Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Extremely disappointed apple silicon can apparently only drive two total displays.

Ooof that's a dealbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Spime Wrangler posted:

Do you think the power/performance benefits apple is claiming will be unique to their chips or will other desktop ARM variants be able to keep pace? How long is apple likely to maintain a real performance edge here?

The only other desktop ARM players are either on the very low end or the very high server end.

I think it’ll be a while before anyone catches up. Apple also has the advantage of being a very desirable place to work and already having a strong engineering staff. They’re in the RCA/Intel position of yesteryear.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ooof that's a dealbreaker
Source?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

badjohny posted:

Do we know if the NDA on the 12z mini's is over? Might we see some actual benchmarks on how that chip worked?

If you read it to the letter of the law it never expires. I also expect folks will start getting letters saying, uh yeah, return these per our agreement about....now.

e: re the displays, probably not wrong but there's also no reason you couldn't do eGPU to get around that since they used the Intel specs (obstensibly) when designing their Thunderbolt controller.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Does it have to do anything with the MBA and MBP only having 2 thunderbolt ports now?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheBacon posted:

Extremely disappointed apple silicon can apparently only drive two total displays. I don't need a single fuckoff 6k monitor, let me drive two additional external 4k or even 1440 monitors off my computer. Also intel MBAs not even on the website anymore so I'll need to call local stores to check inventory for one in the spec I want.

The MBA is like the one case of the three where it really makes no sense to get the Intel one. Unless you absolutely need to Bootcamp it, and it won’t be for playing games in that case.

American McGay posted:

Unification of SKUs is probably a very good thing for them. I'd expect more of the same going forward.

Yeah, the more I think about it the better I feel about it, tho I wasn’t expecting quite so much continuity between the Air and Pro line.

“Ok, Ma, the $50 more expensive one has more battery juice and it runs a bit faster, but it’s also heavier. Otherwise, it’s exactly the same.”

vs

“Ok, Ma, if you add $100 to this model and step up to the next one you add a bit more weight and also you get double the number of cores, which is an absolute no-brainer compared to the lower-spec model...but also if you upgrade the storage and the RAM (which we’re gonna do anyway) you actually wind up spending only $50 less than the top of the line model, which includes both of those upgrades and an even better CPU.....but really for your needs it’s probably gonna be about the same”

Spime Wrangler posted:

Do you think the power/performance benefits apple is claiming will be unique to their chips or will other desktop ARM variants be able to keep pace? How long is apple likely to maintain a real performance edge here?

Years, probably. Not kidding or being a fanboy.

Qualcomm isn’t even punching in the same universe anymore and I don’t see anybody else in the PC space making investments in ARM on Apple’s scale or with the decade of work that they’re now applying to desktops.

My guess is that NVidia’s gonna try to make a play for becoming the Windows world’s answer to desktop ARM, given that they bought ARM and all, but IDK how fast they’re going to catch up to Apple’s lead.

Android/Chrome and Windows both need non-Apple ARM or some kind of RISC-V alternative to get competitive with Apple’s offerings quick tho. There’s literally nothing running Android that can touch the A series right now and there hasn’t been for like at least 3 years.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

Years, probably. Not kidding or being a fanboy.

My guess is that NVidia’s gonna try to make a play for becoming the Windows world’s answer to desktop ARM, given that they bought ARM and all, but IDK how fast they’re going to catch up to Apple’s lead.

Android/Chrome and Windows both need non-Apple ARM or some kind of RISC-V alternative to get competitive with Apple’s offerings quick tho. There’s literally nothing running Android that can touch the A series right now and there hasn’t been for like at least 3 years.

At least, and this is coming from someone that had, erm, intimate knowledge of the Intel roadmap up until 15 months ago. They have nothing in the hopper. Let alone answer to an ARM arch that's truly optimized. This is Silicon Graphics all over again imo

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

apple.com specs page. go to displays, intel mbp/mac mini shows the up to 3 with the resolution limits, all apple silicon versions only show built in +1 or 2 total for mac mini

I am running out to my local store to see what they have for 2020 MBA i7/16gb memory right now because of it :/

Ok Comboomer posted:

The MBA is like the one case of the three where it really makes no sense to get the Intel one. Unless you absolutely need to Bootcamp it, and it won’t be for playing games in that case.

