Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Anyone in this thread a Tokyo Godfathers fan? Three homeless people find an abandoned baby girl, and set out to find her parents..learning things about themselves and each other along the way. Maybe not the lightest Christmas fare but still oh-so-good.

It’s one of the best anime films and one of the best Christmas films ever :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mousku
Jun 2, 2011
The Muppet Family Christmas is like the Jim Henson pupperverse Infinity War and it's fantastic. Last christmas I marathoned the Defunctland Jim Henson series with my mother and watched Muppet Family Christmas at the end of it and it was a great experience. I like Christmas Carol too, but it doesn't have the same intensely comfy feeling Family Christmas has.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh I just saw Netflix has a new version of their "The ____ That Made Us" doco series coming on December 1, called The Holiday Movies That Made Us.

It seems to be just two episodes, Elf and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Might be worth a watch for fans of those movies.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is Tokyo Godfathers a variation on the classic Christmas Western “Three Godfathers”?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is Tokyo Godfathers a variation on the classic Christmas Western “Three Godfathers”?

Very loosely adapted.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm not sure if "Jesus Christ: Superstar" counts as a holiday movie, it's Israeli filming locations add a certain authenticity to the proceedings, and it's an extremely horny movie. Which may be an odd thing to say about a movie about Jesus, but it's a whole bunch of young broadway dancers dancing and sweating in the desert sun.

Very early 70s energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMgCUcmJkI

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I think I am the only person that has streamed 'All is Bright' but feel I have to shout it out and see if anyone else is gonna try it this year. Its a black comedy, heavy on the crippling depression but with a very talented duo at the front of the movie. Giamatti is fantastic as the fast greasy french canadian piece of poo poo deadbeat dad that tries to make right. Paul Rudd is comforting and charming as his wholesome and sweet business partner. The movie is about Giamatti trying to raise money to get a chance to spend some time with his estranged child and ex-wife. He teams up with Rudd to travel to NYC to sell Christmas trees to get enough cash in time for Christmas.I came into the movie with low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. The one real complaint I have (besides it could use a few more laughs) is a subplot involving a russian love interest that is slow and inconsequential. Its rare a movie, let alone a Christmas movie, is realistic in the theme of depression of having major failures or setbacks in life. This movie can be dark but its well worth a watch. Also the soundtrack, in particular 'Joy' by Tracey Thorne is remarkable.

3 and a half stars.

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/movie/all-is-bright

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 16, 2020

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Realized today that the aesthetic of Ron Howard's Grinch movie feels like Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Same shadowy coverage of glitz, same claustrophobic interiors plastered with malformed pneumatic tubes... same season even! Brazil's a Christmas movie. It's surreal. A review of Brazil I found describes it as "retro-futuristic yuletide fever-dream of tinsel-decked pneumatic tubes, endlessly looping Christmas muzak, and Santa-suited anarchists". That last point in particular, is that not the Grinch himself?

Anyway I think I'm gonna do a Grinch > Brazil movie marathon for the holidays just to see how it pans out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Planes Trains & Automobiles is such a touching film about kindness, is funny as hell and has one of the most delicious F-bombs in all of comedy

“You’re hosed.”

A perfect movie

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Planes was always a Christmas movie in our household. It's also probably my most-watched film of all-time. The "you're hosed" scene is probably the best, but I also love the look of shock on John Candy's face when Steve Martin opens up the cab on him. The casting for both leads is perfect. I feel for the both of them in each situation.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’ve only seen P,T&A once in my life and I should revisit it sometime. We do thanksgiving way earlier here so it’s never really resonated with me as a holiday move. I watched the last little bit on tv last night and it seems pretty good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This video about PT&A is definitely worth a watch. I’d love to see them uncover some of this missing footage. At 90 minutes the pacing and length is perfect, but the opportunity to spend another 90 with them is tempting.

https://youtu.be/fEtOEoyqj6k

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

This video about PT&A is definitely worth a watch. I’d love to see them uncover some of this missing footage. At 90 minutes the pacing and length is perfect, but the opportunity to spend another 90 with them is tempting.

https://youtu.be/fEtOEoyqj6k

This is a great watch. I have always been slightly confused by Neal's wife's reaction to Del at the end of the film, and this answers why she reacts that way.

