Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is a Yankee screwdriver an actually useful tool these days?

I love old school tools but I'm not a masochist.

Great for anything you need to assemble and disassemble a lot. Apparently also great for screwing the lid down on coffins, which you don’t (hopefully) need to undo, but you do want to attach in a dignified way when the family are present.

Can’t quite recall where I heard it but undertakers were big users of them according to my vague memory. I presume they use gas-actuated Hilti nail guns now and that’s why the dead haven’t risen in the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Trying to use a dimple but for more than 20 screws sounds miserable. I just redid my 5x5 bathroom and I swear I had just as many good screws as ones where the bit slipped off and I punched a new hole next to my screw. Obviously not much more work to patch since you have to mud anyway but really frustrating.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vindolanda posted:

Great for anything you need to assemble and disassemble a lot. Apparently also great for screwing the lid down on coffins, which you don’t (hopefully) need to undo, but you do want to attach in a dignified way when the family are present.

Can’t quite recall where I heard it but undertakers were big users of them according to my vague memory. I presume they use gas-actuated Hilti nail guns now and that’s why the dead haven’t risen in the past few years.

People still buy old timey coffins with screws? Like the old west? I thought it was all caskets now

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

If you won’t use my oil-impulse impact driver on my coffin, how can you even say you ever respected me?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How to reanimate my corpse: Try to use a harbor freight drill to seal my coffin

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Is this the place to ask about shop-vacs/wet-dry vacs?

I kinda want to just buy one, as I'm gonna be sanding some floors soon and having a shop-vac with a tool attachment would be nice, and could also be nice to have one what can empty out the ashes from the fireplace. Other than that the usual usage would be, well, cleaning up stuff my normal vacuum doesn't like.

Right now I'm looking at either the Nilfisk MULTI II 30 T INOX VSC or the KÄRCHER WD 6 PREMIUM, they both cost about the same (like 250€) unless I can find a good deal on either one and seem to be pretty similar when it comes to features?
There might also be other brands and models that haven't really struck my eye, but I figured I'd ask here before spending money if there's something I'm not taking into consideration here.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

In case you haven't seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I hadn't, unfortunately none of those seem to be available in my country, so I didn't really get much help from it.

Also I found the nilfisk for 100€ cheaper so might just go with that.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Shopvacs are all pretty similar, just make sure to get good filters and inspect/ clean /replace them regularly.

Other than that the biggest difference between the cheap and expensive ones seems to be how loud they are.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Shopvacs are all pretty similar, just make sure to get good filters and inspect/ clean /replace them regularly.

Other than that the biggest difference between the cheap and expensive ones seems to be how loud they are.

Yeah reading reviews people leave on sites that has been confusing "Very loud, 0/5!" Of course it's loud it's a god drat shop vac!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
People on Amazon etc are pretty stupid. I've seen people give 1 star reviews because a bag was "too small" even though all the measurements were written....

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My favorites were the 1-Star Newegg reviews of "It doesn't fit the cable I have"

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having a quiet one is amazing and well worth it to me. I picked up a Rigid with scroll noise reduction, whatever that is, and it’s so much nicer to use than a loud cheap one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I picked up the 2 gallon or so milwaukee m18 shop vac and it's loving awesome. Fairly quiet, battery powered, and compact/lightweight.

My big shopvac just exploded so I'm going to try and use this little guy as my primary. I have a butt load of M18 batteries.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I highly recommend the rigid WD4522, because instead of being shaped like a tub on wheels, it is shaped like a box, which makes it wayyyyyy more convenient for storage and transport.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, the Ridgid Pro Pack is excellent. And very related to previous post, the toolbox shaped M18 vacuum also totally rules. Big round shop vacs are great for long term dust collectors and for actual wet/dry use, but for general stuff, the smaller toolbox style can be really awesome.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I have an actual ShopVac shopvac, and boy was that a bad idea. Other than them closing down less than a year since I got it, the motor got all hosed up, and the switch fried. Wife rewired it and got it working again but it doesn't sound great.
Also, it's ear-splitting-ly loud.
Suction is decent though. And it wasn't expensive, so I guess you get what you pay for.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I got so sick of the loud shopvac that I built it into an insulated box. Plus a bonus junk connection surface.

This is with the cover off obviously. Exhaust is out the bottom left that you can't see in this picture. The small panel on the bottom right covers the cyclone separator connection bin.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^That's neat.

I bought the small wall mount shop vac, and added it to my tool cart. I like the small diameter hose for cleaning vehicle interiors. I have a big one too, but this size is ideal for minor shop/garage use.

Vac cart

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

angryrobots posted:

I like the small diameter hose for cleaning vehicle interiors. I have a big one too
Please keep the size of your hose to yourself this is a family forum!!

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I got so sick of the loud shopvac that I built it into an insulated box. Plus a bonus junk connection surface.

This is with the cover off obviously. Exhaust is out the bottom left that you can't see in this picture. The small panel on the bottom right covers the cyclone separator connection bin.

Well thats going on the list of things I want but don't need.

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

organburner posted:

Is this the place to ask about shop-vacs/wet-dry vacs?

