Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Good Baru Cormorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Happy Landfill posted:

Sooo I take it Baru Cormorant is a solid rec? Picked up Traitor sometime back (along with Memory of Empire) and when covid hit I thought, "well, maybe now I'll have time to finally get through my TBR pile." Pandemic brain has hit me hard and with the exception of Harrow the Ninth I haven't had the energy to read all year. It's really bumming me out :sigh:

My one complaint with Baru is that it's extremely good at depicting the horror of colonization and the integration of children into a new culture, and that's too much for me to handle, which is frustrating given how good the writing is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Happiness Commando posted:

You take that back. Baru is a traitor and a monster

And a tyrant! :dance:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
And untitled.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, given the naming convention, the last book gotta be The Late Baru Cormorant.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Trader Baru Cormorant would bring things around nicely for those of us with lazy accents.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I can't read and I can't write but that don't really matter, cos I'm a brizzle city fan and I can drive a tractor baru cormorant

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Lord of the Rings: One Volume by JRR Tolkien - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978OY6/

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDGX4KY/

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Problematic Baru Cormorant

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Won't lie, big reason I'm excited to read it is because I heard it was a Goon Book :kimchi:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

I'm not going to say that Orange Tree was great, but it was solid enough that I finished it and enjoyed the experience. Most importantly, it's a fantasy novel that finishes its story in one (fat) volume. Also it has lesbians in.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Just to help anyone searching, it's Karl Edward Wagner.

I read bloodstone years ago, kind of Conanesque but more gothic? I think he meets elric at some point?

I'd forgotten all about it, might grab one and see if it's still good.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Finished Soon I Will Be Invincible. The POV characters sucked, the superfights were stilted, and it failed the bechdel test with an intensity and ferocity usually reserved for successes. Some great ~brested boobily~ going on—if you're into that kind of thing.

Also wrapped up Wolfhound Century. Early Soviet magical realism via anti-fascist detective story? Pretty neat. Was punchy, with mostly believable characters and enough horrible things lurking around that I was still getting surprised near the end of the book. The rusalka in the flood was creepy and super cool. Biggest complaint is that it ended rather abruptly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm not going to say that Orange Tree was great, but it was solid enough that I finished it and enjoyed the experience. Most importantly, it's a fantasy novel that finishes its story in one (fat) volume. Also it has lesbians in.

Yeah, I would describe it as "competent by-the-numbers epic fantasy, but gay and over in one volume". If that's what you're in the mood for, it will deliver, without dragging you into a 10-15 volume series.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Forgive me for intruding on the discussion, but I would like to invite all interested posters here to this year's TBB Secret Santa. 'Tis the season to mail people books!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

Finished Soon I Will Be Invincible. The POV characters sucked, the superfights were stilted, and it failed the bechdel test with an intensity and ferocity usually reserved for successes. Some great ~brested boobily~ going on—if you're into that kind of thing.

Also wrapped up Wolfhound Century. Early Soviet magical realism via anti-fascist detective story? Pretty neat. Was punchy, with mostly believable characters and enough horrible things lurking around that I was still getting surprised near the end of the book. The rusalka in the flood was creepy and super cool. Biggest complaint is that it ended rather abruptly.

I quite enjoyed the audiobook of SIWBI, which had pretty entertaining voicework, but it's not very good writing as you say

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Happy Landfill posted:

Won't lie, big reason I'm excited to read it is because I heard it was a Goon Book :kimchi:

Yeah, look for the Baru Cormorants.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant: Forget about your worries and your strife. It's just the Baru Cormorant, the Masquerade informerant that brings the Baru Cormorants of life. Wherever you wander, wherever you roam, the forces of Falcrest infiltrate your home. Rebels hide by every tree, wanting Aurdwynn to be free. Working with them would be fantastic, first you must do something non-Incrastic like gently caress a girl or two. (Golly, thanks, Tain Hu!) The Baru Cormorants of life will come for you!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

:master:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, finished the second book in the Tim Reaper series, and all I gotta say is "drat." cause... It's a hell of a ride. Dunno where the series is going to go from here but at least it's been entertaining so far.

