Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
3 really massive beefsteak tomatoes, the only two glass corn that made it but as you can see clearly ginormous, and one of the only successful things this year... unplanned cucurbita everywhere

Trying for Aji charapita year 3.. so close. They're inside dropping leaves now so it's not looking good

Nailed it! I did get er jing tiao peppers and a couple szechuan varieties from mala market per recs in this thread so onwards!

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Talk hoses to me. I came really close to buying a Flexzilla, but the pictures of mold covered hoses on their amazon page scared me off. Which hoses are worth buying? I'm interested in durability.

Are hose reels as damaging as I've been told they are? I've always been raised to do the reverse loop coil method for storage.

I think we talked about this recently, but if you get one of the not-super-cheap expandable hoses you can just not worry about how you're looping it. Some people seem to constantly break even the better ones but I have rather high water pressure and haven't had any issues, even with a 100' that sees regular use.

I would be interested in what nozzles people have had good experiences with. After a number of the cheap ones breaking on me almost immediately I got one these which seems very durable so far but even on the spritziest setting I have enough water pressure to annihilate plants unless I gently caress around with the extra valves I have attached to control the flow.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Nailed it! I did get er jing tiao peppers and a couple szechuan varieties from mala market per recs in this thread so onwards!

That Aji charapita fruit looks uhh, well. Some years just blow.

I’d put the erjingtiao on a similar schedule to jalapeños in that they seem to get robust pretty quickly (65-80 days if I guessed). Good luck with them, they’re great quality to cook with too. They also just got a new shipment this week of lots of things stuck in customs, so maybe you’ll even get this year’s pods.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jhet posted:

That Aji charapita fruit looks uhh, well. Some years just blow.

I’d put the erjingtiao on a similar schedule to jalapeños in that they seem to get robust pretty quickly (65-80 days if I guessed). Good luck with them, they’re great quality to cook with too. They also just got a new shipment this week of lots of things stuck in customs, so maybe you’ll even get this year’s pods.

Im sure you know what they are supposed to look like but for anyone else. We tried and got close, but operator error on starting on time combined with a bummer end of the season cool spell cest la vie. The garden haul represented 2020 so far very well. There were sooo many blossoms too. I'm super excited for the er jing tiao good tips they smell incredible!

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 26, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Im sure you know what they are supposed to look like but for anyone else. We tried and got close, but operator error on starting on time combined with a bummer end of the season cool spell cest la vie. The garden haul represented 2020 so far very well. There were sooo many blossoms too. I'm super excited for the er jing tiao good tips they smell incredible!

My cayenne plants were full of green fruits that I had to pull too. I think it’s just that kind of year. We had about a month of smoke from all of the wildfires (take your pick), and they just never ripened. I had some strange smoke burn or something on some of the cherry tomatoes too. At least I got a bunch of mediocre tasting random Thai variety. The squirrels have effectively dug up about half of my fall planting too, so I’m eating boring crap from the store all autumn until I get basement peppers (my Aji charapita is fruiting), so it’s possible and you might get something if you can keep it happy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

3 really massive beefsteak tomatoes, the only two glass corn that made it but as you can see clearly ginormous, and one of the only successful things this year... unplanned cucurbita everywhere

Trying for Aji charapita year 3.. so close. They're inside dropping leaves now so it's not looking good

You might have only got 2 ears of it, but that corn is really beautiful.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jhet posted:

My cayenne plants were full of green fruits that I had to pull too. I think it’s just that kind of year. We had about a month of smoke from all of the wildfires (take your pick), and they just never ripened.

Exactly. Everything just stalls

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You might have only got 2 ears of it, but that corn is really beautiful.

Aw thanks! It was a real pleasure to peel past all the aphids and see that lol. I'm sure yall get it but that corn is like 4 inches long

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Size isn't everything.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I live in a city in New England. I have an approx 4 by 6 plot of gardening land in the backyard. The soil is completely hosed and void of any nutrients. This fall I planted Daikon and Fava Beans (radish/beans) I'm hoping the Nitrogen pulling beans and composting radishes (I plan not to pull them) along with keeping and leaves and such on the soil, will be enough to at least get activity in this otherwise dead garden.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zaepg posted:

I live in a city in New England. I have an approx 4 by 6 plot of gardening land in the backyard. The soil is completely hosed and void of any nutrients. This fall I planted Daikon and Fava Beans (radish/beans) I'm hoping the Nitrogen pulling beans and composting radishes (I plan not to pull them) along with keeping and leaves and such on the soil, will be enough to at least get activity in this otherwise dead garden.

Don’t be afraid to add a few bags of steer manure to that. 2-4 should do it, they’re around a buck each and are usually a 1:1 mixture of aged manure and compost. Tons of nutrients and organic matter there and it will make a huge deal. It’s cheap, so if you decide to mix in even more it shouldn’t be an issue.