I think releasing a longer cut of the film would be a great companion piece. I, for one, welcome it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, all the stuff that got cut sounds great. Especially that coffee shop scene where Del talks about his life after the death of his wife. I really hope one day that footage gets released somehow

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

mmmmalo posted:

Realized today that the aesthetic of Ron Howard's Grinch movie feels like Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Same shadowy coverage of glitz, same claustrophobic interiors plastered with malformed pneumatic tubes... same season even! Brazil's a Christmas movie. It's surreal. A review of Brazil I found describes it as "retro-futuristic yuletide fever-dream of tinsel-decked pneumatic tubes, endlessly looping Christmas muzak, and Santa-suited anarchists". That last point in particular, is that not the Grinch himself?

Anyway I think I'm gonna do a Grinch > Brazil movie marathon for the holidays just to see how it pans out.

I'd never realized that but you're right. I've watched them both and they struck me as having a very strange feeling, but I never connected the dots (perhaps because the Grinch movie doesn't feel like we should be thinking too hard about it)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching this new Netflix musical, Jingle Jangle

It’s very cute and the music slaps. And there’s some very good cgi animation linking the live action segments

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I can really recommend Happiest Season as a great LGBT holiday movie. Sure to be a staple over time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nice, I’m watching it next week, I’ll try to get my fiancé to watch with me too :3

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Happiest Season had a wonderful cast and was mostly fun, but my wife and I (and apparently a lot of Twitter) didn't like the ending.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't mind the ending because it was the ending you were all expecting. It'd be weird if it had another type of ending.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

PeterCat posted:

I'm not sure if "Jesus Christ: Superstar" counts as a holiday movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMgCUcmJkI

I watch this every Christmas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1eTb6smNM

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tonight I watched Three Days of the Condor (1975) - a really engaging spy/paranoia thriller/mystery set at Christmas time. There’s plenty of Christmassy New York sights, and a few pieces of Christmas music throughout.

It apparently was a big inspiration on Shane Black setting so many of his action films at Christmas.

The plot set up is great: Robert Redford is a bookish CIA desk worker whose job is to read all the new spy novels and try to figure out if coded messages are being sent through them. He’s barely seen any action but knows a lot about spycraft from the books he’s read. One day he returns from lunch to find out everyone else in his office has been killed. The plot spirals out from there.

Highly recommend this one!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I feel like I can watch Home Alone every holiday and still love it. It's an amazing feat, really. It's a film about childhood, and has a child front and center for most of the film, but it never feels like a kid's movie. Culkin really is a wonderful actor in this.

Also, reading Ebert's review of the movie -- he didn't like the burglar subplot because it becomes implausible. I can understand the criticism, but ooooh boy, I disagree with it.

idontpoast
Jul 10, 2020

by Athanatos

Twin Cinema posted:

I feel like I can watch Home Alone every holiday and still love it. It's an amazing feat, really. It's a film about childhood, and has a child front and center for most of the film, but it never feels like a kid's movie. Culkin really is a wonderful actor in this.

Also, reading Ebert's review of the movie -- he didn't like the burglar subplot because it becomes implausible. I can understand the criticism, but ooooh boy, I disagree with it.

You disagree that it adds to the movie, or you disagree its implausible?

I wouldn't change a thing, but the three stooges routine of slowly falling for every trap is not what 2 actually seasoned burglars would do.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

idontpoast posted:

You disagree that it adds to the movie, or you disagree its implausible?

I wouldn't change a thing, but the three stooges routine of slowly falling for every trap is not what 2 actually seasoned burglars would do.

I disagree with his criticism because the film is a ton of fund at the end.

