Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Societal issues do not exist, structural problems are not real. All problems are down to the individual.

E: Like, man I don't want to actually write about how the story is critical of societal issues and the like when the way we're told about Toga's backstory is with someone using it to say "Wow, this is a great example of how the way people treat some quirks has really messed someone up."

It's just actual text.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Societal issues do not exist, structural problems are not real. All problems are down to the individual.

That's not really what I said, at all, in the least, but okay?

There are absolutely huge structural problems in MHA society, but if MHA society can accept someone whose superpower is "turns people into body horror flesh balls", it could accept someone like Toga. The difference is that body horror flesh ball kid's parents apparently didn't psychologically abuse him until he snapped and turned into a murderer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think this society is perfect. If not, how would AFO have been able to take control of it?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I think this society is perfect. If not, how would AFO have been able to take control of it?

By punching the hardest. Same thing All Might did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oh jay posted:

By punching the hardest. Same thing All Might did.

Ah, the classic shonen solution. Beams and punches, the solution to all life's problems.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

This is backwards, AfO was highly influential in the formation of the current society of Japan, and that’s why it is perfect.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

That's not really what I said, at all, in the least, but okay?

There are absolutely huge structural problems in MHA society, but if MHA society can accept someone whose superpower is "turns people into body horror flesh balls", it could accept someone like Toga. The difference is that body horror flesh ball kid's parents apparently didn't psychologically abuse him until he snapped and turned into a murderer.

Given that Spinner had to deal with discrimination and such growing up, where you live is probably a factor too.

Also, Toga's quirk involves action and compulsion to act, not just appearance or the ability to do something (though even that gets at least some poo poo; Shinso had to grow up listening to everyone telling him that he has a villain's quirk and joking, or "joking", that they're afraid of him mind-controlling them, despite not actually doing so casually); at least some of society in this world is okay with/used to people who look different or have "weird" abilities, but that doesn't mean that people doing things that don't "fit in" will necessarily be accepted so easily. That's still a big assumption to make based on what we've seen.

Like, have we seen anything remotely comparable being done in open society and being accepted by people in the manga? Like, engaging in "deviant" or "gross" behavior in not just in public, but in ordinary places rather than something like hero activity or the sports festival?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
But the most important question of all, if Deku DID punch someone into red mist, who would it be?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Nejire is the traitor and she did it cause she hated aliens and Mirio

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is backwards, AfO was highly influential in the formation of the current society of Japan, and that’s why it is perfect.

But what about All Might's influence for the last 20+ years?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

But what about All Might's influence for the last 20+ years?

He only actually managed to directly fight All for One 5 years ago. Before that he was dismantling AfO’s empire, but the institutions don’t appear to have been changed in that time. Partially because they’ve tried to bury the existence of Japan’s Shadow Emperor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Given that Spinner had to deal with discrimination and such growing up, where you live is probably a factor too.

Also, Toga's quirk involves action and compulsion to act, not just appearance or the ability to do something (though even that gets at least some poo poo; Shinso had to grow up listening to everyone telling him that he has a villain's quirk and joking, or "joking", that they're afraid of him mind-controlling them, despite not actually doing so casually); at least some of society in this world is okay with/used to people who look different or have "weird" abilities, but that doesn't mean that people doing things that don't "fit in" will necessarily be accepted so easily. That's still a big assumption to make based on what we've seen.

Like, have we seen anything remotely comparable being done in open society and being accepted by people in the manga? Like, engaging in "deviant" or "gross" behavior in not just in public, but in ordinary places rather than something like hero activity or the sports festival?

There's some simple ways you could indulge Toga's quirk in a healthy way without inviting discrimination. She could hook up with someone who's okay with or into blood play, as suggested upthread. She could keep (willingly donated) blood on her in juice boxes or thermoses, basically the same way she keeps blood in her goofy blood-sucker rig right now. She could get a license and opt to work for a business that allows her to indulge her quirk in a consensual way(think about how useful having a talented athletic shapeshifter would be, in, say, acting or modeling). These solutions wouldn't require her to deny who she is or her needs; they would simply require her to respect the autonomy and agency of other people(instead of viewing them as enemies or potential blood bags). The problem is that Toga's current mental state, due to an entire childhood of repression, makes her believe that any form of patience or restraint is equivalent to full-on repression.

We've seen a fair number of heroes and heroes-to-be with potentially horrifying quirks who have used or tried to use them actively on other people in very public settings, but we haven't seen a lot of quirk usage in civilian society in either the main manga or in Vigilantes. That said, I'm skeptical that "completely normal looking girl who occasionally drinks a mystery drink out of a thermos" or "completely normal looking girl who gets a bit overzealous when exchanging a public display of affection with her significant other" is more likely to attract prejudice and discrimination than the various animal people or people with totally bizarre body types like Shoji.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Animal people are probably seen less villainous than bloodsucking that lets you shapeshift in the MHA world. Shinso had similar problems with how his quirk was seen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shinso has a substantially thornier problem to get around to with regards to people being afraid of him because the mechanics of his quirk are so easy and unrestrictive - he doesn't need to touch you or interact with you in any way, all he needs is for you to hear him speak, and there's no outward indication that he's using it on you. Once you know Shinso's quirk exists, you have to have absolute 100% trust in his morals and intentions at all times that you're around him, which is a big ask for acquaintances or strangers.

