Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Hogan lost five times to Sting?

And each one was hilariously bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He's Hogan's worst opponent. Beat him several times and Hogan never got his win back. There's a short list of those people and some are post-WCW stunts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there a list of the best Eddie Kingston matches to watch? I only heard about the guy in passing before AEW but man I'm interested to see what he was doing before this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DLC Inc posted:

is there a list of the best Eddie Kingston matches to watch? I only heard about the guy in passing before AEW but man I'm interested to see what he was doing before this.

Best match he was ever involved in was ROH Death Before Dishonor '06 Cage of Death, the culmination of the ROH vs CZW feud but to be honest he's not a big part of that. But honestly, you should watch it but it's not exactly a King centric match.

Another multiman tag to check is the Chikara Cibernetico 2010 with a Chikara team against the BdK

Eddie Kingston vs Chris Hero, CZW Out With The Old from 2007, loser leaves town match.

More Kingston vs Hero, Last Man Standing match, IWAMS Ted Petty Invitational 2007 Night 2

Chikara High Noon, Quackenbush vs Eddie Kingston, finals of the 12 Large Title tournament.

Chikara Three-Fisted Tales, Kingston vs Claudio Castagnoli

Chikara The Great Escape, Kingston vs Sara Del Rey

Progress Natural Progression Series 6, Kingston, Ortiz & Santana vs Chris Brookes, Jordynne Grace & Jonathan Gresham

Rev Pro High Stakes 2020, Kingston vs LA Park

Heard some good things from wXw's 16 Carat Gold 2020 Night 1 match against Daniel Makabe but I haven't seen it myself.

Also want to say that the Eddie Kingston Larry Sweeney feud in Chikara from 2006 is worth watching but not really in the context of matches so much as the whole feud which was fun.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 6, 2020

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DLC Inc posted:

Here's a few of my favourites
Vs Chris Hero in CZW where the loser has to leave the promotion
Vs Mike Quackenbush to crown the first Chikara singles champion
Vs Claudio Castagnoli (now Cesaro) where the loser has to tell the winner he respects them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vs fred yehi aaw 2018
vs mark haskins aaw 2017
*vs ach aaw 2018* the austin tx show

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Eddie Kingston vs. Tim Donst at Chikara's Showdown in Crisisland (2007) is a match that's stayed with me for years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Honestly, the IWAMS match against Hero mentioned is up there with the Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher match for just most nasty brawl. You can tell Hero & Kingston loving hate each other & it rules.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

FakePoet posted:

I'm sure this is one of those things that most wrestling purists just kind of know off the top of their head, and I probably should considering I'm old enough to have seen most of it, but:

what is regarded as Hogan's best match? By whatever criteria you want to use.

Hogan vs Stan Hansen from 1990 is up there and could of been a template to keep Hogan matches fresh in the US. Hogan vs the Great Muta 1993 is also up there but it's also amusing for other reasons (Like Hogan calling the WWF title a toy)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kingston feels too drat real to have ever been a big part of CHIKARA. So weird.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

Kingston feels too drat real to have ever been a big part of CHIKARA. So weird.

I always thought of it as what it would be like if Bad News Brown was the top face during the Hogan Era.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The peak of Chikara to me is Eddie spending all that time calling Claudio an untrustworthy piece of poo poo, then that moment when the BDK unmasks as Ares and Quack immediately realizes Claudio is in on it and turns towards him and gets an uppercut and King's just like "I loving TOLD YOU SO!"

edit: Well that and Eddie trying to murder Lince Dorado for his own good.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 6, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that roh match against chris hero with the top rope piledriver through a guardrail

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
People also on the Three Fisted Tales card:
KUSIDA (facing a certain happy to be here high flyer Heilos)
Suge D
Mr. Brodie Lee
Uno and Grayson in singles matches (vs. Tim Donst and vs. Lince Dorado respectively)
Chuck Taylor (and also Icarus I guess) beating Quack and Skayde.
Fire Ant and Soldier Ant (I mean obviously, but given where they both are now it's fascinating)

Just a lot of interesting names from the perspective of current year.

STAC Goat posted:

The peak of Chikara to me is Eddie spending all that time calling Claudio an untrustworthy piece of poo poo, then that moment when the BDK unmasks as Ares and Quack immediately realizes Claudio is in on it and turns towards him and gets an uppercut and King's just like "I loving TOLD YOU SO!"

