Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Btw, which green zaku ii 2.0 mg has the pilot figurine that you can put inside the cockpit? I liked how for the rg eva you can put in the entry plugs.

All of them, that's a standard feature of Master Grades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Always topcoat before applying panel liner!

The tamiya panel liner os a harsh mistress.

This is a hard lesson ive taken to heart recently. I just had the rg wing gundam's head crack one of its head wing things as i did not topcoat and i know it was the panel liner tjat did it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Including this one !

https://imgur.com/gallery/u41ZnhN

Status as of Halloween morning, not quite finished in time I'm afraid. It needs some touchup and a lot of transfers and stickers, but it's nearly complete.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Good news, the contest deadline was extended to December 31st, so your have plenty of time to stick those decals on.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bees on Wheat posted:

Huh, I've seen a couple sites say that the pour type markers are technically an oil paint, whatever that means.

everythingWasBees posted:

"Oil" when used in a scale modeling context usually refers to enamel I believe because that's what I think humbrol enamel paints used to be marketed as? Something along those lines.

There was a good writeup about all of this in a iteration of one of the 50 scale model / miniature threads scattered across this forum but I can't remember for the life of me which one it was.

The flow-type Gundam markers are marked "油性" which could be mistranslated as an oil paint. All it actually means is they're solvent-based markers as opposed to water-based.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Good news, the contest deadline was extended to December 31st, so your have plenty of time to stick those decals on.

Hurrah !

And on the VF-31J transformable model that has a whole paint job worth of stickers in addition to the usual small detail sticker.

The VF-31C mecha collection model is getting its fancy paint job with a mile of masking tape and the airbrush. I'm going to scale up from that to a 1/100 VF-29 and then start going for the 1/72 veritech jets.

While I'm working on masking technique with the small VFs I'm going to start a no-paint build of yet another Macross Delta kit, a bad guy Sv-262 with the color details molded in; no stickers, transfers, or decals at all.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
i have just glimpsed a world without stickers. drat it all.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
A head's up to folks that might be thinking about getting some GodHand nippers: HLJ just e-mailed me to say that my order has been cancelled after waiting weeks for a pair of GodHands. Apparently GodHand are struggling to fulfil orders at the moment. Rather disappointing since I was waiting for the nippers to get started on the kits I ordered.

"We wanted to reach out to you as soon as we could to inform you that, unfortunately, GodHand has been experiencing severe ongoing manufacturing difficulties with their products. As a result we do not expect this item to come into stock. "

runwiled fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 4, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Godhands are overrated and overpriced but by god are they the best nipper experience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

i have just glimpsed a world without stickers. drat it all.

Never do with stickers what you could do with markers.

Said the guy with 4 Gundam marker packs, and a 24-pack of fine-point Sharpies.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Stickers were the absolute biggest reason I invested in an airbrush and decided to learn. Nobody has got time for gross, bad stickers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of stickers; the Gunpla mould machine kit was a fun little build, but the only bad thing I have to say about it is the stripe around the back of the machine is three separate stickers instead of one long one that wraps around all three sides like you see in more modern kits. There's no way to align it perfectly, Bandai! :argh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of stickers v airbrush

Not terrible, the single magenta line didn't come out too badly for freehand masking. I'm going to have to find a ruler and #3 pencil equivalent before I do the rest. The worst of that I can fix with a white marker.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Better quality masking tape may help as well. Also you want to ensure that you run something over the tape to ensure it sticks well and evenly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Burns posted:

Better quality masking tape may help as well. Also you want to ensure that you run something over the tape to ensure it sticks well and evenly.

After taping spray the color you have under the tape to seal it, then spray your stripe over that.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Midjack posted:

After taping spray the color you have under the tape to seal it

Or a thin layer of clear.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bandai is reviving the HG L-Gaim brand. In a slightly confusing move, they're not producing all new models like the Gundam revive series, but just upgraded versions of the original HG models. Having bought some recent pressings of older kits, I sincerely hope they're at least recasting the molds for the old parts.

They've also put out an HG L-Gaim Mk-II on PB only (though all the models set for release in March are available for preorder from PB) but it sold out almost immediately.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1324182179027415041

More importantly though, is L-Gaim any good? I've never seen it but I kinda like the look of L-Gaim and Mk-II.

Also, if anyone is following Labo anymore (I imagine not many after it became clear it was just going to be a bishojo line) the next release will be the questionable plugsuit Asuka from Eva 2.0.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RillAkBea posted:

More importantly though, is L-Gaim any good? I've never seen it but I kinda like the look of L-Gaim and Mk-II.

It's a very Tomino work in a wacky/weird way, not in a kill-em-all way. Superb OPs at the very least.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Good advice all ! Thanks.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
L-Gaim fuckin slaps, I'm gonna get this thing for sure. I'm so happy I could read that silhouette that got passed around a few days ago. There are tons of great designs in the show, I would love for a HG G-Roon.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm painting up a Ciel Nova for a local contest and, since its head is so narrow and tiny, I'm trying to come up with a good idea to accent the mono-eye since it sits nestled in the visor. Do I:

1) Paint it a flat, light blue color
2) Paint only the backside of it a bright silver/chrome so that shines through the transparent clear part
3) Paint the entire piece a bright silver/chrome, then put a coat of clear blue over that?