3 total displays is a non starter for me, so I was holding off for the last month or so to find out because that matters a lot to me and I figured I should wait and see the update.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

welp pulled the trigger on a new lowest spec MBA for my wife. she wanted gold, how garish.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Will I be able to run Plex server on a new Mac mini?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

apple.com specs page. go to displays, intel mbp/mac mini shows the up to 3 with the resolution limits, all apple silicon versions only show built in +1 or 2 total for mac mini

I am running out to my local store to see what they have for 2020 MBA i7/16gb memory right now because of it :/

3 total displays is a non starter for me, so I was holding off for the last month or so to find out because that matters a lot to me and I figured I should wait and see the update.

Honestly given all of the complaints about running a quad core 2020 Air and its nonsense cooling solution I’d be looking at scoring one of the now-discontinued 2-port MBPs in your position instead.

Also I’m sure Costco and maybe Best Buy will still have their older stock on hand. Apple Stores have to pull whatever isn’t officially on sale anymore so you won’t be able to get your hands on, say, an Intel Air there even if they physically have a whole pallet of them sitting in the back room.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GhostOfTomNook posted:

iirc there is a raspbian distribution so if you can't right this second I'd imagine by the time you get one in your hands you'll be able to.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

badjohny posted:

Hopefully Blizzard will port Warcraft and World of Warcraft to Apple silicon. Only games I play anymore.

There were references to ARM64 in the Shadowlands Alpha builds, but haven't heard anything since. My hope is that they do port it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Yes but it could be months before it’s using the new hardware encoders and decoders, it should fall back to the cpu until then.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Crunchy Black posted:

If you read it to the letter of the law it never expires. I also expect folks will start getting letters saying, uh yeah, return these per our agreement about....now.

e: re the displays, probably not wrong but there's also no reason you couldn't do eGPU to get around that since they used the Intel specs (obstensibly) when designing their Thunderbolt controller.

I was expecting one before the event but haven't received an email yet.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, we have coloed a few so if I hear anything I'll let this thread know but nothing so far.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

how so?

Anything that's processing things for longer than only short bursts (calculations, video encoding, games etc.) will be thermally limited without a fan (and, looking at Apple's existing lineup, often even with a fan). A fan increases the time the CPU can spend at maximum speed.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly given all of the complaints about running a quad core 2020 Air and its nonsense cooling solution I’d be looking at scoring one of the now-discontinued 2-port MBPs in your position instead.

Also I’m sure Costco and maybe Best Buy will still have their older stock on hand. Apple Stores have to pull whatever isn’t officially on sale anymore so you won’t be able to get your hands on, say, an Intel Air there even if they physically have a whole pallet of them sitting in the back room.

E: misread partially. Apple stores will sell through whatever stock they have on hand at EOL pricing, but it does mean no custom configs.

I’m not interested in MBP form factor. I’m fine with cooling complaints/issues.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Anything that's processing things for longer than only short bursts (calculations, video encoding, games etc.) will be thermally limited without a fan (and, looking at Apple's existing lineup, often even with a fan). A fan increases the time the CPU can spend at maximum speed.

No, I get that reasoning in the world of Intel Macbooks but Apple's been building slim, sealed iPad Pros for years and if anyone should know how to build a fanless computer it's Apple.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
No 11inch. Booooooo. Guess they're gonna keep strong prices on eBay.

Am I crazy? Or did I not see any rubber feet on the MacBooks?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know it's par for the course but drat upgrading the SSD and RAM makes the prices skyrocket. A 1TB nvme ssd with good ratings is $100 on Newegg but $400 for Apple. I almost forgot that 256gig ssds were even being made anymore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

E: misread partially. Apple stores will sell through whatever stock they have on hand at EOL pricing, but it does mean no custom configs.

I’m not interested in MBP form factor. I’m fine with cooling complaints/issues.

Welp, color me corrected. Hope your MBA hunt bears fruit.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

No, I get that reasoning in the world of Intel Macbooks but Apple's been building slim, sealed iPad Pros for years and if anyone should know how to build a fanless computer it's Apple.

