Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

smoka i watched this thing the other day where this animator dude broke down a few scenes from akira frame by frame and pointed out just how much work went into the movie and it gave me a whole new respect for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god is that like 96kbps source lmao. nothing but aliasing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

White supremacists and chuds love eighties butt rock because it was the last time white people utterly dominated the pop charts and the last time their relevance was absolute.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that the late nineties butt rock revival is full of the same sort of people.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

smoka i watched this thing the other day where this animator dude broke down a few scenes from akira frame by frame and pointed out just how much work went into the movie and it gave me a whole new respect for it.

the whole thing where THEY HAND DREW THIRTY FRAMES FOR EVERY SECOND OF AKIRA is wrong though. sometimes they use 2's or 3's (equivalent 15 or 10 fps) for scenes where things are supposed to move quickly.

it's still an amazing work though.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

it's my #1 fav movie of all time. it has loving everything, every crazy idea, and pulls it off. it's a one time thing that will never be re-created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pko0vruGo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Stringent posted:

i'm sorry you keep getting murdered in the street

this is a fairly ignorant comment. lgbt people have to fear random violence from random people, 1 in 4 trans people have been assaulted just for walking around. while that may not be your reality, please have some empathy for the fact that it is a part of daily life for others

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

the whole thing where THEY HAND DREW THIRTY FRAMES FOR EVERY SECOND OF AKIRA is wrong though. sometimes they use 2's or 3's (equivalent 15 or 10 fps) for scenes where things are supposed to move quickly.

it's still an amazing work though.

i think the guy i watched pointed that out. noted that in some places they did higher framrates but only where they really wanted to leave a certain impression.

he also didn’t pull punches and pointed out where they got lazy with BGs, hosed up parallax, etc.

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

I need to watch it again, last time I watched it, it was sort of a hypnotic thing that started with the opening theme and kind of drags you in.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I need to watch it again, last time I watched it, it was sort of a hypnotic thing that started with the opening theme and kind of drags you in.

same, but the first time I watched it i was too young and stupid to appreciate it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the first time I ate acid i munched 3 hits and we watched Akira. Talk about a god drat mistake lmao

(still a good experience, just intense)

Apr 7, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's my #1 fav movie of all time. it has loving everything, every crazy idea, and pulls it off. it's a one time thing that will never be re-created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pko0vruGo

Akira couldn't pick up a US distributor because it was thought at the time that it was too alien for american audiences

I'm not an anime fan but the themes in the movie aren't particularly offensive.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Akira couldn't pick up a US distributor because it was thought at the time that it was too alien for american audiences

I'm not an anime fan but the themes in the movie aren't particularly offensive.

americans are dogshit stupid about anime and think its all just 'cartoons but japan!'

exhibit A of this is, and will always be, US distributors deciding on a double header theatrical release of My Neighbor Totoro backed up with Grave Of The Fireflies. Jesus.

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the first time I ate acid i munched 3 hits and we watched Akira. Talk about a god drat mistake lmao

(still a good experience, just intense)

When I was 19 I hooked up with a stripper from Cincinnati that I met on IRC and went to her place and we watched a movie while I did acid for the first time.

I don't definitively remember what the movie was. I remember Blazing Saddles but that seems too absurd.

I got mad that she was having sex with other people and burned that bridge because I was dumb as gently caress back then

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

it was subversive as gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it was subversive as gently caress

Just watching the clip you posted, the cop shooting the tear gas victim who staggers in from off-frame

but those aren't themes we can't understand, they're just themes the ruling class doesn't want displayed.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Just watching the clip you posted, the cop shooting the tear gas victim who staggers in from off-frame

the scene where the teargas billows in the streets and covers the bridges and poo poo is my favourite movie scene of all time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my first time with acid involved reality bending, id destroying rituals such as reading the wikipedia page about bowling.

Apr 7, 2003

Hulu has Akira now. Wild.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hulu has Akira now. Wild.

hulu and netflix are both tripping over their own dicks to try to sign and optionally do English dubs for as many anime series as they can get their talons in now because Crunchyroll is eating their poo poo at $7.99 a month

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonny 290 posted:

double header theatrical release of My Neighbor Totoro backed up with Grave Of The Fireflies. Jesus.

holy poo poo, lol

i just looked and apparently they did the same release in japan, so it wasn't actually the american distributors fault

Stringent fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 16, 2020

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_mg2w95D0

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

hulu and netflix are both tripping over their own dicks to try to sign and optionally do English dubs for as many anime series as they can get their talons in now because Crunchyroll is eating their poo poo at $7.99 a month

I'm not into anime at all but Akira is a cross-cultural treasure (that I am watching currently, thanks Hulu) and anyone who gives a gently caress about film should watch it regardless of their biases.

