Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

At this point I'm just waiting for the journal covers to come out, because such heirloom-quality covers deserve to keep being used after filling up one journal's worth of writing

Pixelante posted:

Same. It would help with my paralysis if I knew I could reuse the cover.

e: Musubi artisans have disabilities, so it's a social enterprise as well as a business.

*panic intensifies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sure would be cool to have a reusable Musubi cover. I agree.

Oh didn't see you there Kessel I was just thinking out loud

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Notebook chat: i recently bought a Lochby Field Journal (https://www.lochby.com/collections/frontpage/products/field-journal) and it's a great product. Their notebooks are pretty utilitarian, but use Tomoe River 68gsm paper, and you can fit a bunch of them inside their field journal.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I started keeping a diary in my musubi so that my future grandkids can stumble into the gorgeous cover only to find out it’s me griping and moaning about goony stuff and coronavirus.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
drat you, Cana....

Sorry

*checks notes*

drat you, Intelcom, deliver my ugly, gaudy Delta! :argh:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Nine of Eight posted:

I started keeping a diary in my musubi so that my future grandkids can stumble into the gorgeous cover only to find out it’s me griping and moaning about goony stuff and coronavirus.

Hell, the musubi looks awesome but it is too much even for me and I am not cheap when it comes to note/sketchbooks

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Heath posted:

Sure would be cool to have a reusable Musubi cover. I agree.

Oh didn't see you there Kessel I was just thinking out loud

Hmmm... that would be pretty nice...

Unfortunately Musubi stuff is out of my price range. Gorgeous stuff, though.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am so hype for those journal covers

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh Delta, you were too beautiful for this world.

(yes, the text being offset is driving me a bit nuts)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been happy with my little notebook with Tomoe River paper, but looking at Goulet, I see a notebook with a nice cover that has Clairefontaine paper. Aside from seeing that the paper is thicker, does anyone have opinions on Clairefontaine?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

taiyoko posted:

I've been happy with my little notebook with Tomoe River paper, but looking at Goulet, I see a notebook with a nice cover that has Clairefontaine paper. Aside from seeing that the paper is thicker, does anyone have opinions on Clairefontaine?

My opinion is that it is very nice, super smooth without being slick, thin but low on see-through, no feathering. Basically ideal fountainpen paper. Unfortunately I have no experience with Tomoe and only last month ordered some Rhodia that I still need to unpack and test, but Clairefontaine is just very, very nice. Money well spend.
Now I just checked Goulets offerings and those notebooks are a steal!

Oh drat, only now I find out the store I buy stuff at also sells them. Hmmm, I have some stuff in backorder, I think they can lump it in. Let's email them.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 26, 2020

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I ended up ordering one of these with my Christmas presents order so now I'm psyched. I'm not going financially crazy on presents, but one friend is getting a Jinhao x750 and some ink samples to put in it, the other is getting an Ink Miser and a couple samples of some nice black inks (since he mostly uses his for signing things that require black ink) that aren't "whatever Amazon ink that said it was for fountain pens".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You have made sure those inks are water-resistant right?

You really don't want to sign things with anything else.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

You have made sure those inks are water-resistant right?

You really don't want to sign things with anything else.

I don't know what the stuff he got off Amazon is, but one of the samples I nabbed was De Atrementis Document Black.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oohh ha ha hah hehehehehehehehehe haha

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got a really good deal on a recent Wahl-Eversharp Skyline:

It's a sharp-looking pen. Made to the exact dimensions of the vintage pens but uses a modern converter instead of a lever filler. Which is good for me as I'm not really interested in repairing sacs or keeping up with maintenance more complex than flushing it out once in a while.

I love the Art Deco look, but the most interesting aspect of the pen is the nib. It's a steel nib coated in a special ceramic compound that supposedly makes it a semi-flex. Trying it out and it seems to work ok; don't need a lot of pressure to get some line variation, but it's really not that much from the regular line it produces. Just enough to get a small flourish.

Filled it up with some Robert Oster Toffee and made a little writing sample in a Stalogy 365 notebook (forgive my awful handwriting):

By far the oddest design decision made on the pen is this:

See that knurled part sticking out of the end? That's the end of the converter. The body and section of the pen is all one piece, so the converter has to be filled blind.

Overall though, it's a fantastic writer and very nicely made. I'll be keeping it in my regular pen rotation from now on.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A nice pen and a nice pen stand!

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

really cool!!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Waterman ink decent quality? Looking for decent but cheap ink to refill a Pilot Metropolitan.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is Waterman ink decent quality? Looking for decent but cheap ink to refill a Pilot Metropolitan.

