Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

Post Disaster has artificial gravity technology used in every Mobile Suit and spaceship. It's plausible enough (by science fiction standards, anyway) that Ahab Reactors were also part of the Martian terraforming, meaning that Mars and Earth have similar levels of gravity.

Looking at a height chart, it seems like Ein's not just shorter than Gaelio (about 5'9'') he's also comparatively scrawny. Meanwhile, Kudelia's father, who's pretty well off, is 6'2'' and relatively stocky.

But yeah. In general, Gjallarhorn's ruling families are tall. (To the point where I kind of wonder if there was some genetic engineering in their history.)

Considering they have gravity manipulation technology, I'm kinda surprised there's no examples of that being weaponized in IBO to my recollection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Considering they have gravity manipulation technology, I'm kinda surprised there's no examples of that being weaponized in IBO to my recollection

The way the reactors generate gravity might preclude this, and it also might involve having to chuck a working Ahab Reactor at the baddies, which is presumably less than ideal given that Gjallarhorn wants to keep limited and the not-Gjallarhorn need every one they have for things like mobile suits and warships.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
It's also possible that the gravity field generated by an Ahab reactor is relatively short range limiting it's use as a weapon. As well the Ahab wave field might cancel the gravity effect from another reactor.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

OptimusShr posted:

It's also possible that the gravity field generated by an Ahab reactor is relatively short range limiting it's use as a weapon. As well the Ahab wave field might cancel the gravity effect from another reactor.

I believe the reverse is true, multiple reactors in close proximity amplify the distortion. The shoal zone the Brewers arc takes place in is essentially a Calamity War starship graveyard, where the reactors have clumped together to form danger areas with gravity wells strong enough to rip ships apart from the tidal forces involved.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 18, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I believe the reverse is true, multiple reactors in close proximity amplify the distortion. The shoal zone the Brewers arc takes place in is essentially a massive ship graveyard, where the reactors have clumped together to form danger areas with gravity wells strong enough to crumple ships like tin cans.

Which is probably another reason why no one sane would try and turn a reactor into a bomb: they don't want to create a shoal zone along routes frequently traveled.

BTW where did the many whelps tag come from?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gangtag thread in the WoW subforum.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Gangtag thread in the WoW subforum.

no?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:confused: I was replying to the person asking where I got it from?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Bloody Pom posted:

I believe the reverse is true, multiple reactors in close proximity amplify the distortion. The shoal zone the Brewers arc takes place in is essentially a Calamity War starship graveyard, where the reactors have clumped together to form danger areas with gravity wells strong enough to rip ships apart from the tidal forces involved.

Oh crap I totally forgot about the shoal zone. We should look up that episode see of there are any details they mention that could support any of our theories.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bloody Pom posted:

:confused: I was replying to the person asking where I got it from?

The WarCrimes one would be far more relevant to this thread.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

wdarkk posted:

The WarCrimes one would be far more relevant to this thread.

:hmmyes:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Think I'm gonna watch the seed compilations movies as a half asses compromise so I don't have to watch the full series wish me luck.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean you could just... not?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Think I'm gonna watch the seed compilations movies as a half asses compromise so I don't have to watch the full series wish me luck.

SEED does not merit the whole of anyone's rear end.

God be with you in your quest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

o7

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The compilation movies are definitely the proper way to watch Destiny.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The compilation movies are definitely the proper way to watch Destiny.

:confused:

The only winning move is not to play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The SRW Z let’s plays are definitely the proper way to watch Destiny.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Warmachine posted:

:confused:

The only winning move is not to play.

There is no proper way to watch Destiny so yes, follow this persons advice.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

:emptyquote:

Or L if you can find one/play it, where Shinn has some emotional intelligence and just ASKS Kira for his help against the Destroy to save Stella.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Or L if you can find one/play it, where Shinn has some emotional intelligence and just ASKS Kira for his help against the Destroy to save Stella.

Isn’t that the one where he asks Yzak or Dearka (I am not up on my SEED lore) what Kira’s deal was first?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Golly would this have fixed a lot of things. Maybe have everyone sit down with a pot of coffee afterword, talk about their experiences in the last war, empathize with Shinn and bring him onto Team Honorable Third Party Pacifists before they need to do the whole instrumentality thing.

(I'll admit, Shinn getting finished off in the finale with a roundhouse kick WAS funny.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's pretty funny to assume that Kira could actually persuade anyone to do anything, given that the one singular battlefield that Kira loses on every single time he enters it is the rhetorical one.

