Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
I think this is what the both of you are asking for: https://imgur.com/a/uBRw2Jn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

For a kid's loft, I'd go with 2 2x6 "beams" one attached to the wall, on supported with a 4x4 midspan like you mentioned on the long sides, then use 2x4's with joist hangers at 24" centers, mounted in the "short" direction.

Basically the shorter the joist the better, and the smaller lumber you can use, you don't need cross bracing or blocking or anything else to make it structurally sound.

It's a kid's play loft, it doesn't need to support real world loads, but what I told you should be approximately code legal for your area (the general "rule of thumb" is a board can span an unsupported distance in feet about equal to its size in inches, i.e. a 2x4 us good for about 4' a 2x12 for about 12') which would be a good baseline to go off of.

But IANAC and I ask my buddies who are when I have code questions.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Are combo leaf blower/mulcher/vacuums any good at the vac & mulch part? My backyard is tiered so leaves have to be carried out to the street instead of just blown/raked, it'd be easier if I could just suck them up.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 16, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my experience the bag fills up very quickly and dealing with that is way more cumbersome than taking the leaves onto a tarp and dragging them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Toebone posted:

Are combo leaf blower/mulcher/vacuums any good at the vac & mulch part? My backyard is tiered so leaves have to be carried out to the street instead of just blown/raked, it'd be easier if I could just suck them up.

The Dave posted:

In my experience the bag fills up very quickly and dealing with that is way more cumbersome than taking the leaves onto a tarp and dragging them.

The suck range is also pretty small and prone to clogging at the nozzle, so along with dumping the bag a lot you're also not covering ground very fast

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Toebone posted:

My yard is about 75' X 100' with several older trees, two ash, two tulip poplar, an American Elm, and a ton of old-growth (i.e.) large shrubbery.

After hand raking it once, in 1992, I picked up a 2-stroke hand-held which was a blower with a vacuum attachment. The vacuum part did not work great unless the leaves were bone-dry and the bag filled up too quickly. It was heavy as a blower only. Got rid of it for a backpack blower.

What worked for me was a yard vacuum: https://www.craftsman.com/products/outdoor-tools-equipment/chippers-shredders/cmxgpam1080054--24-in-163cc-chipper-shredder-vacuum

This thing pulls a ton and holds a goodly amount of shredded leaves. The only vacuums that hold more are Billy Goats (Larger bag frame, but expensive) or a riding mower with the giant bin trailing behind. That said: where the leaves are really dense on the ground, the bag will fill quickly, but it'll still be 20-lbs of mulched leaves.

It takes me less than two hours to do a heavily-covered yard. Six to ten trips to the curb will produce a pile about 16' X 3' wide at the base X 2' high, of dense, mulched leaf matter that will not blow away. If you are extremely anal-retentive, you can have zero leaves in your yard for a couple minutes. It'll pick up everything.

In the last couple of years, I've taken to using the lawn mower with a mulching blade, to 'do' the first fall of leaves. They're completely mulched and disappear; sometimes, in really dense areas, I have to roll over a string of heavily-mulched leaves a second time. Thereafter, it's vacuum time.

Mine does not have the blower hose crap on it. Frankly, I'd not install it & use either the blower nozzle that should attach where the bag clips onto the rear of the deck, or a hand-held blower. The nozzle attachment will move a ton of leaf matter. When the leaves are thin on the ground, it's fairly easy to blow them into a few denser runs for easier vacuuming.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 16, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wait...you people live places where you can leave loose leaves on the curb and they get picked up? drat...we have to bag them, here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait...you people live places where you can leave loose leaves on the curb and they get picked up? drat...we have to bag them, here.

All the munis around here bought leaf vac trailers decades ago. It's simply too wooded to expect people to bag all the leaves they need to pick up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

They give us up to two big wheeled bins for yard waste here, bags forbidden. You can put more or less any organic yard waste you want in them. Weekly pickup, included in our ~$365/year sewer/sweeping/trash bill. If the garbage trucks ram can crush it you can put it in there. We're also dense suburbs so not nearly the miles as you country folk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Motronic posted:

All the munis around here bought leaf vac trailers decades ago. It's simply too wooded to expect people to bag all the leaves they need to pick up.

To be fair, I think a LOT of people around here think the same.

They started leaf pickup in my neighborhood/ward two weeks ago...and you wouldn't know it. Still bags and bags everywhere. I've seen many posts on various local FB groups and whatnot basically asking why the city doesn't get leaf vac trucks.

But of course, if they did, you betcha they'd complain the NEXT year, after seeing a new truck, that they think it's a waste of tax dollars.

But surely something has to be better than the current system, which as far as i can tell from driving by it a few times, is just an F-350 dually with some high sides.