I add 1-2 bags to each of my beds each year to kind of top things up and it’s a massive help.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got any tips for identifying what's loving up my tomatoes?

Here's my indigo rose plant:

And one of my black cherry tomatoes:

I'm new to this and can't tell if it's sun damage, but it doesn't look white enough to be sun. Fungus? Bugs?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

kumba posted:

Anyone got any tips for identifying what's loving up my tomatoes?

Here's my indigo rose plant:

And one of my black cherry tomatoes:

I'm new to this and can't tell if it's sun damage, but it doesn't look white enough to be sun. Fungus? Bugs?

Leaf miner of some sort, I'd guess

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Is it only on lower leaves? Could be caused by soil borne microbes kicked up by heavy rain combined with low airflow. I am now removing all foliage below 10 cm above the soil on small plants and higher than that on taller ones.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CancerCakes posted:

Is it only on lower leaves? Could be caused by soil borne microbes kicked up by heavy rain combined with low airflow. I am now removing all foliage below 10 cm above the soil on small plants and higher than that on taller ones.

Ooooh this could be it. It's overwhelmingly on the lower leaves and it rains hard as hell here in central FL so I'm sure there's splash. I'll look into trimming more, thanks!!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

kumba posted:

Ooooh this could be it. It's overwhelmingly on the lower leaves and it rains hard as hell here in central FL so I'm sure there's splash. I'll look into trimming more, thanks!!

I trim up to one node below my first fruit and leave that. Most Ag splashes I read on indeterminate recommend something similar. It seems like 2-3:1 leaf:fruit branch is optimal for fruiting with more not leading to increased harvests.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Someone up thread talked about "grow your nutrition, buy your calories". I've been experimenting with dried beans and so far, can confirm.

The advice I've had was to leave them dry in the field. Unfortunately I left them too long, the rain hit, and I lost some of the pods to mold and fungus. Ended up with 3.5 kgs. of dried beans out of 5 metres/15 feet of intensively planted bed.

The summer seems to have been too damp and overcast for the light red kidney beans to develop properly. Harvested a bunch but they're half the size of the beans I planted and barely recognizable as the same variety. Black Turtle, Taylor Horticultural (Cranberry) and an old hippy heritage variety called Providence did much better under these conditions.

I think in future I'll continue to futze around with some of these lesser known varieties and go out and buy a 20kg sack of red kidney beans for the pantry.

Made a threshing box by putting cleats in the bottom of a long wood box I had. Put the dried pods in, shuffle back and forth with your feet for a few passes, then blow the chaff out with the air compressor. Definitely a hobby, not a way to save time or money.

Dried peas worked much better last year. Unfortunately due to an exposure when she was sick as a child my wife has an aversion to pea soup, it makes her nauseous. :barf:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got a pumpkin from my SO's sister in september, she'd grown a bunch over summer and they got surprisingly large. Never had pumpkin before to the best of my knowledge, not a common food in Finland...

We're wondering if we can use the insides, it has sat outside since early september, we've had cool temps and even snow and below freezing for a while, seems to have weathered it well. Figure a pumpkin is one of those foods that store well for a long time. I harvested the insides and turned the rest into a jack-o-lantern:

Wanna try to make a pumpkin pie. Never had that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Every year I look forward to saving the seeds and roasting then with salt and pepper mmmm

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pumpkin pie is made from the cooked, pureed flesh (the solid part under the rind) of a sweet winter squash--large carving pumpkins are often more water than anything else and not actually suited to cooking. The "guts" you scooped out (stringy pulpy interior) are not good for anything I am aware of, other than separating out the seeds and baking those.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Dr. Chaco posted:

Pumpkin pie is made from the cooked, pureed flesh (the solid part under the rind) of a sweet winter squash--large carving pumpkins are often more water than anything else and not actually suited to cooking. The "guts" you scooped out (stringy pulpy interior) are not good for anything I am aware of, other than separating out the seeds and baking those.

Yep. I make several pumpkin pies every year and I've never made one from a fresh pumpkin. But when I carve pumpkins I do always try to save and roast the seeds, they're great.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Thirding the save the seeds recommendation. Toss them in melted butter with salt (I really like seasoned salt) and roast until they look toasty.

Pie from a raw pumpkin is loving work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got a pumpkin from my SO's sister in september, she'd grown a bunch over summer and they got surprisingly large. Never had pumpkin before to the best of my knowledge, not a common food in Finland...

We're wondering if we can use the insides, it has sat outside since early september, we've had cool temps and even snow and below freezing for a while, seems to have weathered it well. Figure a pumpkin is one of those foods that store well for a long time. I harvested the insides and turned the rest into a jack-o-lantern:

Pumpkins do store very well, but you don’t use the membrane and seeds in pie. You use the flesh like other winter squash. I like to roast mine, but I’m not sure how good that one would be for pie. Some can be really tough and lack flavor, especially the varieties grown for decoration. You can still use them for pie, but it won’t taste as strongly. You can sub butternut squash for pumpkin too if you can find that easier. It’ll have a better flavor and good texture.

