Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I'm looking to get an external Bluray drive so that I can rip films with Make Mkv. Is the Pioneer BDR-XD07TB any good? It often gets good reviews online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rascar Capac posted:

I'm looking to get an external Bluray drive so that I can rip films with Make Mkv. Is the Pioneer BDR-XD07TB any good? It often gets good reviews online.

I’ve yet to really dig into mine, but LG makes one that’s UHD compatible. It’s the LG BP60NB10.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rascar Capac posted:

I'm using the XD05 1.20 right now, and just finished ripping what was my 20th Disney bluray using MakeMKV on my Mac.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Rascar Capac posted:

Practically no complaints about BDR-XD05S. Feels a bit flimsy, but that's about it. No 4K capabilities though.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You know something though, Cartoons on film do usually have brighter greens and turquoises than generationally degraded copies. At least the looney tunes I saw, that once, had pretty brighy cyans, it's in the realm of possibility the cinderella fix used a very easily faded teal. Erasing lines on the dress and being the colors of ads for toys nonwithstanding.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't even want to think about what they might have done to Sleeping Beauty.

The Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale has cels and art from the film and the backgrounds are loving gorgeous.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Christ the Blu-ray.com reviews are pretty good. I’ve been had!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Alec Eiffel posted:

Christ the Blu-ray.com reviews are pretty good. I’ve been had!

Some of their reviewers are almost hilariously inept. I'm pretty sure Jeffrey Kauffman is legally blind.

e: The Sword in the Stone is probably Disney's most spectacular gently caress-up: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3269&d2=3262&s1=30074&s2=29993&i=9&l=0

I particularly like this comparison between the title menu and the actual film: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3263&d2=3262&s1=30010&s2=29994&i=10&l=0

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 20, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Steen71 posted:

Some of their reviewers are almost hilariously inept. I'm pretty sure Jeffrey Kauffman is legally blind.

e: The Sword in the Stone is probably Disney's most spectacular gently caress-up: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3269&d2=3262&s1=30074&s2=29993&i=9&l=0

I particularly like this comparison between the title menu and the actual film: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=3263&d2=3262&s1=30010&s2=29994&i=10&l=0

Oh god that's painful.

e: the bluray.com reviewer gives the video 1.5 stars out of 5, and doesn't even seem to have noticed the incorrect aspect ratio.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 20, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Ghostbusters is another one that really isn't worth getting on UHD, although I did end up with it because I wanted GB2 and there was a nice steelbook with both. But Ghostbusters is a good example of how a really nice top of the line blu ray can make a UHD unnecessary, because there was a fairly recent anniversary blu ray where they used a 4k master so in the end the only thing about the UHD that is really an upgrade is the HDR. And that's nice in certain specific scenes with the ghosts and the proton streams and all that, but the movie itself is very grainy and I think in the end the regular blu ray is just a more pleasing look overall.

Ghostbusters seems to be the most polarizing one, because some people really hate the way it looks in UHD for some reason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Ghostbusters seems to be the most polarizing one, because some people really hate the way it looks in UHD for some reason.

There's a point where grain becomes too much to where it's distracting, and Ghostbusters seems to be over the line for a lot of people. Personally I don't hate it, I just think the 2014 blu ray that was mastered in 4k looks fantastic and comes out ahead overall.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Liar Lyre posted:

I’ve yet to really dig into mine, but LG makes one that’s UHD compatible. It’s the LG BP60NB10.

IUG posted:

I'm using the XD05 1.20 right now, and just finished ripping what was my 20th Disney bluray using MakeMKV on my Mac.

ringu0 posted:

Practically no complaints about BDR-XD05S. Feels a bit flimsy, but that's about it. No 4K capabilities though.

Thanks everyone, this has helped me decide what to do.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1329838875846598658?s=21

Pretty cool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dope

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Iron Crowned posted:

Basebf555 posted:

There's a point where grain becomes too much to where it's distracting, and Ghostbusters seems to be over the line for a lot of people. Personally I don't hate it, I just think the 2014 blu ray that was mastered in 4k looks fantastic and comes out ahead overall.

At least with Ghostbusters, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue was they didn't soften the image of whatever source they were working from during the mastering session. James Chressanthis, ASC, who was a close friend of Vilmos Zsigmond and Laszlo Kovacs (who shot Ghostbusters), mentioned that a lot of mastering houses leave the grain sharp when they shouldn't because they don't take into account that during the all-photochemical pipeline days, the release and answer prints would've been several generations away from the OCN, which would have had an effect of softening the grain. He did an interview with the American Cinematographer Podcast and he mentioned this problem of leaving the grain sharp when that was never the intention of the cinematographers. He casually mentioned that he's seen a few projects like that and he probably had Ghostbusters in mind.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 20, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My 4K player came in the mail today, awwww yisss :woop:

I don't have the 4K TV yet, what will happen if I hook it up to my regular TV and pop in a UHD disc? Will I invert time and space? :ohdear:

I also don't have any region B movies to test yet, but I've got one coming in the mail.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

I don't have the 4K TV yet, what will happen if I hook it up to my regular TV and pop in a UHD disc? Will I invert time and space? :ohdear:

I also don't have any region B movies to test yet, but I've got one coming in the mail.

It should just downconvert it to 1080p. But if you end up creating a black hole let us know and we'll help out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

Congrats.

