Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

a Loving Dog posted:

trying my damndest to get a 3080 this week. anyone know the general times certain sites like to drop?

https://discord.gg/zYj2HwVw

Join this discord and sign up for the relevant notifications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Butterfly Valley posted:

https://discord.gg/zYj2HwVw

Join this discord and sign up for the relevant notifications

I've been doing that one and uhh one called STONKS or something like that (also has ps5 notifications which I'm trying to get for my brother in law). seems like when the 3080s hit I'm always busy though, and when I'm not the furthest I've gotten is putting one in my cart, one time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

a Loving Dog posted:

I've been doing that one and uhh one called STONKS or something like that (also has ps5 notifications which I'm trying to get for my brother in law). seems like when the 3080s hit I'm always busy though, and when I'm not the furthest I've gotten is putting one in my cart, one time
Yeah it's pretty much down to luck

I was able to catch a 3070 through Newegg one time but I missed on all of the 3080 drops. Even several where I was right on top of the alert.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

spunkshui posted:

At least it costs way less next time because you can most likely leave a ton of wires alone and just swap the motherboard/cpu/gpu ect.

Def watch some youtube videos on the icue LED software for your fans. Its not intuitive but it is very powerful. You can literally make any led or group of LEDs do anything.

Its a good time to get into RGB

edit: RGB RAM PROTIP: You can change what it does while the computer is asleep. You will probably need to do this because its bright as hell.

https://qwertyarticles.com/2020/07/02/fixing-corsair-rgb-ram-running-during-sleep-mode/

I have this same ram, it is a good choice :okpos:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

Alright thanks a lot.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

I got my Zotac by using the ar stonks one. If you get it in your cart again. Leave it there(for the zotac store anyway). That why it can make checking out easier by allowing you to skip a step.

Also follow those steps for zotac they post in that discord. The paypal express link helped me check out much quicker when I got the alert.

As far as times Zotac used to put cards up weekdays every other day at 840 cst on the dot. But it seems that may have changed. Last alert for them came on saturday at 0244 cst.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ShowTime posted:

So was that posters advice not true? It didn't seem like a lot of other posters disputed it, especially right now with demand so high. I looked and couldn't find a 2070 for below 700 and the poster even provided a part picker list of the parts that had the price listed out the same.

Sorry, the math holds true, but as others have said: I would not recommend spending more than $500 on a GPU that isn't a 3070 or 3080 right now. The posted example was just to test, quick and dirty, that equivalent pricing is possible in pre-fabs.

Filthybadger
Jul 10, 2006

Hey all, I知 in need of your expert advice as I知 trying to do a piece by piece upgrade of my existing system.

My priorities are updating my CPU (am thinking of going AMD with a Ryzen 5600x), combined with a new case, motherboard, and at some point, a GeForce 3800 when stock is available so maybe mid 2021?

I知 in Australia and mostly use the machine for gaming. I知 aiming for 1440p / 144Mhz but know I知 not going to get close to that until I replace the GPU.

Here痴 my current build;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor

I知 hoping to buy a new case, motherboard and CPU in the sales in the next couple of weeks. Does what I知 thinking of doing make sense?

Any recommendations for a case with decent air flow, and a USB C front port along with a motherboard with a USB C header and onboard Wifi? I guess I値l also need the ability to flash the board to make sure it can support the new Ryzen CPU as well. The existing cooler will be replaced with the stock Ryzen option until I can get something better.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Cheapest local 3080 card is 1200 usd :thumbsup:

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Please can somebody recommend me an air cooler that will fit my case (max 157mm) to cool my 5600x? Mobo is a ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Otakufag posted:

Please can somebody recommend me an air cooler that will fit my case (max 157mm) to cool my 5600x? Mobo is a ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI).

Scythe fuma 2

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Should I worry about ram clearance? Sorry first pc build and keep hearing that term.

Otakufag fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Otakufag posted:

Should I worry about ram clearance? Sorry first pc build and keep hearing that term.

No. The cooler is offset away from the RAM slots so clearance isn't an issue.

Check the photos in this review.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 23, 2020

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Please recommend me a Micro-ATX gaming build.

• What country are you in?
    Thailand

• What are you using the system for?
    Gaming

• What's your budget?
    ~50k Baht, or around $1650. This accounts for the fact I'll need a monitor (1440p) and keyboard, as well as electronics generally being more expensive here due to VAT and import fees.

I want it to be fast, cool, and quiet. I'm currently working/playing on an aging Predator laptop whose fans are always whirring.

I want to be able to play the next crop of next-gen games on High settings (Not necesarily ultra) butter-smooth at 1440p resolution.

