Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Serf posted:

multiple people itt have assured us that cold storage is no issue

sure in places people want to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

fosborb posted:

lol at least no one got an unironic, serious sixer from d&d mods this time for prohibited levels of doom posting

posi vibes only man

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

There are a lot of other candidates with similar-ish technologies and not the extreme cold storage requirements. The stock dump kind of makes sense because even if it has the same efficacy that others do it will be shelved due to logistics challenges.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Serf posted:

multiple people itt have assured us that cold storage is no issue

lol, right. -70/-80C is really loving cold. Vaccine distribution is always hard, but this is a whole different level. San Francisco is gonna be fine, but rural areas are gonna be a serious challenge. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/31/cold-chain-and-colder-chain-distribution

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Google Butt posted:

posi vibes only man

Hey, that's how TRUMP gets up in the morning, after all!

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
There should be a better word for people who are too optimistic. Pollyanna is a tad outdated and obscure.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

what about in places where people have to live

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Karia posted:

lol, right. -70/-80C is really loving cold. Vaccine distribution is always hard, but this is a whole different level. San Francisco is gonna be fine, but rural areas are gonna be a serious challenge. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/31/cold-chain-and-colder-chain-distribution

Dry ice is -110F/-80C and you can get it at pretty much any grocery store in the country.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the vaccine can be effective and the ceo can be doing insider trading, there's room enough in our world for both possibilities. the cold storage thing is a bummer though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Dry ice is -110F/-80C and you can get it at pretty much any grocery store in the country.

Liquid natural gas is much colder and it's a ubiquitous bulk commodity on a vast scale

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

the vaccine will trickle down

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Salt Fish posted:

Ice is 32F/0C but it doesnt make other things it touches that cold.

jk i don't think its gonna be that big of a deal

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Salt Fish posted:

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

Aren't we looking at a dry ice shortage right now tho?

Serf
May 5, 2011

fits my needs posted:

the vaccine will trickle down

all over my face

Serf
May 5, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

really? that's rad. what section is it in?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what the gently caress grocery store carries dry ice, is that actually a thing or have I fallen for a clever ruse

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

blatman posted:

what the gently caress grocery store carries dry ice, is that actually a thing or have I fallen for a clever ruse

mine does?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Luckyellow posted:

Aren't we looking at a dry ice shortage right now tho?

The gaseous form is super abundant though

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
you have to go to the customer service people to buy it. its not just on the shelves next to the shredded cheese

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Giga Gaia posted:

oh well its not like the ceo can ask his marketing execs to time things with his schedule. impossible lol

It's not his marketing execs. Executives routinely dump their shares/options into an account held by their financial managers. Then they pre-schedule a year or so of withdrawals and deposits. They do this precisely to avoid accusations of insider training. If he set up the automatic deposits last month, it might have been insider trading. If it's a year old, it's just happy coincidence.

e: Also, there definitely is a nationwide dry ice shortage. On the demand side, more food delivery; on the supply side, lower use of ethanol translates to lower refinement translates to less CO2 produced as a byproduct.

Arsenic Lupin has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Nov 11, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Acelerion posted:

The gaseous form is super abundant though

lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

blatman posted:

all the safeways and vons and big supermarkets i've been to carry it. you need to ask at the customer service counter.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Marzzle posted:

mine does?

holy poo poo there's grocery stores nearby that sell dry ice according to bing I legitimately thought the whole "grocery stores sell dry ice to random idiots" thing was a shitpost

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blatman posted:

Walmart sells it for 3 dollars a pound.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

holy poo poo there's grocery stores nearby that sell dry ice according to bing I legitimately thought the whole "grocery stores sell dry ice to random idiots" thing was a shitpost

have u never gone to a grocery store before, do u poo poo in the sink

Serf
May 5, 2011

i gotta head to the bi-lo today for groceries, i'll ask about dry ice. used to be you had to know a guy in the freezers department of the poultry plant to get dry ice

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Serf posted:

at best they will roll a single cool truck for a vaccination clinic one day and expect everyone within 100 miles to drive there on that day then do it again 27 days later.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

Just like toilet paper!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

at best they will roll a single cool truck for a vaccination clinic one day and expect everyone within 100 miles to drive there on that day then do it again 27 days later.

sounds bad

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not his marketing execs. Executives routinely dump their shares/options into an account held by their financial managers. Then they pre-schedule a year or so of withdrawals and deposits. They do this precisely to avoid accusations of insider training. If he set up the automatic deposits last month, it might have been insider trading. If it's a year old, it's just happy coincidence.

according to reports he requested this in August. according to insider trading sites, the last time he sold stocks was in 2016

:iiam:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I am still legitimately baffled that you can just go to the store, hand them a twenty and they will tongs dry ice into your mitts

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't even think the issue is cold storage.

If we're rolling at something crazy like 100-200k/cases per day then using a vaccine to effectively control this is going to be a nightmare. You can't just have people crowding into Walmart or CVS to get shots for something that won't give them immunity for over a month. You've got to do it either by appointment or at drive-up sites, which would probably also need to be by appointment just due to capacity limitations. We can't even reliably pull off 1.5m tests per day right now under those conditions, and this is at least marginally more complicated to administer. Distributing a vaccine to enough people to get this under control is going to take forever, even if all the doses could be magically manufactured and transported to where they needed to go.

Oh, and you need to convince people to continue to stay safe for a month after their first shot. If the vaccine is non-sterilizing, then you need to convince people to continue to stay in until vaccine distribution is mostly complete.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

when ceo guy has his financial managers schedule his sell offs is he not informed of when they happen?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol seems promising https://twitter.com/markets/status/1326566881558474753?s=19

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Karia posted:

any rural or even faintly exurban distribution site is just going to get targeted by fundamentalist types so it doesn't matter one way or the other lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol i may be doombrained but at least i dont immediately trust the words of a pharmaceutical ceo

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
so when will we get our first asphyxiation due to improperly stored dry ice in a small poorly ventilated room?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Paradoxish posted:

I don't even think the issue is cold storage.

If we're rolling at something crazy like 100-200k/cases per day then using a vaccine to effectively control this is going to be a nightmare. You can't just have people crowding into Walmart or CVS to get shots for something that won't give them immunity for over a month. You've got to do it either by appointment or at drive-up sites, which would probably also need to be by appointment just due to capacity limitations. We can't even reliably pull off 1.5m tests per day right now under those conditions, and this is at least marginally more complicated to administer. Distributing a vaccine to enough people to get this under control is going to take forever, even if all the doses could be magically manufactured and transported to where they needed to go.

Oh, and you need to convince people to continue to stay safe for a month after their first shot. If the vaccine is non-sterilizing, then you need to convince people to continue to stay in until vaccine distribution is mostly complete.

comedy option: shut everything down for a few days while the military goes from person-to-person vaccinating them, lift the lockdowns as regions reach a certain population vaccination threshhold

this will be received in a mature manner by everyone, who will also all cooperate fully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

100000 dead people and all we got are marketing stunts, we're hosed people, straight hosed