Honestly, the only person in the Lacus faction who is ever successful at persuading anyone of anything is Lacus herself. Kira sucks at it, and so does Cagalli, now that I think about it. Hell, Cagalli does try to talk Shinn down at one point and ends up blustering with no response when Shinn points out that the ORB government did basically no favors for anyone in the last war.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kira is a guy who couldnt come up with a good counter argument to a guy literally saying 'i alone have the right to judge humanity'

Like not that Rau would listen but I dont even remember Kira making the obvious counter of 'do you think you're the only person that's suffered'

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

wdarkk posted:

Isn’t that the one where he asks Yzak or Dearka (I am not up on my SEED lore) what Kira’s deal was first?

Yep!

Shinn decides to ask Dearka what Kira is like. Dearka basically says that Kira is actually awkward and kind of stupid, but that he is a good and moral person who doesn't like fighting and wants to protect people's lives. Based on that Shinn contacts the Freedom and asks for help shooting down the Destroy, which he does and it works and Stella survives.

Edit: Correction: On further inspection Kira actually figures out what Shinn was doing from all of his shouting and makes the first move to help him. Still, it's nice that L decided to let Kira be a hero instead of just killing Stella so they'd fight each other because LOL!Four. It actually puts Kira in a more positive light than DESTINY even when that show was bending over backwards to glorify him.

Endorph posted:

Kira is a guy who couldnt come up with a good counter argument to a guy literally saying 'i alone have the right to judge humanity'

Like not that Rau would listen but I dont even remember Kira making the obvious counter of 'do you think you're the only person that's suffered'

Which is once again a thing that happens in Super Robot Wars W where Kira stumbles over all of his words when Rau starts ranting and then other series characters pop in to say "we know you're bad at talking, Kira, so don't worry, we got this for you."

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kira not being good at talking would be an interesting character trait of his if it was actually something that caused him trouble, but whenever it causes him trouble the plot mostly goes out of its way to cover for him. Like Stella is a tragedy borne of both Kira and Shinn being terrible at communicating but Shinn gets most of the narrative fallout. And Andrew survives so Kira not being able to talk him down isn't really an issue. Uh, RIP Aisha, tho.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm also planning to watch Seed and Destiny over the Thanksgiving holiday. I anticipate coming out with some weird opinions and hating Lacus/Kira like the only time I watched Seed all the way through back as a teen. I remember nothing about Destiny except how disappointed bt Shinn I ended up and liking Lunamaria.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

holy gently caress this is ugly as sin

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kira is an engineering nerd, he doesn't know how to talk to people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, SEED is a very, very strong contender for the worst-looking Gundam. At least 0079 knew what to do with its limited resources and messy schedule, and forged a strong, charming aesthetic for itself. SEED is an unpleasant visual experience in pretty much every possible way.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stairmaster posted:

holy gently caress this is ugly as sin

SEED has not aged gracefully, no.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kira is an engineering nerd, he doesn't know how to talk to people.

It's one of the many things that got copied from 0079, where Amuro was more interested in nerd poo poo than girls, food, clothing himself, or not getting blown the gently caress up by space nazis.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, SEED is a very, very strong contender for the worst-looking Gundam. At least 0079 knew what to do with its limited resources and messy schedule, and forged a strong, charming aesthetic for itself. SEED is an unpleasant visual experience in pretty much every possible way.

Don't forget the gross and unnecessary random gorn every now and then

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

well thats 95 minutes of my life im not getting back

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why they fighting robot dogs tho

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They wanted that zoids money.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It's one of the many things that got copied from 0079, where Amuro was more interested in nerd poo poo than girls, food, clothing himself, or not getting blown the gently caress up by space nazis.

The difference is, for Amuro it felt natural. Dude had no real friends, hid in his room all the time, and didn't even wear pants until he was forced to.

Kira, meanwhile, has friends from the beginning who he regularly interacts with, he's got his bond with Athrun, and he seems to understand the basics of society. It makes his incompetence in formal argument feel much less organic and much more like, well, copying Amuro.

(Also, seriously Kira. Mikazuki is better at formal debate. Even when he doesn't just shoot his opponent to win by default.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Amuro being a conspiracy weirdo in 0079 is such a great character trait.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hell even Banagher is better at arguing than Kira, and that's really saying something for a guy whose fallback is "EVEN SO :byodood:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

otoh kira got laid on screen so perhaps hes more charming than all other gundam protags combined