The fact that it happened the same night as the match where one of them had to say "I Respect You" to the other by stipulation was part of why the BDK entrance angle loving ruled.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Something I was thinking about today, that while WWE basically operates in its own little no other wrestling in the world after buying out WCW and ECW bubble, AEW has shown footage from CZW, PGW, House of Glory, and maybe some others, and acknowledges the wider wrestling world as such as part of many of their wrestlers' histories. With CZW being shown, and via their feud with ROH, and then the later official Chikara representation by Jigsaw and Hallowicked going for the ROH tag belts, does that mean AEW's Eddie Kingston's backfist could send someone hurtling through time?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this will happen on BTE

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

Eddie Kingston vs. Tim Donst at Chikara's Showdown in Crisisland (2007) is a match that's stayed with me for years.

This is one I always think about but haven't gone back to watch it in years because I'm not sure if it'll hold up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gavok posted:

I always thought of it as what it would be like if Bad News Brown was the top face during the Hogan Era.

what a better alternate history

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Saucer Crab posted:

does that mean AEW's Eddie Kingston's backfist could send someone hurtling through time?

He did this to RD Evans/Archibald Peck in Chikara, I think.

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is one I always think about but haven't gone back to watch it in years because I'm not sure if it'll hold up.

It does and Eddie's promos justifying that match are great.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is an arm drag like the first move wrestlers learn? It always felt like a very "fundamentals-ey" move to me and I see it in a lot of matches so I always kinda assumed it was a "week 1 of wrestling school" move.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

explosivo posted:

Is an arm drag like the first move wrestlers learn? It always felt like a very "fundamentals-ey" move to me and I see it in a lot of matches so I always kinda assumed it was a "week 1 of wrestling school" move.

For me or was headlock takeovers, dropdowns, leapfrogs, shoulder tackles, and some grappling. We constantly practiced three-quarter rolls which prep you for arm drags which we got to, but we learned how to move your own body in the right ways before combining it with another person.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always felt that way because you see even guest appearances by celebrities where they're doing arm drags if they're an athlete.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Starrcade 1997: The famous "fast count that is not a fast count and then Bret Hart restarts the match" win
Superbrawl VIII: Stinger wins the rematch thanks to a spurned Savage running in to attack Hogan while the ref is bumped
Fall Brawl 1999: Sting turns heel, taking a baseball bat from Lex Luger to attack Hogan while the ref is bumped (guess who had the SPAULDINGZ to book this turn)
Halloween Havoc 1999: Hogan comes out and GOES OFF THE FORMAT SHEET by lying down for a pin from Sting (see above)
Bound for Glory 2011: Hogan's last singles match to date, he loses the match (and 'control of TNA') but turns face post-match and helps Sting fight off a 7 v 2 attack

So he's been recorded as the loser in five singles matches against Sting, but the most generous interpretation is that he 'put Sting over' maybe twice, once in 2011

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
I've always wanted to explain the origin of "kayfabe" but wanted to have some sort of photographic proof.

Luckily, I found it in a movie called "she-freak" from 1967.

So, Kayfabe is sort of like strong bad from homestar runner saying "fqwdads" or Bart Simpsons saying "qwijibo" It's gibberish that means "dont drop your act, in the act."

This movie is about carnival carnys and the question it raises of "what actually is a sideshow freak?" is answered by the folks who run and work at those places acting like they do and dont. Eg the female lead is actually "ape girl"

This sign here is a bunch of chicken scratch at a diner where she and a strong man(I'm not sure what his "freak act" is, maybe sasquatch ) that doesnt read or say anything but simply represents "dont drop the act in the act."

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

CombineThresher posted:

He did this to RD Evans/Archibald Peck in Chikara, I think.

He did it multiple times I believe. First time was Archibald's Chikara debut in 2011 when Eddie backfisted him 2 years into the future. He then went back in time to feud with Colt Cabana, turned into Mixed Martial Archie during that feud, teamed with Colt before getting backfisted by Eddie again, this time to the past, when he became the Mysterious and Handsome stranger, got back into the then-present, unmasks after a year or so, faces Eddie for the title and gets backfisted to one year before and loses a Loser Leaves Town match. He then started walking the world all dejected and somehow ended up timetravelling in a DeLorean alongside 3.0. I'm definitely missing some details, but yeah, Eddie has sent Peck on one hell of a ride.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

CombineThresher posted:

It does and Eddie's promos justifying that match are great.

