Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Lady is her first name and not a title. Lady Une rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yeah so F91.

The first 45-50 minutes are a tightly packed opening to a potential UC story, then the F91 launches aannnnnddddd it all goes to poo poo. They literally cut its opening fight after he downs one Crossbone Vanguard MS and suddenly...we aren't in combat anymore? And maybe we're in a totally different colony, and what is happening because it's snowing in some places but not others? It is GORGEOUS, truly top flight 90s anime stuff, but it is noticeable when they ran out of planned sequences and just start blowing through whatever they had seemingly sketched out for plot/action pieces. Still got 30 minutes to go, but after that 50 minute mark or so with the F91 launch, hoo boy does it just unravel.

Can't forget the variety of "emotional" moments where some character we may have just seen a scene before is killed and the film acts like we should care but forgets about it in the next scene because there was not actually connective narrative to make any of it matter. ARTHHHURRRRR

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Personally I think the first 20-25 minutes of F91 are a very interesting escape a city on fire film with some very interesting mecha fighting and moves. But once the dialogue starts talking about the Ronah family, it quickly swerves into confusing territory and loses more of its cohesion and pace as the runtime progresses. Still some fights and individual scenes have promise but it never manages to coalesce into a coherent film.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Baka-nin posted:

Personally I think the first 20-25 minutes of F91 are a very interesting escape a city on fire film with some very interesting mecha fighting and moves. But once the dialogue starts talking about the Ronah family, it quickly swerves into confusing territory and loses more of its cohesion and pace as the runtime progresses. Still some fights and individual scenes have promise but it never manages to coalesce into a coherent film.

The Ronah family stuff does derail it p hard, but it's not an unfamilar setup they're trying to show off for a Gundam franchise entry. Once they launch the F91, it just completely stops having coherence to anything.

How no one can remember what a Gundam is within a generation of them having been you know, a major asset in every major conflict of your era, remains a stunning part of UC i'll never quite grasp. Always gotta have a scene where someone says "you know some legendary MS had this face before what was it called? OH RIGHT GUNDAM"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah the moment after the f91 first launches is when poo poo goes off the rails. Immediately after the fight you teleport to seabook in front of a random store talking to an old lady and the seabook goes into a mansion to find Cecily. There's no room to breathe at all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Whenever people talk about F91 I always remember this tweet.

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/1204488021334056961

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Whenever people talk about F91 I always remember this tweet.

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/1204488021334056961

https://letterboxd.com/dj90shentai/film/mobile-suit-gundam-chars-counterattack/

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

How did a plot summary for Chainsaw Man get in a Gundam thread like this?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Was half expecting a "This happened to my buddy Eric" repost tbh.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Wing is fun since most of the main ladies have normal/normalish first names and it's all the main guys who get the out there names. Une is the weirdest main/supporting lady name. Mariemaia isn't normal but it's not out of the realm of possibility. On the other hand imagine naming your kid Trieze, like a dude in the comments section of a youtube video alleged he considered doing.

Has there ever been an explanation why/how Wing got character names that were just the numbers 0 through 13?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pyronic posted:

Has there ever been an explanation why/how Wing got character names that were just the numbers 0 through 13?

I've always just assumed it was an intersection of "foreign words cool" and "we have a theme let's run with it"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyronic posted:

You're forgetting Milliardo Peacecraft.

His name is the highest number ergo he is the best pilot. Which he might now I think on it... He and Heero ere clearly the best in After Colony universe.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's cool how treize just suddenly became a god tier mobile suit pilot in the last couple of episodes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Or Quinze.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

It's cool how treize just suddenly became a god tier mobile suit pilot in the last couple of episodes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Wing is a show where having a name and some screentime makes you better than mooks at pretty much everything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah it owns

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gundam wing be like what if we made Gundam badass

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
New MSG: Hathaway teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_63B0myYvg

The new release date May 7th, 2021.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Gundam wing be like what if we made Gundam badass

Badass?

Gundam is supposed to be a grim war story. It's about innocent lives torn apart, suffering without purpose, and countless atrocities as children are pulled into the cogs of the war machine and reduced to unfeeling cogs themselves even if they survive, destroying all hope of a better tomorrow.

