Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Celexi posted:

can't get any more villain with hiring Pinkertons lmao

I mean, you could work for them, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Celexi posted:

can't get any more villain with hiring Pinkertons lmao

just wait until he starts hiring Blackwater Academi

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Inceltown posted:

https://twitter.com/emilycmulligan/status/1330986990397841408

5 dead workers in 2 months. You're 10 times more likely to die riding a bike for Uber in Sydney than being a cop in Australia.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there something about Uber Eats specifically which is causing accidents or are drivers just really, really poo poo at dealing with cyclists of any sort?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PT6A posted:

Is there something about Uber Eats specifically which is causing accidents or are drivers just really, really poo poo at dealing with cyclists of any sort?

i imagine some of it has to do with amazoning the workers

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

PT6A posted:

It's both.

Every independent-contractor delivery app puts its workers under insane pressure to hit metrics that are essentially impossible to make if their employees free and independent contractors follow the law.

Also, most drivers are somewhere between ignoring the rules of the road when they see a bike, and actively lusting for cyclist blood.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Airplanes are incredibly useful, and they're not going to go away even in a perfect post-carbon world. Hydrocarbon fuels are also almost certainly going to stick around in general. Their energy density is just too drat useful to pass up.

The ideal state is that we drastically decrease the need for hydrocarbon fuels and stop extracting them from fossil sources. There are already processes for turning biomass into jet fuel. As long as you can farm that biomass in a sustainable way (which is itself a big challenge, don't get me wrong) then you can have jets without net carbon emissions.

Yeah, this. Assuming civilisation doesn't collapse in the next few decades there will probably be aircraft using hydrocarbon fuel for centuries to come.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Space Gopher posted:

It's both.

Every independent-contractor delivery app puts its workers under insane pressure to hit metrics that are essentially impossible to make if their employees free and independent contractors follow the law.

Also, most drivers are somewhere between ignoring the rules of the road when they see a bike, and actively lusting for cyclist blood.

I'm quite familiar with a lot of those delivery riders (mostly because I'm a commuting cyclist). Frankly since the pandemic started cycling around Sydney has gotten considerably easier and safer. There is simply not the volume of traffic and there has been a real push to put in extra cycling infrastructure in places where it was desperatly needed. Drivers have been in the main far more considerate and observant of cyclists too so it's not a bloodsport to cycle in Sydney anymore. The crazy idiot rule breaking cyclist have been replaced by a larger number of law abiding not reckless commuting cyclists so visibility is way up. So if anything, cycling accidents should be down even witth he increases in cycling activity

The delivery riders have increased too but these riders are noticably problematic. Many are not particularly skilled cyclists on heavy hard to hand e-bikes with heavy backpacks. A number also ride on multi lane roads that most commuters and experienced riders wouldn't even dare even on the best of days. It's noticable delivery riders as the ones who regularly break traffic rules. Many of these riders I think are foreign students who would be normally working other jobs that arent availible at the moment. So you have a group of riders who are not familiar with cycling in Sydney, are not obeying formal road rules and informal rules commuting cyclists have learned. Also on top of that, the weather has been windy and wet. Oh and commuting cyclists are going to be more sticking to cycling infrastructure, delivery riders don't have that luxury - like their GPS is telling them to take Parramatta Road because thats the fastest route and they dont know any other way while a commuter with years knowledge would be OH gently caress NO I'm going via Harris and Drummoyne.

While I believe some of these riders have been found on the face of it to be at fault for the accident, you should not (I dont) dismiss "Yes well they did the wrong thing so...." - there is something else going on that is pushing these delivery riders to make mistakes. There is clearly something not right in how these delivery riders are trained (Do they even GET training???) and monitoring that they are remaining safe while doing their job. There is clearly something not right in making sure the delivery riders are competent riders. And there is def something not right in making delivery riders have heavy and large back packs that must be a right gently caress to have on your back on a bike in crosswinds.

So here's my take. It's delivery companies who dont give one iota of a poo poo about employing unskilled riders working on unfamiliar roads in adverse conditions with poo poo equipment and demanding they make unrealistic metrics that leads to so horrible risk taking and accidents that your core problem. And I aint seen anyone say poo poo about how to fix it, except the same loving handwringing "Oh what a tragety"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

While I believe some of these riders have been found on the face of it to be at fault for the accident, you should not (I dont) dismiss "Yes well they did the wrong thing so...." - there is something else going on that is pushing these delivery riders to make mistakes. There is clearly something not right in how these delivery riders are trained (Do they even GET training???)