It sure is! If I hadn't already bought a zillion inks I'd be quite happy to just use Serenity Blue forever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Serenity Blue is $6 for 50ml on Amazon right now, so that's what I'm going with as soon as I get paid on Monday.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anybody know much about typewriters? I'm tempted to buy one for writing longer letters, but I have no idea what to look for in one.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I bought one off a goodwill equivalent, disassembled it, cleaned it, replaced the original real damaged cardboard on the bottom with sound-absorbing foam and installed a new Pelikan tape.

Look for the ones without one (the number) going the antique route.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Serenity Blue is $6 for 50ml on Amazon right now, so that's what I'm going with as soon as I get paid on Monday.

You can write so much with that! Would it be weird if I now want for you to accept my offer to send you a fountain pen care package that you may open on Christmas morning?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's incredibly generous of you, I'd love that. I actually bought the Pilot for my partner, who does way more handwriting and calligraphy type stuff than I do, but I've started using it whenever I have to write something by hand too, it feels so much better.

E: How much is in one of the cartridges anyway? Is it like 3ml, 5ml?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 29, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Less. Below 1ml for the standard size.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wow, that 50ml should last forever then as long as it stays capped so it doesn't dry out. I might also pick up some purple or something flashy for my partner later.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wow, that 50ml should last forever then as long as it stays capped so it doesn't dry out. I might also pick up some purple or something flashy for my partner later.
My friend, there are such wonders for you to behold here: https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/ink-samples?offset=72

I started with one pilot metro and one bottle of Waterman's blue ink. Six months later I had 30 plus pens (many were $3 chinese pens) probably 50-ish samples, a bunch of 15ml Diamine bottles, and a lifetime supply of montverde ink from the "buy one of these pens, get this ink free" special that Goulet ran a few christmasses ago.

I've culled a lot since then learning what I like, but this is not an uncommon story.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 29, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

stealie72 posted:

My friend, there are such wonders for you to behold here: https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/ink-samples?offset=72

I started with one pilot metro and one bottle of Waterman's blue ink. Six months later I had 30 plus pens (many were $3 chinese pens) probably 50-ish samples, a bunch of 15ml Diamine bottles, and a lifetime supply of montverde ink from the "buy one of these pens, get this ink free" special that Goulet ran a few christmasses ago.

I've culled a lot since then learning what I like, but this is not an uncommon story.

Hey, you are me!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, another question. Is it feasible to have multiple squeezable ink things loaded with different colors, or would they just drain their ink onto whatever you stored them in? Might have to get another one or two pens for different colors depending on what my partner wants, at $20 each the Pilots are a drat good deal. Especially with how much she writes, I messed up and spilled some ink by squeezing too hard at first but she still got through an entire cartridge in less than a week and a half, she does a ton of journaling by hand.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You need to flush the pen between switching inks. Same effort to just use one converter.

Unless you have multiple pens, which, uh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It might be happening, any recommendations for a rosewood bodied pen? She's going to want multiple ink colors I'm pretty sure and rosewood is exactly the kind of thing she would want as a Christmas present. I see the Luxun one on Amazon has pretty good reviews but I don't trust Amazon reviews of Chinese products because it seems like a ton of them have paid reviews.

E: I forgot rosewood is endangered from some areas, any sort of burgundy wood would suit her.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 29, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It might be happening, any recommendations for a rosewood bodied pen? She's going to want multiple ink colors I'm pretty sure and rosewood is exactly the kind of thing she would want as a Christmas present. I see the Luxun one on Amazon has pretty good reviews but I don't trust Amazon reviews of Chinese products because it seems like a ton of them have paid reviews.

E: I forgot rosewood is endangered from some areas, any sort of burgundy wood would suit her.

https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Pen-Company-Fountain-36915/dp/B009P1R9KE/

Online is a German brand and makes good quality pens. They do have a couple of pens that use rosewood as well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll look at those.

Are cartridges basically universal? Thinking about getting a set of cartridges for the next couple days / emergency backup if we run out of ink. A local store has "Manuscript" ink for $3.50 for a 12-pack of cartridges, which is still more expensive than a bottle but not terrible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Would it be weird if I just sat in my car and deep tongue kissed a fountain pen for a few hours?

grack fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 29, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll look at those.

Are cartridges basically universal? Thinking about getting a set of cartridges for the next couple days / emergency backup if we run out of ink. A local store has "Manuscript" ink for $3.50 for a 12-pack of cartridges, which is still more expensive than a bottle but not terrible.

Lol no. That would require cooperation between brands and we can't have that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

Would it be weird if I just sat in my car and deep tongue kissed a fountain pen for a few hours?

Only if it's inked.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

iospace posted:

Lol no. That would require cooperation between brands and we can't have that.

:sad:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Other than the official Pilot ones, are there any cartridges that fit a Pilot Metro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grack posted:

Ah yes, "nib work".