For those who don't know the match, the build behind it is that in a pre-world title era, all Eddie Kingston wants in Chikara is a match against Hallowicked. When he gets one, it's a no contest, but he keeps insisting on getting another. Management is reluctant. For this show, he's given a throwaway match against Tim Donst, a new guy with an amateur wrestling gimmick who has only had two prior matches at this point. Eddie is not happy about this and makes this known when doing commentary earlier in the night.

When the match happens, Kingston stiffly beats the everloving piss out of Donst. It would be a squash match, but he refuses to let the match end. At first, the crowd's into it because watching an indie wrestler work stiff is always a good time. Then it gradually turns into a Simpsons "STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD!" situation, where it's just uncomfortable. When Kingston decides to finally finish this, Donst starts defiantly kicking out. Everyone yells at him to stay down, but soon he starts fighting back and gives Kingston a real run for his money until Kingston decides the kid is more trouble than he's worth and finally puts him down.

It builds towards the eventual Kingston/Hallowicked match and immediately makes Donst someone for the fans to care about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Starrcade 1997: The famous "fast count that is not a fast count and then Bret Hart restarts the match" win
Superbrawl VIII: Stinger wins the rematch thanks to a spurned Savage running in to attack Hogan while the ref is bumped
Fall Brawl 1999: Sting turns heel, taking a baseball bat from Lex Luger to attack Hogan while the ref is bumped (guess who had the SPAULDINGZ to book this turn)
Halloween Havoc 1999: Hogan comes out and GOES OFF THE FORMAT SHEET by lying down for a pin from Sting (see above)
Bound for Glory 2011: Hogan's last singles match to date, he loses the match (and 'control of TNA') but turns face post-match and helps Sting fight off a 7 v 2 attack

So he's been recorded as the loser in five singles matches against Sting, but the most generous interpretation is that he 'put Sting over' maybe twice, once in 2011

He also lost by DQ on an early Nitro and went to a no contest with Sting the night after Starrcade.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

explosivo posted:

for me it was lots of chain wrestling, shoulder tackles, clotheslines, hip tosses, slams and then you'd learn stuff like arm drags but they are a pretty early on in there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ganso Bomb posted:

For me or was headlock takeovers, dropdowns, leapfrogs, shoulder tackles, and some grappling. We constantly practiced three-quarter rolls which prep you for arm drags which we got to, but we learned how to move your own body in the right ways before combining it with another person.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

for me it was lots of chain wrestling, shoulder tackles, clotheslines, hip tosses, slams and then you'd learn stuff like arm drags but they are a pretty early on in there.

This is cool, thanks for the insight!

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Sting also pinned Hogan in a cage match in Boston that was sold as an audio only internet PPV

http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/1998021p.htm

The servers went down so I’m not sure if anyone was able to listen to the show?

I still have my tickets for that show. I got them as a Christmas gift but none of my family would drive me to Boston so I didn’t get to go.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Here's a question.

What is, in your own opinion, the 'worst botch' in history, not in terms of people barely avoiding or being severely injured (so no Brock Lesnars at WM 19, no Sids jumping off the second ropes, no Hayabusas, this botch needs to have the person just with a bruise or fine), but in terms of "Man, if they'd landed that it would have looked really good'. Yes, watching poor Matt Sydal screw up his trademark move in his big return in his very first match for his very first in ring move put this in my head, but I have my own personal entry.

Summerslam 2001. RVD vs Jeff Hardy in a ladder match. RVD moves the ladder, Jeff is left hanging from the belt holder. RVD leaps up onto the ropes and TRIES to do a backwards airbourne roundhouse kick into Jeff, but he just can't manage enough momentum to reach him and falls short. If RVD had hit that move, it probably would be a highlight still being shown in video packages today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Here's a question.

What is, in your own opinion, the 'worst botch' in history, not in terms of people barely avoiding or being severely injured (so no Brock Lesnars at WM 19, no Sids jumping off the second ropes, no Hayabusas, this botch needs to have the person just with a bruise or fine), but in terms of "Man, if they'd landed that it would have looked really good'. Yes, watching poor Matt Sydal screw up his trademark move in his big return in his very first match for his very first in ring move put this in my head, but I have my own personal entry.