It's absolutely stunning.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i've only seen akira a few times, but it's neat how much detail / care was put into it, in ways that aren't obvious. there's a short scene, maybe ten seconds where you can see glimpses of a cityscape in the background. they hand painted this detailed backdrop that was only on screen for a few seconds that no one would even notice. touches like that are cool

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I'm not into anime at all but Akira is a cross-cultural treasure (that I am watching currently, thanks Hulu) and anyone who gives a gently caress about film should watch it regardless of their biases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_xlkBuSac

this is where you go when the mods probe you

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Stringent posted:

i'm sorry you keep getting murdered in the street

eat poo poo, chud

Apr 7, 2003

psiox posted:

eat poo poo, chud

Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

i've only seen akira a few times, but it's neat how much detail / care was put into it, in ways that aren't obvious. there's a short scene, maybe ten seconds where you can see glimpses of a cityscape in the background. they hand painted this detailed backdrop that was only on screen for a few seconds that no one would even notice. touches like that are cool

Makes you think about Japan has 1700 miles of 200mph rail and we have Elon Musk and sad promises.

200mph rail would fix our rural problems pretty fast

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

200mph rail would fix our rural problems pretty fast

that's neat to think about, Japan's rural areas still have a lot of problems with depopulation and economic stagnation due to lack of employment, but it would undoubtedly be a lot worse without the train system

Apr 7, 2003

Me, to my wife; it’s time to think about possibly watching some anime at some point. Here’s a well known anime, “Akira”. Possibly we can enjoy this?

My wife’s lunch box:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Me, to my wife; it’s time to think about possibly watching some anime at some point. Here’s a well known anime, “Akira”. Possibly we can enjoy this?

My wife’s lunch box:

CARRAGEENAN
CHOLESTEROL

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

no joke nice butter there

Apr 7, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

no joke nice butter there

It's good bakin' butter.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kerrygold butter is the only fresh food product I intentionally buy from another country

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

THANK YOU I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS FOREVER

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

lovely numetal band

so lovely that they had a single in 2002 after everyone stopped identifying as numetal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQYm54oBog

don't actually click and watch the video because they get money for it.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

don't actually click and watch the video because they get money for it.

It's just the singer dude running around screeching right now, so you can assume that three other people abandoned him and deserve money

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
when i was 19 i won tickets on the radio to a show with smile empty soul, seether, and trapt. we walked out during trapt but the others were cool.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

It's just the singer dude running around screeching right now, so you can assume that three other people abandoned him and deserve money

You mean the fourteen other people:

Members
Chris Taylor Brown
Pete Charell
Brendan Hengle

Past members
Manny Terres
Mike Smith
Aaron Azlant
Simon Ormandy
Rick Sanders
David Stege
Robin Diaz
Aaron "Monty" Montgomery
Robb Torres
Travis Miguel
Dylan Thomas Howard
Ty Fury
David Suddock
Collin Dz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stringent posted:

that's neat to think about, Japan's rural areas still have a lot of problems with depopulation and economic stagnation due to lack of employment, but it would undoubtedly be a lot worse without the train system

i've honestly thought more than once about japanese rednecks. Like, there have to be some fuckers over there living in leaky lovely shacks on 3 acres absolutely full of rusted out cars, and they ride dirt bikes over a berm for fun and drink too much.

i want to hang out with japanese hillbillies. i hear that, like us, they have a weird nationalist/monarchist bent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonny 290 posted:

i've honestly thought more than once about japanese rednecks. Like, there have to be some fuckers over there living in leaky lovely shacks on 3 acres absolutely full of rusted out cars, and they ride dirt bikes over a berm for fun and drink too much.

i want to hang out with japanese hillbillies. i hear that, like us, they have a weird nationalist/monarchist bent though.

the worst part is they've always got a dog chained up in the yard. the nationalist poo poo is mostly just parochialism, you'd probably be the first non-asian person they'd ever met irl and they'd be over the moon about it.