That’s a good looking pumpkin too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Change the thread title to “actually a blend of winter squash”.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So is there a point after a pothos clipping has been in water for so long that it won't be able to be transferred to soil? We've got one that's been in water for uhh probably close to two months, idk what time is, just wondering if I could stick the sucker in soil.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The longer plants like that stay in water the worse the transplant shock as a rule of thumb.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

The longer plants like that stay in water the worse the transplant shock as a rule of thumb.

This is true. Except I’ve only seen someone kill a pothos once, and it hadn’t been watered in over a year. Those things will bounce back, it may just take a little longer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mischief posted:

Jhet posted:

This is true. Except I’ve only seen someone kill a pothos once, and it hadn’t been watered in over a year. Those things will bounce back, it may just take a little longer.

Yeah this is also what I've read, and also that pothos will survive the nuclear apocalypse.

This one barely survived my cats, trying to get one back into a pot instead of our mason jar drinking glasses... I'll see how the second one does and probably try to repot that one instead of the OG. Thanks y'all!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Hoo boy, it finally got cold enough to bring my plants in and as this is the first year I've been really into gardening, I was not prepared! Every window is crammed full and I still have more to find places for.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

So is there a point after a pothos clipping has been in water for so long that it won't be able to be transferred to soil? We've got one that's been in water for uhh probably close to two months, idk what time is, just wondering if I could stick the sucker in soil.

fwiw I had some clippings in water for like 8 months, potted them 1 month ago, and they seem fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

showbiz_liz posted:

Hoo boy, it finally got cold enough to bring my plants in and as this is the first year I've been really into gardening, I was not prepared! Every window is crammed full and I still have more to find places for.

I have an old IKEA IVAR loaded up with houseplants stuck in front of a window. So many propagates I’ve produced during quarantine...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I can't get over how much these guys don't know when to give up. It's November. It's dark and cold. We're past chestnuts and into the last of the walnuts now. Leaves are falling. Soon it'll be freezing. I'm used to wrapping everything up in the second half of September.

At least this guy is indoors near a radiator.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Harvested the sweet potatoes today. Got a frost on Sunday night that killed the vines so we figured it was time. Got four sweet potatoes.

New question is with raised beds do we need to plant more than one plant per bed? I have five beds and was hoping to do onions, peppers, carrots, peas, and strawberries. One for each bed. But my partner thinks there’s supposed to be more than one plant in a bed. I’m no so sure. Anyone with more knowledge?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Either way is fine. Depends how much space you have and how much of something you want. If you mix, just don’t plant two crops that will compete for the space and light and give you a bad yield because of it. Rotating crop seasons is also useful when doing more than one in the same bed.

I’ve had good luck with carrots and peas next to each other before, but I’ve not mixed anything directly with peppers except spring greens because I like to pack them in to take all the space. The peas are about done when the carrots start to take over well enough. But people mix and match in square foot gardening all the time. Just make sure you’re giving them space and sun that they need.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
We're in Zone 8 Maritime. Our main problem is keeping our sweetpotatoes warm enough to produce well. I don't think growing other plants in the same bed would work well in our situation - they might get smothered early on while they're getting started and later in the season if they're doing well they'll smother everything else. To get good results we need to use black plastic mulch which would be a pain to plant through if you were intercropping.

We have 8 plants in a 4'x10' bed, spaced 24" between the plants. It would probably work to plant one or two plants in black plastic at the south end of each bed, allowing enough space for the vegetation to spread later in the summer. I don't think I'd plant strawberries in the same bed unless you're into weeding with extreme prejudice although it would be interesting to see the two in vine to vine combat.

We just brought ours in last week, now I need to find a way to cure a laundry basket of the things. Can't leave them anywhere close to the floor otherwise the dog will steal them.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Jhet, good to know. We've got five beds; 3x 3'x'5 beds, one 3'x6', and one 3'x7'. I know it's a lot of space, but it doesn't feel like a lot of space. For example we can probably get 12 pepper plants in one of the 3'x5's. Which for two people who do this as a hobby is a lot.

Hexigrammus, your dog is adorable. You have a lot more space to grow than us.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Earth posted:

Jhet, good to know. We've got five beds; 3x 3'x'5 beds, one 3'x6', and one 3'x7'. I know it's a lot of space, but it doesn't feel like a lot of space. For example we can probably get 12 pepper plants in one of the 3'x5's. Which for two people who do this as a hobby is a lot.

Hexigrammus, your dog is adorable. You have a lot more space to grow than us.

