Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Schadenboner posted:

Oh man, I used to watch the poo poo out of these when I was CJing the computer labs. loving Newgrounds or some poo poo?

idk, pretty sure i first saw this one around 1999

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

idk, pretty sure i first saw this one around 1999

1999 sounds about right

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

see also: ozark

yeah, it sets up and then knocks down the hur dur hicks stereotype and by the latest season i just want to see ruth find a happy life :sigh:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

you saved the day there, you little pisspot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

that baby is deaf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it appears to have ear plugs

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

that baby is deaf

he puts cotton in the baby's ears

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

that's literally the face i make whenever someone tells me "no you'll like this anime i swear

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Arr/status/1326984646937096192

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
gently caress yes

paulie and silvio are still the best even if i’m starting to see their darkest sides in mid-late s3

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we just watched the ep where chris gets the crazy horse and hands it to adrianna which I know know to be her downfall

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

gently caress yes

paulie and silvio are still the best even if i’m starting to see their darkest sides in mid-late s3

did you see the one where paulie yells slurs at a ghost yet?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

did you see the one where paulie yells slurs at a ghost yet?
no. but now i am extremely looking forward to it

the ep where joey pants beats a pregnant stripper to death, who was earlier roughed up by silvio, was only a couple eps ago

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

no. but now i am extremely looking forward to it

the ep where joey pants beats a pregnant stripper to death, who was earlier roughed up by silvio, was only a couple eps ago

that's a rough one, nobody cares about the lady and are only mad because he "disrespected the bing"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that's a rough one, nobody cares about the lady and are only mad because he "disrespected the bing"
i said it in here earlier this werk but it’s currently my pick for “worst episode” tied with the one where chris and ade try to manage a horrible horrible band

it’s still a very bleak, hosed up ep, even if it ultimately does have a relevant message

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My wife and I just started DS9 and it just struck me as ironic that the platonic ideal of a Star Trek show takes place on a stationary starbase.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My wife and I just started DS9 and it just struck me as ironic that the platonic ideal of a Star Trek show takes place on a stationary starbase.

good news!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

poo poo friends took a dark turn in those later seasons

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we rewatched toys for the first time each in what must be at least 20 years and holy moly is that movie longer and stranger than i remember. ll cool j is the standout of the film and robin wright sounds like a different person because i guess im not used to her voice being higher pitched and twangy

this movies visuals are both disorienting and starkly abstract and it brings back some of those scissorhands vibes which i like but also found disjointed since they never anchor the film in the greater world outside the factory. like why not show the neighboring town a bit? it would have humanized everyone. as it is they may as well be toys themselves in a tacky tableau

highlights include the fact that the whole film is set in the rolling fields of windows xp wallpaper and the battery life joke that for some reason made me burst out laughing :confused:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2UKYBNSRaI&t=29s

this is one reason why HD and good speakers own

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 16, 2020

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also I gotta keep recommending gurren lagann. it's still on canadian netflix so use your vpn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRNHQ--aho

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I read volume 2 of akira today. it was cool.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

I read volume 2 of akira today. it was cool.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i watched the netflix chess show. it was alright and i liked it but i think if it wasnt about chess and was the same story but about something i dont care about i would have been kinda bored

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i really liked The Surrounding Game - that one's about go and pro players

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i watched the netflix chess show. it was alright and i liked it but i think if it wasnt about chess and was the same story but about something i dont care about i would have been kinda bored

thanks for that summary - I was considering it, but don't really care about chess. ill give it a pass

escobar is gonna get got on the episode of narcos im gonna watch tonight

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i really liked The Surrounding Game - that one's about go and pro players

go is fun, I can play that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I rewatched johnny mnemonic last night, it’s amazing how bad of a screenwriter gibson is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Johnny Mnemonic is a masterpiece and I will not hear otherwise

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

I rewatched johnny mnemonic last night, it’s amazing how bad of a screenwriter gibson is

oh man i never realized he'd worked on the adaptation

his writing especially like fragments of a hologram rose and red star winter orbit blew my mind

but gently caress it he's still good on twitter

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is a masterpiece and I will not hear otherwise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it was super fun watching it with someone who had no idea what jones was

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i know one of the johnny body doubles, because toronto is a real small town

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love gibson’s books but the best parts of them are in how he creates imagery which there’s no way to do well in film when you’re supposed to show and not tell. you’d need a director and production designer who were super careful and detailed with the look

it’s weird because the structure of most of his books is very movie-like, in how you have multiple people/groups who weave in and out of one narrative but if you look at that movie and his 2 xfiles episodes his dialog is awful

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
actually how do you get $30M and keanu reeves, take a very short story about a technical boy who goes lo-tek with a sawed off shotgun and go all oooh this is the matrix ooooh look at the cyber?

it's not bad but it could have been an early john wick

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
when do you think johnny mnemonic came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this is maybe a weird nitpick but the thing that bothered me most about the chess show is how the main character never really has a coach or even people to practice with except for a couple extremely short periods of time. it's kinda implied she's read a bunch of books on her own off screen, but the show portrays her just as a unique genius who was able to become the best player in the world by pure talent & instinct. you never really get the impression she was studying or trying very hard, and all the players she ended up winning against were also talented & took the game seriously while she just got wasted all the time but it didnt matter because she was naturally so much better than everyone else. she sobered up like 1 day before her world championship match and that was enough to win