I feel it's a safe guess that they don''t. Gig economy!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So here's my take. It's delivery companies who dont give one iota of a poo poo about employing unskilled riders working on unfamiliar roads in adverse conditions with poo poo equipment and demanding they make unrealistic metrics that leads to so horrible risk taking and accidents that your core problem. And I aint seen anyone say poo poo about how to fix it, except the same loving handwringing "Oh what a tragety"

If the rules for a contractor are similar to the US they literally can't train them or it make them employees and we can't have that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1331707774334427137?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

we don’t have much smart stuff really but when i see poo poo like this i increasingly read up on locally hosted nonsense

i figure if that all goes down i probably have other worries

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/comcast/status/1330971021260754944

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1331109299456794624

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1331698788436676628

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Comcast data cap of 1.2 TB has been around for years. I've gone over it once because I downloaded the Geocities torrent looking for one specific file.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Comcast data cap of 1.2 TB has been around for years. I've gone over it once because I downloaded the Geocities torrent looking for one specific file.

they didn't have the cap in markets that they had competition, now they don't care because gently caress you

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I can't find the Tweet or story now, but I remember that fun story from CES, I think, where a network or power outage locked everybody's phones in a fancy, locking charging case.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Wait, is that like, every single geocities site? Well poo poo, I gotta go :ninja:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

aware of dog posted:

Wait, is that like, every single geocities site? Well poo poo, I gotta go :ninja:

Don't worry, the most important one was mirrored:

https://www.angelfire.com/nc/KARMA2BURN/trailerpark2.html

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I can't find the Tweet or story now, but I remember that fun story from CES, I think, where a network or power outage locked everybody's phones in a fancy, locking charging case.

What the gently caress.

Never buy anything that doesn't work if it can't phone home to the mothership.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
You mean, like a MacBook?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My Mini is perfectly capable of working without my crappy Canadian internet, goml.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Everyone ready for the stupidest thing you'll see this week?

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331768622960635906?s=20

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Everyone ready for the stupidest thing you'll see this week?

https://twitter.com/Scobleizer/status/1331768622960635906?s=20

Don't read the replies

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

Don't read the replies

I did and I look what I found!

https://twitter.com/jamesdpitley/status/1331847221633925123?s=21

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Jose Valasquez posted:

Don't read the replies

Ayyyyy

https://twitter.com/crowkneecapital/status/1331800190265815043?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Blood for the algorithm

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Every death brings us one step closer to an extra few minutes of sleep on our way to work and by God Elon Musk is willing to pay that price with the best labor he can bilk.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The currency of the future is stock in companies that have no path to profitability.

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1331351888600707080

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
They'll be more profitable once they have to pay fewer of those pesky wages!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What will be the exchange rate between Uber stock certificates and bullets in the future?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Doggles posted:

The currency of the future is stock in companies that have no path to profitability.

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1331351888600707080

loving lol

Equity in a company that is openly, proudly haemorrhaging money, brought in just as the company hits a growth plateau

I can't imagine why the shareholders of these companies are willing to give away stock

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

We’re five minutes away from company scrip again, aren’t we?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

California's Prop 22 is bearing all sorts of fruit, you just hate to see it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

We’re five minutes away from company scrip again, aren’t we?

You get more pay but have to buy through the company app and can only spend your ubercoin at company approved vendors. Pay your rent? gently caress no.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

loving lol

Equity in a company that is openly, proudly haemorrhaging money, brought in just as the company hits a growth plateau

I can't imagine why the shareholders of these companies are willing to give away stock

I doubt it will involve selling shareholders' shares. But in true gig economy style, it will probably be lose-lose for everyone. If they're issuing these shares from the employee stock option pool, then existing employees get screwed. If they're issuing more shares for it, then other shareholders would get diluted, too. Ultimately the only people who will have benefited will be those who got in very early and then handed off the bag and bailed when the timing was right.

It's like the financing version of food delivery services that end up being more expensive, less convenient, and less profitable for all stakeholders, including users.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

You get more pay but have to buy through the company app and can only spend your ubercoin at company approved vendors. Pay your rent? gently caress no.

Oh but the company partners with a 'bunk sharing' app that will be happy to take your ubercoin in return for a slot at one of their barracks 6 hours a day.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Smeef posted:

It's like the financing version of food delivery services that end up being more expensive, less convenient, and less profitable for all stakeholders, including users.

well there is one stakeholder always winning: the banks doing the transactions

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why limit yourself to just company scrip, we're heading back to the full on company town

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1332389952890564608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ByronTau/status/1332352053956534274