Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

So while reading The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow I ended up thinking "I bet this author is a woman" despite that Alix is a male name in my country.

Thinking about it more, being able to make an educated guess whether the author of a fantasy/sf novel is male or female based on the writing style is probably a bit similar to being able to guess whether the book was written in the 1970s or the 2010s. Or similar to being able to guess whether the book was written in English or translated. I.e. you have books that are clearly in one category or another, but also books where it's hard to tell. At the same time it's quite hard to point out why.

I've also come to the conclusion that I tend to like books written by women more often than books written by men...

Robert Silverberg posted:

It has been suggested that Tiptree is female, a theory that I find absurd, for there is to me something ineluctably masculine about Tiptree's writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
It's basically just down to whether and how they describe boobs.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ben Nevis posted:

/r menwritingwomen is pretty great.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

If they say they're like bags of sand its a dead giveaway.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Oh wow, I got curious and I just took a look at the 40 or so SFF books I've read this year and maybe only about 4 of them were written by cishet men? Mostly new titles but a good amount of older stuff too (I finally read some Ursula K. Le Guin after meaning to for a few years now).

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I wouldn't say I like books written by women more, but they are definitely a breath of fresh air. They frequently go down less traveled paths, breaking away from some of the more common tropes. The main character is less likely to just happen to be a 6'4" special ops dude named Max Power, but if he is, he'll still probably have a unique personality. When characters are The Chosen One, it's generally at least in a new and interesting way. I also definitely think women authors had to be flat out better to get any recognition until pretty recently in sci-fi. It was a lot harder for a mediocre woman writer to gain any traction, meaning the ones that did were usually a cut above the majority of authors at the time and couldn't skate by on only being good at one thing like so many of the "big ideas" male authors did.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XFYIE2/

Borne by Jeff VanderMeer - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M98T0J7/

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just finished the audiobook of Piranesi. It's read by Chiwetel Ejiofor, and he did an amazing job.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Sheriff Falc posted:

I'm in the mood for some grimdark fantasy.

Is there any grimdark out there that people can recommend? Or rather, is there a grimdark novel/series out there people consider to be the hallmark standard?

I can tolerate most of the pitfalls of the genre. Might be worth a heads up if you're recommending anything really out there in terms of its impact though.

Richard K Morgan's A Land Fit For Heroes was pretty loving grimdark and I enjoyed it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just finished the audiobook of Piranesi. It's read by Chiwetel Ejiofor, and he did an amazing job.

Seconding this in a big way. I'm nearing the end of the audiobook as well and it's been fantastic. Also, weirdly, a good companion to Cultist Simulator if anyone else enjoyed that game's take on dreamlike otherworldly spaces.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

pradmer posted:

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XFYIE2/

This is a good book if you haven't read it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lois McMaster Bujold and Ursula LeGuin exist, just to name two. You've got to reach really hard to outmatch those two grandmasters.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Lois McMaster Bujold and Ursula LeGuin exist, just to name two. You've got to reach really hard to outmatch those two grandmasters.

C.J. Cherryh too.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Okay going back to Authority for a bit my impression was Ghost Bird was hypnotizing Control during their one on ones. I have not seen anyone mention this ever which leads me to believe I am in fact the wrong one?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
First 4 of the Occult Assassin series by William Massa is free for a bit on kindle.

It's sort of like if the Punisher got hired to be a ghostbuster, from what I understand.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

OK got the burning God, let's see how this ends

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd somehow never heard of this before but it certainly reinforces my vague view that Harlan Ellison was a gigantic arsehole

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'd somehow never heard of this before but it certainly reinforces my vague view that Harlan Ellison was a gigantic arsehole

I don't think that's ever been in dispute even by the people who were still his friends after he sexually assaulted Connie Willis on stage for a "laugh".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

Okay going back to Authority for a bit my impression was Ghost Bird was hypnotizing Control during their one on ones. I have not seen anyone mention this ever which leads me to believe I am in fact the wrong one?

the hypnosis is definitely happening through the phone calls with his handlers, i don't think Ghost Bird is related to it iirc

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The Chad Jihad posted:

The only hypnosis going on there is titties

mewse
May 2, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Went down the rabbit hole a bit on this, what a douchebag. Just off the top of my head I'm pretty sure GRRM has organized compilations and he wouldn't do something like delay the project for 45 years and then die before releasing it, what a monumentally lovely thing to do to colleagues

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

mewse posted:

Went down the rabbit hole a bit on this, what a douchebag. Just off the top of my head I'm pretty sure GRRM has organized compilations and he wouldn't do something like delay the project for 45 years and then die before releasing it, what a monumentally lovely thing to do to colleagues