Sean cummings is the author, and book 2 is The Girl on Victoria Road.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

branedotorg posted:

I read bloodstone years ago, kind of Conanesque but more gothic? I think he meets elric at some point?

I'd forgotten all about it, might grab one and see if it's still good.

Yeah, Wagner wrote a short story where Kane meets Elric.

Bloodstone is one of my favorite of his books because it highlights what sets Kane apart from all those other mighty-thewed Conan imitators out there -- Kane is just as likely to be the villain in his stories as the hero.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Jedit posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant: Forget about your worries and your strife. It's just the Baru Cormorant, the Masquerade informerant that brings the Baru Cormorants of life. Wherever you wander, wherever you roam, the forces of Falcrest infiltrate your home. Rebels hide by every tree, wanting Aurdwynn to be free. Working with them would be fantastic, first you must do something non-Incrastic like gently caress a girl or two. (Golly, thanks, Tain Hu!) The Baru Cormorants of life will come for you!

This is amazing. Sadly it won't make sense to people who haven't read The Traitor Baru Cormorant. Everyone read that first then come back to appreciate this post.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jedit posted:

:perfect:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Well, given the naming convention, the last book gotta be The Late Baru Cormorant.

The Baru Cormorant, The.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pradmer posted:

I made it about 100 pages into this before giving up, it felt so generic and 90s I was wondering if the author was doing a bit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finished another book and I'm gonna gush, here's my goodreads review:

The Queen of Ieflaria by Effie Calvin.

Oh, that was delightful! A short yet sweet fantasy romance that took the concept of an arranged marriage and played with it, then tossed in all kinds of fun twists on fantasy setting ideas. If you've ever read of any Mercedes Lackey's fantasy novels this felt similar to those, but without the extreme angst.

The concept is, Princess Esofi has been sent to Ieflaria to fulfill a marriage contract she was signed into when she was three. Except when she gets there, he's dead to an accident and the Queen and King are determined to have a wedding anyways - so she must choose between marrying Princess Adale or a pair of twins who would be the next in line to the throne. You can already tell who she's going to marry, eh? It's not the kind of book to keep you guessing, even if the characters take time to figure it out themselves.

I've taken a star from the rating because it suffers from first novel syndrome, and the first 20% or so of the book is drowned under too much infodumping. The author has developed a setting she's in love with and so there's a LOT of writing about it instead of character interactions or anything else, and it's slooooow. Fortunately the book isn't long, so once you muscle through and the characters get to talking, it turns into a delightful romp. Esofi and Adale have to learn each other, and there's a fascinating plot: dragons have been invading Ieflaria more and more - why? And why has magic abandoned the country?

I love how Esofi was ready to burn down a hospital due to its scientific blasphemy, even if this wasn't a huge part of the novel - the goddess of magic turned from Ieflaria for other reasons, and Adale helps Esofi learn why.

Overall this is a fun, light romance with some cool action sequences, and the setting is fascinating, which makes me thrilled to see so many sequels. I'd happily recommend this to anyone, as it's just the perfect palate cleanser between heavier books.

e: oh yeah, if you want it it's 4.19$ on the publisher's website. Cheaper than amazon and DRM free.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Light fantasy romances are exactly what I've been craving lately, so thank you very much for the rec.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I will admit to possibly being the only person in this thread not blown away by Baru Cormorant book 1.
The main character really didn't hit me for, so I mainly read Baru Cormorant 1 to see how overt the 1:1 mapping to Crusader Kings 2 in it got while hoping the main character would stop reacting passively to everything around them. Spoiler: The 1:1 to mapping to Crusader Kings 2 got very overt.