But, I understand where he's coming from, because it seems like he wanted a more realistic depiction of an 8-year old being left home alone. There are elements of that in the film, but it does lean pretty heavy into the goofy implausiblity of the burglars.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Today I watched Deathcember, a 2019 horror anthology

It has a lot in common with the ABCs of Death anthologies, including the very mixed quality

Like those films it has 26 shorts - the framing device is doors on a spooooooky advent calendar opening (24 of the shorts: then there are 2 after the credits as bonuses I guess?)

Not all of them are horror, not all of them even involve death

There are probably 4-5 legitimately good and creative ones, a bunch of “what the gently caress just happened”, and some absolutely poo poo ones

Even if this film was mostly great shorts I still probably wouldn’t recommend it because of one of the shorts, which is cutesy Gumby-style claymation of (:siren: CW: absolutely the worst thing :siren:) a small claymation child getting graphically and violently raped by several adult claymation people :nms: :barf:

Yeah, not really worth it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god that loving sucks rear end. There's literally nothing worth in horror stuff than when they just go for the laziest, cheapest form of 'well if you, like, saw this happen in front of you you'd hate that right? SCARY!' but use real life terrible things for even lazier 'but what if man is the real monster'.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Happiest Season was really funny and cute. I'm not really big on Christmas rom-coms, and this one is probably my favorite I've seen. Great cast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

(Moved from Letterboxd where we were also discussing it)

I had my fingers crossed that Mary Holland would bring her brand of weird to the table, so she was definitely a bright spot. Pairing her with Dan Levy (who was also perfect and kind of saved the movie, plot wise) was a great idea, I would definitely watch a spin-off of those two.

The problem with films that are based around frustrating people or premises is, I find that frustration rubs off on me too much and hinders my enjoyment. But then we’re at a catch-22 situation so hey. For me it lies between 3 and 3.5 stars so it’s not like I didn’t enjoy, I just think a bit of punching up of the script would’ve helped. I didn’t hate the ending, but I do totally understand people who do and agree the chemistry with Aubrey Plaza was better, Mackenzie is great but her character - even though justified - just kinda burned me out a bit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
December's Movie of the Month is Dial Code Santa Claus

Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950103

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watching Home Alone 2 for the first time in probably 20 years, how are these two guys not dead from all of this blunt force trauma

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Watching Home Alone 2 for the first time in probably 20 years, how are these two guys not dead from all of this blunt force trauma
I think there is a youtube video out there somewhere that has them clock as dying like thirty times in the movie or something like that if you're going to be realistic about it.

I liked Happiest Season for what it was. My wife has a dead parent and I haven't come out to my parents yet about being non-binary so we both got to cry! But I think the movie underestimated how much I could just watch my big girl crushes flirt during Christmas time. Like a Before Sunset style movie with Kristen Stewart and Aubrey Plaza would be great.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

C-Euro posted:

It's wild how much more dangerous all of the traps are in Home Alone 2 vs. the first Home Alone. And then IIRC in the third movie you have a running lawn mower falling on the villains' heads, so I guess they just keep escalating.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hi holiday friends, here's some of the stuff I watched in the last few days:

---

Serendipity, 2001, with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsdale.

It's incredibly sappy but I didn't find the plot contrivances too annoying because the entire premise of the film is "plot contrivances are a force of the universe and they bring two people back together years after they meet".

I gotta say though, John Cusack does come across as a bit of an rear end in a top hat the whole time, and there's no closure on him leaving his fiance on the morning of their wedding. She just gets written out of the plot from that point onwards.

Also it's mostly not a Christmas movie but I'm counting it because it begins and ends on Christmas.

---

Last Christmas, 2019, dir. by Paul Feig, with Emilia Clarke.

The film with the George Michael music that the internet famously guessed the plot twist of based on the title alone.