Depends on the peppers. I put around 50 plants in a 5x7 bed last year and they were prolific, it did fine with space. I put 12 tomatoes and a row of garlic in the same space and they did fine so long as they were pruned on schedule. So you can plant some things closer than you might think. Root veg tends to challenge that, and you can often stick herbs on edges where they won’t get shaded out. You have quite a lot of space, not enough to feed yourself for the year, but enough to keep you drowning in beans and peas and carrots and peppers and lettuce, and probably plenty of other things.

Plenty of space for plenty of plants. Should be a fun year of gardening for you.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Jhet posted:

Depends on the peppers. I put around 50 plants in a 5x7 bed last year and they were prolific, it did fine with space. I put 12 tomatoes and a row of garlic in the same space and they did fine so long as they were pruned on schedule. So you can plant some things closer than you might think. Root veg tends to challenge that, and you can often stick herbs on edges where they won’t get shaded out. You have quite a lot of space, not enough to feed yourself for the year, but enough to keep you drowning in beans and peas and carrots and peppers and lettuce, and probably plenty of other things.

Plenty of space for plenty of plants. Should be a fun year of gardening for you.

We only eat bell peppers so fewer than 50 plants I'd guess. We're not ones for too much spice. I used to love spice, but unfortunately age gave me a sensitive set of innards. This year was rough for the garden. We only got the three 3'x5's in July and got the last two finished in October. The ones in July we filled up right away and found out we aren't interested in growing zucchini or squash since squash bugs showed up and I just don't feel like dealing with them. Plus, when you squish them blue comes out and that is weird to watch.

The short of it is I hope to be sharing lots of photos next year.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Earth posted:

Harvested the sweet potatoes today. Got a frost on Sunday night that killed the vines so we figured it was time. Got four sweet potatoes.

New question is with raised beds do we need to plant more than one plant per bed? I have five beds and was hoping to do onions, peppers, carrots, peas, and strawberries. One for each bed. But my partner thinks there’s supposed to be more than one plant in a bed. I’m no so sure. Anyone with more knowledge?

One other thing to consider is that some plants do well when grown together, and some don't. I've always read that carrots and tomatoes grow well together, for example. There's a chart here: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/companion-planting-guide-31301 that looks reliable.

Like Jhet said, having a sense of how the plants will grow is also a good idea. I put some beans in two adjacent raised beds and the things ended up going haywire and shading out most of the other plants in the beds. I should have done a better job of training the vines and keeping them trimmed, but at least now I am getting a lot of beans despite pest damage. On that note, I have finally discovered what was chewing through my bean vines: rats. I've got a dozen or so insanely hot, dried habanero peppers, and I'm thinking about grinding them and mixing with water to spray on the vines every so often to dissuade them. I guess I should lay out some poison, but there are stray cats around and I am a weak-willed man when it comes to killing animals that I don't intend to eat.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rojay posted:

One other thing to consider is that some plants do well when grown together, and some don't. I've always read that carrots and tomatoes grow well together, for example. There's a chart here: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/companion-planting-guide-31301 that looks reliable.

Like Jhet said, having a sense of how the plants will grow is also a good idea. I put some beans in two adjacent raised beds and the things ended up going haywire and shading out most of the other plants in the beds. I should have done a better job of training the vines and keeping them trimmed, but at least now I am getting a lot of beans despite pest damage. On that note, I have finally discovered what was chewing through my bean vines: rats. I've got a dozen or so insanely hot, dried habanero peppers, and I'm thinking about grinding them and mixing with water to spray on the vines every so often to dissuade them. I guess I should lay out some poison, but there are stray cats around and I am a weak-willed man when it comes to killing animals that I don't intend to eat.

The rats intend to eat you, so it's self defense. You shouldn't need the habanero to spray, regular vinegar hot sauce might work, but I doubt it. They never completely left my superhots alone, though they preferred the tomatoes and my compost. Rats are nasty buggers and don't learn to leave things alone. At least put out traps. I've had to deal with rats before, and you're just going to need a backbone about them because they reproduce fast enough to be a problem. Thankfully the feral cats kept them under control okay, and the city put out poison traps too where it never got to the point of me having to put anything out. Rats are not particularly great are are disease carriers and destructive. Unless you can control the population it's not worth loosing sleep over and I much prefer dealing with mice (as long as they stay out of the house).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Hello garden goons, I have basil that I grew from cuttings a couple weeks ago, which has some curling and incomplete leaves. I haven't been able to find any pests, so I suspect it's some kind of soil problem, which I'd like to diagnose because I hope to get some more use from this bag of premixed potting soil soon.

Some of them are relatively more mild.

This one is the worst off:

From googling around it seems like the most likely problems are excess fertilizer or insufficient calcium. Should I try amending the soil? Just get/make a new potting mix?