Also, I don't have much space. I think I will need to go with Micro-ATX, as the space I will put the case is only ~8.5 inches wide, and am worried a standard ATX will be a tad too big to fit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Are we now at a point where Intel represents good value in the midrange with stuff like the 9700K? I have seen it advertised for $250 and it seems to stack up favorably with the usual recommendation R5 3600. I guess there's no cooler included but most people are replacing stock coolers anyway, and the mobo might cost a little bit more, but it seems fairly competitive. I guess there's no upgrade path.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Filthybadger posted:

Hey all, I知 in need of your expert advice as I知 trying to do a piece by piece upgrade of my existing system.

My priorities are updating my CPU (am thinking of going AMD with a Ryzen 5600x), combined with a new case, motherboard, and at some point, a GeForce 3800 when stock is available so maybe mid 2021?

I知 in Australia and mostly use the machine for gaming. I知 aiming for 1440p / 144Mhz but know I知 not going to get close to that until I replace the GPU.

Here痴 my current build;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor

I知 hoping to buy a new case, motherboard and CPU in the sales in the next couple of weeks. Does what I知 thinking of doing make sense?

Any recommendations for a case with decent air flow, and a USB C front port along with a motherboard with a USB C header and onboard Wifi? I guess I値l also need the ability to flash the board to make sure it can support the new Ryzen CPU as well. The existing cooler will be replaced with the stock Ryzen option until I can get something better.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011201-WW

4000D airflow has the air and the USBC but you probably need 2 more fans for it because it only comes with 2.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are we now at a point where Intel represents good value in the midrange with stuff like the 9700K? I have seen it advertised for $250 and it seems to stack up favorably with the usual recommendation R5 3600. I guess there's no cooler included but most people are replacing stock coolers anyway, and the mobo might cost a little bit more, but it seems fairly competitive. I guess there's no upgrade path.

Only in the sense that 3600 prices have been weirdly in flux instead of just hanging around $200 (or just sold out), so you can conceivably get an intel on sale/in a bundle on a day 3600 prices are high and come out ahead. Plus the usual "new thing not found" problem with the 5600X.

But between a $250 intel and a $300 5600X for gaming, I'm personally going AMD 10 out of 10 times.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sorry, the math holds true, but as others have said: I would not recommend spending more than $500 on a GPU that isn't a 3070 or 3080 right now. The posted example was just to test, quick and dirty, that equivalent pricing is possible in pre-fabs.

The GPU market is so messed up right now because of availability and people wanting to play 1440p RIGHT NOW. People are legitimately buying used 16 month old 2070S's for $600+++. Used 2080Ti's are going for $900.

The new cards on the market are absolutely better and for less money, it's just that people are extremely impatient and/or aren't very informed.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
is mikec still going to update that post in time for black friday? been holding off upgrading until then

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Almost ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade. I might put a 1tb Samsung 970 evo nvme drive in there, and I was wondering:

should I keep my current boot drive which is on a cheap Kingston 240gb ssd and use the nvme for games ,
or should use the nvme for boot?

How will this affect my win10 license?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ETPC posted:

is mikec still going to update that post in time for black friday? been holding off upgrading until then

Even if he does, the stuff on there that you can actually snag on Black Friday won稚 change (ram,ssd, maybe PSU, case).

There won稚 be any reasonable deals for GPU or cpu cause demand is insane.

Erfsom posted:

Almost ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade. I might put a 1tb Samsung 970 evo nvme drive in there, and I was wondering:

should I keep my current boot drive which is on a cheap Kingston 240gb ssd and use the nvme for games ,

Boot drive on the nvme. Your license will be fine. Worst case buy one for $10 on SA mart.

You can likely get a western digital SN550 for cheaper with basically the same performance.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
im lazy as poo poo so i would probably just leave it, unless you do any disk intensive stuff right now like big photo/video editing. but if its just an expansion to a gaming/twitch/web machine eh gently caress it. easier to blow windows away. i dunno, nvme benefits just really aren't on boot/OS tasks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Erfsom posted:

Unless you're just tickled to have a Cadillac harddrive, the Western Digital SN550 will be just as good as the Samsung for 2/3rds the price...whichever you choose, use that as your boot drive.

That said, if you transfer files a lot or do lots of video editing, it may be worth the price, to you, for the Samsung. For gaming, I'd save the money and put it towards a better GPU, if possible.

Win10 should transfer, you may have to call MS to reactivate. Worst-case, avoid the phone call and get a new key from SA Mart for $15USD.

edit: oh! and if you connect your windows license to a Microsoft account, you can just log-in to Windows with that and you won't need to reactivate unless you change your CPU and/or motherboard.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

What do people think of Be Quiet PSUs? Not that I case about quietness, I am just after a cheapish PSU that I won't be scared of using, and there's a unit available that suits my needs while being a bit cheaper than the other options I like.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Cheers to the guy earlier who answered my question about my old case. I think with that, reading other peoples' builds and some other recycling I've got a shortlist of parts I'm looking at.