If you want to learn even more, Christopher Priest (the British horror writer who did The Prestige, not the American comics writer best known for Black Panther) wrote The Book on the Edge of Forever to document Ellison's repeated failures to bring TLDV to print.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The text for that was originally written under the title The Last Deadloss Visions sometime around 1987, and it used to be posted online for a while. Fortunately, it was on a site the Internet Archive managed to catalogue, so you can read it here if you want.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000902203835/http://sf.www.lysator.liu.se/sf_archive/sf-texts/Ansible/Last_Deadloss_Visions,Chris_Priest

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I am firmly in the "Ellison deliberately held LVD back at first, then got screwed by daytime soap operas" camp. By the late 1970's most of the risque themes in the 2 earlier Dangerous Visions collections were being broadcast for free on a weekly/daily basis on daytime TV soap operas.
Plus the power trip of locking away his direct competitors best stories must have been epic for a hyper-thin skinned person like Harlan Ellison that thrived on spite and issuing lawsuits.

mllaneza posted:

Andre Norton easily matched those two. Although like Damon Knight, most of the things in Andre Norton's work have become common fantasy & sci-fi tropes. Right now, Knight's & Norton's stories are very predictable and boring, however back when they were first written they were top-notch.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sheriff Falc posted:

I'm in the mood for some grimdark fantasy.

Is there any grimdark out there that people can recommend? Or rather, is there a grimdark novel/series out there people consider to be the hallmark standard?

I can tolerate most of the pitfalls of the genre. Might be worth a heads up if you're recommending anything really out there in terms of its impact though.

I mean, Robert E. Howard.

The first three books of the Black Company series by Glenn Cook.

For a deep cut, Charles Edward Wagner's Kane series.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

eke out posted:

the hypnosis is definitely happening through the phone calls with his handlers, i don't think Ghost Bird is related to it iirc

General Battuta posted:

The only hypnosis going on there is titties

gently caress, I specifically thought that and dismissed it. He was getting roped in so easily! He couldn't be that horny on main in my cosmic horror!?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

The text for that was originally written under the title The Last Deadloss Visions sometime around 1987, and it used to be posted online for a while. Fortunately, it was on a site the Internet Archive managed to catalogue, so you can read it here if you want.

[url]https://web.archive.org/web/20000902203835/http://sf.https://www.lysator.liu.se/sf_archive/sf-texts/Ansible/Last_Deadloss_Visions,Chris_Priest[/url]

:smuggo: heh

George RR Martin in The Last Deadloss Visions posted:

There's no doubt in my mind that the lengthy delay of TLDV has been a tragedy--a tragedy for readers like myself who have been looking forward to the book, a tragedy for the field that badly needs a shot of the sort of literary adrenaline the previous DV volumes have supplied, a particular tragedy for the writers involved, and especially a tragedy for Harlan himself. I can only hope that, somehow or other, this tragedy will turn out to have a happy ending. Despite everything, you know, I'd still like to read the book, and so would a lot of other people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even if you're only recommending the first three in the series, throw in The Silver Spike which is an excellent take on a noir swords & sorcery tale. If Dashiel Hammett wrote S&S, it'd look like this.

Not to say that the rest of the series isn't properly grimdark - it's some of the best of the breed - it's just that at the end of the first trilogy, people split into two groups and Silver Spike wraps up one group's story there's even a happy ending for a couple of people. Follow the other group for the rest of the series and a much, much smaller proportion of the characters has a happy ending.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Going to pick up a few (Janny Wurts seems cool) and see if they're my kind of thing.

Ccs posted:

I'm assuming you've already read Joe Abercrombie' stuff? He's kind of the poster child for grimdark though I find his work so funny that it doesn't strike me as too grim.

More grin-dark than grim dark.

I have tried to get through The Blade Itself a few times and bounced off it pretty hard, which sucks because I want to like it but there's something in there that I'm just not vibing with. I don't think they're bad books or anything, maybe they're just not my thing. Maybe it's the grin-dark black humour stuff you mentioned.

Abercrombie has a new series out (well, published in 2018), and I picked up the first book in that today which I will also take a shot at. I think his style in a slightly different setting with different characters could gel with me.

I mean, Robert E. Howard.

I have read the first Black Company book what feels like decades ago. Funnily enough, it was recommended in the afterward of one of the ASOIAF books and that was good enough for me at the time, because in 2007 GRRM was absolutely The poo poo if you were into fantasy. I found Cook's writing to be fun, if not super compelling. I kind of ruined the series for myself (perhaps even on these here forums? cant remember) by reading weird spoilers from the later books which seemed all kinds of off the rails. I think I will give it a re-read and the series another shot. I'm assuming it's like Dune where the best approach is to read books 1-3 and pretend there are no further sequels?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sheriff Falc posted:

I'm assuming it's like Dune where the best approach is to read books 1-3 and pretend there are no further sequels?