Summerslam 2001. RVD vs Jeff Hardy in a ladder match. RVD moves the ladder, Jeff is left hanging from the belt holder. RVD leaps up onto the ropes and TRIES to do a backwards airbourne roundhouse kick into Jeff, but he just can't manage enough momentum to reach him and falls short. If RVD had hit that move, it probably would be a highlight still being shown in video packages today.

That really is Brock doing the SSP. If he does that for the first time on the main roster in the main event of Wrestlemania it's an all time incredible highlight reel move.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Insert a Name Here posted:

So, Kayfabe is sort of like strong bad from homestar runner saying "fqwdads" or Bart Simpsons saying "qwijibo" It's gibberish that means "dont drop your act, in the act."

Interesting post. Can't remember which one but there's a wrestling bio which explains it as the word "fake" run through one of the old carny word generators. Modern wrestlers would just say "fizzake" for example, so it's not exactly gibberish.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Igpay atinlay

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

SLUM KING posted:

Sting also pinned Hogan in a cage match in Boston that was sold as an audio only internet PPV

http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/1998021p.htm

quote:

Kevin,Mark, and Deli Boy discuss Tyson.

Kevin thinks Tyson isn't worth it.

Deli says Rodman was worth it.

Scott Hall is on now. Scott Hall is off now.

Kevin says Oz would win a battle royal with all his past gimmicks.

Nash talks about the imfamous powerbomb on the Giant.

He says Giant is a legit 500 lbs.

Hollywood will be on after the show. I will cover that, too, if I all goes well.

Now they discuss the Hogan leaving rumors.

A fat lady is hitting on Madden.

Kevin thinks the Oriental Nitro girl is the sexiest one.

Ok....here we go! Nash leaves.

lmao

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
He went to eat a little Korean.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FakePoet posted:

I'm sure this is one of those things that most wrestling purists just kind of know off the top of their head, and I probably should considering I'm old enough to have seen most of it, but:

what is regarded as Hogan's best match? By whatever criteria you want to use.

That's a tough call, because he basically followed the same formula for 20 years.

However, I love all of his singles matches with Orndorff, because they sold the feud as being so personal, and Orndorff was such a great foil. Most were booked with Hogan acting like a jerk, unfortunately, which hurt the feel, because the point of the feud was that Orndorff felt Hogan was a lovely friend. Still, they kept interest in the series high and milked it for every penny.

I think I have to go with the Warrior WM6 match, because he got such a great match out of Warrior (who was otherwise awful at everything), and because Hogan put someone else over, and helped create a new star.

Besides that, I have a special place in my heart for the Survivor Series '89 match featuring DiBiase, Zeus, Warlord, and Barbarian versus Hogan, Jake, and Demolition. That match, had Hogan put DiBiase over, would've made Ted into a megastar. As it is, Ted still looks like a million dollars (pun intended).

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Red posted:

That's a tough call, because he basically followed the same formula for 20 years.

However, I love all of his singles matches with Orndorff, because they sold the feud as being so personal, and Orndorff was such a great foil. Most were booked with Hogan acting like a jerk, unfortunately, which hurt the feel, because the point of the feud was that Orndorff felt Hogan was a lovely friend. Still, they kept interest in the series high and milked it for every penny.

I think I have to go with the Warrior WM6 match, because he got such a great match out of Warrior (who was otherwise awful at everything), and because Hogan put someone else over, and helped create a new star.

Besides that, I have a special place in my heart for the Survivor Series '89 match featuring DiBiase, Zeus, Warlord, and Barbarian versus Hogan, Jake, and Demolition. That match, had Hogan put DiBiase over, would've made Ted into a megastar. As it is, Ted still looks like a million dollars (pun intended).

Oh god, I remember being SO excited when No Holds Barred came out, and then that happened. 9 year old me was just amazed.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

davidbix posted:

As someone who has "Crazy Like A Fox" on his Kindle but has long procrastinated reading it...what?!?! I've never heard anyone bring this up. I'm not necessarily surprised, but now I'm curious to hear more.

I suggest you read it Bix it's very well written and a breeze, one of my favorite wrestling books although it is depressing. Essentially Pillman's ribbing extended to some really cruel and in my mind, criminal treatment of various women who were fans .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Red posted:

Hogan lost that match but in no way did he put over Warrior or make him a star. In fact he started undermining Warrior's run the second after the 3 count (Though Warrior was never gonna work on top anyway for a variety of reasons).