Gundam is already badass.

Gundam Wing is merely the answer to the question of what would happen if they made a Gundam that was at least as 90s as ZZ Gundam was 80s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pyronic posted:

my theory is they came up with the number names for the gundam boys and then just kept running with it past the point where it made sense

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Horrible Taste posted:

I know its a teaser but I like to think this was edited by someone rolling their head across their keyboard.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Wing is fun since most of the main ladies have normal/normalish first names and it's all the main guys who get the out there names. Une is the weirdest main/supporting lady name. Mariemaia isn't normal but it's not out of the realm of possibility. On the other hand imagine naming your kid Trieze, like a dude in the comments section of a youtube video alleged he considered doing.

How is Treize any more or less weird than Noin?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Noin is her last name. Her first name is Lucrezia.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I love how Frozen Teardrop has the Zechs/Noin children be literally genderswapped Noin/Zechs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frozen teardrop also has genderswapped quatre. and i think she has a romantic deal with noin and zechs's son, which raises a lot of questions

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I kinda want them to remake Wing with no changes other than better fight choreography and genderswap EVERYONE.

I feel like this would make Wufei at least 40% more tolerable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wdarkk posted:

I kinda want them to remake Wing with no changes other than better fight choreography and genderswap EVERYONE.

I dunno, does it make it any better if it's a 14 year old girl out for blood over her dead husband?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the fights with actual animation in wing are well choreographed. its just that 90% of the fights are stock footage.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

frozen teardrop also has genderswapped quatre. and i think she has a romantic deal with noin and zechs's son, which raises a lot of questions

I seem to recall said genderswapped Quatre is also literally a female clone of the original for some reason.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dunno, does it make it any better if it's a 14 year old girl out for blood over her dead husband?

I said "40% more tolerable", not "perfectly fine".

Also Build Diver Battleogue will be up tomorrow morning, thumbnail is a picture of Freddie with a mic so I guess he's narrating the dream battle. Glad to see they know what I want.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Omnicrom posted:

I seem to recall said genderswapped Quatre is also literally a female clone of the original for some reason.

Quatre never learned how to gently caress.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does genderswapped wufei rant and rave about how men have no place on the battlefield or is it only gender that changes and she still shouts at everyone about how girls are weak while she crushes them

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Does genderswapped wufei rant and rave about how men have no place on the battlefield or is it only gender that changes and she still shouts at everyone about how girls are weak while she crushes them

I feel like both are hilarious but I'm leaning towards the former.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I feel like both are hilarious but I'm leaning towards the former.

I'd definitely :munch: for the former. Drop Femme-fei SRW with the Zeta crew.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

wdarkk posted:

Better choreography for all except the Heavyarms. The Heavyarms must keep its original stock footage. Not even converted to HD, exactly the same.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Omnicrom posted:

I know literally nothing about ft but in wing quatre has like 40 sisters or some poo poo that are all test tube babies and he’s either the only natural birth or the only male sibling, so I’m guessing it’s related in some way to that odd background fact.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DamnGlitch posted:

I know literally nothing about ft but in wing quatre has like 40 sisters or some poo poo that are all test tube babies and he’s either the only natural birth or the only male sibling, so I’m guessing it’s related in some way to that odd background fact.

Yeah, I think that's actually what happens, in that new generation Quatre is one of the test tube babies they unthawed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gundam wing has the deepest lore

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Horrible Taste posted:

This feels like it's edited to be as hard on the eyes as possible but I'm glad they've gone with the original Xi Gundam instead of the generic redesign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah he's got 29 test tube sisters and the whole reason he original runs off and joins the magnac corps is because he doesn't know he's not a test tube baby so he has serious issues with his dad mass producing heirs like tools. They all talk him back in to not hating his dad so much. His genderswapped clone is actually a clone I think, not a test tube baby. I also thought she was in a weird love triangle with Zechs's son and new Trowa but I definitely could be mixing that up.

Duo being a terrible Gundam dad makes me lol a little since it comes off as weirdly petty to me for some reason.