Like..how many bags can that possibly hold? 100? At least have it pull a trailer at the same time, double/triple up that capacity before it has to be dumped.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

I avoid anything large/wheeled like that, since my backyard is tiered and I'd have to build a ramp or carry it down the staircase. Maybe I'll grab a pair of those big plastic hand scoops for leaves.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My town has to spend 2 weeks going around with huge dump trucks picking up leaf bags because this is what the neighborhood looks like. Of course they don't tell you when so you have to put them out and when it inevitably rains, the whole neighborhood smells like mulch and rear end. It's loving stupid.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2014805,-73.2662698,1034m/data=!3m1!1e3

H110Hawk posted:

Also rigging is its own special hell when it comes to math. I failed trig twice so good luck with that. But to slow a fall you need a counterweight which just made your calculations WAY harder. Arresting (stopping, making less catastrophically shocking) a fall is as describe previously. Your best bet is to simply follow the other advice of "never stand under your load" (or in the path of it when your rope breaks.) Get straps to do the holding, ropes to do the lifting. Can you post a picture of what you're trying to do and where? (Please be a car.)
Autodesk ForceEffect is a free app and helps immensely with load calculations. It's quick and easy to punch in lengths, angles, and masses and double check whether the standard installation scheme is good or I should shoot up a couple of extra anchors and wires to make sure I'm comfortably over a 5x safety margin (or in rare cases, whether I need to use heavier duty anchors and chain). For the hoist project, it will help you make sure you're in the right ballpark for what you want to lift.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Autodesk ForceEffect is a free app and helps immensely with load calculations.

Neat! Thanks.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Motronic posted:

Not over here. ☹️ Leaves in the street just turn into a mess.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Dumb mildly curious about it question, a friend of mine has this odd electrical hook up on the side of his house and neither of us quite know what it is:

He's never used it, and many other people have suggested electrical for spa/hot tub, sprinkler system, or generator but my google fu is failing me as to what those connectors look like or return connectors that are not a goofy looking oversized vaguely ethernet cable design. I'm sure this is painfully obvious to the DIY goon hivemind.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I can't tell how big that is. Is that an RJ-11 phone jack?
https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/rj-11

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Yeah that looks like a phone or Ethernet jack.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jenkl posted:

Yeah that looks like a phone or Ethernet jack.

I just want to believe I'm wrong, because if I'm right, both the poster and his friend are too young to have ever seen wired phone jacks.

and that will make me feel ancient

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ethernet and phone jacks are nearly the same size, and supposedly he tried an end of an ethernet cable in it to be sure and the hole for it is much larger, close to an inch in size? I've only got the same pictures and his verbal description to go on myself. Plus there is the screw threads to consider too. I also can't imagine why you'd need a phone jack on the outside of a house but stranger things have happened.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Ethernet and phone jacks are nearly the same size, and supposedly he tried an end of an ethernet cable in it to be sure and the hole for it is much larger, close to an inch in size? I've only got the same pictures and his verbal description to go on myself. Plus there is the screw threads to consider too. I also can't imagine why you'd need a phone jack on the outside of a house but stranger things have happened.

Some telcos will put a little utility box on the outside of a house where they connect the wire from pole to the wire that's running inside the house. That jack could be the place to connect the telco hookup... it's just that there is no telco hookup. So it's covered with that weatherproof flap instead. I dunno I got nothin', I'm not really a DIY guy I just thought the post was interesting.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Voting ethernet because I wired many a phone jack, and for a standard household phone they're four wires, of which only two are actually used at the end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Waterproofed comms hookup for an RV or similar?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Maybe some sort of old security camera hookup?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's definitely a datacomm connector of some sort.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

My town has to spend 2 weeks going around with huge dump trucks picking up leaf bags because this is what the neighborhood looks like. Of course they don't tell you when so you have to put them out and when it inevitably rains, the whole neighborhood smells like mulch and rear end. It's loving stupid.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2014805,-73.2662698,1034m/data=!3m1!1e3

We don't have to bag leaves here. The county has big vaccuum trucks that go around and suck up leaves. They have a whole letter/number grid system to find out when your neighborhood is getting sucked. Then you just have to rake or blow the leaves by the curb and wait.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Waterproofed comms hookup for an RV or similar?

Perhaps we have a winner?

https://www.amazon.ca/ASICPICRJ45S-...432836390&psc=1

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for some type of 'desktop' freestanding shelf unit that can store a power supply, oscilloscope, DMM, and function generator (standard bench top devices, not like handhelds). Basically a way to lift those devices off the main area of a desk, without using wall mounting or similar.

e: something that I could buy on like Amazon or whatever, not a custom solution

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Natural-Bookshelf-Organizer-Bookcase/dp/B07RVNBJYQ/ref=sr_1_8 or one of the countless products associated with it?