Some people really like the later ones, but I'm not personally going to recommend them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, for the 5 people who read the old thread and remember the Tim Reaper series by Sean cummings, I just found out the second book got released a while back!

There's some short stories as well.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sheriff Falc posted:

I have read the first Black Company book what feels like decades ago. Funnily enough, it was recommended in the afterward of one of the ASOIAF books and that was good enough for me at the time, because in 2007 GRRM was absolutely The poo poo if you were into fantasy. I found Cook's writing to be fun, if not super compelling. I kind of ruined the series for myself (perhaps even on these here forums? cant remember) by reading weird spoilers from the later books which seemed all kinds of off the rails. I think I will give it a re-read and the series another shot. I'm assuming it's like Dune where the best approach is to read books 1-3 and pretend there are no further sequels?

It's like Dune in that you read until you hit a book that makes you say "gently caress it, I'm out", whichever book that happens to be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Khizan posted:

It's like Dune in that you read until you hit a book that makes you say "gently caress it, I'm out", whichever book that happens to be.

But really, isn't every series like that? If the series ends before you say gently caress It, that's a victory.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol while rereading "the man in the high castle", I noticed that someone IRL has actually published a book called "the grasshopper lies heavy" pulling the same alternate world/war history trope (the reviews for it are pretty bad).

are there other examples of a third party actualizing a fictional piece of fiction?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

But really, isn't every series like that? If the series ends before you say gently caress It, that's a victory.

Sometimes a series will have one bad volume in the middle before returning to form.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just to help anyone searching, it's Karl Edward Wagner.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sheriff Falc posted:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Going to pick up a few (Janny Wurts seems cool) and see if they're my kind of thing.

You might enjoy Elric of Melnibone it's not exactly grimdark but it's definitely not overly pleasant and is almost anti-Tolkein. Moorcock was literally pretty anti-tolkein, and he has a funny name.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol while rereading "the man in the high castle", I noticed that someone IRL has actually published a book called "the grasshopper lies heavy" pulling the same alternate world/war history trope (the reviews for it are pretty bad).

are there other examples of a third party actualizing a fictional piece of fiction?

This was Philip Jose Farmer's entire sideline during the 60's & 70's. Farmer operated under the principles that Dead authors can't sue, and live authors rarely can afford to sue (except for Harlan Ellison).

SFL Archives 1988: George RR Martin is being discussed, and for 1988 SFLer's GRRM is currently best known for being the script-editor and producer for the 1980's Beauty and the Beast tv series starring Linda Hamilton & Ron Perlman

Carrier
May 12, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

You might enjoy Elric of Melnibone it's not exactly grimdark but it's definitely not overly pleasant and is almost anti-Tolkein. Moorcock was literally pretty anti-tolkein, and he has a funny name.

Moorcock owns (do NOT quote me out of context!)

I was addicted to the Hawkmoon books as a kid, as well as Elric. Was such a difference from the easy YA fantasy I was reading. It was also fun, as a brit, reading about the evil dark empire of GranBretan which was definitely the first time I got exposed to the idea that maybe GB wasn't so swell after all.

EDIT:

Wikipedia description of GranBretan:

quote:

The inhabitants of Granbretan are renowned for their cruelty, and for their practice of wearing masks at all times.

well he got it 50% right!

EDIT 2:

quote:

The "terrifying ancient gods of Granbretan who were said to have ruled the land before the Tragic Millennium" are based on The Beatles: Jhone, Jhorg, Phowl and Rhunga.

Yet other gods from the "tragic millennium" are based on 20th Century British Prime Ministers (Chirshil, the Howling God (Winston Churchill) and Aral Vilsn, the Roaring God (Harold Wilson), Supreme God) or writers: Bjrin Adass, the Singing God (Brian Aldiss); Jeajee Blad, the Groaning God (J. G. Ballard); Jh'Im Slas, the Weeping God (James Sallis).

"Aral Vilsn, the Roaring God" is the "father of Skvese ("credit squeeze") and Blansacredid ("balance of credit") the gods of Doom and Chaos", named after economic terms of the period when the books were written.

:allears:

Carrier fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

jng2058 posted:

It's not uncommon for a long-running series to start out kind of wobbly before the author finds their feet (Discworld is commonly described this way, to the extent that some people will recommend skipping the first several books entirely) or have a mediocre book or two in the middle of a series that otherwise starts and finishes strong.

The reason people recommend that you "stop when you stop enjoying it" for Dune specifically is that it's all downhill. If you hit a book you don't enjoy, well, the next book is no better, and probably worse.

Personally, I liked all the Black Company books and thought that it absolutely stuck the landing, but a lot of people seem to dislike the later books, and I think it probably is true that if you start disliking them you probably won't start liking them again before the end.