Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Got my pink 5th anniversary repress of Emotion.

... guess I should get rid of my regular black one now.

A bit boring that they both have 100% identical record jackets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Since I'm avoiding record stores, I want to shop online for stuff. Are there any good auction sites that people recommend?

I usually don't buy vinyl online except for special pressings. The entire joy of vinyl for me was picking a bunch of records I want and trying to hunt them down in brick and mortar stores (I live near DC but I've been to record stores as far as Kansas City looking for stuff -- it was a work trip; I don't just travel the country looking for records heh). With COVID, I need to rethink that, but I'd like to keep that rush of finding a record, and I think winning auctions could scratch that itch.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 12, 2020

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Woofer posted:

Since I'm avoiding record stores, I want to shop online for stuff. Are there any good auction sites that people recommend?

I usually don't buy vinyl online except for special pressings. The entire joy of vinyl for me was picking a bunch of records I want and trying to hunt them down in brick and mortar stores (I live near DC but I've been to record stores as far as Kansas City looking for stuff). With COVID, I need to rethink that, but I'd like to keep that rush of finding a record, and I think winning auctions could scratch that itch.

eBay?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I was looking at eBay. Just curious if there are any websites dedicated to record auctions that folks recommend. Google yields several results, but I dont know the good from the bad, or if there are any to avoid.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I can't think of anything auction related specific to vinyl besides eBay. There's Discogs but I'm pretty sure it's just Buy It Now rather than bidding.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Woofer posted:

I was looking at eBay. Just curious if there are any websites dedicated to record auctions that folks recommend. Google yields several results, but I dont know the good from the bad, or if there are any to avoid.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Goodwill auction site

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

BigFactory posted:

The cassette version of Rush Caress of Steel put I Think Im Going Bald right in the middle of Fountain of Lamneth, if I remember what being 13 years old was like again.

hah...reminds me of the vinyl version of Magma's Kohntarkosz, which puts "Ork Alarm" right in the middle of the 30-minute title track

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Damnit, Target canceled my RTJ4 special edition that I bought from them during a sale a while back, after stringing me along for about two months saying it was back-ordered.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I've been using discogs marketplace with better results than regular vendors. Discogs gives you decent reviews of different pressings etc. as well, so you have a better idea of what you're getting into with a particular release. I started getting back into vinyl a few months ago and I've been burned badly on some purchases - purchases I would not have made if I did my discogs research first. There are a ton of hosed up pressings out there :(

Edit: didn't read original clearly, discogs ain't an auction site although I think you can barter

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Found Gwendal at the shop and Zappa at the antique market of all places. Gwendal's some kind of Irish fusion stuff that I can't adequately describe but is pretty cool and the cover art rules

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

u_s_eh posted:

I've been using discogs marketplace with better results than regular vendors. Discogs gives you decent reviews of different pressings etc. as well, so you have a better idea of what you're getting into with a particular release. I started getting back into vinyl a few months ago and I've been burned badly on some purchases - purchases I would not have made if I did my discogs research first. There are a ton of hosed up pressings out there :(

Edit: didn't read original clearly, discogs ain't an auction site although I think you can barter

a lot of people on discogs are totally open to a quick dm, especially the folks that have been on the site for awhile. I've scored some stuff well under asking price because they could tell im a collector and not a flipper.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well this is going to be my evenings from now on

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

a lot of people on discogs are totally open to a quick dm, especially the folks that have been on the site for awhile. I've scored some stuff well under asking price because they could tell im a collector and not a flipper.

How does one make that clear?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CPL593H posted:

How does one make that clear?

One would suggest their collection publicly available on discogs and lack of open sells.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

incoherent posted:

One would suggest their collection publicly available on discogs and lack of open sells.

That makes sense.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My vinyl ordering has somewhat slowed, but two albums I ordered earlier this year arrived.

I ordered this one back in March or April. Never thought it would arrive.

This was my very first (and only) Indiegogo thing. I should be getting a digital copy of the documentary, but they want to do a theatrical screening first and, well, we know what year this is.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Detective No. 27 posted:

My vinyl ordering has somewhat slowed, but two albums I ordered earlier this year arrived.

I ordered this one back in March or April. Never thought it would arrive.

