguishing spoilers from the episode itself and from the preview of the next one? I really didn't want to know this :(

My bad. I'll be careful from now on.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gotta say, it was pretty rad how SkullKnightmon countered the protagonists's power-up bullshit with his own Digivolution sequence. :v: It's also very interesting to note that Weregarurumon got his Blue Sagittarius power-up out of his own desire to protect Yamato and Takeru, so it's cool that they're having some character development for the Digimon themselves. With that said, Weregarurumon being unable to finish off DarkKnightmon was a really weird way to debut his power-up, though I'm guessing it's because Calamaramon's data transfer is powering up the bad guys, which tracks given what happened to Eyesmon. At least this way the other kids have a very important contribution to the upcoming fight and aren't just there to job to Devimon.

Edit: Oh, and props to Takeru for being the littlest badass ever. This smol baby is loving hardcore!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He'll be tanking Ken's whip and smaking that brat upside the head in no time! :v:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 1, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
WereGarurumon is the most cursed Digimon in the franchise

And we have Leomon in here too for fucks sake

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Goddamn this show is getting brutal.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

He almost had an impressive showing. Isn't that enough?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That was a good episode.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Some Numbers posted:

That was a good episode.

Show is good when they slow down a bit and take the time to breathe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm kind of shocked how much I like Takeru. He's a headstrong kid who doesn't listen to Yamato much, but he's had the right instinct more often than not.

Large improvement from OG Adventure.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the reboot a lot but the pacing of the show is super wonky and it feels like there's missing connective tissue in places. The current arc is actually a pretty good example because they go immediately from Devimon separating the kids to confronting Devimon on his home turf with no downtime in between to ease the tension a bit. In a better paced show (like the original DA, actually) there would be a few episodes of them hunting down his castle where you can get to know TK a bit and explore the new group dynamics before jumping into the climax.

There's also a lot of very weak character motivations in play, particularly the villains. For example we know that the bad digimon are trying to infiltrate the real world to do damage but... why? What does blowing up a bunch of random poo poo on another world gain them? and why are the individual Digimon like skullknightmon personally invested in this project? The creators may actually have answers to this but we're now over 20 episodes in and about to fight the big bad and we still haven't been told so it feels like they are doing bad stuff because the plot needs stakes in order to happen.

Still enjoying the show though. It's one of the few bright spots of 2020.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm kind of shocked how much I like Takeru. He's a headstrong kid who doesn't listen to Yamato much, but he's had the right instinct more often than not.

Personally I find the older series's TK's development from "the group baby" to "the powerhouse/voice of experience" in 02 and beyond to be much more interesting, albeit not perfectly executed. The current version is fine and I like him but it seems like he's already fully developed as a person and doesn't really have anything left to learn once he gets Patomon back which could make him a drag in the long run. It's too early to say for certain though.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 1, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

readingatwork posted:

There's also a lot of very weak character motivations in play, particularly the villains. For example we know that the bad digimon are trying to infiltrate the real world to do damage but... why? What does blowing up a bunch of random poo poo on another world gain them? and why are the individual Digimon like skullknightmon personally invested in this project? The creators may actually have answers to this but we're now over 20 episodes in and about to fight the big bad and we still haven't been told so it feels like they are doing bad stuff because the plot needs stakes in order to happen.

They've actually explained it better than previous series. The human world gives them power and they evolve further, and Devimon is tempting Digimon to his side with promises of power. Leomon said as much in his introductory episode, and it's shown through stuff like the chaos in the human world evolving Digimon like Eyesmon further, as well as in this very episode when Devimon uses what's going on with the tankers to evolve SkullKnightmon into DarkKnightmon.

As for DEVIMON'S reasons, well, I imagine that'll get laid out further as we learn more about what's really going on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

WereGarurumon Sagittarius Mode

A form that acquired "Sagittarius", mobility equipment that makes up for the agility that it lost when it evolved from Garurumon. It has gained firepower, in addition to high-speed movement and the ability to fly thanks to the Sagittarius' booster function. Its loyal personality hasn't changed, and it has developed into a more reliable battlefield professional that rescues its master in any predicament. Its Special Moves are luring its target into battle situations that it specializes in with its "Kaus-slugger", in which a sharp blade emitted from the Sagittarius heads toward the enemy while forming an arc, and "Alnas Shot", a double laser cannon that accurately picks off their vitals.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Koshiro calling WereGarurumon's clothes "cool" is the weirdest moment in all of Digimon. That is very much not cool, you have bad taste.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently we have comfirmation that BigMamemon and WaruSeaDramon will be appearing in Colon, will be the anime debut for the latter

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Koshiro calling WereGarurumon's clothes "cool" is the weirdest moment in all of Digimon. That is very much not cool, you have bad taste.

cant believe the twist that this show is actually taking place in 1999 the whole time is real

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Burkion posted:

He had that one fight with Myotismon where he did better than anyone beforehand did. Granted, it was basically just Myotismon playing with him before Angemon showed up, but still.