"That girl could temporarily shapeshift into me if I let her drink my blood, that's freaky as hell" is definitely a very possible prejudicial reaction, but there's a lot of much more dangerous quirks with much freakier possibilities and less onerous restrictions(Thirteen could literally suck my body into a black hole by pointing at me! Present Mic could permanently deafen me by yelling a little bit too loud in my direction!) that seem to have managed to live normally.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

And the shape shifting wasn’t what was causing the discrimination and repression, it was specifically Himiko’s fascination with blood that her parents told her to hide. Which we’ve seen that someone else with a likely similar interest was a successful member of society until he went bugfuck bonkers, Stain whose quirk also involves drinking blood possibly suffered similar interests/desires.

Heck, the home room teacher of 1B, Vlad King, has a quirk that allows him to control and manipulate blood.

The prejudice was literally Toga’s parents seeing that she has a fascination with blood and saying this is disgusting and inhuman.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They really missed some chances early on to show more of the world outside the school and how quirk society functions. Hell have Deku end up being friends with people with messed up quirks because scary quirks and the quirkless are both treated like outcasts or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

socialsecurity posted:

Hell have Deku end up being friends with people with messed up quirks because scary quirks and the quirkless are both treated like outcasts or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Horikoshi isn't joking, he has mentioned he has a Shouji arc in the can at some point, and the second movie even hints at it.

Chimera, a villain whose quirk literally makes him a chimera (wolf/snake/bird) hates society because it discriminated against him for how he looked. At one point during a fight he snatches up Shouji by the face and mentions that given his body and face covering his appearance must be frightening to other people, and he asks him if he ever regretted being born the way he was. You don't get an answer of course but there's a lot of little one-line mentions of other events from the manga and personal character arcs/etc. Shouji also mentions in the joint training arc that he's used to being feared because of how he looks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He says it in the meannest way, though!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I suspect Shouji straight up does not have a face under the mask, seeing as he talks by manifesting mouths on his arms.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

I suspect Shouji straight up does not have a face under the mask, seeing as he talks by manifesting mouths on his arms.
In his original design document he has a big lip-less maw that looks similar to Ectoplasm's.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 4, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I forget where it was said, but some side material said that he wears his mask because his face made some little girl cry when he was younger.

That reminds me of Gang Orca's character page that said he gets asked to speak at aquariums a lot because he knows so much about fish, but usually ends up scaring away the kids whenever he shows it. It really upsets him.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 4, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For real, Shinsou deserves more screen time. "Give him Mineta's spot in 1-A" has been a joke for years now, but it still rings true. Or hell, Horikoshi says Mineta's the most like him, which means he's probably not going anywhere, so quietly remove one of the nothing cast members instead. Is there anyone who'd actually mourn the loss of sugar rush guy? Everyone else in 1-A has some kind of at least potentially interesting quirk or personality trait. Dumb sugar strong man is just every other strong man but with an extremely linear and uninteresting limitation. (And Kaminari does the "his powers make him dumb" thing already.)

Sugarman is the Bruxish of My Hero Academia. Technically unique, but so forgettable and superfluous that I had to actually Google a list of forgettable Pokemon to remember it existed.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 4, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

When was the last time Fluttershy (Koda) did literally anything

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

At least he's potentially interesting. There's room for a character arc and cool usage of his powers there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vinylshadow posted:

He did a couple things in Heroes Rising.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Who the gently caress is Koda?

Seriously.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Talks to animals

E: Also lol UA is in the city of Musutafu. Hori you friggin' Star Wars nerd.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Seriously.

Dr. Does Little

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Seriously.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Seriously.

Easy, he sang the Part 5 OP

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sugar Man has no purpose (because Izuku does everything he does but better) and has no visual interest going for him (unlike Shoji or Koda.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hit half of class A with a bus and the story improves instantly

Mineta, tentacle man, sugar guy, Koda, tail guy, invisible girl, sero, they will not be missed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would miss Hagakure and Sero.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mineta being one of the most useful members of the class is still hilarious and Sero is part of the BakuSquad, they can stay.

Horikoshi really needs to remember what Tooru's actual power is.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, straight up do not remember that guy at all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hit half of class A with a bus and the story improves instantly

Mineta, tentacle man, sugar guy, Koda, tail guy, invisible girl, sero, they will not be missed

I'd miss most of those characters.

I never understood the mind set of wanting to remove half the class because they don't do much. If you think they don't do anything, then why would removing them change anything?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhonne posted:

I'd miss most of those characters.

I never understood the mind set of wanting to remove half the class because they don't do much. If you think they don't do anything, then why would removing them change anything?

Because child murder gives some people boners and if a character is not out of the background then they should be in a bodybag for "stakes"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Because child murder gives some people boners and if a character is not out of the background then they should be in a bodybag for "stakes"

Weird take but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

you're very weird for this