Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

There's also what the marines do to keep order in the vast majority of the blues; to the average people who live there the Marines just enforce the law and get rid of pirates who'd want to steal from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since almost literally 90% of the story has taken place in the Grand/Red Line it’s hard to be sure how the normal Blues work if East Blue is any indication, but it’s hard to imagine the Navy does a very good job between despots like Morgan who are just straight up pirates, and guys like Nezumi who actively collaborate with Arlong to cover up the extent of his reign of terror.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I wonder why pirates chose to occupy the grand line / new world before the one piece came along. I guess since it's dangerous waters they're self-protected, but it seems like more would have been established in the blues.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Last Celebration posted:

Since almost literally 90% of the story has taken place in the Grand/Red Line it’s hard to be sure how the normal Blues work if East Blue is any indication, but it’s hard to imagine the Navy does a very good job between despots like Morgan who are just straight up pirates, and guys like Nezumi who actively collaborate with Arlong to cover up the extent of his reign of terror.

We also see Smoker and Pudding in the East Blue. Both who are attempting to be forced of justice in the area. To be honest I think it’s likely that the East Blue just gets forgotten about because it’s the weakest sea. So people like Morgan have more of a chance to become petty tyrants.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I wonder why pirates chose to occupy the grand line / new world before the one piece came along. I guess since it's dangerous waters they're self-protected, but it seems like more would have been established in the blues.

My assumption is that piracy established itself in the Grand Line during a period before the marines had access to machinery that allows them to power through the Calm Belts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Adventure? Gold Roger reignited the Age of Pirates but there’ve always been people like the Rumbar Pirates who were just “hell yeah, let’s sail into this uncharted death trap and die horribly” and they were way before his time. I don’t think every pirate cares about something like the One Piece but even someone like Bellamy that initially laughed at dreams and adventure still risked his life to go to Skypeia.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's plenty of lootin' and plunderin' to be had in the Grand Line, you just have to be made of sterner stuff than the pirates who stick to any of the Four Blues.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The fact that there was a definitive "finish line" in Laugh Tale doesn't appear to have become common knowledge until Roger went the distance, which makes me think the initial lure of the GL was just people trying to figure out what the gently caress was even down there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

In a normal ocean, you have a kingdom, it has a navy, it finds and fucks up the pirate bases. Arlong needed to pay off the Navy to keep up his little fiefdom, and there's only so much the Navy would turn a blind eye too. A lot more can slip through the cracks in the crazy world of the Grand Line. The Navy didn't seem to be able to do much to restore order to Jaya, for instance.

And presumably there weren't that many pirates before the Great Age of Pirates. I mean, why else would they call it that? There were some, sure, and eventually as they grew in notoriety they'd naturally be pushed into more and more into inhospitable seas.

I guess I wonder why Roger specifically tried to sail around the whole Grand Line. I wonder if he learned something that send him in that direction at some point.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

while we're on the subject of the origins of rogers voyage, i just wanna say this is probably my favourite flashback and one of my favourite scenes in the whole story. manages to give a lot of context and convey a lot of emotion while still having such great economy of storytelling that it's short and gets away with not actually telling us anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_I3_XlWb-0

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Eiba posted:

I guess I wonder why Roger specifically tried to sail around the whole Grand Line. I wonder if he learned something that send him in that direction at some point.

I think the implication was that before Roger very few if any people had reached Lodestar Island, where he learned about Raftel. I think the nature of the grand line and the idea of a last island is pretty tantalising mystery to an adventurous soul.

Like, provided he was still, somehow, inspired by Shanks I kind of feel like Luffy would still be trying to sail to the end of the grand line even if Roger never existed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Between the somewhat similar start of Luffy/zoro and Roger/Rayleigh and Rayleigh having conquerors haki I wonder if we'll see zoro get it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I’d be happier if he’s just A Guy who’s almost as strong as the future Pirate King because he trained really hard all the time, but itd be a safer bet that it manifests.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh I’d be happier if he’s just A Guy who’s almost as strong as the future Pirate King because he trained really hard all the time, but itd be a safer bet that it manifests.