I kinda want to just buy one, as I'm gonna be sanding some floors soon and having a shop-vac with a tool attachment would be nice, and could also be nice to have one what can empty out the ashes from the fireplace. Other than that the usual usage would be, well, cleaning up stuff my normal vacuum doesn't like.

Right now I'm looking at either the Nilfisk MULTI II 30 T INOX VSC or the KÄRCHER WD 6 PREMIUM, they both cost about the same (like 250€) unless I can find a good deal on either one and seem to be pretty similar when it comes to features?
There might also be other brands and models that haven't really struck my eye, but I figured I'd ask here before spending money if there's something I'm not taking into consideration here.

Got a Nilfisk Attix 33 a couple years ago on a sale, it's really the best. Don't bother with the Dewalt, shop-vac brand, Craftsman etc, especially if they're claiming like 6 HP. I've had all of those brands over the years, they're all really loud, and ultimately don't flow as much air as the Attix, even if the Attix might have a wee bit less absolute suction, airflow is what keeps the dust down. Having adjustable suction for sanding, especially with smaller random orbit sanders, is great. Stihl, Metabo, and Milwaukee all rebrand Nilfisk vacuums. I can't speak to the Karcher. Fein makes a decent vacuum, but I've only used the older Turbos, (the round ones).

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jenkl posted:

Well thats going on the list of things I want but don't need.

You say you don't need it but how would you like to be able to not wear earpro with it on, or have a normal volume conversation with it running?

The only downside is a little less suction but that's due to the cyclone separator. That and its a little unwieldy to move the whole contraption around in my small shop.

I can post the simple 3D model I made if you want.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah since I mostly want this thing for use while sanding my floors noise is not as much of a consideration to be honest.

Also find it strange how like 0 of the brands you Americans like are available here, figured most of this stuff would come out of china. Of course maybe it is available but it's branded differently here.

I'll probably just go with the nilfisk then.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
The largest Rigid with the scroll noise reduction and a quiet air compressor have been the best money I have ever spent on tools period and I will never ever go back. Whichever euro-available ones have the quiet features are well worth it.

quote:

Yeah since I mostly want this thing for use while sanding my floors noise is not as much of a consideration to be honest.

You'll use it so much more often than you think you will, and you'll use it even more often than that if it doesn't make your ears bleed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also if you have a 3D printer you can find all kinds of vacuum hose adapters and such on thingiverse which helps you use it in more.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Also if you have a 3D printer you can find all kinds of vacuum hose adapters and such on thingiverse which helps you use it in more.

You mean I don't have to use pvc fittings and duck tape?!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

You mean I don't have to use pvc fittings and duck tape?!

have to, no...but if you're like me you end up with 3d printed adapters and duct tape. :downs:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
PVC? sounds high tech. i prefer to drill a hole in a log

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

PVC? sounds high tech. i prefer to drill a hole in a log

I've bored out 4x4 scraps to make right angle adaptors but never an actual log.

And sometimes I use masking tape as a shim instead of duck tape.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

have to, no...but if you're like me you end up with 3d printed adapters and duct tape. :downs:

If you can't use duct tape on actual ductwork without being sneered and jeered at, well I just don't know what this world is coming to. But, it needs to be *Approved* duct tape.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

If you can't use duct tape on actual ductwork without being sneered and jeered at, well I just don't know what this world is coming to. But, it needs to be *Approved* duct tape.

You literally can't. Aluminum tape is what's used on ducts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I have (access to) a metal brake that says it’ll do up to 30” wide 17 gauge steel, is it plausible it’d be able to handle a smaller (like 12”) piece of 1/8” steel, or is that liable to damage the thing?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

^^^That's neat.

I bought the small wall mount shop vac, and added it to my tool cart. I like the small diameter hose for cleaning vehicle interiors. I have a big one too, but this size is ideal for minor shop/garage use.

Vac cart

Is your tiny hose why you're compensating with an enormous lawnmower?

I am so jealous.

Shopvac talk: I have an extreme love/hate relationship with it. So good at what it does, and yet somehow no matter where it is, it is *always* in the goddamn way, and a huge pain in the rear end to move around.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I wonder if I can strap mine to my back...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jenkl posted:

I wonder if I can strap mine to my back...

Try it. Report back with results.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Semi serious, I bet you could somewhat easily mount a small one to a cheap ALICE pack frame from eBay or your local army surplus store. Wouldn't exactly be comfortable, but it would be better than trying to just strap it on like a knapsack.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is your tiny hose why you're compensating with an enormous lawnmower?

I am so jealous.

Absolutely.

it's still not big enough. :( I did just add a spring suspension to the seat so that hopefully I can (tolerate) go(ing) faster, though. Will report back after I use it and have an opinion.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

You literally can't. Aluminum tape is what's used on ducts.

This is making my brain hurt because I have memories of insulated ductwork tied together with duct tape. False memories of abuse? PTSDD? Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

just like wd40 is terrible at rust penetration and lubrication, duct tape is a military product that they marketed postwar for an application it actually sucks at.

the adhesive fails after a few years of thermal cycling, and the actual tape is inferior to aluminum foil tape for sealing air leaks.