People aren't running scientific calculations on Ipads, though. And even Apple won't be able to escape the laws of physics, so I'm very much expecting throttling to happen or otherwise the much larger Macs Minis wouldn't have fans. They specifically made a point out of saying the Macs Minis don't throttle.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm glad that they went with the magic keyboard.

Interested to see what kind of difference there is between the 7-Core and 8-Core GPUs for the MBA. It's a $50 difference that could instead help pay down the 16GB memory upgrade.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

That was the same as on the previous Intel, it's fine.

Absolutely not, it was and is ripoff pricing for RAM and SSD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm glad that they went with the magic keyboard.

Interested to see what kind of difference there is between the 7-Core and 8-Core GPUs for the MBA. It's a $50 difference that could instead help pay down the 16GB memory upgrade.

Gotta take out a mortgage on that RAM, goddamn Apple

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Am I crazy? Or did I not see any rubber feet on the MacBooks?

I think these things actually have no rubber feet wtf.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

FCKGW posted:

I think the $1249 Macbook Air is gonna be the sweet spot computer for most people.

8 GB RAM and a 512 GB SDD thats a no for me

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ziploc posted:

I think these things actually have no rubber feet wtf.

What in the world are you basing this on? The too-perfect photos that are carefully angled and lit and maybe photoshopped to not show ugly feet?

If you look at the comparison page

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

you'll find that in addition to looking the same, the case dimensions and weights are identical to Intel MacBooks. I doubt they changed the feet at all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

8 GB RAM and a 512 GB SDD thats a no for me

You're not most people then.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New M1 Macs added Wifi 6, so that's neat.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BobHoward posted:

What in the world are you basing this on? The too-perfect photos that are carefully angled and lit and maybe photoshopped to not show ugly feet?

If you look at the comparison page

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

you'll find that in addition to looking the same, the case dimensions and weights are identical to Intel MacBooks. I doubt they changed the feet at all.

I swore during the keynote when they were spinning it around I didn't see feet. I guess I should go watch the keynote.

EDIT:

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 10, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Max displays 3. So both thunderbolts and the HDMI will output:
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-apple_m1-1804

Fame Douglas posted:

People aren't running scientific calculations on Ipads, though. And even Apple won't be able to escape the laws of physics, so I'm very much expecting throttling to happen or otherwise the much larger Macs Minis wouldn't have fans. They specifically made a point out of saying the Macs Minis don't throttle.
We're expecting real world 15w TDP FWIW which uh compared to Coffee Lake Minis? Takin' it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They fuckin better have feet god drat.

When my old MBP's feet disintegrate and are waiting for me to be able to replace them I would sacrifice 50% of CPU speed for intact feet.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the fact that they are still selling the 10th gen i5 13" is pretty telling on where they expect these to land performance wise

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe it’ll have a rubber bottom like the 2009 MacBooks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hatty posted:

Maybe it’ll have a rubber bottom like the 2009 MacBooks

I hope not, that thing got loving nasty

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Interesting to have no advertised clock speeds.

Is 13" MBP vs Air the same chip but MBP will throttle less due to active cooling?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

admiraldennis posted:

Interesting to have no advertised clock speeds.

Is 13" MBP vs Air the same chip but MBP will throttle less due to active cooling?

apparently yes. Also you get the wonderful touchbar and more battery.

Base Air has 7-core GPU instead of 8 (which only becomes available at $1250, $50 cheaper than MBP). That's gotta be a binning thing, also how much weaker could the GPU in the cheaper Air be than the TOTL one?

Edit: Also the Air stack is a loving mess. Why can I buy a 7-core GPU Air with 16gb RAM and/or 512gb/1TB/2TB storage for up to ~$1900? Apple, why even make this an option? :psyboom:

So, I can spec out literally the same machine with one additional GPU core for an additional $50? And I have to go through a separate sku to get it? This is literally just going to confuse people. You make the 7-core version only available with 256gb as a base model and then the 8-core one with 512+. Jesus Christ!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I thought I remembered leaks including the 16" MBP moving to M1 as well? Kind of odd to mention the 13", which seems completely pointless next to the Air, and not the 16".