Maybe he'll use it to cut one guy's sword in half or something then never use it again because he gets lost and forgets.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Imu ate the Haki-Haki Fruit

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
When my roommate who got my into One Piece first told me about Luffy using Haki, it was all said out loud, and so I totally thought that Luffy used some weird Gum Gum Hockey move, and was trying to imagine what kind of attack that would be.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
side note but i also want some payoff with momo's fruit being a dragon esp considering there's been like three on screen mentions by kaido to him saying he doesn't look the part of oden's kid and i just feel him also being a dragon has to come up!!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He absolutely has it and I’ve been waiting for it since fishman island when he comments he’d be captain if luffy couldn’t at least do that much after using it in the plaza

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

When my roommate who got my into One Piece first told me about Luffy using Haki, it was all said out loud, and so I totally thought that Luffy used some weird Gum Gum Hockey move, and was trying to imagine what kind of attack that would be.

inflates his foot into a hockey puck shape and fuckin slap shots it into blackbeards face to break what few feet he has left.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Renzuko posted:

inflates his foot into a hockey puck shape and fuckin slap shots it into blackbeards face to break what few feet he has left.

But without teeth, Blackbeard would be using Gum Gum attacks... :downs:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

He absolutely has it and I’ve been waiting for it since fishman island when he comments he’d be captain if luffy couldn’t at least do that much after using it in the plaza

I believe he knows about it, but if he had it then he would have used it on someone like Monet instead of making her fall apart with his blade.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I believe he knows about it, but if he had it then he would have used it on someone like Monet instead of making her fall apart with his blade.

I don’t think Monet was nearly low level enough to be effected by normal use of conqueror’s haki, and honestly I always felt like the killing intent blade trick was likely an extension/specialized use of it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just to play devil’s advocate, Luffy didn’t do that either and his dumb rear end nearly died because of it.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
kiku confirmed for pw4

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
New chapter

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-995/

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
He can't keep getting away with these Smile designs!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YOU CRAZY FURRY

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

You don’t look like you’re looking so good rn my dude

Also jesus Usopp how are you still conscious, even Luffy took some damage from that headbutt before and that was before Ulti turned part dinosaur.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Usopp got his skull hosed up in the exact same way fighting Mr. 4 and Miss Merry Christmas, he's used to it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nothing a glass of milk can't cure

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

You'd think Chopper would be immune to the virus since he's not a human.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
it makes more sense for Queen to be equal opportunity wrt his hosed up war crime weapons imho.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Betting Chopper has some prior knowledge of this virus/condition from his time studying abroad. Maybe he will be useful for something again finally?

Queen knows Judge. Has it been established that the Vinsmokes have done business with Kaido's org before? Would be cool to find out they were the ones who designed his mecha-arm.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Crazyeyes posted:

Betting Chopper has some prior knowledge of this virus/condition from his time studying abroad. Maybe he will be useful for something again finally?

Queen knows Judge. Has it been established that the Vinsmokes have done business with Kaido's org before? Would be cool to find out they were the ones who designed his mecha-arm.

There's got to be something more than Just a Skull Joke there with Chopper pointing out that Brooke is immune and Chopper contracting it himself

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Marco is going to (literally) swoop in and fix everything with his phoenix fire, just to keep with the tradition of every other medical professional in the series upstaging Chopper

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Evil mad hyper-science seems to be a small field in OP
Besides kaido did work with Caesar whos connected to Vegapunk whos connected to Judge. And id think its a Yonko's crews business to know these kind of things.

Its not a impossible for them to have met, and still likely for Queen to have been one of those people's lab assistants.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dr marco is going to heal everyone

nami is a queen and usopp is irredeemable

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Evil mad hyper-science seems to be a small field in OP
Besides kaido did work with Caesar whos connected to Vegapunk whos connected to Judge. And id think its a Yonko's crews business to know these kind of things.

Its not a impossible for them to have met, and still likely for Queen to have been one of those people's lab assistants.

I'm guessing because, you know, economy of detail, that Queen knows and /or worked with Vegapunk at some point in the past, very probably when Caesar and Judge did before Vegapunk got snatched up by the WG. I think the timeline more or less works if Queen joined Kaido just before they took over Wano. The idea makes even more interested to meet Vegapunk since that'd make the Science Squad we've seen 3/3 for total pieces of poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oddium posted:

dr marco is going to heal everyone

nami is a queen and usopp is irredeemable

nami is the queen of queens but tbh Usopp was right, Luffy would be really mad at her for not lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

nami is the queen of queens but tbh Usopp was right, Luffy would be really mad at her for not lying

Usopp didn't object to what she said, only that she wasn't running away as fast as possible while saying it.