I actually really liked it. Emilia Clarke was great all the way through, and her change from a bad friend/sister/daughter and generally grumpy rear end in a top hat into a good person is kinda sweet. She just isn't that believable as a singer though, tbh. Emma Thompson is great as her Yugoslavian-immigrant mother, as is Michelle Yeoh as her boss.

Overall it's a sweet and funny film with a touching reveal, so long as you're not resistant to a little dramatic sappiness.

---

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, 2005.

I count it as a Christmas film because Santa shows up to hand out weapons.

I really like this movie, there's oodles of good production design. The kids aren't too annoying, and all the animal characters are great, especially Aslan. :h: Interestingly, he's much better animated and more expressive than any of the lions in the 2019 Lion King. Actually, all the CGI still holds up pretty decently, in my opinion.

There are tons of cool monsters, many done entirely in prosthetics like the minotaur general of the White Witch's army. The final battle has so many different types of mythical creatures clashing (alongside lots of Earth animals), it's actually quite fun to watch.

The best casting is Tilda Swinton, who rules as the White Witch.

I'm looking forward to revisiting Prince Caspian soon, then watching Voyage of the Dawn Treader for the first time.

---

I also started a Netflix Christmas limited series, Dash and Lily, new this year. I've watched 2 of the 8 episodes so far.

It's kind of a treasure-hunt romantic comedy set in New York at Christmas, with two teenagers who have never met exchanging a diary, giving each other clues and challenges to find out more about each other. It's pure feel-good stuff.

It's absolutely dripping with Christmassy set-dressing in every scene, has tons of New York winter wonderland scenery, is stuffed with Christmas pop music, and all the teen actors are charming. There's also a cool gay romance subplot for Lily's brother. Really enjoying it so far.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Not really 'Holiday Movie' proper but Disney+ just released a cute little movie called Godmothered that takes place in the holidays and it's your classic Disney 'you can put this on for all ages and have a nice time' movie for if you've got kids over and all. It's got Jillian Bell doing the whole 'what if fairy tale lady came to real world ha ha she doesn't know what a car is' thing Enchanted did but this time it's a Fairy Godmother in training responding a few decades too late to a little girl's wish and she's now a single mom working a lovely job and all that jazz.

It's a Disney movie so it goes 100% as you'd expect, with a B plot of Fairy Land Drama to make things more than just a Hallmark movie with better special effects, but it's a really cute movie that was a nice way to spend 2 hours.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, I cannot recommend Netflix's The Holiday Movies that Made Us at all.

I just watched the episode about The Nightmare Before Christmas. The editing feels like it was done by someone with ADHD on speed. They keep cutting away from interviewees every 3-5 words, and taking one-second soundbites from them out of context, and stitching it together with the most obnoxious narration possible. It gave me a gigantic headache.

Also there's some unflattering insinuations made about one of the screenwriters who left the project - the guy who also wrote Beetlejuice. I looked him up, he died of AIDS a few years later. Really not a nice way to honor a deceased collaborator of Burton's.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The regular version was so bad I turned off the Ghostbusters one off after 10minutes. How did they screw up such an easy thing?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They started with the incredibly flawed premise “how movies get made is boring, so we need to make it wacky” and went from there

loving Christ this is not how you tell the story of a beloved movie’s inception and creation

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's dumb. Like you could tell an entire story just on Burton's failed career with Disney and break with Pee Wee Herman leading to Nightmare Before Christmas happening without Disney owning, tweaking, or franchising it.

I mean I guess then the Mouse might sue you or kill your or buy you or already own you. But still. There's plenty of interesting story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I am probably the only person in the world who can honestly say that they have never seen either A Christmas Story or It's A Wonderful Life all the way through. But I've definitely absorbed a lot of those movies by sheer cultural osmosis. Ralphie's story seems like one where you had to have been a kid at a specific time to really appreciate the nostalgia.

One of my favorite holiday movies is not one that usually tops people's lists: The Ref. Despite Spacey's questionable reputation now, it's one of the more unique holiday comedy movies.