Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
they're going to dig the foundations for their first mars tesla factory and accidentally discover a long-dormant virus that can only be described as covid-9001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MomJeans420 posted:

Also, I'm hesitant to blame the tweet below on Tesla versus the driver hitting the wrong pedal, but I could see both being equally likely. Especially the one where the guy says he always one foot drives, seems unlikely he just mashed the accelerator. Perhaps the average driver doesn't need crazy acceleration from a stop.

https://twitter.com/btsparks/status/1329455688276467721?s=20

I mean, a couple of things here: firstly, it sounds like people do some weird stuff where there basically one-pedal drive and expect the car to take care of the other pedal (eg the guy who said he tried to brake by just taking his foot off the accelerator, and normally the car slams the brakes when he does that), to which I say WTF?

Secondly, all four of these involve the car accelerating into a wall while trying to park. That could be operator error or it could be an error with the car's automatic acceleration. But how hard is it to put proximity sensors on the front and have it automatically brake if there's an obstacle there, and why isn't that a standard safety feature?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you dont need proximity sensors if you have a webcam

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Carthag Tuek posted:

you dont need proximity sensors if you have a webcam

has anyone tried just wiring up some actual eyeballs to computer

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i remember seeing an experiment where they put a cockroach in a vr environment on a spherical treadmill and got their movements to drive a little robot car. why build an AI that's dumber than a fruitfly when you can just use an actual insect?

also while i was trying to find video of that experiment i found this lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAK0J8Uhzk

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

i remember seeing an experiment where they put a cockroach in a vr environment on a spherical treadmill and got their movements to drive a little robot car. why build an AI that's dumber than a fruitfly when you can just use an actual insect?

Tesla Model reX

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

has anyone said Greater Fool Self Driving yet

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

https://youtu.be/5fvsItXYgzk

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

they'll make self driving work but it'll be by getting a bunch of people in vr cubes in the Philippines to take over the driving.

The $$$ you spend enabling it is to pay their families off

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Remember, no Thanksgiving and we have a 10pm curfew in CA, but building cars in a tent is an essential activity

https://twitter.com/passthebeano/status/1329889094919364608?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
frankly, what difference does it make? he just ignored the order when they weren't exempt and there was no penalty for doing so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
essential to tesla stock remaining valued more than multiple multinational car manufacturers stocks combined

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

S&P 500 number go uP

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

infernal machines posted:

frankly, what difference does it make? he just ignored the order when they weren't exempt and there was no penalty for doing so

yeah, this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can't wait for the European plant to come online and the EU authorities not having any of Elons poo poo

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

spankmeister posted:

Can't wait for the European plant to come online and the EU authorities not having any of Elons poo poo

since the eu is balls deep into zero emissions, they may put up with his poo poo for a while

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Remember, no Thanksgiving and we have a 10pm curfew in CA, but building cars in a tent is an essential activity

As restaurants and bars have shown, doing anything in a tent makes it covid-safe

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

since the eu is balls deep into zero emissions, they may put up with his poo poo for a while

Consumer protection and vehicle safety laws actually mean something here. They won't get away with building garbage.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

upsidedown posted:

As gooncamp has shown, doing anything in a tent makes it covid-safe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

spankmeister posted:

Consumer protection and vehicle safety laws actually mean something here. They won't get away with building garbage.

they already sell teslas in europe, so i have my doubts

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

True, and this way no one in charge loses face

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

True, and this way no one in charge loses face

yeah, that seems like the most likely reason to make them exempt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

upsidedown posted:

As restaurants and bars have shown, doing anything in a tent makes it covid-safe

there's a bigass tent here taking up like half of a safeway parking lot because the globo-gym next door to it moved entirely outside

all the machines are out there and get chained up at night with little golf cart security guys lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mtass7/status/1168444552732192769

https://mobile.twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1327408848941027328

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
given how these people idolize musk, do you think they just throw on autopilot and say "musk take the wheel"

also there more pictures in that thread of the car that got rear ended and it's pretty crumpled

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spankmeister posted:

how quickly we forgot vw

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

It’s almost like the whole “essential worker” thing quickly became a joke

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

last winter i watched my boss park his tesla on an icy hill, get out of the car, and then about 10 seconds later it slid slowly to the bottom of the hill narrowly missing two other parked cars

i don't think that was specifically because it was a tesla but still lol

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

It’s almost like the whole “essential worker” thing quickly became a joke

yeah i think “essential worker” means “essential to making money”

which i get since no help is coming, but still

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

they already sell audis in europe, so i have my doubts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/19/tesla-crash-100-mph-scatters-burning-batteries/

quote:

Residents of Corvallis, Oregon, are being asked to keep an eye out for battery cells ejected from a Tesla Model 3 that veered off the road at over 100 mph. Some of the cells catapulted from the high-voltage battery pack have already been found, including one that smashed through a window, landed on a bed, and started a fire.

One battery ended its flight on a person's lap.
check the pics lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
that lap was fire 🔥🤪

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

time to stock up on vape batteries while they're cheap!!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Oh poo poo the car is literally powered by a bucket full of vape batteries.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TheDarkFlame posted:

Oh poo poo the car is literally powered by a bucket full of vape batteries.

Yeah that was my thought. I know someone (Combat Theory?) had said that, unlike other EV manufacturers, they were using "cylindrical cells" or something. I don't think I'd quite realised it was this. How does that even make sense from an engineering perspective? Isn't space at a premium in these cars? Wouldn't you want the space in between the cells to be equal for even heat dissipation?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re not vape cells. They’re a little bit larger so they can’t contract them out and get economies of scale, but not enough to make a qualitative difference in performance.

They cool them by snaking a ribbon throughout the battery and pumping liquid through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNd-yJtRPhk&t=430s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 23, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

initially they used 18650s because it was cheaper to buy off-the-shelf batteries than to develop and design batteries for their cars (the models s and x use these). since they spent the time developing a cooling system (the only part of their battery tech that can actually be called "innovative") they stuck with that, but started using the larger 2170s in the model 3 and y. they have since announced the even bigger 4680 that, again, offers little actual performance improvement, but they can use fewer in a car - i think the intention is redesign all models to use these. if this trend continues, they will eventually have a single, car-sized cylindrical battery that can be replaced like a tv remote

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
check it out its the new model z

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

check it out its the new model z

tesla amphibious vehicle looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Endless Mike posted:

initially they used 18650s because it was cheaper to buy off-the-shelf batteries than to develop and design batteries for their cars (the models s and x use these). since they spent the time developing a cooling system (the only part of their battery tech that can actually be called "innovative") they stuck with that, but started using the larger 2170s in the model 3 and y. they have since announced the even bigger 4680 that, again, offers little actual performance improvement, but they can use fewer in a car - i think the intention is redesign all models to use these. if this trend continues, they will eventually have a single, car-sized cylindrical battery that can be replaced like a tv remote

how the hell do tesla get a bigger range in their cars than other manufacturers if they just use some off-the-shelf system? are the other guys using some wacky selfbuilt system that is worse compared to throwing together some generic batteries?