UK goons, are there any particular websites that're better or worse than any others? I used to use overclockers, but things could well have changed since I last built a PC.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Western Digital SN550 doesn't have as much speed as the 970 Evo Plus

However, $95 for a 1TB is sure tempting. 970 evo plus is going for about $50 more atm.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

A jargogle posted:

Cheers to the guy earlier who answered my question about my old case. I think with that, reading other peoples' builds and some other recycling I've got a shortlist of parts I'm looking at.

UK goons, are there any particular websites that're better or worse than any others? I used to use overclockers, but things could well have changed since I last built a PC.

Amazon, Scan, Ebuyer, CCL, Currys, Box are all very good. Overclockers and Novatech are ok, but both will hike prices ridiculously if they can get away with it (during the nvidia shortages, they both basically scalped the graphics cards) during shortages, so usually try to steer people away from those.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Funso Banjo posted:

What do people think of Be Quiet PSUs? Not that I case about quietness, I am just after a cheapish PSU that I won't be scared of using, and there's a unit available that suits my needs while being a bit cheaper than the other options I like.

They seem pretty well regarded given their entire thing is being quiet so I see them used a lot in video editing builds. I've yet to use anything from them that's bad though, I use their case fans in my current case and it's super nice.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Quick fingers resulted in a nab of the 5800x on amazon. Id probably prefer the 5600x but wondering if I should just get the 10700k/10600k and enjoy it now vs waiting till January when it ships.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Western Digital SN550 doesn't have as much speed as the 970 Evo Plus

However, $95 for a 1TB is sure tempting. 970 evo plus is going for about $50 more atm.

You won't notice any speed difference 99% of the time

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Munkaboo posted:

Quick fingers resulted in a nab of the 5800x on amazon. Id probably prefer the 5600x but wondering if I should just get the 10700k/10600k and enjoy it now vs waiting till January when it ships.

Wait a day or two and see if the ship date changes. I had an Amazon order for a 5800X that originally showed January that changed to early December a day later.

Mu Zeta posted:

You won't notice any speed difference 99% of the time

The SN550 literally wins some game loading benchmarks over "faster" SSDs.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Samsung 860 EVO on sale, those still good?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Munkaboo posted:

sean10mm posted:

Wait a day or two and see if the ship date changes. I had an Amazon order for a 5800X that originally showed January that changed to early December a day later.
Definitely think on it for a couple days; I had a January 1st - 4th, 2021 delivery estimate for the 5800X that is currently sitting on my desk :)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks for that StockDrops discord, but holy poo poo do you need to be really lucky or be a bot to get anything. I was browsing it, saw a notification for a 3090 pop as I was browsing, so tried to get it and within 15 seconds it was sold out.

I'm basically just gonna try and grab any 3070, 3080 or 3090 I can find and build from there. If i can't get one next week i'll probably just take the plunge and buy something prebuilt, because I really want to get a new system going to play while i'm off work.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
So, apparently, ray tracing will only be offered on nvidia GPU's for Cyberpunk's launch, if that changes anyone's decisions.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ShowTime posted:

Thanks for that StockDrops discord, but holy poo poo do you need to be really lucky or be a bot to get anything. I was browsing it, saw a notification for a 3090 pop as I was browsing, so tried to get it and within 15 seconds it was sold out.

I'm basically just gonna try and grab any 3070, 3080 or 3090 I can find and build from there. If i can't get one next week i'll probably just take the plunge and buy something prebuilt, because I really want to get a new system going to play while i'm off work.

If you are this desperate, take the plunge and just buy a brand new 3070/3080 off of ebay imho. You don't need a 3090, it's more of a professional card, it's absolutely massive, and it's $1500++. Don't pay for a pre-built with something from the last generation.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, apparently, ray tracing will only be offered on nvidia GPU's for Cyberpunk's launch, if that changes anyone's decisions.

that changes my position from unable to acquire to definitely unable to acquire

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
For what it's worth, the newegg bundled drops have been the easiest to snag for my group of friends. It's lovely, because you have to return the other part. But a friend was able to snag me a 3070 and himself a 3080. Now he has two motherboards and a power supply to return but... you know. New graphics cards! :v:

Setup apple pay --> set notifications for the bundles --> make sure you are logged in --> insta-purchase when available

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If you are this desperate, take the plunge and just buy a brand new 3070/3080 off of ebay imho. You don't need a 3090, it's more of a professional card, it's absolutely massive, and it's $1500++. Don't pay for a pre-built with something from the last generation.

Im not supporting scalpers but ive seen some pretty "reasonable" scalping (considering they're absorbing tax) on craigslist vs ebay, especially on the 3070.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everything I have seen on eBay is like 2x retail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bus hustler posted:

Im not supporting scalpers but ive seen some pretty "reasonable" scalping (considering they're absorbing tax) on craigslist vs ebay.

Yea, I guess I should have just said secondary market anywhere. I totally don't agree with it either, but if you are desperate, they are out there to be had for a couple hundred over I think.