:hfive: I ordered mine on February 24. It should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lol, I love this album and knew how it would be presented when I bought it so I'm not that mad, but this chromatica vinyl might be the worst pop vinyl release of the last five years

clear plastic sleeve, black and white weirdly translucent sheet inside, unimpressive clear color, and a $27 single LP. for one of the most vibrant and eclectic pop albums in recent memory. sigh.

anyways, y'all have any tips for storing records in weird sleeves like this? Wonder if I should get like a 12" basket for records that I can't really put on a shelf normally ...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The one or two of those I have, I slide an inner sleeve in because I absolutely hate the way it always feels like the record rubs up against an edge or a side when taking it out or putting it in. like, sure, there's an aesthetic value to being able to look in and see through everything, but, like, who gives a poo poo? you're only ever going to see the edge when it's on the shelf. And in terms of storing it overall, it'll be fine on a shelf, especially in between two other records

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

My local store opened up for appointments today. The owner had been backdoor handing me records since March and I'd been buying gift cards to offset the cost, but went in to finalize those transactions and get them off the books. I was trying to keep my spending down today, but I should have known as soon as I saw a YMO record on the wall that that wasn't going to happen. Ended up walking out with:

Yellow Magic Orchestra - s/t (find of the day)
Dirty Three - Cinder
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Pylon - Chomp
Pylon - Gyrate
Frida - Shine (Tony Levin on bass got me)
Sade - Promise
Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr Cairo
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
Steely Dan - Countdown
Photoglo - s/t
Philip Glass - Powaqqatsi

A good day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Has anyone gotten a shipping notification from uDiscover yet?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

CPL593H posted:

Noppppppe

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I didn't get a notice but my records all showed up today.

e: I take that back, I did get a shipping email on the 10th

also, I didn't reuse the $10 code a bunch I just had one order so maybe that matters

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

CPL593H posted:

i got my album today :c00l:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

1 out of 3 orders shipped yesterday.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm guessing it's going to take a while because they most likely got swamped when people heard about the deals. But I got a copy of Lust for Life for five bucks, so I can wait a while.

In other news a bunch more Eno stuff is coming to vinyl including a reissue of Small Craft on a Milk Sea, which currently fetches some high prices. And Film Music 1976-2020.

https://www.strandedrecords.com/collections/warp

https://www.strandedrecords.com/collections/astralwerks/products/brian-eno-film-music-1976-2020-2xlp?mc_cid=3ab697fcc2&mc_eid=bdf870be13

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

CPL593H posted:

Ordered 4.

1 shipped on Nov 6th like it said it would, and got here just fine.

Other 3 haven't had a single update.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i received my first record the day i received my second shipping notification, so it looks like the timing is just incredibly weird

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CPL593H posted:

1/2 delivered already

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Booooo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
1/1 not delivered thus far.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm not going to be shocked if this becomes a clusterfuck.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mail-roundup:

Freddie Gibbs and The Alchemist - Alfredo VMP exclusive
Henri Texier - Varech WBC exclusive
Clouds in a Headlock - Asmattic WBC exclusive
Da Brat - Funkdafied VMP exclusive (this is a Christmas present for the wife I swear)
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca VMP exclusive
Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite VMP exclusive
Mulatu Astatke and the Black Jesus Experience - To Know Without Knowing

tl;dr - I subscribe to too many record clubs

Oh and fyi Clouds in a Headlock is dope as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3sa38GWPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DswgA6DLC8I

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Nope. Ordered on the third.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

All 3 shipments showed up this week on different days.

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Warren G - Regulate
Jay Z - The Black Album
L.L. Cool J - Mamma Said Knock You Out
QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dr. Octagon should be on my doorstep on Monday.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Still nothing, I don't expect anything until the Rammstein preorder ships tbh.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CPL593H posted:

I'm guessing it's going to take a while because they most likely got swamped when people heard about the deals. But I got a copy of Lust for Life for five bucks, so I can wait a while.

In other news a bunch more Eno stuff is coming to vinyl including a reissue of Small Craft on a Milk Sea, which currently fetches some high prices. And Film Music 1976-2020.

https://www.strandedrecords.com/collections/warp

https://www.strandedrecords.com/collections/astralwerks/products/brian-eno-film-music-1976-2020-2xlp?mc_cid=3ab697fcc2&mc_eid=bdf870be13

Yes but was it the iggy pop one or the Lana del Rey one. Yuk yuk yuk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Yes but was it the iggy pop one or the Lana del Rey one. Yuk yuk yuk

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

all my UDiscover stuff came in this last Thursday. It was only two items and probably not highly sought after, but they came in gobdarnnit.