Some Numbers posted:

Agreed. Way better than the crybaby he was in the original or the mostly bland background outside of the few times he got to be straight up savage in 02.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey man, those mecha wings are very fashionable in werewolf circles. And those jeans were recommended by Gargomon.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 2, 2020

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Well Weregarurumon did blast Myotismon into that building with his wolf claw. That looked like it bothered him more than when he whipped aside Metalgreymon's missiles and laughed in his face.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Folder Continent Report, this time Virus Busters.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1323505356581048321

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

wuggles posted:

Question, people keep talking up Cyber Sleuth. I’ve played a few chapters on PS4 and now on Switch, and it’s cool, but not great yet. When does it really get going?

I just finished Cyber Sleuth (well, almost, I have the extra challenge missions after the story is over to do) and I thought it was decent fun but not great. A section in the Digital World would have been nice, all the female designs are awful (especially the girl wearing the hoodie that's unzipped just where her breasts are and she's wearing a bathing suit top) and there were some real bad design decisions in the missions that meant running around to the same areas to talk to someone in order to launch the mission, running back to the office to accept the mission, then running back to where the original guy was to talk to him again so the mission can begin. Just total busywork.

It was still fun because the digimon designs are great the level designs are pretty cool (they waste some really colorful areas that only show up once though, and a lot of time is spent running around a less interesting repetitive blue area.)

I'm starting to play Hackers Memory which has lower stakes but maybe some design improvements over the original, and so far the female character designs are less horrendous.

It really reminded me of the game Devil Survivor 2, a SMT spinoff. Just look at the cover of the DS game to see how even the female character design philosophy is the same.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 3, 2020

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
It's the same artist. Suzuhito Yasuda.

Edit: Unless that's what you meant and I read your post wrong.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 3, 2020

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Fun fact about that, when HM first released someone photoshopped the Devil Survivor 2 MC into a promotional pic replacing Arata to joke about how similar they looked like, Google Image Search picked up that image and now several videogame review sites still use it for the game.

https://www.gameskinny.com/vh5r4/how-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-was-a-franchise-turning-point

https://wccftech.com/review/digimon-story-hackers-memory/

https://ulvespill.net/?p=3284

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/reviews/analisis-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-185958

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm awake watching Digimon at 3 AM and I just realized that in any season where the chosen ones are in the digital world, it's a magical girl anime in reverse.

Beings with mystical powers from another world show up, with the ability to grant incredible strength and the ability to transform to the young, heroic children they've chosen as their partners.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This thread calling WereGarurumon cursed when Seraphimon exists I stg

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

This thread calling WereGarurumon cursed when Seraphimon exists I stg

More than one Digimon can be cursed

This is like the one time Seraphimon might not eat poo poo tho. Some how they're making the Angemon line even more important than season 1

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The first thing Angemon does is glow a bit and then die

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also I don’t want to live in a world where Seraphimon succeeds at something

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not even in V-Tamer, where Leomon survives, can Seraphimon accomplish anything and not get destroyed.

Seraphimon only exists to be owned.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The one time Seraphimon is a powerhouse is a fight against him, Ophanimon, and Cherubimon in the offline arena in Cyber Sleuth. That fights loving tough on hard

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

The one time Seraphimon is a powerhouse is a fight against him, Ophanimon, and Cherubimon in the offline arena in Cyber Sleuth. That fights loving tough on hard

God I just went through that with Armageddamon, Omnimon Zwart and Apocalymon

It was a straight up battle of attrition but once I got him down the other two couldn't keep up

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

God I just went through that with Armageddamon, Omnimon Zwart and Apocalymon

It was a straight up battle of attrition but once I got him down the other two couldn't keep up

Status End is a super useful move/status effect because it turns off the abilities that give passive regen. It still ends up being a big battle of attrition though

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I need this too much to put into words.
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1324148233380065280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I want to get the Imperialdramon, but this also looks super rad