SFL Archives readthrough continues to deliver:
-The debates about the intelligence of the various Alien lifeforms/lifestages in Alien 1979 & Aliens 1986 consistently going places. One SFLer keeps referring to the Space Jockey thing it as a (alien) "mother" constantly leading to inevitable thread confusion due to the Nostromo's AI being called "MOTHER" too.
-Tales of utterly terrible fan behavior at any large conventions of the past 4 years (1984-1988) or recent personal fen-dom gathering, which leads to....
-David Brin being revealed as having utterly garbage (Harlan Ellison style) behavior towards women at conventions since at least the mid 1980s. Why it took until 2019 for that behavior by David Brin to be outed publicly is baffling. I blame the SFWA.
-One of the best descriptions of why the YA genre exists, and why it has near universal appeal for readers of all ages.
-The default SFL Archives -4 to +4 review scale starts being abused by the Leepers(the reviewer-idiot power couple of the SFL Archives) because they badly want to go professional/be published in magazines scifi/fantasy reviews.
-Anytime LeGuin's "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie" gets mentioned by SFLer's it sounds more and more like a hitpiece vs LeGuin's nearest competitor Katherine Kurtz.
-SFLer Larry Klaes goes through Bjo Trimble's CONCORDANCE & points out most of the errors in it, like Kirk having two brothers? Bjo Trimble responds positively.
-Elbereth being the Rutgers ARPANET server name all SFL Archives email goes to/comes from. Tolkien fans & old-school Rogue-like fans will get that reference.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

quantumfoam posted:

I will admit to possibly being the only person in this thread not blown away by Baru Cormorant book 1.

No, I wasn't blown away with it either. I described it at the time as a bad book written very well. But I wasn't put off enough by the failings of the plot to not read the second book, and as it turned out it fixes a lot of the things that I felt were wrong with the first.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

quantumfoam posted:

-David Brin being revealed as having utterly garbage (Harlan Ellison style) behavior towards women at conventions since at least the mid 1980s. Why it took until 2019 for that behavior by David Brin to be outed publicly is baffling. I blame the SFWA.

Curious if you've seen any stories of people with bad behavior there that haven't been publicly outed

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing, regarding your spoiler! The Silver Spike is still my favourite one, but it definitely ended well, I feel.
I'm not sure how the upcoming (at least, last I heard) new final book will turn out, though...but my hopes aren't high...

Ignore Port of Shadows. Absolutely terrible in the worst creepy old SF writer way. He's got some new Black Company short stories in The Best of Glen Cook, which is an excellent anthology, collecting from all across his work; there's a Darkwar piece, Starfishers stuff, excellent Dread Empire material. Get that instead.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

quantumfoam posted:

The main character really didn't hit me for, so I mainly read Baru Cormorant 1 to see how overt the 1:1 mapping to Crusader Kings 2 in it got while hoping the main character would stop reacting passively to everything around them. Spoiler: The 1:1 to mapping to Crusader Kings 2 got very overt.

I have never played Crusader Kings 2 tho

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I like Katherine Kurtz (and I believe Le Guin has apologized for being overly harsh on her in "From Elfland"), but the idea of her being Le Guin's "nearest competitor" doesn't make sense. Nearest competitor in what? If you mean "among female SF/fantasy writers," then Cherryh, McCaffrey, and MZB (at least before her husband's crimes were common knowledge) were head and shoulders above Kurtz in terms of influence and readership.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

quantumfoam posted:

Can you explain what it means to map 1:1 to a non-narrative game about medieval Europe? It’s sort of like saying something “maps”(?) to civilization

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

quantumfoam posted:

What does a 1:1 mapping to Crusader Kings mean? Does it have a campaign or something?

I think that if you follow up with the next two books you won't find baru to be passive for sure.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

The 1:1 to mapping to Crusader Kings 2 got very overt.

General Battuta posted:

I have never played Crusader Kings 2 tho

you guys have had this exact exchange at least once before :crossarms:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

you guys have had this exact exchange at least once before :crossarms:

The Time Travelling Baru Cormorant

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm sorry, it's just a weird thing to hear. I don't know how I could 'overtly' be mapping a story to something I don't know anything about.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I'm sorry, it's just a weird thing to hear. I don't know how I could 'overtly' be mapping a story to something I don't know anything about.

I'm not sure how you even map a story to Crusader Kings which has no real coherent narrative. It's like saying your story maps 1:1 with Civilization 2.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I would be pissed off if I had any pride or positive emotional investment in my work still left in this drifting cnidarian bloatage of a brain :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kchama posted:

I'm not sure how you even map a story to Crusader Kings which has no real coherent narrative. It's like saying your story maps 1:1 with Civilization 2.

That's probably both the why and the how. The brain maps patterns onto chaos, reflexively. I haven't played CK2 but it's likely just a tabula errata.