"desktop shelf cubby" was how I got to that one, not sure how big you need but that might get you on the right track, unless you're after something more industrial. Monitor stands may also be worth looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Monitor-Computers-Printers-Organizer/dp/B07FF11VV2/ref=sr_1_17

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 17, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
IDK if this is the best place to ask, but I am looking for boxes for stuff. Clothes, books, etc. We're moving to a larger house in about 6 months and want to start packing stuff away and making space. We want to chuck away what we don't need and start packing the rest.

I want to buy like 20 plastic boxes that can stack inside each other when empty and on top of each other when full. Any recommendations, or should I just go on amazon and buy 20 of the cheapest box?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

IDK if this is the best place to ask, but I am looking for boxes for stuff. Clothes, books, etc. We're moving to a larger house in about 6 months and want to start packing stuff away and making space. We want to chuck away what we don't need and start packing the rest.

I want to buy like 20 plastic boxes that can stack inside each other when empty and on top of each other when full. Any recommendations, or should I just go on amazon and buy 20 of the cheapest box?

Home depot often has super discounts on the standard black plastic bins with a yellow lid. Sometime they go down to $5 or $6. Like this:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14496272-hdx-27-gal-tough-storage-bin-in-black-the-home-depot-7-98?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

This sounds like, at lest in pre-corona times, a Target/Home Depot/Lowes/whatever and check what's on sale for a few weeks kind of thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

You can buy cardboard moving boxes in bulk. They should be cheaper than plastic, with less environmental impact, and when you buy them they're super compact because they're collapsed.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Vapour barrier question:
For where wires pass through, tuck tape or acoustical?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bad Munki posted:

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Natural-Bookshelf-Organizer-Bookcase/dp/B07RVNBJYQ/ref=sr_1_8 or one of the countless products associated with it?

"desktop shelf cubby" was how I got to that one, not sure how big you need but that might get you on the right track, unless you're after something more industrial. Monitor stands may also be worth looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Monitor-Computers-Printers-Organizer/dp/B07FF11VV2/ref=sr_1_17

I looked at monitor stands but couldn't find any that were tall enough. Some lifted by like 6 inches, but I was hoping for at least a foot so I could work under it if needed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just something like this then, perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXL5IPY/ref=twister_B010NNOUKO?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Each of those squares is 13.5x13.5, and you can get these sorts of shelves literally everywhere, of whatever layout, color, and quality you want. 3x2 as above, or 1x2 or 1x3 or 4x2 or 3x6 or whatever, really. Equally available are bins of all sorts that fit them. These combined with the various trendy bins are a widespread fad right now so they're super available, it's like the sliding barn door of storage or something.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 18, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Everyone is right the weird connector has got to be some kind of RJ data connector, maybe the RJ45 linked even. Apparently it was the outer threads that were an inch big in diameter, and my friend must have tried a phone cord instead of something closer to ethernet shaped in it. He's quite technologically challenged so who know what he tried, but thanks all.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

redreader posted:

I bought 18 of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-12-Gal-Hinged-Lid-Industrial-Tote-Black-Set-of-6/44785751 a couple years ago before moving today my new house instead of using cardboard boxes for 2 reasons:
1. I had plenty of time and was doing most everything myself so I could pack, move, unpack, reuse the same bins over and over.
2. I knew 50% of the bins would never get unpacked and end up stored in the basement/garage.
They work pretty well and are alot cheaper than the Akro Mils style they are copying, but the all plastic hinge is crappy and broke in some places on a couple of mine. The damaged knes are stll mostly usuable though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

We have standardized on a plastic bin size here as well. It's great. We had storage built in the garage to the spec of fitting X of those bins per shelf per door. It means a heck of a lot less storage tetris because you're just getting all 4x4 blocks (effectively). That + a brother label maker (make sure you get one with a wall wart) or masking tape and a sharpie if you have legible handwriting makes our garage have the ability to be organized. It's not, but the thought is there and a couple of the doors now have useful labels on them. Christmas is coming so we will just pull out the bins labeled "christmas" and we're done. We know it all goes back, and we can easily track decoration creep.

Ours are the "handle-lock" style where the lid is one solid piece and the handles snap over the edge to hold it shut.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for some type of 'desktop' freestanding shelf unit that can store a power supply, oscilloscope, DMM, and function generator (standard bench top devices, not like handhelds). Basically a way to lift those devices off the main area of a desk, without using wall mounting or similar.

e: something that I could buy on like Amazon or whatever, not a custom solution

Ignoring the messy desk, something like this?

I just took some spare scrap boards and poorly dadoed them on the tablesaw and glued it up into a shelf. Took fifteen minutes to cut and another fifteen to glue up and it works nicely to expand my desk space. You could probably find nicer pre built stuff pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

H110Hawk posted:

We have standardized on a plastic bin size here as well. It's great.

Yeah pro-tip: If you find a storage tote you like, stock up. We had a 19 gallon we liked, but only bought as needed. Then when we needed more, we found out it's not made anymore. So now we have mismatched totes.