I've heard the 4ks will leech color out of your surroundings, like an inverse Lovecraftian monster. But I also heard the XBOX SeX does that too so you know. Maybe check for a firmware update first.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well, the good news is that all the hosed up Disney Blu-rays I just bought seemed to have replaced all the hosed up DVDs I had, so I guess I’m holding onto these god forsaken VHS forever

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I wish Disney cared as much about what they own as Warner Bros. Every time I see a new Warner UHD I know it’s gonna be a stellar presentation. Disney? Eh, I’m just buying because it’s something I grew up watching.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oh god that's painful.

e: the bluray.com reviewer gives the video 1.5 stars out of 5, and doesn't even seem to have noticed the incorrect aspect ratio.

1.75:1 is correct for The Sword in the Stone, but the Blu-ray isn't framed correctly anyways because it's a total botch job.

Disney+ at least has a gorgeous 4K Dolby Vision remaster that doesn't have any grain removal, looks sharp as a tack, and the colors pop. If that's how Disney plans to handle their pre-digital features on UHD, I'm all for it.

Not to mention that the films should only have a very fine grain texture as it is because Disney continued to photograph their features in sequential exposure B&W through The Little Mermaid. Basically, they used B&W film and recorded each frame three times through a rotating color filter and the color was added in printing. Even the two large format features, Sleeping Beauty and The Black Cauldron, were shot this way.

If you want an idea of how subtle the film grain can be from proper 4K scans of original separation or sequential exposure elements, check out the Warner Archive Blu-rays of the color Popeye or Tex Avery cartoons.

(To elaborate on aspect ratios, Disney continued to ask theaters to frame their animated and live-action features at 1.75:1 starting with The Sword in the Stone.)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 21, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Zavvi sucks. I really hate not having some sort of tracking code and instead it’s just a week long window. Never again will I use them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney+ at least has a gorgeous 4K Dolby Vision remaster that doesn't have any grain removal, looks sharp as a tack, and the colors pop. If that's how Disney plans to handle their pre-digital features on UHD, I'm all for it.
I fear that is how they plan to handle it - the part where it’s only available on Disney+, that is.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Took over a month for my Scream Factory order to ship with no communications along the way. Seems the standard with niche publishers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

tonedef131 posted:

Took over a month for my Scream Factory order to ship with no communications along the way. Seems the standard with niche publishers.

Shout/Scream Factory always takes at least 3 weeks or more before they ship anything, unless it's a pre-order then it usually arrives on or before the street date.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

dorium posted:

Zavvi sucks. I really hate not having some sort of tracking code and instead it’s just a week long window. Never again will I use them.

I bought the Second Sight Dawn of the Dead UHD set from them, no tracking either. I wish I had bought it from Diabolik instead.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Putting a gun to my head over my recent Disney Blu purchases

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

I bought the Second Sight Dawn of the Dead UHD set from them, no tracking either. I wish I had bought it from Diabolik instead.

Same. I preordered the Dawn UHD set as soon as it was put up for preorder on 5/26. Now I’m reading on the blu-ray.com forums that a ton of people who waited last minute and bought it 2 days after release are getting theirs today or even Zavvi orders have already hit other Californians. poo poo sucks. I just want it and it’s really shoddy service they couldn’t even give me a tracking number. At least then I wouldn’t be flying blind. I live in apartment building where during the holiday people just steal poo poo so I watch those numbers like a Hawk and grab my stuff ASAP.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm not sure who Zavvi uses stateside, but no matter, I highly recommend signing up for ups, FedEx, and usps's free detailed delivery services. They'll notify you by your preferred contact option when shipping labels are created for your address. That way you'll get better tracking info

E: usps even takes photos of your regular mail so you know what to expect in your mailbox lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I got the USPS one with the scans which is kinda weird, but even they don’t let me know about packages. UPS my choice sucks though. I even sent them feedback on it because anytime I go to click on a tracking number in an email it routes me to a login for my choice and despite me already having an account makes me go through the process of making an account but then won’t let me finish because I already have an account that the system won’t let me log into, but I can login to UPS to buy shipping, just not check tracking. FedEx is cool though. Zero problems with them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

I got the USPS one with the scans which is kinda weird, but even they don’t let me know about packages. UPS my choice sucks though. I even sent them feedback on it because anytime I go to click on a tracking number in an email it routes me to a login for my choice and despite me already having an account makes me go through the process of making an account but then won’t let me finish because I already have an account that the system won’t let me log into, but I can login to UPS to buy shipping, just not check tracking. FedEx is cool though. Zero problems with them.

Weird I have usps informed delivery and it works great. I have it set up to text me shipping label creations and delivery dates. The ups one is definitely the worst of the three

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i preordered it super late via Zavvi and somehow still got it delivered today

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've never had anything come via USPS that didn't come with tracking.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Black Friday 4Ks are popping off right now. Lotsa deals.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Brexit the Frog posted:

i preordered it super late via Zavvi and somehow still got it delivered today

Where do you live? I live in the states, in Minnesota. My copy shopped on the 13th of November, estimated delivery the 20th - the 27th. I was reading that demand was so high for this in the US that Zavvi shipped some copies from Australia. Curious where your package came from. Thanks!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tonedef131 posted:

I'm going to white knight Vinegar Syndrome again, but they've always been exceptional at getting their orders out fast. The only real exceptions are the Black Friday and half-way sales, because of the volume.

Customer service is excellent too, I've gotten a response same day, like all three times I've contacted them in the 4 years I've been ordering from them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
VS is dope I agree. One of my fav labels

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Is there anywhere to still get the Dawn of the Dead set or did I just miss the boat on that one like an idiot? I’m in the US if it matters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m hoping it will open the door to a US release at some point. That rights-holder has to be getting old by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Rubenstein just can't take the L, can he?