I'd like for it to be more noticeable in photos. 1) seems like a last resort and would make it pop in person too but it would no longer look like an LED or camera, just a blue dot. That's fine for gundam eyes since they're tiny but not for something this big and round.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Zodack posted:

2) Paint only the backside of it a bright silver/chrome so that shines through the transparent clear part

I'd do this, but it's me...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh sweet, we're getting the Obu from the new Sakura Wars. Less chonky boi, more wingy boi. The top of the sword's handguard is freaking awesome, I hope it's not a brain-killer to put on the sticker or whatever it might be.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

mllaneza posted:

I'd do this, but it's me...

Seconding. Even a silver Gundam Marker will make the visor pop.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Path of least resistance it is, then. I've got an airbrush so I'll mask the front and give it a good blast.

While I'm on the topic of painting, I have a radome dish I want to paint up and give an accent color on the rim. My paint scheme is grey tones; I wanted to do like a super hornet color scheme but I'm dumb and bad and have never done military modeling so ended up using a set of grays that I think aren't quite there. I've had a few people suggest a dish with a yellow or tan yellow rim. Orange is an obvious complement for gray but I feel like that's overdone.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So, my brother is starting up an online shoe store, which means that he has a photo studio for merch set up in his room. He let me borrow it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

^^ Sweet !

I started in on the Macross Delts Sv-262 Battroid in 1/144 from Tomytec. I've got a hip joint together and I thought I'd show off the painted details. It looks to be an HG kit.

That's all molded-in detail. I'm surprised the line isn't more popular, they do a big business in N-scale railroad kits and 1/12 schoolgirls with automatic weapons. They probably shouldn't have started on mecha kits with Macross Delta, I only spotted this one in HLJ's big sale a couple of months ago.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like there's gonna be soul of chogokin figures of All 3 forms of Getter Robo Arc and Gettersaurus, what with the new anime coming out:

https://twitter.com/TendouToys/status/1325093064222732288

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Hell yeah

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi I bought cheap clippers and have lots of stress marks, like gotta always use the knife. I'm just kinda guessing with my sanding technique, how do I do it good

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

Hi I bought cheap clippers and have lots of stress marks, like gotta always use the knife. I'm just kinda guessing with my sanding technique, how do I do it good

For better results at a certain point you just have to get better tools. Better clippers are a bigger buy-in but they really cut down on prep time. Using higher grade blades and/or changing them more often will help with the knife trimming. Sandpaper is sandpaper though so you just have to spend some time and go slowly, work your way through a more varied range of grades.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Miss Broccoli posted:

Good technique counts. This is a great guide for how to get your parts off the frame and how to minimize nubs: https://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-construction-guide

Rill is right in that at some point, you do have to get better tools. The good news is that you don't have to spend Godhand money to get there.

These nippers are really solid, and you can usually get them for around thirty bucks if you do some light shopping around. Sanding sticks and sponges are nice, but you can get a pack of wet/dry sandpaper that'll last you a million years for the same price at the same grit.

The rest is mostly patience and how long you wanna spend neatening things up.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I find sanding away pretty relaxing so I'm guessing I have a pretty high tolerance for it

Thanks for the help

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

grassy gnoll posted:

These nippers are really solid, and you can usually get them for around thirty bucks if you do some light shopping around. Sanding sticks and sponges are nice, but you can get a pack of wet/dry sandpaper that'll last you a million years for the same price at the same grit.

Yeah I picked those up and they made a huge difference, I fully endorse those.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

wdarkk posted:

Yeah I picked those up and they made a huge difference, I fully endorse those.

I just picked up a pair from amazon they're at a pretty good discount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PG73J4/

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The USA Gundam nippers are also very solid and relatively cheap.

As for sanding, someone in this thread mentioned using a glass file and I would recommend them as well.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I tried this glass file and it seems to work well enough.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The legs are done on my pre-painted kit. This thing is underrated like nobody's business, pretty much every piece has some extra nibs to remove. They're well placed so there aren't any visible stress marks. The fit and finish isn't quite up to Bandai standards. The ankles especially are probably going to end up with glue - they don't rotate and they don't fit in place firmly.

But it looks good:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I had the week off and put this boy together for the Grunt Build.'

I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. I glued the bazooka into his had and it's crooked so it limits how I pose him. I have some extra hands somewhere I might change them up on him later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I built a MG Gundam sometime last year. It was the Original dude (light grey with blue and red and yellow accents) with a rifle and rocket launcher (edit- Bandai Hobby MG Gundam RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0 1/100 Scale Action Figure Model Kit). It was a lot of fun and I'd like to build another one, this time using some of the shading pens and stuff I have. I can't remember the names of stuff because I honestly don't know anything about the anime. However, I like the ones that look like robots.

Anyone have recommendations on a good second MG I can assemble? I have experience with other plastic model building and even managed to make a model wooden boat years back. I am fine with a little bit of fiddliness, I just suck at painting stuff.